Yogi’s Post Combine Picnic Basket—Free Agency (2020)

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I'm not sure where to post this. I'm posting it on this board since it doesn't deal with the draft. My draft Picnic Basket I'll post on the other board.

I’m going to take a different approach to this Picnic Basket than I normally do.

First, although I have on occasion included Free Agency in my Baskets, it’s not something I typically do. But it’s something I will endeavor for this Basket, because, well, because I’m just so on top of it this year. 😉

Second, I’ve sometimes mentioned alternatives in the past, but I’m going to be much more speculative with that than in the past because we have some gaping holes which have to be filled. Finally, in the draft, I’m not as much locked into trying to get a prospect slotted into a particular pick, particularly later in the draft. That’s because I’m convinced the Bears will trade down from at least one of their two second picks (if not both). Who we trade with and what those deals are are just too hard to project. Consequentially, my later round picks might actually be projected higher but I’m not worried about it as I believe that we’ll have more intermediate picks in the third and fourth rounds. The players I project in my Picnic Basket will reflect that assumption.

With that in mind, let’s begin with my projections and alternatives for free agency.

Resignings:

High Priority—

These are the guys I’d like to see resigned before Free Agency begins.

Danny Trevathan(2 years at 8 million plus).

I think he likes it in Chicago and knows that his best chance for another ring. And let’s face it, who’s going to give him much more than that with the time he’s missed in Chicago alone. Maybe give him some incentives for starts, but he wanted much more than that, I’d let him walk and look to resign Kwit.

Roy Robertson Harris (1 year at 2.144 million).

That’s the cost of his original round tender for a RFA. We might lose him for this, but probably not. We’d be able to match any other tender to him.

Deon Bush (2 years at 3 million plus).

I like Bush. In fact, I believe that he might be a better fit for our defense than Ha Ha was. He’s more physical and a surer tackler. He knows the defense and deserves a real shot at earning the starting job. If he wins that starting role, give him a 100 K a game for a contract which come out to 3.1 million. For a starting safety, that is reasonable.

Let Them Walk:

Ha Ha Clinton Dix, Nick Kwiatkowski, Sherrick McManis, Chase Daniel, Ted Larsen, T. J. Clemmings, Bradley Sowell.

For the first four, I’d like to thank them for their service and let them go. Kwit and McManis is especially sad to see go. And although Kwit would be good insurance in case Danny gives us trouble renegotiating, his lack of speed is just too much of a detriment to deal with on a consistent basis. And Sherrick, it’s been swell, but it’s just too much to pay for a strictly a special teamer. Finally, Ha Ha, sorry. It’s been real, but too bad you play Eddie’s position. We need a true Strong Safety back there. Clemmings and Sowell never did anything to keep them around except maybe for losing weight. Lol

Low Priority:

Rashard Coward, Isaiah Irving, Deandre Houston-Carson, J.P. Holz, Aaron Lynch, Cornelius Lucas, Kevin Pierre-Louis, Nick Williams, Patrick Scales, Brent Urban.

Of these, KPL, Nick Williams, and Patrick Scales (as our long sapper) are the ones I most want to see back. The first four are RFAs so they should be back. It’s time for DHC to step into McMannis’ shoes. Personally, I thought that KPL looked as good as Kwit inside when he had the chance. Much more range on him. I’m just not sure if he can call signals. And Nick Williams at times seemed to be the only defensive lineman doing anything once Hicks went down. I think those two are the two most important resignings of this group. Lucas played well enough to be given more time. Coward, I don’t know. Didn’t show a lot but he still beat out Larsen. Isaiah I can give one more year to show something, and Lynch I could bring back on a deal similar to last year’s deal. None of these guys are absolutely critical to us. If somebody was to snatch them away, that would only increase our chances of a compensatory pick next year.

