Bears 2020 RB Corps

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

spudbear
MVP

Going into the draft the Bears have three RB on the roster: Montgomery, Cohen, Nall. Pace decided not to dip in to the FA waters (for now) and get another RB as backup.

Mongomery: Will be the lead back and should get 20-25 carries per game if the doofus play caller remembers the running game. I'm guardedly optimistic the OL run blocking will improve from last year and give Monty more openings.

Cohen: He needs to take over the Gabriel role on the team and have <5 opportunities lined up behind the QB. He's still a threat and can be used for misdirection, but his strength is not between the tackles.

Nall: He had the opportunity for many more carries than what he actually got at the end of last season. I'm guessing the coaches do not have much confidence in him. He's a football player and may not have breakaway speed but he can be a complement to Monty.

Pace needs to add another back. His experiment with Davis, who was purportedly the best FA RB available last year, failed and was dropped from the team. I doubt he uses one of his two second round picks at RB after picking Monty with his first pick last year.

A fifth round or lower pick probably does not make the team. I would not be surprised if they drop Nall at the last cut. I can see Pace finding one (or two?) older RB willing to play for near league minimum. He seems to be putting all of his eggs in the Monty basket.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
wab
Mod

He's drafted a back every year except for 2018 (he brought in Nall as a UDFA that year). I fully expect him to bring in another back.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

IMO, that RB corp does not strike fear in anyone especially if the OL doesn't improve. You need a speedster with a little size, not a little dude with a little above avg speed.
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

I doubt anyone outside of Da Bears fan base even know who they are. And even some Bears boosters probably can't name any, LOL?
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

The reason they don't strike any fear is because any time they just started going off, Nagy would switch to something else. But I also fully expect him to add a RB in the draft. Here's the one I'm hoping for:

He could also take over Tariq's role when Cohen hits free agency next year. He's bigger and faster and stronger, maybe not as shifty, though he can certainly catch as well.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

It all comes down to the blocking, it always does. RBs that can be successful with sporadic blocking are rare. The linemen didn't always seem to know who to block, often couldn't get to their assigned defender even when they did know and couldn't get much push even when they did. They were hopeless at executing combo-blocks and getting to the second level. Montgomery was terrific out of the I formation because Holtz picked up a LB. Without him there was almost always that extra defender filling the hole and stuffing the play.

The running game has sucked both years under Nagy. Football Outsiders had the o-line ranked 28th and 29th for run blocking. The biggest reason for hoping for improvement isn't the RBs or the o-line personnel since 4 of the starters are back, it's the change in coaches. Helfrich and Hiestand were reportedly in charge of the running game and they've been jettisoned.

My concern is the notion that Nagy apparently delegated that side of the offense to them so he could focus on the passing game. One doesn't work without the other. The whole offense was out-of-sync all season long as a result; it wasn't all down to the quarterback.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Remember though, that the undisputed leader of our offensive line only played half the season two years ago, and last year, he only made it through four games. He was replaced by an UDFA defensive lineman who had only played OL for two years, and that time was spent at OT.

I put last year's OL performance entirely on Pace. Long hadn't played more than nine games in four years, and this is how he addressed the position. Are you fucking kidding me?! He has to make it right this draft.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Kylo Bearen wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:54 pm I doubt anyone outside of Da Bears fan base even know who they are. And even some Bears boosters probably can't name any, LOL?
You'd be incorrect about that.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:24 pm Remember though, that the undisputed leader of our offensive line only played half the season two years ago, and last year, he only made it through four games. He was replaced by an UDFA defensive lineman who had only played OL for two years, and that time was spent at OT.

I put last year's OL performance entirely on Pace. Long hadn't played more than nine games in four years, and this is how he addressed the position. Are you fucking kidding me?! He has to make it right this draft.
They were kind of locked into Long's contract, which would have hamstrung any ability to bring in another top guard. Long also was playing well before Dion worthless freaking Sims rolled up on him 2 years ago too. I still freaking hate that guy.

Long also did the team a solid and redid his deal last offseason so it wouldn't kill the cap if he was gone in 20 but he still got the guaranteed money he was going to get anyway. I think Pace, Nagy and Long knew it was a long shot that he would return to form, but I think the hope was he wouldn't fall off a cliff which he did. Massie is serviceable but not good enough to make up for a gaping hole next to him, which we had most the season.

Between Ifedi, leaving Whitehair and Daniels alone, and a draft pick I feel quite a bit better about the O-line this season.

