Potential Target: LB Alec Ogletree

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

Good for the Bears in the sense that we need to sign a starter at ILB, and while I don't really want Ogletree his addition to the FA market helps drive it to a more favorable buyers market for teams in need (more options = better prices).
G08
Hall of Famer

I loved him in college
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

One might argue he's the top ILB on the market.
I would prefer we bring Trevathan back if he's willing to take a reasonable deal, along the Pierre-Louis
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

BreadNCircuses wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:41 pm One might argue he's the top ILB on the market.
I would prefer we bring Trevathan back if he's willing to take a reasonable deal, along the Pierre-Louis
I think it will be Kwit, Roquan, Pierre-Louis and someone else like a draft pick or udfa minor signing type.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Roquan took flight after Danny got hurt, and Kwit played excellent football much to my surprise. Roquan/Kwit/KPL works for me.
IE
Hall of Famer

I'm a HUGE fan of 44. He's a spark.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
docc
Head Coach

G08 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:46 pm I loved him in college
No pictures please...
MoFugger
Head Coach

IE wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:16 pm I'm a HUGE fan of 44. He's a spark.
I have been a fan of the kid since his name was called on draft day.
When he came in, everyone knew he was going to need some coaching.
As far as I'm concerned, this last season, he proved that he got it
The Bears really need to lock this kid up.
IE
Hall of Famer

MoFugger wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:07 am
IE wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:16 pm I'm a HUGE fan of 44. He's a spark.
I have been a fan of the kid since his name was called on draft day.
When he came in, everyone knew he was going to need some coaching.
As far as I'm concerned, this last season, he proved that he got it
The Bears really need to lock this kid up.
Agreed. The thing I like most is how he squashed the assumptions about him being a liability in coverage or his ability to play sideline to sideline, amongst other things. He's a complete linebacker. And he gets to the QB with a relentlessness that exceeds all other Bear linebackers not named Mack. They'd be nuts to let him go.
Drone7
Player of the Month

IE wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:18 am
Agreed. The thing I like most is how he squashed the assumptions about him being a liability in coverage or his ability to play sideline to sideline, amongst other things. He's a complete linebacker.
um, no

Kwit isn't a sideline to sideline player and he still struggles in man coverage. He can play zone and attack a cone area from his position for run fills or blitzes.

Question is: what does Pagano believe he needs as a play caller(s) on the second level? Kwit has done that. Is Smith capable of stepping up there? If not, then signing Danny T or Kwit makes sense because they know the defense. Hoping they sign Pierre Louis as depth regardless. He does have sideline to sideline speed.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Drone7 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:24 am
IE wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:18 am
Agreed. The thing I like most is how he squashed the assumptions about him being a liability in coverage or his ability to play sideline to sideline, amongst other things. He's a complete linebacker.
um, no

Kwit isn't a sideline to sideline player and he still struggles in man coverage. He can play zone and attack a cone area from his position for run fills or blitzes.

Question is: what does Pagano believe he needs as a play caller(s) on the second level? Kwit has done that. Is Smith capable of stepping up there? If not, then signing Danny T or Kwit makes sense because they know the defense. Hoping they sign Pierre Louis as depth regardless. He does have sideline to sideline speed.
Kwit was way more successful in coverage the past two seasons than the supposed Coverage Savant LB Floyd.

Floyd gives up a completion over 80 percent of the time he is passed against and somehow comes up with a reputation for being a great coverage linebacker.
Kwit gave up a completion 59 percent of the time last season and he is a liability?

Kwit was a liability in coverage his first season or so, he no longer is. Plus the dude just flat out balls. He tackles, he takes down the QB when he gets there, he stops the run well and he has a nonstop motor.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Watch Kwit cover when he has to cover/chase someone in space: ugly. And he was beaten a few times last season on crossing routes. His 2018 coverage was embarrassing because he was asked to do that too often by Fangio--everyone remembers how the Pack picked on him in 2018 game 1. He's ok when he can sit in zone and not have to move much side to side, and that's what Pagano did with him sometimes. Expecting him to roam sideline to sideline isn't something he is capable of--that's Smith's and Pierre Louis' game. Good blitzer and tackler. Agree that he plays with toughness and enthusiasm. I'm not averse to resigning him if the contract isn't exorbitant. Not sure what the cutoff would be given their other goals.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Drone7 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:03 pm Watch Kwit cover when he has to cover/chase someone in space: ugly. And he was beaten a few times last season on crossing routes. His 2018 coverage was embarrassing because he was asked to do that too often by Fangio--everyone remembers how the Pack picked on him in 2018 game 1. He's ok when he can sit in zone and not have to move much side to side, and that's what Pagano did with him sometimes. Expecting him to roam sideline to sideline isn't something he is capable of--that's Smith's and Pierre Louis' game. Good blitzer and tackler. Agree that he plays with toughness and enthusiasm. I'm not averse to resigning him if the contract isn't exorbitant. Not sure what the cutoff would be given their other goals.
Well, he grades higher than floyd via pff. He allows a low percentage of completions for a linebacker and they are all short passes. He got as many sacks as Floyd starting 7 less games and is asked to rush the QB about 1/10th as much as Floyd. Extrapolated his season stats would be 150 tackes, 6 sacks, 2 ints, 8 PD.

