Bears sign TE Jimmy Graham to 2yr, $16M deal

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Someone help me get excited about Tre Burton, Jimmy Graham, and Demetrius Harris.

I beg you.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

He’s still a good red zone target and that was an issue for the bears. Was it an $8m issue?? Uh...
xyt in the discord chats
dplank
Hall of Famer

I dunno, it's not THAT bad. He can still play and may do well not having to be a focus guy. They are counting on Burton coming back full speed, that's for sure, but if that actually happens this could work out for us. Looking at what Hooper got, that's just crazy.

If we were going old though, I'd have gone after Darren Fells for cheaper. How do we afford a quality RG now?
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:44 pm Someone help me get excited about Tre Burton, Jimmy Graham, and Demetrius Harris.

I beg you.
I don't think Demetrius Harris makes the team, does that help? Or...wait...how about this: Adam Shaheen is likely a goner now?

Graham is 6'7 and still a tough cover over the middle, he just lacks explosion now. Burton is a smaller guy for a TE. I see them being on the field together in 2 TE sets a whole lot and the fact that neither is really "the guy" only helps them both I'd think. Big red zone target also, an area we struggled.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Between this and the Trevathan move, it looks like Pace has adopted a geriatric strategy. If this is all due to the fact that we’re handcuffed due to the Khalil Mack contract, then I am having buyer’s remorse on Khalil Mack. Fucking great player, but the rest of the team is going to shit.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Wounded Bear wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:03 pm Between this and the Trevathan move, it looks like Pace has adopted a geriatric strategy. If this is all due to the fact that we’re handcuffed due to the Khalil Mack contract, then I am having buyer’s remorse on Khalil Mack. Fucking great player, but the rest of the team is going to shit.

1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:47 pm He’s still a good red zone target and that was an issue for the bears. Was it an $8m issue?? Uh...
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/288 ... ove#graham

For all the chatter about how Graham was going to be a devastating threat for Aaron Rodgers in the red zone, he caught eight passes there over two years in Green Bay, five of which went for scores. Rodgers had an 84.4 passer rating with Graham on the field in the red zone, but that mark rose to 123.6 when Graham wasn't out there.

i hate it! this is pace's by-now typical "covering all your bases so you can take BPA" thing which, fine, but cmon there's way he's worth half that contract at this point. and i'm not even a guy who complains about contract #'s.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Sign of panic mode. It's like buying $200 worth of charmin. Straight up panic.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:13 pm Sign of panic mode. It's like buying $200 worth of charmin. Straight up panic.
Its like paying $200 for a roll of TP because you saw an empty shelf.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Wounded Bear wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:03 pm Between this and the Trevathan move, it looks like Pace has adopted a geriatric strategy. If this is all due to the fact that we’re handcuffed due to the Khalil Mack contract, then I am having buyer’s remorse on Khalil Mack. Fucking great player, but the rest of the team is going to shit.
I would say they are going to be more handcuffed by paying 8 million per year for players that could have been had for 1/2 that. Or better yet, younger healthier players could have been had, or more productive players could have been had.

I could buy Danny, until I saw the contract being actually more than Kwit.

I could buy Graham, at 1/3 what they paid.

Right now I think they are all sniffing glue.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:48 pm
I would say they are going to be more handcuffed by paying 8 million per year for players that could have been had for 1/2 that. Or better yet, younger healthier players could have been had, or more productive players could have been had.

I could buy Danny, until I saw the contract being actually more than Kwit.

I could buy Graham, at 1/3 what they paid.

Right now I think they are all sniffing glue.

Sorry, I can't help anyone get excited about this.
Trying to make you laugh instead of cry or rage is all I've got.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

A very solid argument could be made that Graham's '19 GB production put onto the '19 Bears would've granted the Bears 3.5 more wins (I only give half a game to argue the Eagles game) and playoffs.
IE
Hall of Famer

I'm wondering if Burton is coming back. Or are they really going to trot out two non-blocking TEs out there? Naw - I can't see it. I think I think Burton is gone. If he gets an injury settlement is he still a cap hit?

And honestly I can't imagine why anyone would even mention Shaheen as being on the team. He's technically under contract - but they friggin cut him mid-season he was so bad.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:11 pm I'm wondering if Burton is coming back. Or are they really going to trot out two non-blocking TEs out there? Naw - I can't see it. I think I think Burton is gone. If he gets an injury settlement is he still a cap hit?

And honestly I can't imagine why anyone would even mention Shaheen as being on the team. He's technically under contract - but they friggin cut him mid-season he was so bad.
I believe his deal is guaranteed for injury. So whatever is dead is dead whether he's cut for health or performance.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Not a fan of this deal, to put it mildly. I'll try to talk myself into it before the season though.
Umbali
MVP

I have tried hard to like this and forced myself to find some silver lining : His lack of production for the past few years means less wear and tear on his body :P

thats all i got
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
IE
Hall of Famer

OK after sleeping on it I'm going to file this under "win now". I can't see them burning draft capital at TE now, though - after locking in all those dollars at TE.

If Burton stays (which i'm going to still go ahead and doubt), Graham is the starter. Then Burton. Then Demetrius Harris, Holtz and Horsted (maybe back to PS for more dev).

The only real negative on the group is the cost in '20. Other than that if you look at the overall group they have experience & past success, good hands, decent blocking, and some young guys with nice upside.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
dave99
Assistant Coach

For many of us older fans this is familiar territory. The Bears signing a has- been off a better teams's waste pile in an effort to salvage the wreckage of past drafts.
I expect to see more of this as Pace tires to patch his leaky boat.
Spoiler alert: It never works.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Hate the contract, not the player. Similar to the Danny T contract for me. Graham's a shell of what he was, but still better than what we have at TE. His bad season last year was still better than what our entire group did on the season. I also think he is a far better fit in this offense then Green Bay or Seattle
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

This will be a 1 year hire. Graham and Burton will function as the 2 tight ends with different skills used in the KC offense.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Neither can block. Graham is slow as hell. Burton is an injury waiting to happen and lord only knows what he will bring if and when healthy.
skamanfrank
Journeyman

I'm trying, but failing to find anything I like about this deal :(
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I am not even trying. We will just have to wait and see how he performs. If it is as bad as we all think, lord help Ryan Pace. If he cannot get the QB situation figured out...…...he gone.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Amen, Otis.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

It's a pretty clear overpay - zero question there (not sure why people are down about the DT stuff)

Only positives - it's short (I basically read it as a 1 year deal where the cap hit is spread over 2 years, he's better than what we had (low bar), and it does NOT effect us getting a Comp Pick
WagonForce
MVP

I slept on this and still don't like it. It seems desperate.
spudbear
MVP

After a few good seasons with NO, Graham went to SEA and didn't do much of anything. GB took a chance, with many of us sniggering over it, and once again he was an afterthought. If two of the best QB's in the league, Wilson and Rogers, can't utilize him then it looks like there's a problem with the player.

This seems like a "Whoa, lost Hooper way too expensive so let's settle for Graham" move. I'm waiting to hear a Pace presser where he expresses his sentiment that he had targeted Graham all along. Uh huh.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
wab
Mod

I'm still going with the "veteran leadership in a young group" angle.
wab
Mod

But I still hate it.
Hoog
Player of the Month

BOOO, BOOO, BOOO, hated it so much I had to come back and Boo again.