Renegotiation:

Leonard Floyd—

I love Leonard Floyd but even I must confess that 13 million is a lot for him. I’d like to see us renegotiate with him to a longer term deal that comes out to around 9-10 million per year. I do think that given time, Floyd will develop his pass rushing capability. He’s already started to add new moves and some power to his repertoire. A back loaded deal should be able to free up another 4-5 million for us.

With our that out of the way, let’s look at some acquisitions

New Acquisitions:

High Priority:

Eric Ebron, TE, (7.5 Million Per)

Nagy’s offense desperately needs a TE. The Chiefs have Travis Kelce; the Eagles have Ertz. Despite spending 22 million on Burton and a second rounder on Shaheen, Nagy’s had nothing but a medevac unit’s totes. Nagy desperately needs a consistent and healthy Tight End. I think that that could be Eric Ebron.

I must confess that when I originally thought about the TE issue, I was all in on Austin Hooper. I just wanted that consistency. That guy has only missed five games in four years despite having a MCL last year. And he has caught 70 plus balls in two consecutive seasons. He’s a model of consistency. And then Green Bay jumped in.

The more I researched this, the more I thought, ‘Fine, be that way. We should just drive the price up on them and then walk away. You see, I’ve found that Ebron has been a helluva lot healthier than I presumed. He hasn’t had a major injury yet: no ACL, no bad shoulder, nothing like that. All of his injuries have been hamstring or ankle injuries. After missing half of last year with an ankle, he’s only missed eight other games in his six year career. Speaking of which, he has two years more experience on two different teams than Hooper has, despite being only a year older.

What it comes downs to though is the tape. I mean face it, if you want to compare the threats of Ertz and Kelce, Ebron is a much more viable comparison than Hooper is. And you’d be getting him for less money. Dynamically, Ebron is by far the best receiving TE in Free Agency this year. Next to him, Hooper’s clips are a yawn. And oh, Hunter Henry might be the best all round Free Agent TE, but he sees the field about as often as Shaheen does, which is just a hair more than Tyler Eiffert does. We need a real threat who can stay on the field. I think that is Eric Ebron.

Besides, there’s also that North Carolina connection with Mitchell.

Marcus Mariota, QB, (10 Million Plus):

Call me an Oregon Homer, which I am, if you want, but I just get sick to death of hearing of possible trades for the likes of Derek Carr and Andy Dalton when there’s a QB with the potential of Marcus Mariota sitting out there just waiting to be claimed. The picture above is appropriate for Marcus’ Titan tenure as he was under constant pressure there, enduring seasons with 38, 25, 23, 48, and 25 (in six and a half games) sacks, while coping with five different offensive coordinators in as many years. And it’s not like he totally sucked there either. He led them to three straight 9-7 seasons. They lost out on the playoffs in two of those years as Marcus was lost at the end of those seasons due to injury. In the other, he led the to divisional round in the playoffs before they lost to the Patriots.

While it’s true that Ryan Tannehill outperformed Marcus this past season as he led the Titans to the playoffs, much of that is due to the fact that the Titans went strong to their running game to relieve the pressure being brought on the QB and Derek Henry started to take off. There’s also the very real possibility that the Titans “David Carred” Marcus a bit. 25 sacks in only six and a half games is ridiculous. Yet even then he still had his moments. He was benched after throwing for 7 TDs and only 2 picks and he had one game with a 133.4 QB Rating and another with a 129.7 QB Rating. The promise is there.

But instead we hear talk about us giving up resources for Derek Carr and Andy Dalton. With Mitchell Trubisky right now, we don’t know if we have our franchise QB yet. Far from it. And neither Carr nor Dalton is going to be that for us. Marcus very well could be. He’s a perfect fit for Nagy’s offense. Hell, it’s very similar to what he ran while at Oregon. It’s time to take Trusbisky’s training wheels off and give him the ultimatum—either do it or we have somebody else on the roster who will become what we’ve tried to set you up for. We have a chance to go all in on a potential franchise QB. We should take it.