Cut Floyd, give Kwit 5-8 per year and go looking for Floyds replacement would be my opinion.

I know it's two different positions, but if I am spending money I am spending on guys that produce.
BR0D1E86
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:17 pm
Drone7 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:03 pm Watch Kwit cover when he has to cover/chase someone in space: ugly. And he was beaten a few times last season on crossing routes. His 2018 coverage was embarrassing because he was asked to do that too often by Fangio--everyone remembers how the Pack picked on him in 2018 game 1. He's ok when he can sit in zone and not have to move much side to side, and that's what Pagano did with him sometimes. Expecting him to roam sideline to sideline isn't something he is capable of--that's Smith's and Pierre Louis' game. Good blitzer and tackler. Agree that he plays with toughness and enthusiasm. I'm not averse to resigning him if the contract isn't exorbitant. Not sure what the cutoff would be given their other goals.
Well, he grades higher than floyd via pff. He allows a low percentage of completions for a linebacker and they are all short passes. He got as many sacks as Floyd starting 7 less games and is asked to rush the QB about 1/10th as much as Floyd. Extrapolated his season stats would be 150 tackes, 6 sacks, 2 ints, 8 PD.

Cut Floyd, give Kwit 5-8 per year and go looking for Floyds replacement would be my opinion.

I know it's two different positions, but if I am spending money I am spending on guys that produce.
I would 100% be in board with keeping 44 and saving money on Floyd. Floyd is worth low end starter or high end backup money. He'll never sign for it with that option existing. He's easily replaceable.
dplank
Hall of Famer

One thing to consider is that Floyd, for an OLB, is a good coverage guy. And Kwit isn't a very good coverage guy, he's a good run stuffer/hard hitter/blitzer. And Danny T isn't on the roster either at this point. So how much impact would losing both Floyd and Danny, and replacing with Kwit + Someone else at OLB, have on our pass coverage? It's a problem. I think the best result for us would be to sign Floyd to a more reasonably priced deal, in the 8M/yr range, and keep Kwit. Pagano likes to play a lot of 1 ILB dime, he had Danny T at that last year and sat Roquan (foolishly IMO), but this year he'd have Roquan in that role and Kwit would come out on these passing downs - might be ideal and allow players to play to their strengths more.
EricTighe
MVP

44 is leaving and who can blame him? He played his ass for us and we never gave him an extension, I would leave. Wouldn't you?

Let's just hope it all works out for us.

Maybe we move Floyd inside. With his skill set, I think he could excel there in a 3-4.
BR0D1E86
MVP

EricTighe wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:45 pm 44 is leaving and who can blame him? He played his ass for us and we never gave him an extension, I would leave. Wouldn't you?

Let's just hope it all works out for us.

Maybe we move Floyd inside. With his skill set, I think he could excel there in a 3-4.
He'll leave if someone offers him more money. I very seriously doubt he feels disrespected that he didn't get an extension.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I think somebody is going to pay Kwit, and good for him. He deserves it.
wab
Mod

I'm a huge fan of Kwit and I want him to remain a Bear, but if someone is going to pay him as the cornerstone of their defense...well then I'll happily take the comp pick.
dplank
Hall of Famer

MLB is a commodity draft pick these days, like RB. Good ones can be had all throughout the draft. I like Kwit, but don't overpay please.
IE
Hall of Famer

Well I certainly hope the league thinks Kwit is as much of a liability as some do here. I personally don't, and aside from a few examples (and examples don't mean anything, really) he sure passed the test for me in a more-than-adequate sample. He was just plain good.