Between Long sucking and the switch between Daniels/Whitehair and the gaping void at TE our tackles were really on a freaking island all alone all year. Hell if Daniels/Whitehair were not switched it may have made the difference between being in and out of the playoffs, and I will admit I thought the change made sense at the time. But I also think it was something that should have been figured out in the damn preseason by playing the starters.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I would really like to see Daniels step up and take over center. He's a much more natural center. He just needs to come out of his shell. Whitehair makes for a far better guard. I think with Whitehair at guard, we might be able to limit Leno's exposure. Leno's best season came in 2016 when he had 3 false starts, 1 hold, and only 4.5 sacks in 16 starts. You know who was starting next to him? Josh Sitton. That had to have helped.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:53 pm I would really like to see Daniels step up and take over center. He's a much more natural center. He just needs to come out of his shell. Whitehair makes for a far better guard. I think with Whitehair at guard, we might be able to limit Leno's exposure. Leno's best season came in 2016 when he had 3 false starts, 1 hold, and only 4.5 sacks in 16 starts. You know who was starting next to him? Josh Sitton. That had to have helped.
I used to think the same, but when they were switched back to Whitehair at C and Daniels at G, they both graded out extremely high, like top 5 for both of them. Looking at 2018 and then 2019 after the switch back I think it's more likely they both stay put and probably better overall, unless they draft a C ready to play and Whitehair goes to RG.
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

Cordarrell Patterson presents:[video][/video]
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Grizzyly One, is that aimed at us or Matt Nagy?
spudbear
MVP

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:24 am Grizzyly One, is that aimed at us or Matt Nagy?
Both.

Patterson is somewhat of an enigma. I can understand not giving him much of a role in the offense the first part of the season as he was learning a new system and supposedly he could do a more gooder job at learning. With Davis jettisoned you'd think he would have gotten more opportunities but I got the impression Nagy didn't trust him lining up on more than a handful of plays. It's like he had him slotted on ST's and that was that.

I'll be curious to see how he's utilized in TC (YES there will be TC!) and if he gets more snaps lined up behind the QB. The Bears need more gamebreakers and he has the talent if he knows where to line up. He's due to make $5M this year with only $1M dead cap if released. At 29 he should be at or near his peak athletically. We'll see if the Bears can take advantage of that.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
dplank
Hall of Famer

I think we're set at RB personally, and we'll round out the RB corps with a late draft pick like we did last year.

Everyone here seems to agree that we need to commit to the run and that Monty needs to get volume carries in order to be the guy we all seem to think he can be - a very solid, tough, grind it out NFL RB - a Carlos Hyde or Frank Gore type guy. Nagy's offense will pass more than it runs even if he commits to the run, that's just today's NFL and we have a pass first coach. Here's the math:

On average you get about 70 snaps a game on offense. Let's say Nagy goes 60/40 pass/run, that means 28 rushing attempts per game.

Monty gets 18-20 of them if he's to be "the guy". Cohen gets the other 8-10 as the primary 3DRB and shotgun guy. Maybe Patterson steals a couple here and there. Patterson is our insurance from a Cohen injury. Cohen still needs to get carries from the backfield, many of his big plays came from handoffs his first two years! He creates matchup problems out of the backfield that he does NOT create when lined up outside.

We're a little exposed if Monty goes down, but I really do like Nall in a pinch to take those carries. I wouldn't move Cohen from his role as 3DRB because we split him out so often in the pass game and he can't run inside well. Regardless, I think we'll draft a RB to compete with Nall as Cohen's backup. Whoever wins won't get many carries barring injury.
wab
Mod

Kylo Bearen wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:54 pm I doubt anyone outside of Da Bears fan base even know who they are. And even some Bears boosters probably can't name any, LOL?
not the best take...
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I’m thinking udfa route on rb, they drafted whyte last year and he got poached off the practice squad.

With Monty, Cohen, Patterson and Nall I just don’t see a huge need plus it’s a deep wr draft so they could possibly get more bang for a draft pick there, move Patterson to rb/kr/Pr/spot duty on offense role and let Cohen just be on offense. Patterson is the more consistent returner and doesn’t lose yardage. They just need to tell him not to come out of the end zone when it’s 8 yds deep.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:56 am I’m thinking udfa route on rb, they drafted whyte last year and he got poached off the practice squad.

With Monty, Cohen, Patterson and Nall I just don’t see a huge need plus it’s a deep wr draft so they could possibly get more bang for a draft pick there, move Patterson to rb/kr/Pr/spot duty on offense role and let Cohen just be on offense. Patterson is the more consistent returner and doesn’t lose yardage. They just need to tell him not to come out of the end zone when it’s 8 yds deep.
Thinking ahead, Cohen and Patterson will both be FA in 2021. Having a guy waiting in the wings would be very wise. Its too bad Whyte was poached, but I think they go a similar route this year by drafting a development guy late. But keeping him rostered instead of the PS would ensure he's not poached. Nall is then bumped back to the PS role.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

That's why Antonio Gibson would be such a great draft pick. He could replace both of them. He has the speed and experience returning kickoffs, and he has similar shiftiness with more power than Tariq yet also with hands.
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:24 am Grizzyly One, is that aimed at us or Matt Nagy?
Really both. Patterson was not mentioned by us. So that's part one.

