Potential Target: TE Charles Clay

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

Has experience with Bill Lazor (2014) to the tune of 84 targets, 58 receptions, 605 yards and 3 TDs.

Should be had for pretty cheap... roughly $1M is the estimate on rotoworld.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

IE
Hall of Famer

If the Bears give the current guys 84 targets, I believe their production would be at least equivalent to what Clay can do. With potential upside. So not surprisingly I'd prefer Burton and the Jags get the looks in 2020 and save Pace dollars for more valuable folks. It would be great if that were Hooper or Henry. But not a Jag swap like Clay.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
wab
Mod

Pass. I don't believe he's better than the 9 randos the Bears already have behind Burton and Harris.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Minor nit, Harris is also a "rando".

But I agree, no thx on Clay. If this is the best we can do i'd rather draft someone.
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

If we can get clay for 1 million, the upside to him is he can play either TE position, for cheap. Which would allow him as a hedge against Burton either way -- if Burton is healthy, Burton and Clay are your starting move and in-line TEs. If Burton can't get healthy, Clay and Demetrius Harris are your likely starters (at least Nagy can feel confident that Harris knows and functions within his scheme).
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I'm calling it right now: Demetrius Harris doesn't make our opening day roster.
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:44 am I'm calling it right now: Demetrius Harris doesn't make our opening day roster.
I don't think he does either. But as of right now, he's the Bears #2 TE :)
IE
Hall of Famer

Hi. I'm a useful guy to have on the field. I can block in-line as a TE, even line up and play some FB, and proved I can catch passes at a 85% clip and give max effort when the QB gets around to throwing to me. Some may be ignoring me, but the new OC and position coaches are certainly not. And Mr. Pace likes that I only cost 500K while other people are wanting him to spend money he doesn't have. I may not be Kyle Juszczyk, but I cost 1/10th as much and I can play some football.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... ltJ.01.htm#
wab
Mod

I'll start by saying that I really like Holtz.

It's just that...an 85% catch rate sounds impressive until you see that he caught a whole 7 out of 8 passes in 15 games.
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

I think Holtz probably sticks as the 4th TE on the roster.
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:04 pm I'll start by saying that I really like Holtz.

It's just that...an 85% catch rate sounds impressive until you see that he caught a whole 7 out of 8 passes in 15 games.
Yeah...I did qualify it a bit. That's not a large sample that's for sure. Personally I'd like to have had more visibility into where the diminishing returns would be for Holtz and Horsted before we assume they can't muster at least the same production as these other Jags being offered for consideration. Because between the two of them they showed a level of reliability that you would think would be valued, if we really believe the QB was haunted by pass droppings.

Anyway... what could these guys do? Call their own plays and throw to each other? :)
Richie
MVP

dplank wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:45 am Minor nit, Harris is also a "rando".

But I agree, no thx on Clay. If this is the best we can do i'd rather draft someone.
I don't think Harris is a "rando".

This will be his 7th season in the league. 86 games and 39 starts. Great blocker and athlete. Not having very good hands has kept him as a #2 TE in the league. However, he established a role in two different places. I don't think that's a "rando".

He would look quite nice as our 3rd/blocking TE if you bring in another pass catcher like Hooper to go along with Burton.
Richie
MVP

Per the topic. No thanks to Clay. We need a superior pass catcher to what we already have. Otherwise, there's no point in even bringing a guy in. Might as well stick with the pool of guys we have.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Richie...I believe they need a better blocker at Y even more. With the QBs this team is likely to have, they need to run better and more often.

Would like to see Vannett signed to pair with Shaheen at Y and a rookie drafted to pair with Burton at U to supplant him 2021.
IE
Hall of Famer

Did you say "with Shaheen" in the context of him being on the team? Didn't he have his locker cleared mid-season, effectively, because he's so completely awful?