FA Activity/Rumor Thread

The latest Bears news and talk

Moderators: wab, RING4CHI, Pagan

User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 20536
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

FA Activity/Rumor Thread

Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:48 am

Figured I'd start a thread about free agency.

First big rumor is that the Bears are close to a deal with Bridgewater. Per the Twitter
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 20536
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: FA Activity/Rumor Thread

Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:48 am

Browns have signed Hooper

Wonder if this means Njoku becomes available.
cblaz11
Assistant Coach
Posts: 556
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:02 pm

Re: FA Activity/Rumor Thread

Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:52 am

What does that say about Njoku if the Browns gave all that money to Hopper. Smoke means fire...hard pass

I’d kick the tires in Ingram from NY though lol
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 20536
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: FA Activity/Rumor Thread

Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:06 pm

Ereck Flowers setting the market for guards and getting a boatload of cash from the Dolphins. Probably prices guys like Glasgow and Thuney out of the Bears range.
Drone7
Player of the Month
Posts: 383
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:44 pm

Re: FA Activity/Rumor Thread

Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:08 pm

Thuney was tagged.
User avatar
Moriarty
MVP
Posts: 1567
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:22 pm

Re: FA Activity/Rumor Thread

Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:11 pm

wab wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:48 am
Figured I'd start a thread about free agency.

First big rumor is that the Bears are close to a deal with Bridgewater. Per the Twitter

That would be crazy.
Spotrac has his contract/market value estimated at 21.5M. Even Carr would be (financially, leaving out the draft pick) cheaper.

Who's saying it?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
User avatar
Moriarty
MVP
Posts: 1567
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:22 pm

Re: FA Activity/Rumor Thread

Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:12 pm

wab wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:06 pm
Ereck Flowers setting the market for guards and getting a boatload of cash from the Dolphins. Probably prices guys like Glasgow and Thuney out of the Bears range.
Yeah, that was always going to have to be dealt with via a draft pick, in my mind.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 20536
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: FA Activity/Rumor Thread

Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:14 pm

Moriarty wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:11 pm
wab wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:48 am
Figured I'd start a thread about free agency.

First big rumor is that the Bears are close to a deal with Bridgewater. Per the Twitter

That would be crazy.
Spotrac has his contract/market value estimated at 21.5M. Even Carr would be (financially, leaving out the draft pick) cheaper.

Who's saying it?
Several people on the Twitter (no one super reliable). But Chris Simms seems to think it's happening too.
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 20536
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: FA Activity/Rumor Thread

Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:14 pm

David Johnson traded to the Texans.
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 20536
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: FA Activity/Rumor Thread

Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:18 pm

Arik Armstead returning to the Niners on a 5 year deal
BR0D1E86
MVP
Posts: 1782
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:50 am

Re: FA Activity/Rumor Thread

Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:21 pm

Falncons released Devonta Freeman.

Derrick Henry got tagged.
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 20536
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: FA Activity/Rumor Thread

Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:26 pm

wab wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:14 pm
David Johnson traded to the Texans.
This is a bad deal.

#Texans get:
David Johnson
2020 2nd-rd pick
2021 4th-rd pick

#AZCardinals get:
DeAndre Hopkins
4th-rd pick TBD
The Cooler King
Player of the Month
Posts: 385
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:07 pm

Re: FA Activity/Rumor Thread

Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:35 pm

Whoa, if they sign Bridgewater. That'd tell you everthing you need to know about how they feel about Trubisky. He is gonna command decent payment.

That said, I'm struggling to find a repuatable source tweeting it.
Fka "BillGeorge61" @CBFans.net
BR0D1E86
MVP
Posts: 1782
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:50 am

Re: FA Activity/Rumor Thread

Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:36 pm

That seeems like a pretty monumentally stupid deal for Houston, unless I'm missing something.
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 20536
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: FA Activity/Rumor Thread

Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:38 pm

The Cooler King wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:35 pm
Whoa, if they sign Bridgewater. That'd tell you everthing you need to know about how they feel about Trubisky. He is gonna command decent payment.

That said, I'm struggling to find a repuatable source tweeting it.
Yeah, doesn't feel like there is much traction behind it. But hey, we're all stuck at home and FA is here.
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 20536
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: FA Activity/Rumor Thread

Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:42 pm

Well then...
Drone7
Player of the Month
Posts: 383
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:44 pm

Re: FA Activity/Rumor Thread

Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:49 pm

Hopkins might be my favorite WR in the league to watch...sounds like they are shedding a big contract up the road knowing they'll be forking over a lot for Watson soon. That was Watson's go-to WR. Deep receiver draft though.
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 20536
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: FA Activity/Rumor Thread

Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:56 pm

Kwit headed to the Raiders.
RichH55
Player of the Month
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:23 pm

Re: FA Activity/Rumor Thread

Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:57 pm

Drone7 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:49 pm
Hopkins might be my favorite WR in the league to watch...sounds like they are shedding a big contract up the road knowing they'll be forking over a lot for Watson soon. That was Watson's go-to WR. Deep receiver draft though.


