Greg Olsen anyone?

The latest Bears news and talk

Moderators: wab, RING4CHI, Pagan

User avatar
dplank
MVP
Posts: 1291
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:19 am

Greg Olsen anyone?

Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:06 pm

Out of the Panthers and still wants to play. I’d be thrilled to bring him back to Chicago to end his career. We have a major need, he’d play a lot, great insurance for Burton injuries, and will certainly take a short term deal.
Chuck Pagano's defensive rankings in 6 years with Indy: 26th, 20th, 11th, 26th, 30th, and 30th.
cblaz11
Assistant Coach
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:02 pm

Re: Greg Olsen anyone?

Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:17 pm

I think this adds substance to a complete rebuild and a potential Cam trade.
User avatar
GSH
Assistant Coach
Posts: 700
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:50 am

Re: Greg Olsen anyone?

Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:20 pm

id literally eat my left testicle in disbelief if cam newton ever suits up for the bears
Image
User avatar
Xee
Site Admin
Location: Hoffman Estates, IL
Posts: 2589
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: Greg Olsen anyone?

Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:23 pm

He'll be 35 when the season starts and he has not exactly been putting up amazing numbers lately. No thanks.
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 15888
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Greg Olsen anyone?

Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:30 pm

If he's cheap and he's healthy? Why the hell not
Image

First 43 starts:

Drew Brees: 61.1% | 8760 yards | 57 TDs | 40 INTs | 6.65 YPA | 82.5

Mitch Trubisky: 63.2% | 8986 yards | 53 TDs | 31 INTs | 6.7 YPA | 86.1
User avatar
dplank
MVP
Posts: 1291
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:19 am

Re: Greg Olsen anyone?

Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:34 pm

With him and Burton, neither have to be “the guy” and maybe the lightened load keeps them both healthy. I always liked him, it’d be great if he played here again.

No thx on Cam, I think he’s a poor fit for Nagy.
Chuck Pagano's defensive rankings in 6 years with Indy: 26th, 20th, 11th, 26th, 30th, and 30th.
User avatar
Atkins&Rebel
MVP
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:56 pm

Re: Greg Olsen anyone?

Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:52 pm

Wanting to play, and able to play are 2 different things. If he could still go and be worth whatever contract he' be willing to sign, he'd still be a Panther.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 20933
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Greg Olsen anyone?

Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:45 pm

I’m in. Purely for sentimental reasons.
User avatar
HisRoyalSweetness
Crafty Veteran
Posts: 880
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:20 pm

Re: Greg Olsen anyone?

Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:51 pm

Last two seasons...

Trey Burton
2018: 16 games (16 starts), 54 receptions, 569 yards, 10.5 yard average, 6 TDs
2019: 8 games (5 starts), 14 receptions, 84 yards, 6.0 yard average 0 TDs

Greg Olsen
2018: 9 games (9 starts), 27 receptions, 291 yards, 10.8 yard average, 4 TDs
2019: 14 games (14 starts), 52 receptions, 597 yards, 11.5 yard average, 2 TDs

If the price is right and he'd be interested then why not? There aren't exactly many options out there.
Last edited by HisRoyalSweetness on Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
HisRoyalSweetness
Crafty Veteran
Posts: 880
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:20 pm

Re: Greg Olsen anyone?

Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:51 pm

Duplicate.
User avatar
southdakbearfan
Head Coach
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2658
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: Greg Olsen anyone?

Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:13 am

cblaz11 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:17 pm
I think this adds substance to a complete rebuild and a potential Cam trade.
I guess I would need an explanation why Greg Olsen potentially coming would have anything to do with Cam Newton.

Cam Newton isn't being traded for by anyone, he sucks while being injury prone and they would have to cut people along with having almost zero money to make any improvements to a line. Olsen signing here would mean about as much for cam as it would a Jay Cutler resigning.

I would be on board with an Olsen signing for a reasonable price. If you sign him, its for 1 season only most likely or a two year deal with the second year never likely to materialize. It's a hedge against Burton being healthy and frees up resources to be utilized on other positions.
User avatar
Richie
MVP
Posts: 1700
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:37 pm

Re: Greg Olsen anyone?

Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:45 am

southdakbearfan wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:13 am
cblaz11 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:17 pm
I think this adds substance to a complete rebuild and a potential Cam trade.
I guess I would need an explanation why Greg Olsen potentially coming would have anything to do with Cam Newton.

Cam Newton isn't being traded for by anyone, he sucks while being injury prone and they would have to cut people along with having almost zero money to make any improvements to a line. Olsen signing here would mean about as much for cam as it would a Jay Cutler resigning.

I would be on board with an Olsen signing for a reasonable price. If you sign him, its for 1 season only most likely or a two year deal with the second year never likely to materialize. It's a hedge against Burton being healthy and frees up resources to be utilized on other positions.
I am not a Cam Newton fan and I do think his best days are behind him. However, I also believe that somebody would be willing to trade for him. Especially in a scenario where Carolina eats some of the salary.

Per Olsen - Is he even better than a guy like Braunecker at this point? I honestly don't know about that. He's looked pretty damn done for a couple of years.
Year 3 Starting (updated yearly)

Brees (11-4): 65.5% (7th) 7.9 Y/A (7th) 27 TD (7th) 6.8 TD% (4th) 7 INT 1.8 INT% (3rd) 104 Rating (3rd)

Trubisky (8-7): 63.2% (18th) 6.1 Y/A (32nd) 17 TD (27th) 3.3 TD% (30th) 10 INT 1.9 INT% (15th) 83 Rating (28th)
cblaz11
Assistant Coach
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:02 pm

Re: Greg Olsen anyone?

Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:28 am

I didn’t say that it increased the odds of a Cam Newton trade to the Bears, I meant more of a Cam trade in general. I think if the Panthers were committed to truly making a run this year with Cam, they would have kept a vet like Olsen around for the year.
Grizzled
Player of the Month
Posts: 295
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:55 pm

Re: Greg Olsen anyone?

Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:45 am

It would be worth a throw of the dice for the right price. It might keep them from spending big on a FA although the position is a priority for their offense. They could use a draft pick to select their future TE and just maybe develop him and use him right.
User avatar
AZ_Bearfan
Assistant Coach
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 723
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:49 pm

Re: Greg Olsen anyone?

Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:12 pm

Bring him in. His experience and ability to add another coach-type player to a very inexperienced TE room is worth the roll of the dice alone. If he can stay healthy for 12 to 14 games, it would be a bonus.
Image
User avatar
Xee
Site Admin
Location: Hoffman Estates, IL
Posts: 2589
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: Greg Olsen anyone?

Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:01 pm

wab wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:45 pm
I’m in. Purely for sentimental reasons.
Well, I didn't know that was an option. I change my previous comment based on this alone as it would be great to see him in orange and blue again. Hell, bringing Marty Booker back years ago was worth it just for that one-handed catch he had against the Lions.
Drone7
Player of the Month
Posts: 383
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:44 pm

Re: Greg Olsen anyone?

Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:15 pm

Would prefer a younger, blocking TE like Vannett, but I wouldn't be against Olsen IF he could pass a physical. Obviously, he was an excellent pass receiver in his prime years. Ran approx. 4.5 at the distant 2007 Combine. Wonder what he could run now?

He might help Shaheen (and other guys in the TE room) learn how to run crisper routes and pass on a better understanding where to settle against zone coverage. He was never a powerful blocker, but he learned a lot about technique, which would also help others.

Not sure how much he has left, but the incumbents aren't much competition. Trubisky would probably like having someone he can trust to move the sticks.

To Redskins rumors.
User avatar
southdakbearfan
Head Coach
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2658
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: Greg Olsen anyone?

Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:58 am

I can fully see a Olsen reunion making sense here but I think someone will throw some money at him. He was still very productive last season. His fit might be best here, not fully being relied upon but given enough chance to be very productive.

As far as Cam goes, I don't see anyone with a contender desperate enough to trade for him. I think he gets outright released and that we may have seen the last of him in the NFL because he isn't coming anywhere to be a backup.
User avatar
Richie
MVP
Posts: 1700
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:37 pm

Re: Greg Olsen anyone?

Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:59 am

southdakbearfan wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:58 am
I can fully see a Olsen reunion making sense here but I think someone will throw some money at him. He was still very productive last season. His fit might be best here, not fully being relied upon but given enough chance to be very productive.

As far as Cam goes, I don't see anyone with a contender desperate enough to trade for him. I think he gets outright released and that we may have seen the last of him in the NFL because he isn't coming anywhere to be a backup.
I think your hate of Cam Newton blinds you from being able to evaluate his career/ability fully. Cam Newton is still a guy that would intrigue roughly anyone in the NFL who felt they were a QB away from contending and were in the market looking for one actively. This is a guy who has been "decent to good" for the majority of his career and won an MVP in 2015. Had a couple other very nice seasons to boot. And with a healthy foot... could start to be a force running again. Which does make him a SOB to defend.

I would bet a fortune that Cam has a job.

Back on topic, I've thought more about the Olsen thing. I definitely think he would be a boost to the TE room if he was willing to take on a mentor/secondary type of role. His last three years have been pretty hard on the eyes in the stat lines. I'm not sure you where you see him having been "very productive" there.
Year 3 Starting (updated yearly)

Brees (11-4): 65.5% (7th) 7.9 Y/A (7th) 27 TD (7th) 6.8 TD% (4th) 7 INT 1.8 INT% (3rd) 104 Rating (3rd)

Trubisky (8-7): 63.2% (18th) 6.1 Y/A (32nd) 17 TD (27th) 3.3 TD% (30th) 10 INT 1.9 INT% (15th) 83 Rating (28th)
cblaz11
Assistant Coach
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:02 pm

Re: Greg Olsen anyone?

Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:48 am

Agreed, Cam Newton is still a starting level QB and cold still be around for quite some time if he starts protecting himself a little better. He’s only 31!
Grizzled
Player of the Month
Posts: 295
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:55 pm

Re: Greg Olsen anyone?

Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:42 am

Olson's interested in joining Ron Rivera in Washington. Not sure if he has any interest in rejoining the Bears.
User avatar
IE
Hall of Famer
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 6608
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:46 am

Re: Greg Olsen anyone?

Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:49 am

I'm intrigued about his potential ability to be a role model and mentor for a few young TEs that I happen to like. I think he'd be more valuable in that sense than really delivering much of a stat line. But he could be a good threat at key times in the red zone - which is a clear need. It might be kind of perfect, in that he'd only be in a rotation and not eating up all the snaps.

But It's kinda like asking if I'd like to have that car... sure... well... for how much? I'm wondering if his desire to still play is based on emotion, or wanting to cash one last big paycheck.

If it is emotion, it is possible that he'd want to return to the Bears for many reasons: To show up the people who traded him, because he loves the city and fans, or because he thinks they could compete with his help. If he was willing to be affordable he could play maybe a couple more years as a rotation guy and add a lot of value.

But if it is dollars and he wants $7-8MM, then no because I think that might indicate he'd be too big a drain on resources.

UOK edit: Seriously. Stop.
Run the Damn Ball
User avatar
dplank
MVP
Posts: 1291
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:19 am

Re: Greg Olsen anyone?

Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:51 pm

Olsen is 35 years old and was just cut loose due to a large cap hit. I expect his cost to be in the 2-3M range yearly if we gave him 2 years. Or maybe as high as 4M if it was a one year deal. At those numbers, I like adding him into the mix. At 8M, no chance. But I can't see anyone paying him 8M at this stage of his career, it's just not logical, so I don't really spend any time thinking about it.

UOK edit: Stop.
Chuck Pagano's defensive rankings in 6 years with Indy: 26th, 20th, 11th, 26th, 30th, and 30th.
User avatar
HisRoyalSweetness
Crafty Veteran
Posts: 880
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:20 pm

Re: Greg Olsen anyone?

Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:17 pm

IE wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:49 am
Troll alert: So in a battle of emotions, how about letting Hicks go and keep Williams to replace him plus a draft pick. And then give that money to Olsen. Or is that too much and exploding heads? LOL
dplank wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:51 pm
Enough with Hicks already. I'm trying my best not to throw elbows around here but you aren't making it very easy...
Aw, lighten up dplank. IE's just engaging in a bit of humorous banter! :D
User avatar
southdakbearfan
Head Coach
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2658
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: Greg Olsen anyone?

Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:13 pm

Richie wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:59 am
southdakbearfan wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:58 am
I can fully see a Olsen reunion making sense here but I think someone will throw some money at him. He was still very productive last season. His fit might be best here, not fully being relied upon but given enough chance to be very productive.

As far as Cam goes, I don't see anyone with a contender desperate enough to trade for him. I think he gets outright released and that we may have seen the last of him in the NFL because he isn't coming anywhere to be a backup.
I think your hate of Cam Newton blinds you from being able to evaluate his career/ability fully. Cam Newton is still a guy that would intrigue roughly anyone in the NFL who felt they were a QB away from contending and were in the market looking for one actively. This is a guy who has been "decent to good" for the majority of his career and won an MVP in 2015. Had a couple other very nice seasons to boot. And with a healthy foot... could start to be a force running again. Which does make him a SOB to defend.

I would bet a fortune that Cam has a job.

Back on topic, I've thought more about the Olsen thing. I definitely think he would be a boost to the TE room if he was willing to take on a mentor/secondary type of role. His last three years have been pretty hard on the eyes in the stat lines. I'm not sure you where you see him having been "very productive" there.
Olsen had almost 600 yds in 14 games last year, we could only dream about production like that this past season from the TE spot. He proved he could stay healthy after two injury shortened previous seasons and his averages for the season on YPC, YAC, catch rate were right in line with his career averages so he can still be productive.

Cam is expensive, doesn't complete above 60 percent, and has been very injury riddled the last two seasons as the cumulative hits have taken their toll between his shoulders and feet breaking down. He was a beast at one point in time because of the extreme dual threat, but as his running has decreased his passing hasn't gotten any better.

I actually think he may at least start the season in Carolina, try to prove he is healthy again and then be moved during the season. Too many other QB options are floating out there that don't cost draft picks to trade for right now for anyone to trade for him IMO.
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 20933
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Greg Olsen anyone?

Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:49 am

Jesper Horsted is better anyway. Or so I’ve read.
User avatar
southdakbearfan
Head Coach
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2658
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: Greg Olsen anyone?

Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:36 am

wab wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:49 am
Jesper Horsted is better anyway. Or so I’ve read.
Are you angling for a Horsted Jersey?
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 15888
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Greg Olsen anyone?

Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:30 am

southdakbearfan wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:36 am
wab wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:49 am
Jesper Horsted is better anyway. Or so I’ve read.
Are you angling for a Horsted Jersey?
:lol:
Image

First 43 starts:

Drew Brees: 61.1% | 8760 yards | 57 TDs | 40 INTs | 6.65 YPA | 82.5

Mitch Trubisky: 63.2% | 8986 yards | 53 TDs | 31 INTs | 6.7 YPA | 86.1
User avatar
thunderspirit
MVP
Location: Greater Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 1030
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:51 pm

Re: Greg Olsen anyone?

Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:15 pm

southdakbearfan wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:36 am
wab wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:49 am
Jesper Horsted is better anyway. Or so I’ve read.
Are you angling for a Horsted Jersey?
Quality. :thumbsup:
KFFL refugee.
MotML: Great Sept Embers

This space for rent.
User avatar
alexwilkins
Assistant Coach
Location: North Pole, AK
Posts: 518
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:00 am

Re: Greg Olsen anyone?

Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:53 am

He’d be a great player coach for guys like Holtz and Horsted. I’m in.

Return to “Halas Hall”