Release / Trade Candidates

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

BamaBear09 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:14 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:48 pm

There's nothing in the collective bargaining text about rescinding a 5th year option. The term rescind isn't even ever used in the CBA.

There's just the date they can cut him by getting out of the guarantee. But they'd be releasing him, thus no draft comp credit.
This is incorrect, teams can rescind the 5th year option and let a player walk and he would be eligible for a comp pick... per BradOTC on twitter, he's an overthecap.com guy who follows the Bears
Well it's not covered in the CBA anywhere then...
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:32 pm
BamaBear09 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:14 pm

This is incorrect, teams can rescind the 5th year option and let a player walk and he would be eligible for a comp pick... per BradOTC on twitter, he's an overthecap.com guy who follows the Bears
Well it's not covered in the CBA anywhere then...
As long as it happens before the start of the new league year at 4pm on March 18th, 2020
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I replied to the tweet and then DMed him for more details. Again, I read through the CBA text and can't find any info on the ability to rescind that option. The comp formula stuff doesn't appear to be in the actual CBA, but you'd figure if that 5th year could be rescinded after the initial exercise date those terms would be covered.

Eta- he is replying to my DMs but I guess I'm still a little skeptical. But I'll pass along any info he shares. For instance he didn't know of a situation of this exact situation happening recently. I found some articles that talked about the Dolphins maybe rescinding Juwuan Jones option in 2018, but they ultimately decided not to. But sometimes casual beat writers play pretty loose with terms like rescinding and what not, and again, with the term rescind not even showing up when I search the CBA text, it's either very esoteric or this isn't what we think it is.

But if there isn't precedent of this happening, I wouldn't hold my breath either way. Beyond the strict reading of the rules/law maybe there is a good reason it doesn't and won't happen.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Nothing too detailed with my DMs with BradOTC, but he did reiterate specifically that Floyd would be draft comp eligible, even though he really didn't give me specifics where rescinding is supported within the CBA, which is my biggest curiosity. My rabbit hole found plenty of articles speculating 1st rounders would have their option rescinded, but none that ever did, even in cases where pundits/fans seemed pretty sure they would be (Beasley last year being an example).

So if history is any indication I'm going to go with an extension or just riding out the option as the most likely outcomes. At this point it's even possible Pace isn't counting on being draft comp positive in this round of FA which would certainly make it a moot point.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:40 pm Nothing too detailed with my DMs with BradOTC, but he did reiterate specifically that Floyd would be draft comp eligible, even though he really didn't give me specifics where rescinding is supported within the CBA, which is my biggest curiosity. My rabbit hole found plenty of articles speculating 1st rounders would have their option rescinded, but none that ever did, even in cases where pundits/fans seemed pretty sure they would be (Beasley last year being an example).

So if history is any indication I'm going to go with an extension or just riding out the option as the most likely outcomes. At this point it's even possible Pace isn't counting on being draft comp positive in this round of FA which would certainly make it a moot point.
Yeah I agree, I don't believe they will rescind... probably why no one has done it yet, they don't want to be the first team to do it. I just hope that they can get an extension worked out to bring down that cap number it is very much too high to give an edge setting defender who can't get to the QB...
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

A couple last good nuggets from him. They closed the loophole on the vet options but not rookies because
So the reasoning there is that rookie 5th year options aren’t negotiated into contracts. So they only targeted options that had been mutually agreed to be written into a deal.
He also thinks 100% Trubiskys option is exercised.
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:14 am A couple last good nuggets from him. They closed the loophole on the vet options but not rookies because
So the reasoning there is that rookie 5th year options aren’t negotiated into contracts. So they only targeted options that had been mutually agreed to be written into a deal.
Yeah, I'd put money on that right now. 100% confident Trubisky's 5th year is picked up.
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

BreadNCircuses wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:35 am
The Cooler King wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:14 am A couple last good nuggets from him. They closed the loophole on the vet options but not rookies because

Yeah, I'd put money on that right now. 100% confident Trubisky's 5th year is picked up.
IDK, you can always franchise or transition tag him.

I think the danger with him is injury. Similar to Kaepernick, look at this offseason. There is no way this offseason he will pass a physical prior to the league year starting with surgery on his shoulder so if this was the year between 4th and 5th his option would be fully guaranteed. Kaepernick did the same thing to stick it too the 49rs and make sure he had one more season fully guaranteed.

There is some risk, but with players you are unsure of, if I was GM, I would be seriously looking at not picking it up and if he clicks then you franchise looking to a long term deal. If he improves but you aren't fully sure you transition tag, and if he flops you are out nothing.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

With the CBA up for renegotiation can anyone be certain that the franchise and transition tags will remain, at least in their current form? They're not popular with the players. The lower risk move is to pick up the fifth year option.

Pace also has to consider the message it sends out if he doesn't pick up that option. It will demonstrate a lack of faith in Trubisky, which could sow seeds of doubt in the minds' of the players. If Trubisky does fail then they always have the option of benching him to avoid him getting injured. Even if they do wind up having to pay him for another year they'll surely also be drafting his replacement on a relatively low contract so it wouldn't be a total financial disaster that would hamstring the team for years.