Why would Marcus come to Chicago? A couple of reasons. First, we have to make it clear that he will have a real shot at beating out Mitchell for the starting gig. We offer to pay him 10 million plus one million for every start. That could come out to a one year deal of 26 million but more likely 20 million as he sits on the bench for the first six games or so. After the year, we’ll have to enter into a long term franchise QB deal with either Mitchell or Marcus, depending on who earns it, if either of them do. Second, we let him work under John Defilipo. Defilipo should be able to greatly improve Marcus’ technique, and whatever else suffered under the pressure at Tennessee. Pace went after Marcus once, I would love to see him go after him again. He has a real shot at him.

Alternative: Case Keenum.

Unfortunately, I think it’s more likely that we’ll bring in a guy like Keenum to support Trubisky for about three million rather than bring in real competition for him. And I’ll be left praying that Trubisky finally puts it all together while Marcus goes some place else to become a bona fide franchise QB, possibly New England. Heavy sigh.

Low Priority:

I call these low priority signings because they’re really depth signings while also providing possible competition for the starting spot. As such, they’re signings that can be put on hold, maybe even after the compensatory signings deadline occurs. Think Ha Ha or Larsen last year. In fact, with the Ha Ha signing, I think we might have found a unique approach to these types of prospects—get reputable players on your roster to recruit them, the way that Eddie recruited Ha Ha last year.

Karl Joseph, SS, (3-4 Million):

The more I see of this guy, the more I want Khalil to talk him into coming here. He’s not a turnover machine by any stretch. He has only 4 picks in four years. That’s what Eddie is for. What he is is an enforcer that we missed for so much of last year. Check out his clip and tell me you wouldn’t want him paired up with Jackson. The Raiders were apparently going to move on from him in ’18, and then in ’19 he injured his foot in the ninth game and was lost for the season. So he should be able to be had for a reasonable amount. If not him, Vonn Bell of New Orleans is another strong safety I’m really interested in.

Kendall Fuller, CB, (2 Million)

I pretty comfortable with Kyle Fuller and Kevin Tolliver as our starting CBs and with Buster Skrine and Duke Shelly as our slot corners. I’m curious how much last year’s seventh round pick, Stephen Denmark, has improved and how good our recent CFL signing Tre Roberson is. We did give him a pretty substantial 215 K in guaranteed money for a CFL signing. Still we could use some more depth and some more competition for a starting role at reasonable compensation.

Right now, there are a number of options at Free Agent CB who should bring in a modest signing number: From Eli Apple to Darqueze Dennard, to Jason Verrett, to Vernon Cockerell and Trae Waynes to resigning our own Prince. But how great would it be if Kyle to talk his brother into signing for 1.5 to 2 million plus incentives?

Last year, Kendall struggled a bit as he dealt with some injuries. As Bear fans, we all know how that was with Kyle a few years ago. But Kendall came through down the stretch as he started feeling better and finished by nabbing the game ending interception in the Super Bowl. The nice thing about Kendall is that although he’s performed best at slot corner, he’s also played wide CB and last year played free safety for the Chiefs. He could plus in at any of those positions for us. That’s a true depth signing.

With Washington:

With Kansas City:

Well, there’s my absolute brilliant take on Free Agency. Talk about stealing a Picnic Basket! I’ll post my Post Combine Draft Picnic Basket later this week.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Lotta good thoughts there, but I'll just give some differences:

No Instincts Bush high priority?!? ... Hell, no.

No to Ebron. Brittle and not a good enough blocker.

Mariota hasn't been in a spread O which he needs, but shares an agent with Trubisky and some of the same faults: struggles with reads and accuracy from the pocket.; bland personality, doesn't inspire teammates; too injury-prone.

I would put a fairly high priority on KPL as you do. And he won't be expensive.

Of the scrubs, I kinda like Holtz--tough (a bit stiff ;) ) versatile, rugged on STs
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Some Clarifications for You:

On Bush--I list Bush as a high priority resigning only in the temporal sense. I would like to see him resigned to a modest contract before the advent of free agency. Right now, Eddie Jackson is the only Safety on our roster. When you go into free agency with that kind of hole, you only put yourself behind the eight ball in approaching other free agents. I'd like to see the position modestly addressed before bidding on other free agents. I'm not saying to break the bank on him, but to offer him a reasonable contract with incentives if he's to win the starting role. He already knows the defense, so he's already ahead in the game. And if he wants to test the market, so be it. But I'd like to see us make an honest attempt to resign him before hand.

On Ebron--You know, him being brittle is EXACTLY what I thought before I started to look into it. In point of fact, he's not that brittle at all. Before this last season, he played in all sixteen games in consecutive seasons. This year he played in 11. Other than that, he's played in 13, 14, and 13 games. In his six year career, he's played in 83 of a possible 96 career games. And all of his injuries have been nothing more than hamstring or ankle issues. There's been no serious injury, be it a knee or anything else, in his entire career.

You're absolutely right on his blocking. It needs to improve. But we need a playmaker at TE. That's what Kelce is for the Chiefs and Ertz is for the Eagles. That's what Ebron is. He is a matchup nightmare in the receiving game. Hooper, not so much so. I wouldn't be unhappy with Hooper. He is consistent. In fact, he was my first choice. But for a couple to three million less, we can get a real threat. Ebron scares defenses in a way that I don't believe that Hooper does.

On Mariota--At the end of this year, I want a franchise QB. I believe in Trubisky, but I'm not sold on him. You bring in any of these other guys and you're looking at nothing more than stop gap players, not true franchise guys, not anymore. Mariota and Trubisky are very similar, although I think that Marcus is quite a bit ahead at this point, which should be expected. If one of them goes down, you can simply plug the other in without changing anything. The biggest concern with Marcus is if he's shell shocked. I think there might be a bit of that, but he certainly has no more issues than Mitchell does. Them sharing the same Agent I don't think makes a difference. Agents are paid to put their players in the best possible position for success. That's the way I look at it at least.
Richie
MVP

I don't like Ebron and Mariota as signings. I also would rather keep Kwit than 30 year old Trevathan coming off of a big injury. He's compiled a pretty good list of injuries over his career and is getting up there.

I also think Hooper is head/shoulders better than Ebron. So, I admire and appreciate your effort. It was a worthy read. However, personally, this falls apart for me before it starts.

I don't care much about a players highlight reel. By definition - they show only the bright moments from a player's career.

Ebron's reputation around the league is "lack of effort" "dropped passes" and "can't/won't block".

Maybe his "highlight reel" is more fun than Hooper? But I would be willing to bet his "low-light" reel is a lot more gut wrenching.

You know who else doesn't have a particularly fantastic highlight reel? Zach Ertz.

Ebron is more talented than Hooper, sure. However, that's only half of a player's story.

Hooper is a much better football player than Ebron. Which is a lot more important. Hooper has also shown improvement in every season. Ebron's pitfalls continue to plague him.

Mariota is also just Mitch who failed to improve in year #4 and got jettisoned. Basically, he's Mitch in one year's time unless Mitch should have some massive breakthrough. I don't have much interest in Mitch's doppelganger.

Carr, Dalton and even Alex Smith (if cleared) have all had actual periods of success in this league. They're proven to be competent and serviceable. We don't need another project. We need a contingency plan. A guy where we (if Mitch doesn't show growth) know what we're getting if we're forced to shift gears. A veteran who can operate at a functional level.
cblaz11
MVP

I love a lot of this...

I would move Nick Williams and Pierre Louis to high priority.

I only take Danny T if Kwit costs substantially more...Which I think he will.

I’ve become a fan of Deon Bush. I agree that I think there’s a shot of him starting next to Jackson and I think he has earned the opportunity. Every season the guy has seemed to improved.

