Matt Nagy in General and His Playcalling

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

HurricaneBear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:09 am
G08 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:21 pm Some nuggets I found while listening to our scouts evaluate our draft picks... we are going to be a heavy inside/outside zone running scheme in 2020. I also expect us to operate a lot of 12 personnel (1 RB, 2 TE, 2 WRs). If we can establish the run early, it will be amazing the amount of damage we can inflict with no only play action but giving run looks and passing out of them and hitting Kmet up the seam against an overmatched LB.

Look at this gem:

That's fucking beautiful. Pound the rock, keep the defense guessing and dice them up in the pass game when they are keying run.
Well....I love this and really hope it's our path this season, it's what we all wanted last season. And if we go this route, I'd increase Mitch's chances of a career turnaround significantly - this is the type of offense he should be able to run.

Interesting to look at our RB situation in this context also. I've been arguing that Cohen needs more carries out of the backfield, and less plays lined up as a WR. Cohen is NOT a WR, he is NOT a Gabriel replacement - he's too small and more quick than fast. But if we go this route, he'll get a lot of carries as change of pace behind Monty. Outside zone is his best running play, its where a lot of his big plays came from in the past. And the PA works so well with him because he's such a threat coming out of the backfield, especially slipping behind pass rushers for flip screens where he gets in to open space.
Couldn't agree more, especially about Cohen! Hopefully this plan will work out and they can stick with the offense they want to run.
wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:21 pm Some nuggets I found while listening to our scouts evaluate our draft picks... we are going to be a heavy inside/outside zone running scheme in 2020. I also expect us to operate a lot of 12 personnel (1 RB, 2 TE, 2 WRs). If we can establish the run early, it will be amazing the amount of damage we can inflict with no only play action but giving run looks and passing out of them and hitting Kmet up the seam against an overmatched LB.

Look at this gem:
Specifically, if you look in the NFC North, the Packers allowed a passer rating of 114.3 and 4.5 yards per carry against ’12’ according to Sharp Football. The Vikings allowed a passer rating of 102.8 and the Lions 101.9. In three wide, one tight end sets, the Packers allowed a passer rating of 77.9, the Vikings, 89.7 and the Lions 96.5.
That's fucking beautiful. Pound the rock, keep the defense guessing and dice them up in the pass game when they are keying run.
This is what the Bears set out to do I think, but having no TE's just sank everything.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:17 am

Look at this gem:

This is what the Bears set out to do I think, but having no TE's just sank everything.
It's what they should have been doing... you have an elite athlete at the QB position, utilize that to your strengths from time to time and don't solely try to force him to be a pocket QB. Develop that, of course, but use those talents to our advantage. Think San Fran, Tennesee, etc.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS