Bears acquiring Foles for a 4th

The latest Bears news and talk

Moderators: wab, RING4CHI, Pagan

User avatar
dplank
Assistant Coach
Posts: 669
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:19 am

Re: Bears acquiring Foles for a 4th

Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:53 pm

Yogi da Bear wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:35 pm
Also, if in Florida, the property tax in Florida is a lot less for in state residents.

Now this I can say isn't true. You can homestead here, but that just drops 50K off the state appraised valuation, which they use to determine your property tax. I'm a resident, and I pay...literally, no exaggeration...more than 5x what I paid in Maryland (which is a heavy tax state).

I know this is way off subject at this point...but....the power, water, and insurance here are brutally expensive as well. My home insurance is closer to 7x what it was in Maryland. On the whole, I pay more state taxes here in Florida then I did in Maryland, by a hair. And I just moved here a year and a half ago, so it's not dated information.
Chuck Pagano's defensive rankings in 5 years with Indy: 26th, 20th, 11th, 26th, 30th, and 30th.
User avatar
Yogi da Bear
Journeyman
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:43 pm

Re: Bears acquiring Foles for a 4th

Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:04 pm

My brother has a home and a condo in Orlando for investment purposes, and he tells me that he could have saved about half his property taxes if he'd been an instate resident. The biggest reason I guess is that residents' assessed value for property taxes is limited to 3% a year, whereas nonresidents aren't limited at all. So I guess it wouldn't matter if your property isn't appreciating. ;)
Wounded Bear
Assistant Coach
Posts: 662
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:13 pm

Re: Bears acquiring Foles for a 4th

Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:33 pm

Well it's everything we thought about Mitch
  • He can't process what's going on when the ball is snapped
  • He locks onto his first read
  • He can't throw to his left
  • He doesn't have a touch on his deep ball
And Foles:
  • Has great touch on his deep ball
  • Is throwing to his 3rd read in his progression
  • Stands in the pocket and takes the hit
And I wonder how Mitch could possible start ahead of this guy in an Andy Reid Offense.
User avatar
southdakbearfan
Head Coach
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2571
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: Bears acquiring Foles for a 4th

Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:49 pm

Foles is a great backup and he may very well end up starting, there are definitely things that he can do right now that Mitch certainly wasn't doing well last year. But there is a lot Mitch can do that Foles cannot as well.

Anyone thinking he is going to light it up for a full season simply hasn't watched him play or look at his stats. He has thrown for over 13 touchdowns exactly 1 time in 8 seasons, 1.

He has averaged 7 starts a season, either due to injury or he was beaten out for the starter position. He was unseated by a 5th round rookie who is pretty average.

His Y/G average is actually less than Mitch.

Their TD and Int percents are very close.

He has broken his collarbone twice so how much RPO will the offense have in it?

He has about zero potential to develop into anything other than what he is, a very good backup.
Drone7
Player of the Month
Posts: 383
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:44 pm

Re: Bears acquiring Foles for a 4th

Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:22 pm

So I guess you expect us to believe Trubisky could have replicated Foles' playoff wins over ATL and his bombings of a good Vikings' D and the Pats in the SB?
User avatar
southdakbearfan
Head Coach
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2571
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: Bears acquiring Foles for a 4th

Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:28 pm

Drone7 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:22 pm
So I guess you expect us to believe Trubisky could have replicated Foles' playoff wins over ATL and his bombings of a good Vikings' D and the Pats in the SB?
Nope, I expect people to realize foles got on a few game hot streak and that over the course of his entire career he has never sustained success. More than one "backup" level qb has won a superbowl.

