DeFelippo to Bears (QB Coach)

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

TheWorldBreaker
MVP

G08 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:41 pm Other teams wanted him so I'm sure we are compensating him at a greater rate than your typical QB coach.

I don't think he would have come here if he didn't think he could work with Trubisky. As has already been mentioned in this thread, if he gets the kid to play well he's going to be a hot name in the coaching community. Dude has a bit of a reputation of wanting to "climb the ladder", so I hope he's able to stay in his lane as a QB coach and not step on toes.
I don’t think it’s an issue. When Nagy was hired he said one of the things he liked about Reid is that the offensive staff would meet and discuss plays, and anyone could draw them up on the whiteboard, so he wanted to bring that collaborative environment to Chicago. Considering the reports that Ragone was promoted because of his play designs, it would appear he has brought that collaborative environment to Chicago.

Maybe focusing on developing the QB’s will be an issue because of this and his previous experiences as an OC. But I hope not. Although with Trubisky, I’m not sure anyone can fix him.
G08
Hall of Famer

“[DeFilippo] will be outstanding,” said Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins, who worked with him in Minnesota . “He’s a great coach. He’s been around this league for a long time. I think it says a lot when someone like [Bears coach] Matt Nagy who knows quarterbacks so well hires him. I think that says a lot about ‘Flip.’

“When you look at what he did with Carson Wentz as a young player, I think there’s a lot to like there and he’s going to add a lot to that staff. I guess it’s going to be to my detriment because we’re in his division, but he’s a great coach.”
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

dave99 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:06 pm Interesting piece on his success with different quarterbacks in the red zone.

http://sportsmockery.com/2020/01/john-d ... est-flaws/
What stood out to me most was "Trubisky was terrible at it [red zone passing] in 2019. He completed just 31 of 61 passes in that area of the field for 178 yards, 14 touchdowns, and four interceptions, That equated to a 69.19 passer rating. By contrast, DeFilippo coached Gardner Minshew most of the season. He finished with a passer rating of 91.59.

Let that sink in. A rookie 6th round pick had a rating 22.4 points higher than Trubisky."

I don't know it its lack of talent on Trubs part; poor coaching or both? After this season we'll find out since DeFilippo has coached rookies into efficient RZ passers.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Kylo Bearen wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:16 pm
dave99 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:06 pm Interesting piece on his success with different quarterbacks in the red zone.

http://sportsmockery.com/2020/01/john-d ... est-flaws/
What stood out to me most was "Trubisky was terrible at it [red zone passing] in 2019. He completed just 31 of 61 passes in that area of the field for 178 yards, 14 touchdowns, and four interceptions, That equated to a 69.19 passer rating. By contrast, DeFilippo coached Gardner Minshew most of the season. He finished with a passer rating of 91.59.

Let that sink in. A rookie 6th round pick had a rating 22.4 points higher than Trubisky."

I don't know it its lack of talent on Trubs part; poor coaching or both? After this season we'll find out since DeFilippo has coached rookies into efficient RZ passers.
Well, the Jags did also have the consistent threat of a running attack, averaging 5.1 ypc over the season. Whereas the bears did not, averaging 3.9 ypc.

Not really defending Trubisky and his struggles, but it wasn't like anything on offense worked consistently and they pretty much were devoid of TE contributions all year until the last few games.