Trubisky for Foles

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

So I'm golfing yesterday and we get matched up with another pair, one of them is a season ticket holder for Jacksonville. He's swearing up and down that there's already a deal to send Trubisky to Jacksonville for Nick Foles, they just haven't announced it yet.

For the record, I don't believe him and I told him so. To his face, in cursive.

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I don't buy it. Under the hypothetical though, I'd try and get Jax to convert the 5M 2020 roster bonus to a signing bonus so they'd pick up the cap hit. Then the Bears would only be on the hook for 3/50 with no guarantees past this year.
docc
Head Coach

NFW...
cblaz11
MVP

Well....Would you do it?

Let’s say we have to eat 15 mill per year of Foles contract for 3 years. Would you trade Mitch for him straight up?
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

You guys. Foles couldn't hit the broad side of a barn when he played for the Rams in St. Louis. Foles went to the Superbowl and won the whole thing UNDER THE GUIDANCE of QB coach John Defillipo, the now QB Coach for the Bears.
Richie
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:34 pm You guys. Foles couldn't hit the broad side of a barn when he played for the Rams in St. Louis. Foles went to the Superbowl and won the whole thing UNDER THE GUIDANCE of QB coach John Defillipo, the now QB Coach for the Bears.
Well, first off, he would be running a version of that offense now with the same QB coach. So...

He also had a magical 2013 season under Chip Kelly where he threw 27 TD's 2 INT's and also led the league in passer rating, I believe. What QB hasn't looked horrendous under Fisher past roughly the mid-00's?

I don't know if I would do it and I don't buy this for a minute. I probably wouldn't be upset, though. I would feel bad for Mitch going off to rot and die in Jacksonville. That would totally seal any hopes of him catching a late career wind like a Tannehill or somebody.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

You know one time I was driving down the highway and I saw this gray colored oval shaped object flying in the sky. It was a great distance away. I said out loud to myself that there was no fucking way it was what I thought it was.

Now please understand that I do not believe aliens have visited Earth. Yeah the universe is infinite so they gotta be real, but I digress.

As I continued to drive the road curved towards the object so I got a lot closer over the course of a couple minutes.

It wound up being a blimp and I started laughing my ass off.

The Mitch for Foles story reminds me of that.
Z Bear
MVP

I live in Jacksonville and have not heard one peep of this on the local sports talk shows.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Well, the guy also cleaned his club and put a head cover back on after every shot. Even if he dribbled the ball 30 feet, he'd clean his club then put the cover on, walk 30 feet, and start his stupid preswing ritual again. Anyone this annoying is probably also a liar. It was a LONG day.
wab
Mod

What is going on around here lately...
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:16 am What is going on around here lately...
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Bears fans aren't the only ones to play the offseason conjecture games. I doubt the management of either team is getting guidance from the fans.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:30 am Bears fans aren't the only ones to play the offseason conjecture games. I doubt the management of either team is getting guidance from the fans.
Dear Mr. Pace,

As a life long Bears fan, I am writing you to present my ideas for the Chicago Bears 2020 off season plan. Of course you will question my credentials, and I have kindly attached a CV along with my 12 page, 134 point off season power point presentation. A few highlights of my astute football accumen.
1. Winner of the "coaches award" of my 5th grade PeeWee Football Team
2. Two year varsity letter and starter on my 1-8 and 3-6 high school football teams (I played DE just like you!)
3. Watch nearly every Bears game and stay sober for nearly half of them
4. Watch almost the whole game every time, except after Jay Cutler's third interception, then I go rake leaves.
5. Self published thousands of internet forum rants. Unfortunately many are lost due to a recent server crash, so I cannot provide you my full library, but a highlight of my best posts are found on appendix B of my CV.

I hope you will consider these plans. Please contact me at the below number with any follow up questions.

P.S. I used the standard settings on my fanspeak mock draft. I don't know which draft board you guys use, but if you want me to re-run any scenarios, please just shoot me a quick note with the preferred settings.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Nice work, Cooler!

But what about Analytics?

It might get his attention if you scour the net for positive things like Trubisky bringing his Interception % down from 2.8% in 2018 to 1.9% in 2019.

Make yourself useful for our Space Age GM.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK edit: Let's not go there
Drone7
Player of the Month

LOL
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Drone7 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:30 am Nice work, Cooler!

But what about Analytics?

It might get his attention if you scour the net for positive things like Trubisky bringing his Interception % down from 2.8% in 2018 to 1.9% in 2019.

Make yourself useful for our Space Age GM.
Whoa there. The good stats are behind a pay wall. Thanks for reminding me though so that I can provide my venmo ID to Mr. Pace. Only 39.99 a month for Pro and 179.99 for Enterprise.
Drone7
Player of the Month

:)

It's only business.
dplank
Hall of Famer

In the imaginary world that this deal might actually occur, I'd be very happy about it. I'm not a huge Foles fan, but believe he's significantly better than Mitch.
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

I would, as the kids say, Yeet Ryan Pace into the void if he were to do this.
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:33 am UOK edit: Let's not go there
Dude. This is like when you edited my poem about Green Bay and fat chicks. :)

I’ll stay positive man.

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:01 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:33 am UOK edit: Let's not go there
Dude. This is like when you edited my poem about Green Bay and fat chicks. :)
I told you not to rhyme punt and g***
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
IE
Hall of Famer

On a hypothetical ledger filled with "OK -fine" on the left side and "NFW - that's stupid"on the other ... this trade concept would fall to the left.

Mariota, Foles, draft pick concepts on the left. Winston, dinosaur (Brady, Rivers) or "put it all on Mitch & spin the wheel" on the right.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
wab
Mod

Nick Foles had one good year in 2013 and one magical year in 2017. He's been with four different teams (5 if you count the Eagles twice ). He's been traded or cut from every team he's been on. He was benched for Case Keenum...twice. He started 4 whole games last season.

Aside from him just being, you know, not Mitch...someone is going to need to tell me why this makes any goddamn sense at all.
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:49 am Nick Foles had one good year in 2013 and one magical year in 2017. He's been with four different teams (5 if you count the Eagles twice ). He's been traded or cut from every team he's been on. He was benched for Case Keenum...twice. He started 4 whole games last season.

Aside from him just being, you know, not Mitch...someone is going to need to tell me why this makes any goddamn sense at all.
Yeah, I think there is a lot of evidence that Foles' success is tied to Philly. I wouldn't even consider if it weren't for the QB coach. But I also should have said cost is a huge factor. Would Jax absorb some of the cost of that signing to unburden themselves from part? Maybe. Would they take a flyer on Trubisky in a one-year tryout and let him compete with Minshew? Maybe. There IS a lot of "not Mitch" to this proposal/idea. My personal take on that is because I believe he'll never develop into a Nagy QB. And Nagy won't change. That's just my belief.

I wouldn't favor this deal, but I'd be "fine with" it. Most moves I'm not too emotional about, honestly. I just need to see the rationale, or upside to a move. This wouldn't be one I'd object to. At a decent cost. With the QB coach on board.
wab
Mod

IE wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:56 am
wab wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:49 am Nick Foles had one good year in 2013 and one magical year in 2017. He's been with four different teams (5 if you count the Eagles twice ). He's been traded or cut from every team he's been on. He was benched for Case Keenum...twice. He started 4 whole games last season.

Yeah, I think there is a lot of evidence that Foles' success is tied to Philly. I wouldn't even consider if it weren't for the QB coach. But I also should have said cost is a huge factor. Would Jax absorb some of the cost of that signing to unburden themselves from part? Maybe. Would they take a flyer on Trubisky in a one-year tryout and let him compete with Minshew? Maybe. There IS a lot of "not Mitch" to this proposal/idea. My personal take on that is because I believe he'll never develop into a Nagy QB. And Nagy won't change. That's just my belief.

I wouldn't favor this deal, but I'd be "fine with" it. Most moves I'm not too emotional about, honestly. I just need to see the rationale, or upside to a move. This wouldn't be one I'd object to. At a decent cost. With the QB coach on board.
I'd be livid. Not because I think Mitch is currently some amazing QB, but because Foles is an expensive yet marginal 31 year old QB with a spotty record who's value and ability is being overstated due to essentially one year.

I'd rather the Bears use the QB coach who squeezed blood from a turnip with Foles, and try and do the same thing with a younger and more athletically gifted player.

Foles is Mike Glennon with two good years.
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:02 pm
IE wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:56 am

I'd be livid. Not because I think Mitch is currently some amazing QB, but because Foles is an expensive yet marginal 31 year old QB with a spotty record who's value and ability is being overstated due to essentially one year.

I'd rather the Bears use the QB coach who squeezed blood from a turnip with Foles, and try and do the same thing with a younger and more athletically gifted player.

Foles is Mike Glennon with two good years.
You're probably right. The reason I'd be OK-fine with it would simply be because to me that would be a clear signal that the Bears decided that 10 is not for them for whatever reason. It would be a change in direction and bridge to the future plus try to win now, and I'd respect and get behind that.
Drone7
Player of the Month

A lot of athletic QBs don't have a head for the game. So they don't pan out. That really needs to be kept in mind given how Trubisky has looked.

Time for true competition at the QB position. It will be interesting what they do at #2. Daniel knew the scheme, but hadn't played much for a guy with a lot of years in the league. And lacked the physical skills to push Trubisky. He was content to make a lot of dough handling the clipboard.
UOK
Site Admin

Drone7 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:35 pm Time for true competition at the QB position. It will be interesting what they do at #2. Daniel knew the scheme, but hadn't played much for a guy with a lot of years in the league. And lacked the physical skills to push Trubisky. He was content to make a lot of dough handling the clipboard.
Daniel was a QB coach who happened to still be an active player. He and Bray both.

If the Bears go into 2020 with Daniel and Bray as the backups, I'll start to wonder if Ryan Pace really is as bad as a lot of people seem to think he is.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

didn't Pace say he should/would draft a QB every year?

yes, he did

has he?

no, he has not

it is Trubisky or bust for him ... he made what I still consider a huge over-payment to get him, anointed him as the QB he truly wanted, and has not bothered to bring in anyone who might pose actual competition for the QB position ... so I don't see where discussions to the contrary is worth having

if Pace changes his mind on this, I would hope it would be for a brighter possibility than Foles

but again, when you consider what he did with Glennon and the trade for Trubisky, I guess anything is possible
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin