Jameis Winston next QB to be linked to Bears for some reason

The latest Bears news and talk

Moderators: wab, RING4CHI, Pagan

User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 20313
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Jameis Winston next QB to be linked to Bears for some reason

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:08 pm

I guess this Barnwell dude is just working his way down the list.
How could Jameis Winston end up signing with Bears?

Alyssa Barbieri
7 hours ago

The Bears are one of several teams that will be in the market for a veteran quarterback this offseason. It’s safe to say at this point that every viable option in free agency or via trade has been linked to the Bears by some varying degree.

ESPN’s Bill Barnwell has been laying out different scenarios about where some big-name free agents could wind up — and how it will impact other teams this offseason.

Although Barnwell’s latest projection involving the Bears quarterback position isn’t as crazy as Tom Brady landing in Chicago.

Barnwell projects a scenario where Jameis Winston signs a one-year, $9 million contract with the Bears, which would be just enough time to see if Trubisky can turn things around or if Winston needs to step in should Trubisky continue to struggle.

"While the Bears are publicly committed to Mitchell Trubisky, they need to bring in a quarterback who can compete for the starting job. Winston’s market is totally uncertain; there might not be any team that thinks he’s worth starter money, and if not, he might need to settle for a one-year deal and a competition. Trubisky’s backup Chase Daniel can return to Kansas City to sit behind Patrick Mahomes."

Now, Barnwell’s scenario is predicated on if the Buccaneers lock up Philip Rivers to a three-year $90 million deal.

Winston has been known for his inconsistent play, but he’s had his moments. Look no further than his 30 touchdown/30 interception performance in 2019.

But Winston’s upside is definitely appealing. The Bears could sign him to a low-risk contract, where he could battle Trubisky for the starting job, and be better off than they were in 2019.
Drone7
Journeyman
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:44 pm

Re: Jameis Winston next QB to be linked to Bears for some reason

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:18 pm

A good playmaker, talented passer, but a terrifying turnover machine (even worse than Cutler) that could get arrested for sexual assault at any time these days. Smooth sociopathic mentality.

Doubt Pace and the McCaskeys would allow that kind of risky move. They will seek someone safer.

He just had Lasik to correct his downfield vision, but I've seen him throw plenty of picks underneath, where u scratch your head and wonder what was he seeing? Did he understand the coverage? Interested to see how he does next time he gets on the field, wherever.
User avatar
dplank
Pro Bowler
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:19 am

Re: Jameis Winston next QB to be linked to Bears for some reason

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:46 pm

Yogi suicide watch....
Chuck Pagano's defensive rankings in 5 years with Indy: 26th, 20th, 11th, 26th, 30th, and 30th.
Grizzled
Journeyman
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:55 pm

Re: Jameis Winston next QB to be linked to Bears for some reason

Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:39 am

One article I read tried to say that Winston fit Nagy's offense more than Trubisky. WTF?
User avatar
HisRoyalSweetness
Crafty Veteran
Posts: 750
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:20 pm

Re: Jameis Winston next QB to be linked to Bears for some reason

Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:49 am

Am I the only one who has no interest in any re-tread at the QB position? We've been down that route with Cutler and he had far better credentials and potential at the time the Bears acquired him than any of the names being bandied around with the exception of Brady and Rivers in the twilight of their careers.

I'm hanging my hat on Trubisky developing into the player Pace thought he was when he drafted him for one more year. Grab a mid-round prospect in this year's draft on the off-chance you land a Wilson or a Prescott, but if Trubisky doesn't come good then take another swing in the first round next year.
BR0D1E86
MVP
Posts: 1713
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:50 am

Re: Jameis Winston next QB to be linked to Bears for some reason

Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:16 am

Grizzled wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:39 am
One article I read tried to say that Winston fit Nagy's offense more than Trubisky. WTF?
In a way. He's a much bigger down field threat because Trubisky frequently can't put the ball in the area code. Nagy's offense wants to go deep a lot. The big play is pretty likely to be an interception though, and Trubisky is pretty good at taking care of the ball.
Last edited by BR0D1E86 on Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 20313
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Jameis Winston next QB to be linked to Bears for some reason

Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:19 am

HisRoyalSweetness wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:49 am
Am I the only one who has no interest in any re-tread at the QB position? We've been down that route with Cutler and he had far better credentials and potential at the time the Bears acquired him than any of the names being bandied around with the exception of Brady and Rivers in the twilight of their careers.

I'm hanging my hat on Trubisky developing into the player Pace thought he was when he drafted him for one more year. Grab a mid-round prospect in this year's draft on the off-chance you land a Wilson or a Prescott, but if Trubisky doesn't come good then take another swing in the first round next year.
Image
User avatar
dplank
Pro Bowler
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:19 am

Re: Jameis Winston next QB to be linked to Bears for some reason

Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:05 am

HisRoyalSweetness wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:49 am
Am I the only one who has no interest in any re-tread at the QB position? We've been down that route with Cutler and he had far better credentials and potential at the time the Bears acquired him than any of the names being bandied around with the exception of Brady and Rivers in the twilight of their careers.

I'm hanging my hat on Trubisky developing into the player Pace thought he was when he drafted him for one more year. Grab a mid-round prospect in this year's draft on the off-chance you land a Wilson or a Prescott, but if Trubisky doesn't come good then take another swing in the first round next year.
Dismissing a re-tread QB because of the Cutler experience is some really bad logic. Each QB and each situation is different, and none have anything at all to do with smokin' Jay. A couple of re-tread QB's made playoff runs this year (Taneyhill, Garapollo).

IMO this decision is all about whether or not you think we can compete for a Super Bowl in 2020 "if we just had good QB play" or not. i.e., are we in "win now" mode or aren't we? If you believe we are in win now mode, then rolling with Cutler and a mid round QB flyer is an awful idea. If you don't, then it makes complete sense to do that. I fall on the "win now" side, so I'd like to see competent competition brought in for Mitch. The reason for that is simple, he sucked last year. He ranked as one of the worst QB's in the NFL. So the odds are pretty decent that he'll suck next year too, even if you are generous to Mitch it's at best a 50/50 chance that he sucks/doesn't suck. So if you think we can "win now", you can't roll with a 50/50 shot at best of having competent QB play.

If we aren't in win now mode, then by all means exhaust every possibility that the #2 draft pick can avoid being a full on bust and hope he turns it around. Then move on after 2020 if he fails again.
Chuck Pagano's defensive rankings in 5 years with Indy: 26th, 20th, 11th, 26th, 30th, and 30th.
User avatar
crueltyabc
Head Coach
Location: New Orleans LA
Posts: 3403
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 7:36 pm

Re: Jameis Winston next QB to be linked to Bears for some reason

Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:14 pm

I think he wins more games for the Bears than Mitch, and loses more games than Mitch. If he wanted to come play for $6m or something then sure wtf but he's going to get low-level QB1 money and we don't have it to use for an experiment. The Bears need to be setting the table for 2021

No expensive re-treads please
TheWorldBreaker
Journeyman
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:57 pm

Re: Jameis Winston next QB to be linked to Bears for some reason

Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:03 pm

HisRoyalSweetness wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:49 am
Am I the only one who has no interest in any re-tread at the QB position? We've been down that route with Cutler and he had far better credentials and potential at the time the Bears acquired him than any of the names being bandied around with the exception of Brady and Rivers in the twilight of their careers.

I'm hanging my hat on Trubisky developing into the player Pace thought he was when he drafted him for one more year. Grab a mid-round prospect in this year's draft on the off-chance you land a Wilson or a Prescott, but if Trubisky doesn't come good then take another swing in the first round next year.
Drew Brees was a retread at QB that worked out pretty well for the Saints. And even though it didn’t work out, Cutler is the best QB I’ve seen the Bears have in my lifetime.

Trubisky will be here next year because of his salary cap hit and because no one will trade for him.

But you cannot pin your hopes on his development, that cost the Bears a playoff spot last year.

They need a veteran QB that can push Trubisky (not a high bar, if we’re being honest) and a QB from the draft in hopes of hitting the lottery.
User avatar
Atkins&Rebel
MVP
Posts: 1154
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:56 pm

Re: Jameis Winston next QB to be linked to Bears for some reason

Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:17 pm

The coach that rejuvenated and stuck with Kurt Warner after several bad years, and made Carson Palmer look better than average at the tail end of his career, wants nothing to do with Winston.
I'm not a fan.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
User avatar
HisRoyalSweetness
Crafty Veteran
Posts: 750
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:20 pm

Re: Jameis Winston next QB to be linked to Bears for some reason

Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:34 pm

TheWorldBreaker wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:03 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:49 am
Am I the only one who has no interest in any re-tread at the QB position? We've been down that route with Cutler and he had far better credentials and potential at the time the Bears acquired him than any of the names being bandied around with the exception of Brady and Rivers in the twilight of their careers.

I'm hanging my hat on Trubisky developing into the player Pace thought he was when he drafted him for one more year. Grab a mid-round prospect in this year's draft on the off-chance you land a Wilson or a Prescott, but if Trubisky doesn't come good then take another swing in the first round next year.
Drew Brees was a retread at QB that worked out pretty well for the Saints. And even though it didn’t work out, Cutler is the best QB I’ve seen the Bears have in my lifetime.

Trubisky will be here next year because of his salary cap hit and because no one will trade for him.

But you cannot pin your hopes on his development, that cost the Bears a playoff spot last year.

They need a veteran QB that can push Trubisky (not a high bar, if we’re being honest) and a QB from the draft in hopes of hitting the lottery.
Aside from Brees, I believe only three other QBs have won a Super Bowl with a team other than their first in the last 30 years.:

- Trent Dilfer in his sole year with the Ravens.
- Brad Johnson with the Buccaneers
- Peyton Manning with the Broncos, when he stunk up the place with a 67.9 passer rating.

All they show is that if the team is good enough then you can still win it all with poor QB play. That being the case why bother with another team's cast off? You may as well stick with your own lacklustre QB for one more year. That's not pinning your hopes on his development, just acknowledging that if the light doesn't come on then you're not really losing anything.

And pinning their hopes on Trubisky's development didn't cost the Bears a playoff place last year. The whole team regressed, especially the offense. No team in the league would have brought in competition for a third year QB who had just led his team to a division title and made it to the Pro Bowl as an alternate.

I just don't see a QB out there this year who is going to be the 'solution' to the Bears quarterbacking woes. In five years Winston has never had a passer rating as high as Trubisky did in his second season. I just don't see him as an upgrade. If Trubisky flames out then I'd rather the team just keep taking shots in the draft.
Drone7
Journeyman
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:44 pm

Re: Jameis Winston next QB to be linked to Bears for some reason

Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:14 pm

HisRoyalSweetness wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:49 am
I'm hanging my hat on Trubisky developing into the player Pace thought he was when he drafted him for one more year.
I doubt Pace even still believes that. Much less many around the league. Mahomes and Watson are respected as franchise QBs. Trubisky, many wonder if he will make it as a starter.

Even though others' play on O dropped off, also doubt your later statement that they wouldn't have been in contention with a competent veteran QB. There were several games Trubisky dragged down the offense...and negatively affected the defense.
User avatar
thunderspirit
Crafty Veteran
Location: Greater Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:51 pm

Re: Jameis Winston next QB to be linked to Bears for some reason

Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:57 pm

Apparently the odds that a retread QB becomes the next Ryan Tannehill is a better bet than an inexperienced QB showing some growth.

Okay then.
KFFL refugee.

This space for rent.
User avatar
BreadNCircuses
Practice Squad
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:34 pm

Re: Jameis Winston next QB to be linked to Bears for some reason

Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:51 am

HisRoyalSweetness wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:34 pm
TheWorldBreaker wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:03 pm


Drew Brees was a retread at QB that worked out pretty well for the Saints. And even though it didn’t work out, Cutler is the best QB I’ve seen the Bears have in my lifetime.

Trubisky will be here next year because of his salary cap hit and because no one will trade for him.

But you cannot pin your hopes on his development, that cost the Bears a playoff spot last year.

They need a veteran QB that can push Trubisky (not a high bar, if we’re being honest) and a QB from the draft in hopes of hitting the lottery.
Aside from Brees, I believe only three other QBs have won a Super Bowl with a team other than their first in the last 30 years.:

- Trent Dilfer in his sole year with the Ravens.
- Brad Johnson with the Buccaneers
- Peyton Manning with the Broncos, when he stunk up the place with a 67.9 passer rating.