Watson just magically got worse at football
cblaz11
Assistant Coach
Posts: 556
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:02 pm

Re: FA Activity/Rumor Thread

Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:58 pm

Drone7 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:49 pm
Hopkins might be my favorite WR in the league to watch...sounds like they are shedding a big contract up the road knowing they'll be forking over a lot for Watson soon. That was Watson's go-to WR. Deep receiver draft though.
My initial thought as well...then I thought I read that their salaries (Hopkins/Johnson) we’re almost identical. Is that true?
User avatar
crueltyabc
Head Coach
Location: New Orleans LA
Posts: 3435
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 7:36 pm

Re: FA Activity/Rumor Thread

Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:17 pm

@spotrac
We’ve seen tampering period deals fall through before. How many NFL GMs are on the horn with Houston right now offering a WAY better deal for DeAndre Hopkins? Nothing officially official until Wednesday afternoon...
This is the only way you can make sense of it. This was a trial balloon???
User avatar
IotaNet
Crafty Veteran
Location: Minneapolis (Chicago Native)
Posts: 832
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:04 am

Re: FA Activity/Rumor Thread

Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:18 pm

I would have no problem with Teddy Bridgewater. Smart, tough, accurate, takes care of the football, OUTSTANDING work ethic, and excellent locker room guy. He's not going to light up the field with long bombs but I think he'd be excellent running Nagy's offense.
User avatar
Mikefive
Head Coach
Location: Valparaiso, IN, USA
Posts: 3452
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:33 pm

Re: FA Activity/Rumor Thread

Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:19 pm

wab wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:42 pm
Well then...
I've never been a TeddyB fan. But Packer fan son is telling me I'm nuts and that this is a really good move for us, because...
1. TB is better than MT (true).
2. With a good defense, we need a competent game manager (he is).
3. Maybe we can trade 10 for a late draft pick and get something for him.
4. $21M is cheap for a starting QB these days.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
BR0D1E86
MVP
Posts: 1782
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:50 am

Re: FA Activity/Rumor Thread

Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:21 pm

Mikefive wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:19 pm
wab wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:42 pm
Well then...
I've never been a TeddyB fan. But Packer fan son is telling me I'm nuts and that this is a really good move for us, because...
1. TB is better than MT (true).
2. With a good defense, we need a competent game manager (he is).
3. Maybe we can trade 10 for a late draft pick and get something for him.
All true, and trading Trubisky would save about 4.5 million. Not that I'm in love with the idea because I've never been especially high on Teddy B either. He is most assuredly better than our current starter though.
The Cooler King
Player of the Month
Posts: 385
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:07 pm

Re: FA Activity/Rumor Thread

Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:23 pm

Mikefive wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:19 pm

3. Maybe we can trade 10 for a late draft pick and get something for him.
Wouldn't need much. Whatever cap saving they can get is enough (I don't think they're on the hook for the full amount in a trade).

Teddy is gonna cost good money. I'm sure Pace will backload some (and he may get smaller guarantees with his injury history), but Pace has already been pretty aggressive with the little space he has with Jackson and Trevathan.
Fka "BillGeorge61" @CBFans.net
Drone7
Player of the Month
Posts: 383
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:44 pm

Re: FA Activity/Rumor Thread

Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:27 pm

Bridgewater isn't good enough to Save Face er Pace.
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 20536
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: FA Activity/Rumor Thread

Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:27 pm

Looks like Hayden Hurst is heading to ATL in a trade.
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 20536
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: FA Activity/Rumor Thread

Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:28 pm

Drone7 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:27 pm
Bridgewater isn't good enough to Save Face er Pace.
It's.... getting old.
BR0D1E86
MVP
Posts: 1782
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:50 am

Re: FA Activity/Rumor Thread

Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:31 pm

Drone7 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:27 pm
Bridgewater isn't good enough to Save Face er Pace.
Why? Undiagnosed mental illness?
BR0D1E86
MVP
Posts: 1782
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:50 am

Re: FA Activity/Rumor Thread

Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:32 pm

wab wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:27 pm
Looks like Hayden Hurst is heading to ATL in a trade.
Basically for a 2nd. They also exchanged 4th and 5th round picks.

Return to “Halas Hall”