Where does the QB situation go now?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:37 pm Dalton is going to be a Patriot, whether it's via trade or after he's cut.

Bears are going to have to pick between Winston or Newton if they want a starting caliber QB. Otherwise it's Jeff Driskel level players.
Really? That's depressing. I don't want either. Cam's shoulder is shot, and Winston's brain is shot. Neither are starting caliber QB's anymore.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Who's the kid in SF that came in and lit it up two years ago when Jimmy G and the back-up went down?
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:53 pm Who's left?

James Winston
Sam Bradford
Trevor Siemian
Colt McCoy
Brett Hundley
Blaine Gabbert
Brock Lobstah
Geno Smith

bleh
Driskel
Mullens
G08
Hall of Famer

Mullens re-signed with San Fran
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I'm telling you, I think it's going to be Tyler Bray and a draft pick. Probably the Washington State QB. But maybe the kid from FIU.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:53 pm Who's left?

James Winston
Sam Bradford
Trevor Siemian
Colt McCoy
Brett Hundley
Blaine Gabbert
Brock Lobstah
Geno Smith

bleh
I'm starting to warm the bus up for

https://heavy.com/sports/2020/03/eagles ... g-in-2020/

:wave2:

:D
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:14 pm Mullens re-signed with San Fran
That's who I was thinking of.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Since Indianapolis sign Philip Rivers, maybe Jacoby Brissett?
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Wounded Bear
MVP

Also, Foles look good in both Kansas City and Philadelphia. The two things in common with those two places is that there a similar system to Chicago’s.
Neil deGrasse Tyson
dplank
Hall of Famer

Matt Moore?
wab
Mod

Nick Foles is garbage.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I don’t see how we afford him anyways, or Dalton. Where else do we get money from?
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:18 pm I don’t see how we afford him anyways, or Dalton. Where else do we get money from?
That's why I say expect Tyler Bray and a rookie. We got no money for much of anything else and Bray at least knows the offense. Think about it. According to OTC we had about 17 mill in cap space NOT counting the Quinn or Graham signings. And we still need to sign a starting safety, back up safeties and linebackers; starting guard, and offensive line backups, as well as our rookie pool. Where do we have the money for a big splash at QB?
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Khalil Tate, your table is ready.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Wounded Bear wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:43 pm Since Indianapolis sign Philip Rivers, maybe Jacoby Brissett?
I like the idea. Not sure what the difference would be vs. others as think Indy has enough cap room to afford for one year.

From Sportrac: In 2020, Brissett will earn a base salary of $6,000,000, a roster bonus of $8,875,000 and a incentive bonus of $1,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $21,375,000 and a dead cap value of $12,500,000
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

The Broncos are getting Driskel so Flacco will be available
xyt in the discord chats
G08
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:14 pm The Broncos are getting Driskel so Flacco will be available
@Drone7 YOUR GUY!!!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

wab wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:00 pm Nick Foles is garbage.
This times a million.

He got hot for a handful of games and lucky. It's happened before in the NFL.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

HurricaneBear wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:56 am Trubisky, Tyler Bray & a day 3 draft pick/UFA post draft is what I think they will do
Sorry, I missed this post when I went through the first time. I think you're absolutely correct sir.
IE
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:45 pm
HurricaneBear wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:56 am Trubisky, Tyler Bray & a day 3 draft pick/UFA post draft is what I think they will do
Sorry, I missed this post when I went through the first time. I think you're absolutely correct sir.
So there are multiple possibly horrible scenarios for this fall. One is that the season will be cancelled. The other is this QB depth chart. Although I am kind of intrigued by Bray. Not sure 10 could beat him in a real competition.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Wounded Bear
MVP

Although I do not think Trubisky is a starting caliber QB in the NFL, he is definitely a shit ton better QB than Tyler Bray.
Neil deGrasse Tyson
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

The QB market has quickly evaporated, and I honestly didn't even have that high of expectations going into it!

Dalton and Newton are the two best options, but I honestly don't know if I really like giving up draft capital for either, even a late pick.

This is going to sound crazy, and I never considered this guy until today, but I think the best FA left for the Bears... is Blake Bortles.

Yes. Really. I know I was shocked at first too.

He'll come fairly cheap. He I think could put some pressure on Mitch even though I think Mitch would be the presumptive starter. He never was really in great situations in Jax, but obviously has every physical tool you can ask for. And he just did a year "internship" under one of the great offensive minds in the NFL where he could just watch and learn and not play and fail. Maybe he's picked up a thing or two that will aid him in his next NFL endeavor.

I'd also want to draft a guy, ideally with one of the first 3 picks. And sign PJ Walker from the XFL to a small deal as a training camp body. Might as well bring back Bray too. It will be kicker competition all over again.

Alright now someone talk sense into me.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I don't think there is going to be serious competition brought in.

They have been linked to almost every QB, but brought in none. Yet they spent some serious money on TE and DE/OLB. I just don't see it in the cards with some of the extensions needing to be done and holes yet to fill to bring in a high dollar QB.