There's a reason he is 8 seasons deep in his career and averages about 1,400 yds per season.
Drone7
Player of the Month
Posts: 383
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:44 pm

Re: Bears acquiring Foles for a 4th

Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:32 pm

Good...I was wondering if you were crazy.
User avatar
southdakbearfan
Head Coach
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2571
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: Bears acquiring Foles for a 4th

Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:35 pm

Drone7 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:32 pm
Good...I was wondering if you were crazy.
I expect nothing less from you.
User avatar
AZ_Bearfan
Assistant Coach
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 623
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:49 pm

Re: Bears acquiring Foles for a 4th

Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:29 pm



A couple throws to Demetrius Harris in this.
Image
EricTighe
Assistant Coach
Posts: 579
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:13 pm

Re: Bears acquiring Foles for a 4th

Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:37 am

This sucks so bad right now.
User avatar
dplank
Assistant Coach
Posts: 669
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:19 am

Re: Bears acquiring Foles for a 4th

Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:15 am

I still want to draft Jalen Hurts.
Chuck Pagano's defensive rankings in 5 years with Indy: 26th, 20th, 11th, 26th, 30th, and 30th.
User avatar
IE
Hall of Famer
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 6327
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:46 am

Re: Bears acquiring Foles for a 4th

Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:38 am

dplank wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:15 am
I still want to draft Jalen Hurts.
Absolutely
Run the Damn Ball
RichH55
Player of the Month
Posts: 269
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:23 pm

Re: Bears acquiring Foles for a 4th

Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:00 pm

Drone was still pimping Joe Flacco like 3 years after that was a even decent take - so Foles should seem like a Norse God
User avatar
Richie
MVP
Posts: 1572
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:37 pm

Re: Bears acquiring Foles for a 4th

Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:01 am

southdakbearfan wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:49 pm
Foles is a great backup and he may very well end up starting, there are definitely things that he can do right now that Mitch certainly wasn't doing well last year. But there is a lot Mitch can do that Foles cannot as well.

Anyone thinking he is going to light it up for a full season simply hasn't watched him play or look at his stats. He has thrown for over 13 touchdowns exactly 1 time in 8 seasons, 1.

He has averaged 7 starts a season, either due to injury or he was beaten out for the starter position. He was unseated by a 5th round rookie who is pretty average.

His Y/G average is actually less than Mitch.

Their TD and Int percents are very close.

He has broken his collarbone twice so how much RPO will the offense have in it?

He has about zero potential to develop into anything other than what he is, a very good backup.
Foles 2013 was probably one of the greatest QB seasons of this century. So, he can absolutely play at a high level for a full season.

Outside of running - I don't know what Mitch can do that Foles can't. Throwing the ball? Anything Mitch can do Nick can do better.
His Y/G average is actually less than Mitch.

Their TD and Int percents are very close.
Y/G isn't a very good statistic. If you throw the ball more that's a huge advantage in Y/G. Foles Y/A is 7.0 to Mitch's 6.7.

Foles: 4.2/2.1

Trub: 3.8/2.3

It's "close" but it's not close enough to disregard either.



Foles has had two poor seasons and they came in absolute death traps with a Jacksonville team that had totally quit. Then, Jeff Fisher's Rams.

The rest of his body of work is very good.


PHI/KC numbers:

22-11 Record 94 Rating 63% CMP 61 TD's (5.0%) 23 INT's (1.8%) 7.3 Y/A 11.6 Y/C


Foles could not turn around two poor offense's on his own. However, when the team around Foles has been at least decent? He plays well.
Year 3 Starting (updated yearly)

Brees (11-4): 65.5% (7th) 7.9 Y/A (7th) 27 TD (7th) 6.8 TD% (4th) 7 INT 1.8 INT% (3rd) 104 Rating (3rd)

Trubisky (8-7): 63.2% (18th) 6.1 Y/A (32nd) 17 TD (27th) 3.3 TD% (30th) 10 INT 1.9 INT% (15th) 83 Rating (28th)
User avatar
dplank
Assistant Coach
Posts: 669
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:19 am

Re: Bears acquiring Foles for a 4th

Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:57 am

I think I've settled on this thought as my overriding opinion on Nick Foles to the Bears...

Foles is a 'system quarterback'. He can perform really well in a system that suits him but will be a big disappointment in a system that doesn't. Fortunately, his system is Nagy's system, so there's reason for optimism that we'll see the good Foles here.
Chuck Pagano's defensive rankings in 5 years with Indy: 26th, 20th, 11th, 26th, 30th, and 30th.
User avatar
Boris13c
Hall of Famer
Contact:
Location: The Bear Nebula
Posts: 14882
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Bears acquiring Foles for a 4th

Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:34 am

dplank wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:57 am
I think I've settled on this thought as my overriding opinion on Nick Foles to the Bears...

Foles is a 'system quarterback'. He can perform really well in a system that suits him but will be a big disappointment in a system that doesn't. Fortunately, his system is Nagy's system, so there's reason for optimism that we'll see the good Foles here.
not only Nagy's system, but with the 2 guys who worked with him when he had his most success - Bill Lazor, Foles' QBs coach in 2013 season; and John DeFilippo, Foles' QBs coach in 2017 ... both of those seasons were some of Foles best days

so it would appear the situation is ideal for Foles to succeed and there is ample reason for optimism
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin

Image
BLOG : Emissions from the Bears Nebula
RichH55
Player of the Month
Posts: 269
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:23 pm

Re: Bears acquiring Foles for a 4th

Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:42 am

Boris13c wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:34 am
dplank wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:57 am
I think I've settled on this thought as my overriding opinion on Nick Foles to the Bears...

Foles is a 'system quarterback'. He can perform really well in a system that suits him but will be a big disappointment in a system that doesn't. Fortunately, his system is Nagy's system, so there's reason for optimism that we'll see the good Foles here.
not only Nagy's system, but with the 2 guys who worked with him when he had his most success - Bill Lazor, Foles' QBs coach in 2013 season; and John DeFilippo, Foles' QBs coach in 2017 ... both of those seasons were some of Foles best days

so it would appear the situation is ideal for Foles to succeed and there is ample reason for optimism

These are pretty fair posts on the upside potential
User avatar
AZ_Bearfan
Assistant Coach
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 623
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:49 pm

Re: Bears acquiring Foles for a 4th

Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:45 am

With the hires to the offensive staff, I'm thinking they were going for Foles all along.
Image
User avatar
IE
Hall of Famer
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 6327
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:46 am

Re: Bears acquiring Foles for a 4th

Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:53 pm

Yep - the fit is really good, and given Fole's history of shining when the spotlight gets hottest... that is encouraging.

And great point, Az.
Run the Damn Ball
User avatar
Mikefive
Head Coach
Location: Valparaiso, IN, USA
Posts: 3456
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:33 pm

Re: Bears acquiring Foles for a 4th

Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:57 am

Shameless Nick Foles plug video (made by Philly fans from May 2018).
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
BR0D1E86
MVP
Posts: 1786
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:50 am

Re: Bears acquiring Foles for a 4th

Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:17 am

Final contract details are in....

User avatar
southdakbearfan
Head Coach
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2571
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: Bears acquiring Foles for a 4th

Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:43 am

So does that mean his true cap hit is about 8 million per year before any incentives?
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 15582
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Bears acquiring Foles for a 4th

Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:11 pm

dplank wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:57 am
I think I've settled on this thought as my overriding opinion on Nick Foles to the Bears...

Foles is a 'system quarterback'. He can perform really well in a system that suits him but will be a big disappointment in a system that doesn't. Fortunately, his system is Nagy's system, so there's reason for optimism that we'll see the good Foles here.
Not only that... This dude is made to "come in in relief" of the starter. He's the perfect hedge at QB. Perfect.

First 41 starts in NFL (updated weekly):

Drew Brees: 61.2% | 8261 yards | 52 TDs | 37 INTs | 6.60 YPA | 82.2 rating

Mitch Trubisky: 63.4% | 8554 yards | 48 TDs | 29 INTs | 6.7 YPA | 85.8 rating
User avatar
Yogi da Bear
Journeyman
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:43 pm

Re: Bears acquiring Foles for a 4th

Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:48 pm

BR0D1E86 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:17 am
Final contract details are in....