I’m iffy on Ebron...The guy was an epic bust in Detroit and seems to have some legit character concerns. That said, his talent is off the charts.

Honestly, I really like every aspect of this. When are you posting the draft??
dplank
Hall of Famer

@Yogi

I really don't understand Ebron here. If he's all that your writeup says he is, why did Detroit let him go when they drafted the guy in the first place? And why was he summarily dismissed by Ballard in Indy (like, almost in a FU kind of way)? Something is off with his personality is my guess, I suspect a bad locker room/teammate sorta thing but have no proof so just speculating as to why a guy with his physical gifts and age would be dumped twice already.
wab
Mod

I appreciate the effort that went into this. I don't like very much of it, but I appreciate the effort.
BR0D1E86
MVP

A few thoughts...

You say you want Trevathan instead of Kwiatkowski because he's faster, but Kwit ran a somewhat significantly faster 40 time and he's younger. 40 time isn't necessarily football speed, but to pretend like Trevathan is faster simply isn't correct

And I'm unconcerned with Ebron's supposed brittleness and more concerned with his awfulness. I have no interest in him at almost any price.

I'd also prioritize Karl Joseph more, since I think he's not insignificantly better than Bush.

I also don't think Floyd is worth significantly more than a fringe starter at his position. I'd outright cut him, since it's unrealistic that he'd sign anything remotely close to what I think he's with with that 5th year option in existence

Otherwise I don't have any maybe problems with your plan, except that I'd only offer Mariota half of what you do. If he finds more, good for him.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I’d like to see Nick Williams and Kevin Pierre-Louis prioritized. Both stepped in when needed and delivered.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:05 am I appreciate the effort that went into this. I don't like very much of it, but I appreciate the effort.
Cosigned. :toast:
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Hoog
Player of the Month

Yogi, you know I love ya but any FA list with the POS Eric Ebron on it and I'm done. I'm also not a fan of Mariotta on this team but all the others are all right. I live near Detroit and have had to watch Ebron for years. He sucks buddy and there is no way he should even touch $7.5M. He literally had one good year in six years of hype in this league. Just to show you what I mean, he had 13TD's in one year with Luck. He has had 14 TD's in the other 5 years. He has a 62% career catch rate and was only at 59% last year. He's lazy and inconstant running routes and with his hands. I wouldn't touch this guy for $2M a year. Sorry buddy but I'm not on board with this FA basket. Here's my suggestion:

Free Agent Signings:
Breshaud Perriman (26), WR- we absolutely need a burner to stretch the field. We have too many guys that do the same thing (Ridley, Wims, etc..) so pair this guy with Robinson and Miller to form a really nice trio for Mitch. Contract- 2 years at $14M

Vic Beasley (27), OLB and Emmanuel Ogbah (26) OLB- we need some guys that can get after the QB and take some pressure off of Mack plus add some depth. There is no way I am up to paying Floyd $13M so I’m getting two guys on his level and possibly better to replace him. Both need to stay healthy and we will draft another guy. Keeping the contracts short due to injury with a two year $16M for Beasley and a two year $8M for Ogbah. Both are young enough to get large contracts after these if they produce. I’m willing to take the gamble.

Logan Ryan (30), CB- I want to win now and I think Pace/Nagy need to as well. Without having two good CB’s starting in our division and with our schedule next year, I am putting money into one of the best all around CB’s out there. He’s a vet who plays big in big games. I’m giving him two years at $22M to come win a championship.

Vonn Bell (25), SS- I think he fits everything we need next to Jackson. He’s also young and as I said about CB, we need to protect ourselves against the pass in our division. I’m willing to give this kid a four year $24M contract to bring him in and do the job next to Jackson.

Nick Vannett (26), TE- One of, if not the best blocking TE’s out there who has also shown improvement with his hands. I think he’s on the upswing. Put him in with Burton, a draft pick (Harrison Bryant or Dalton Keene), and Demetrius Harris. Cut Shaheen/Braunecker and we are all set. His contract will be three years at $5.25M.

Nick Kwiatkoski, Joe Schobert, and Blake Martinez (26), ILB- All three of these guys are solid ILB’s at 26 years old. I would offer up a 4 year $24M contract to all of them and the first to accept it is who we sign. All three would fill in admirably next to Smith. If we have to go cheaper, I go with Yogi’s two year deal with Danny T.

In the draft you go RG early (Robert Hunt, Isaiah Wilson, Solomon Kindley, John Simpson, Hakeem Adeniji, or Ben Bredeson along with the TE mentioned above. Also, look for a young back up OLB (Jonathan Greenard, Alton Robinson, Anfernee Jennings, etc..) and back up young ILB (Logan Wilson, Cam Brown, MyKal Walker, Shaun Bradley, and Willie Gay).
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Im not sure where you are getting all the money Hoog - Perriman (or any WR that isnt cheap) should NOT be on the radar IMHO (especially with this draft crop)
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

A Few Responses:

First, I think I misled y'all with the term "High Priority." I meant that strictly in a temporal sense, as in to be attempted to be resigned BEFORE free agency begins. Players like KPL and Nick Williams can be signed after the start of free agency. We have players at those positions, and I don't think anybody's going to swoop in and snatch them up. I say this though with one qualification--KPL.

I was really, really impressed with how KPL played inside last year. He actually covered very well, much better than Kwit. Incidentally, I went with Danny as a "High Priority" resigning because Pace has already implied as much. As to who's faster: Kwit or Danny, all you have to do is count the number of times you've seen each of them futilely trailing their coverage responsibility. Kwit leads in that category by a large margin. There can be all sorts of reasons for a depressed 40 time by Danny coming out, like injury or simply a bad day. I think I'll trust what I see on the field when I say that Danny is considerably faster than Kwit.

But truthfully, I don't know the inner workings of the Bears enough. I originally wanted to make KPL a High Priority signing and let BOTH Kwit and Danny walk. We'd almost be assured of a high compensatory pick in that scenario. The problem is I believe that either Kwit or Danny were calling signals for us. Can KPL handle those? I don't know. Nor do I know if Roquan can handle them given the personal issues he had last year. If either one of them can, I'd be okay with letting both Kwit and Danny walk, as I have a LB prospect in the draft I'm really high on.

As to Ebron:

Everything I've heard here is very much what I originally believed with respect to Ebron, but I've done a lot of research on this. Ebron seems like a fun loving guy who can be somewhat abrasive. Here's a funny clip on him.

Personally, I think that kind of attitude would fit in great with Club Dub. Here's another clip which shows how down to earth he can be:

I have no problem whatsoever with that attitude. And if you want to really compare the talent level of Hooper and Ebron, call me when Hooper scores 13 TDs in a season. Only one good year for Ebron? He's had over 700 yards twice and over 500 yards in four of his six seasons. He's averaged 48 receptions a year and 11.3 a reception to go with 27 TDs.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Couple of other notes:

I'm working on it CBlaz. Working on it. lol

The one thing that disturbs about Ebron is that he did seem to write it in a bit last year. I don't like it, but I think it's also understandable to a degree. I mean his QB just left the team in the lurch. Just walked away. My guess is that Ebron didn't hesitate to express his opinion on that (that's the type of personality he is) and may have alienated some of the staff and other players--like Brissett. I'd like to also see him improve his blocking. Of course, I'd like to see Allen Robinson improve his blocking as well (his lack of blocking effort last year was atrocious). Maybe we can get a coach who actually instill these things into the players.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:05 am I appreciate the effort that went into this. I don't like very much of it, but I appreciate the effort.
Took the words out of my mouth. Really nice bunch of work that went into this. That I don't agree with significant amounts is just my O.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.