The only one that really makes sense long term is if they could pull a Houdini for Carr, as his salary is still reasonable but they would need to trade Trubisky then to have enough money to sign rookies and plug holes leaving no flexibility.

Most likely it's going to be a failed starter, average backup type for 5-7 million at best, and/or a draft pick.

Cam = doesn't seem like a fit, oft injured, just not a good QB
Foles - cost prohibitive, oft injured, debatable quality
Winston - hard no due to past playing and off the field

After that your down to the Bortles, Driskels, Gabbert types. Which shouldn't cost a lot but there is a reason for that.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:34 am I don't think there is going to be serious competition brought in.

They have been linked to almost every QB, but brought in none. Yet they spent some serious money on TE and DE/OLB. I just don't see it in the cards with some of the extensions needing to be done and holes yet to fill to bring in a high dollar QB.

The only one that really makes sense long term is if they could pull a Houdini for Carr, as his salary is still reasonable but they would need to trade Trubisky then to have enough money to sign rookies and plug holes leaving no flexibility.

Most likely it's going to be a failed starter, average backup type for 5-7 million at best, and/or a draft pick.

Cam = doesn't seem like a fit, oft injured, just not a good QB
Foles - cost prohibitive, oft injured, debatable quality
Winston - hard no due to past playing and off the field

After that your down to the Bortles, Driskels, Gabbert types. Which shouldn't cost a lot but there is a reason for that.
Driskel is going to Den, fyi. He was my "just sign a relatively cheap young guy with some tools and a hint of upside". With him gone, I'm looking around and damn it's just a bleak FA market.
Wounded Bear
MVP

The Cooler King wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:21 am
And sign PJ Walker from the XFL to a small deal as a training camp body.
PJ Walker signed with the Seahawks.
Neil deGrasse Tyson
MoFugger
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:55 pm
G08 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:14 pm Mullens re-signed with San Fran
That's who I was thinking of.
I was just about to tell you that was who you were thinking of before I scrolled down a little bit further.
he was pretty raw but I really did like watching the kid play.
Forebears
Practice Squad

Grizzled wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:20 pm
UOK wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:29 pm
Bad that the Bears have messed up their QB situation so badly that this occurs.
Doesn’t make sense on Chicago’s part to sign Teddy to a 20 mil contract and tell him the starting job isn’t necessarily his. For 20 mil/yr he’s the starter, WTF Pace...
Drone7
Player of the Month

The Cooler King wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:21 am The QB market has quickly evaporated, and I honestly didn't even have that high of expectations going into it!

Dalton and Newton are the two best options, but I honestly don't know if I really like giving up draft capital for either, even a late pick.

This is going to sound crazy, and I never considered this guy until today, but I think the best FA left for the Bears... is Blake Bortles.

Yes. Really. I know I was shocked at first too.

He'll come fairly cheap. He I think could put some pressure on Mitch even though I think Mitch would be the presumptive starter. He never was really in great situations in Jax, but obviously has every physical tool you can ask for. And he just did a year "internship" under one of the great offensive minds in the NFL where he could just watch and learn and not play and fail. Maybe he's picked up a thing or two that will aid him in his next NFL endeavor.

I'd also want to draft a guy, ideally with one of the first 3 picks. And sign PJ Walker from the XFL to a small deal as a training camp body. Might as well bring back Bray too. It will be kicker competition all over again.

Alright now someone talk sense into me.
Bortles is inaccurate with stick throws and has a long delivery so he is prone to strip sacks. Lots of playing experience, but picking him up would signal that Pace isn't serious about providing true competition or any kind of long term fix. Trubisky/Bortles wouldn't provide them with a credible competitive chance against most good teams especially on the road.
Z Bear
MVP

Look, you do not draft a QB at #2 overall and then dump him before the rookie contract runs out. There was never going to be a competition for the starting QB this year. Don't believe the lies the media is telling to sell advertising, the Bears were never going to bring in a starting caliber QB. If Trubisky does not turn the corner this year the 2021 draft first round pick will be his replacement. Trevor Laurence will be going #1 overall next year, so start figuring out which of the other QBs you like.

My guy.. Dustin Crum of Kent State. 69% completion percentage, 20 TDs to 2 Ints behind a pretty shitty offensive line. Watch the bowl game against Utah State, Crum outplayed Jordan Love by a mile. He threw dimes the whole game under duress, plus ran for over 100 yards.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Z Bear wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:06 am Look, you do not draft a QB at #2 overall and then dump him before the rookie contract runs out. There was never going to be a competition for the starting QB this year. Don't believe the lies the media is telling to sell advertising, the Bears were never going to bring in a starting caliber QB. If Trubisky does not turn the corner this year the 2021 draft first round pick will be his replacement. Trevor Laurence will be going #1 overall next year, so start figuring out which of the other QBs you like.

My guy.. Dustin Crum of Kent State. 69% completion percentage, 20 TDs to 2 Ints behind a pretty shitty offensive line. Watch the bowl game against Utah State, Crum outplayed Jordan Love by a mile. He threw dimes the whole game under duress, plus ran for over 100 yards.
I'm ok with your take PROVIDED ownership replaces the GM with someone that understands how to evaluate offense.