For all those claiming that Foles is the starter because the Bears are paying him starter money, if I'm reading this right, this sounds like a backup contract. 24 mill guaranteed over three years with 8 mill per plus incentives? That's backup money. High backup, but backup. Sounds like he can void and collect the whole guarantee if he meets certain incentives (probably becomes the starter).

Of course, this isn't what Sportstrac has at all. They have him at 15.6, 20.6, and 20.7. OTC has the same. I wonder who's right?
RichH55
Player of the Month
Posts: 269
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:23 pm

Re: Bears acquiring Foles for a 4th

Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:10 pm

I think the key there is the $24 over 3 years (If I read it right)
User avatar
southdakbearfan
Head Coach
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2571
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: Bears acquiring Foles for a 4th

Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:25 pm

Sounds like they just got the contract details so the original 15 million is incorrect. I think they were going off his jags original deal or incomplete info.

8 per plus incentives is the report. OTC nor SpotRac have it updated yet.
The Cooler King
Pro Bowler
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:07 pm

Re: Bears acquiring Foles for a 4th

Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:18 pm

Between the incentives and the player option this one might take a little time to sort through the cap implications of.
Fka "BillGeorge61" @CBFans.net
User avatar
southdakbearfan
Head Coach
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2571
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: Bears acquiring Foles for a 4th

Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:34 pm

Time will tell, but a couple articles made it sound like the incentives are guaranteed escalators for the following seasons salary. I.e. he does well his salary could jump to 14 million next season. There is also the foles out option so he could choose to hit the market. I haven’t heard if he exercises his out option what happens to the guaranteed salary, I would assume as a condition of the out clause it is nullified or there is a minimal payment.

Anyway it would appear they have 8 mill and change in cap space for 20 depending on the value of the Ifedi deal from what I read.
User avatar
Yogi da Bear
Journeyman
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:43 pm

Re: Bears acquiring Foles for a 4th

Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:57 pm

If Rappoport is correct over OTC and Sportstrac, that's actually a great deal for the Bears. My guess is that the contract is voidable based on Foles based on Foles becoming the starter, like maybe more than half the games starting including the end of season games. Something like that. That 24 mill guarantee would accelerate making the 2020 money really good starter money (24 mill). If he doesn't start enough to qualify for voiding the deal but he does start some, those incentives increase his next year's salary, making for a very good backup QB contract.

It's a win/win contract for everybody involved. It also gives us an extra 7.5 mill in cap space this year, bringing us to 9 mill from 1.5. I see a couple of other signings in the future.
User avatar
Yogi da Bear
Journeyman
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:43 pm

Re: Bears acquiring Foles for a 4th

Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:01 pm

southdakbearfan wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:34 pm
Time will tell, but a couple articles made it sound like the incentives are guaranteed escalators for the following seasons salary. I.e. he does well his salary could jump to 14 million next season. There is also the foles out option so he could choose to hit the market. I haven’t heard if he exercises his out option what happens to the guaranteed salary, I would assume as a condition of the out clause it is nullified or there is a minimal payment.

Anyway it would appear they have 8 mill and change in cap space for 20 depending on the value of the Ifedi deal from what I read.
No that's guaranteed money. There's no way that Foles would agree to have it nullified. My guess is that his ability to void basically rests on his ability to win the starting job. At voiding, the entire 24 million would become due, making his 2020 salary 24 million. Same if he wins the job next year. That's starting QB pay. If he doesn't reach the incentive to void, he still carries over incentives made (probably starts as a backup).

Anybody who looks at this contract and thinks we're trading Trubisky or that they want Foles to win the starting job is fooling themselves. It's clear from Foles' contract that they're giving Mitch an in to win the job.

Return to “Halas Hall”