All they show is that if the team is good enough then you can still win it all with poor QB play. That being the case why bother with another team's cast off? You may as well stick with your own lacklustre QB for one more year. That's not pinning your hopes on his development, just acknowledging that if the light doesn't come on then you're not really losing anything.

And pinning their hopes on Trubisky's development didn't cost the Bears a playoff place last year. The whole team regressed, especially the offense. No team in the league would have brought in competition for a third year QB who had just led his team to a division title and made it to the Pro Bowl as an alternate.

I just don't see a QB out there this year who is going to be the 'solution' to the Bears quarterbacking woes. In five years Winston has never had a passer rating as high as Trubisky did in his second season. I just don't see him as an upgrade. If Trubisky flames out then I'd rather the team just keep taking shots in the draft.
This is my take on it as well. It's consistently been my argument that Trubisky was going to need a somewhat longer development window, so I'm completely onboard with him being the starter in 2020. If he plays terribly, let him go after the year, if he continues to show signs of year-on-year growth, let him play through his 5th year option and then make a decision contractually then. We know Pace's blueprint for a QB was Drew Brees -- statistically speaking, Trubisky compares well to Brees through a similar number of starts. Trubisky is far and away better in comparison to, for example, Eli Manning through his first 3 years. I believe it's premature to make a decision now to move on.

My best case scenario remains Alex Smith is released, willing to take top-tier backup pay for next year, and comes to work with Nagy on a 1 year deal (it wouldn't make sense for him to take a multi-year backup tier deal unless he's convinced he's probably not going to get another shot at a starting job anywhere). I think it's notable that both Mahomes and Kaepernick thanked Alex Smith for what he did as a mentor to speed their development. We know he fits Nagy. If he can help Trubisky take the next step forward (along with the gaggle of QB-specializing coaches we now have), great. If Trubisky falls off a cliff in 2020, Smith would be a clear option to step in and potentially still help us salvage a playoff run, and likely be a bridge QB while we go back to the draft well again.
Grizzled
Journeyman
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:55 pm

Re: Jameis Winston next QB to be linked to Bears for some reason

Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:47 am

dplank wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:05 am
HisRoyalSweetness wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:49 am
Am I the only one who has no interest in any re-tread at the QB position? We've been down that route with Cutler and he had far better credentials and potential at the time the Bears acquired him than any of the names being bandied around with the exception of Brady and Rivers in the twilight of their careers.

I'm hanging my hat on Trubisky developing into the player Pace thought he was when he drafted him for one more year. Grab a mid-round prospect in this year's draft on the off-chance you land a Wilson or a Prescott, but if Trubisky doesn't come good then take another swing in the first round next year.
Dismissing a re-tread QB because of the Cutler experience is some really bad logic. Each QB and each situation is different, and none have anything at all to do with smokin' Jay. A couple of re-tread QB's made playoff runs this year (Taneyhill, Garapollo).

IMO this decision is all about whether or not you think we can compete for a Super Bowl in 2020 "if we just had good QB play" or not. i.e., are we in "win now" mode or aren't we? If you believe we are in win now mode, then rolling with Cutler and a mid round QB flyer is an awful idea. If you don't, then it makes complete sense to do that. I fall on the "win now" side, so I'd like to see competent competition brought in for Mitch. The reason for that is simple, he sucked last year. He ranked as one of the worst QB's in the NFL. So the odds are pretty decent that he'll suck next year too, even if you are generous to Mitch it's at best a 50/50 chance that he sucks/doesn't suck. So if you think we can "win now", you can't roll with a 50/50 shot at best of having competent QB play.

If we aren't in win now mode, then by all means exhaust every possibility that the #2 draft pick can avoid being a full on bust and hope he turns it around. Then move on after 2020 if he fails again.
I'm agreeing with Dplank here. By all means see how Trubisky does in training camp and preseason games (yes, play him a bit this year) but bring in a higher end veteran who can step in if he doesn't make that next step. And don't wait until half the season's gone before deciding. Otherwise there's no reason to keep on paying for top level defensive talent because the offense won't be able to outscore a pee wee football team again and the Bears will be stuck in the dreaded 6-10/7-9/8-8 territory and have no shot at drafting a franchise QB.

Return to “Halas Hall”