Three MUST sign FA

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Hoog
Player of the Month

Well, we are getting close so I thought I'd throw out three of the guys I think we MUST sign.

1. Nick Vanett- low end cost but big time value. Probably THE best blocker at the TE position in the league and a developing pass catcher. I don't trust the Demetrius Harris signing especially since they tried to sell him as a blocker. Our run game needs and deserves a solid run blocker at the TE position. This guy will help out in the pass game but absolutely make a drastic improvement in our run game. He'll be right around $3M a year. Very low cost for what you will get.

2. Graham Glasgow- very solid OG who combines power with pass blocking skills. Ideal RG in our system with that combination. Also can play LG or OC as well but I don't want to bounce him around. Keep him at RG and watch him do his thing. He has been my top choice for our RG spot since he became a FA. Hoping the Lions screw up again with their personnel moves and he doesn't resign with them.

3. Emmanuel Ogbah- This kid is a solid and versatile OLB/DE that is going to come cheap due to a late season injury. I think he was highly underrated in Cleveland and was making plays in KC before he got injured. If he checks out medically, he should come cheap and produce very well in our defense. He had 5.5 sacks in 10 games last year and has had 6 and 8 pass defenses in a year so he is more agile than people give him credit for and I think we could benefit in the contract due to the injury.
Drone7
Player of the Month

sounds good
spudbear
MVP

I like the idea of Vannett over Hooper. I can see a starting combination of Burton, Vannett, Holtz and 2nd rd TE rookie. Burton and Vannett may give Nagy the 2 TE combo he has been looking for before Shaheen busted.

Glasgow sounds intriguing if available. Ogbah could be pursued if Pace decides to let Floyd see what his real market value is. Hate to see another first rounder leave Halas Hall, but it comes down to production and value.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Interesting. But you labeled this thread as "Three MUST sign FAs." We can get by without any of these signings. The one thing that we absolutely HAVE to sign is a safety. We only have one on our roster right not. If you're talking about must signings, that's certainly one of them--either a resigning of our own or bringing in somebody new.
Last edited by Yogi da Bear on Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wab
Mod

Yogi da Bear wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:08 pm Interesting. But you labeled this thread as "Three MUST sign FAs." We can get buy without any of these signings. The one thing that we absolutely HAVE to sign is a safety. We only have one on our roster right not. If you're talking about must signings, that's certainly one of them--either a resigning of our own or bringing in somebody new.
Well, technically we have 3.

Also, the Lions badly need help at guard, but they are letting Glasgow walk apparently.

Ogbah has never been healthy.

I can get down with Vannett I suppose, but he’s basically Shaheen if Shaheen worked out. He’s not much of a downfield threat.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I don’t know Harris’ contract situation and if the Bears lose much money if they cut him. Vannett seems to be a duplication, not really necessary. I like Glasgow, he would solidify the position and draft picks could be used elsewhere (although they need to keep bringing in new OL blood each year). Ogbah has been fragile, I’m not sure he could be a full time Floyd replacement even at a lower contract.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Drone7
Player of the Month

How is Vannett a duplication when the Bears don't have a single, durable, big Y that can block?
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Drone7 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:07 pm How is Vannett a duplication when the Bears don't have a single, durable, big Y that can block?
I thought that was to be Harris' role although the team supposedly wants him to play U also.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Grizzled wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:00 am
Drone7 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:07 pm How is Vannett a duplication when the Bears don't have a single, durable, big Y that can block?
I thought that was to be Harris' role although the team supposedly wants him to play U also.
Bears seem stuck on using Burton there (U) this year until they clear his bad contract; I want a draftee U to replace him in 2021.

But the prime need, is for a Y TE that can block better than the guys they have; Shaheen has been brittle and is therefore unreliable--he will have to fight for a roster spot as a rotational Y. Nagy needs to realize that as long as they trot out average passers like Trubisky, Dalton, Mariota, Keenum etc, that the O must be more run-based, and having a good blocking Y is critical especially when your #1 RB lacks speed to the outside; especially when the OTs are run of the mill players. Vannett would come relatively cheap and he will upgrade their blocking depth.
wab
Mod

J.P. Holtz is a fantastic blocker.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Vannett’s a much bigger man at Y
Richie
MVP

I like Glasgow. I think we all do. However, he's going to cost quite a pretty penny.

The Bears CAN afford to pay up for a bigger name. Probably only one, though. Going after him assures you're going to look for value at essentially every other area of need. If you're okay with that being our one big spending spree. That's cool. I wouldn't dislike it, that is for sure.

I do like Hooper, though.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Not based on anything but a feeling but I don't think the Bears are going to spend scarce FA dollars on a premium guard. I see someone more in the $2 to 5M range and Glasgow will get more than this. Same with a
U tight end, the bidding on Hooper is going to start at $10M per year. Other guys in the $4 to 6 or 7M range, maybe but these guys all come with durability issues.