Rivers to the Bears anyone?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

He’s outta San Diego and wants to still play. I’m torn, as much as I want competition for Trubisky I’m worried that Rivers has declined a lot. He sucked last season. Could he pull a late career magic trick? Possible. A talented vet QB in Nagys system could light it up.

I suppose I’d be excited if we got him
UOK
Site Admin

Price and years are right, sure.
wab
Mod

Eh... maybe. But he was pretty terrible this season.
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

The general consensus I've read is Tampa Bay. He relocated his entire family to Florida and he has a past history with Bruce Arians, The Bucs head coach.

Granted if the money is right he may be coaxed into coming here and out of all the QB needy teams Chicago would be the best location for him to win and make a deep playoff run, thanks to their defense.
docc
Head Coach

Old man Rivers..
That old man rivers
He just keeps rolling along..

Nope
G08
Hall of Famer

Hard pass.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:05 pm He’s outta San Diego and wants to still play. I’m torn, as much as I want competition for Trubisky I’m worried that Rivers has declined a lot. He sucked last season. Could he pull a late career magic trick? Possible. A talented vet QB in Nagys system could light it up.

I suppose I’d be excited if we got him
With this o-line I don't know.

If we're able to draft a starter and sign somebody, then sure but otherwise we need somebody mobile.

If we had a normal functioning team 100% yes.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

old guy trying to hang on... He did throw for over 4000 yards last year, but 20 int's.
eh, maybe if our starter goes down early in the season. Its just hard to build anything around him
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Drone7
Player of the Month

Rivers isn't a good fit in Nagy's scheme. He would subvert Pace's plan for Mitchell. He'll finish his career down South.

They'll tread water with Trubisky and bring in another unthreatening backup.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I've always loved Rivers. He could do the read progression thing that Nagy craves from Mitch. But throw the RPOs away. I'd be fine with that, but I'm not sure Nagy would.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

Rivers is a statue, and IIRC, Mitch had the least amount of time to throw per pass last season.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:10 am Rivers is a statue, and IIRC, Mitch had the least amount of time to throw per pass last season.
Sure, but you'd have to think that Pace would at least attempt to do something about that, wouldn't you?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

Mikefive wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:20 am
wab wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:10 am Rivers is a statue, and IIRC, Mitch had the least amount of time to throw per pass last season.
Sure, but you'd have to think that Pace would at least attempt to do something about that, wouldn't you?
Sure, but to the extent it will help Rivers? I doubt it.
wab
Mod

Sounds like there's real interest between the Colts and Rivers.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:18 pm Sounds like there's real interest between the Colts and Rivers.
Makes sense. They're not sold on Brissett and have more cap space than they can possibly spend.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I can't see the Bears doing anything but bringing in some reclamation project like Mariotta or something...bringing in Brady or Rivers would mean ending the Trubisky experiment completely and I don't think they are there yet. I'm not all that broke up about it, I'd like get get Mariotta..."one mans trash" and all that jazz.....
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:22 pm
wab wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:18 pm Sounds like there's real interest between the Colts and Rivers.
Makes sense. They're not sold on Brissett and have more cap space than they can possibly spend.
Which might make Brissett expendable. Completion % isn't great, good TD:INT ratio. Plus the Colts would get approximately $16M in cap savings if they traded him before June 1.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

dplank wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:25 pm I can't see the Bears doing anything but bringing in some reclamation project like Mariotta or something...bringing in Brady or Rivers would mean ending the Trubisky experiment completely and I don't think they are there yet. I'm not all that broke up about it, I'd like get get Mariotta..."one mans trash" and all that jazz.....
Mariotta would be the best fit for Nagy's offense and fits his style of QB ie mobile and operates of of Play Action. Plus he doesn't need to be built from the ground up; just needs some tweaking in his game. Most importantly his price tag wouldn't be as high as Brady, who is most likely staying in NE or Rivers, who won't want to come to Chicago.

The biggest issue which won't let it happen is MM and Trubisky have the same agent which provides a conflict of intrest on their part. That being said there aren't that many landing spots for qb needy teams that will pay Marcus the money he's seeking and will give him a realistic chance to compete for the starting gig. So MM donning the orange and navy blue is a small possibility but still one nonetheless.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

Rivers has been awesome, but is clearly heading downhill. Not worth it. Better to keep developing Bisky, and if he doesn't win, we draft again next year.
Richie
MVP

Well, Rivers was one of the 5 guys who had less.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/pass ... e-to-throw

Rivers also was near last in 2018 when he was very good.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/pass ... e-to-throw

I also have to think how quickly Mitch would often get the ball out of hands within the offense this past season has to do with this. As TT stops when the ball is released.

For instance, Brees also gets the ball out extremely quick in NO's west coast offense and is 2nd to last. Lower than Mitch. His line didn't suck. Ours did. But it has to skew the TT a bit for Mitch. His average depth of target was very short. 26th in the league at 7.9.

Rivers is big and doesn't run well. However, I've watched Rivers a lot, as a good buddy is a big fan. He's kind of like Ben where he sneakily avoids pressure and is hard to bring down.
Richie
MVP

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:44 pm Rivers has been awesome, but is clearly heading downhill. Not worth it. Better to keep developing Bisky, and if he doesn't win, we draft again next year.
Yeah, but I've thought Rivers was done like two other times and he came back with good seasons. I don't know. I find him intriguing. That team had a lot of issues. I could see him coming back with a good 2020.