Nagy is not especially high on my list right now. Not enough straight up, smash mouth football. Patterson should be a part of that.

But 'Razzel Dazzel' Nagy only used Patterson in his 'genuis' style of "I'll show 'em all how brilliant I am." Tricky plays and such.

Please, let's see some real smash-mouth football featuring Monty with Patterson sprinkled in. No more Cohen up the middle.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I am going out on a limb to say I believe the running game will look similar to 2018 this season with the guard position improved on the right side and not mixing around our center and left guard.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

The Grizzly One wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:23 pm

Nagy is not especially high on my list right now. Not enough straight up, smash mouth football. Patterson should be a part of that.

But 'Razzel Dazzel' Nagy only used Patterson in his 'genuis' style of "I'll show 'em all how brilliant I am." Tricky plays and such.

Please, let's see some real smash-mouth football featuring Monty with Patterson sprinkled in. No more Cohen up the middle.
Ah I still vividly remember lining up in the deep I week one with Patterson for a smash mouth 3rd and short play. Of course when your center just totally blows a blockk and some 330 point NT is sitting there waiting for you, not much you can do.

Good times.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I think that Nagy loves the zone blocking scheme so much because it hides the pass option. I think that's why he went away from the Power I even though it was successful. I think that's a mistake.

If your lineman are consistently moving laterally, if they all of a sudden start firing out in a power scheme, opposing defensive lines are taken by surprise and some real big holes can open up.

Let me clarify, I'm not for giving up a zone scheme for a power scheme, but I believe in versatility, particularly in today's NFL. Your OL should be able to do both, whatever it takes to take advantage of defenses. That should appeal to Nagy's sense of "trickeration." lol
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

The Cooler King wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:55 pm
The Grizzly One wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:23 pm

Ah I still vividly remember lining up in the deep I week one with Patterson for a smash mouth 3rd and short play. Of course when your center just totally blows a blockk and some 330 point NT is sitting there waiting for you, not much you can do.

Good times.
Yep, that's what Nagy thought I'm sure. Tried it once, didn't work. Give up on the idea completely.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

The Grizzly One wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:36 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:55 pm

Good times.
Yep, that's what Nagy thought I'm sure. Tried it once, didn't work. Give up on the idea completely.
More like, tried a power runner, let's put the midget in next time.
Hero
Player of the Month

Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:13 pm The reason they don't strike any fear is because any time they just started going off, Nagy would switch to something else. But I also fully expect him to add a RB in the draft. Here's the one I'm hoping for:

He could also take over Tariq's role when Cohen hits free agency next year. He's bigger and faster and stronger, maybe not as shifty, though he can certainly catch as well.
Damn Yogi! After you posted about this kid he was on the top of my wishlist. Gone to Washington. Damn damn damn!
IE
Hall of Famer

Yeah... Nagy's commitment to the run is, let's just say, suspect. I see that as more of a problem than the personnel.

32 is a perfectly fine starter/load carrier and deserves respect for his yards after contact. He's an effort guy. He's not a big play hitter but over the course of a game he'll make some tough 15 yard runs to keep his average up. And he's pretty good around the goal line, where his tough yards skills are super-valuable.

But I'm not comfortable with the RB depth chart because after that there's just way too much uncertainty.

Cohen is a gadget/WR and not a RB. He just isn't. His carries need to go down to 2-3 per game. He COULD fill a lot of Gabriel's role while the young guys find their place. Just please for the love of god stop those completely transparent screens with Cohen.

Patterson IS an enigma. They can't count on using him as RB. He's a ST God. And beyond that he's another gadget player. Maybe one that should be used a lot more. But that get's tough juggling touches for him, and he's more limited than Cohen because he can't play WR. I really like him on the team. But he's expensive as a ST specialist, and offensive distraction (we want to use him, but how?).

I'd like to see Nall and he had that one PS run. But I don't see how we could be comfortable going into "win now" with him as the only other actual RB on the squad? I'm not.

I like the Kmet pick, and think he'd be good. But I was kinda praying there Taylor would fall 2 more spots. Competitive teams have a a stable of RBs and the Bears right now have somewhat of a Potemkin village of RBs. I'd really like to see the next pick a solid RB.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
dplank
Hall of Famer

I think you have it completely wrong on Cohen. Cohen is a RB, he needs MORE plays out of the backfield and less lined up as a WR. Most of his big plays came from the RB position, where he’s a dual threat. At WR, he’s EXTREMELY limited by his size. Nagy just needs a better run attack, plowing Cohen up the middle isn’t a good plan. Ideally Monty gets 20 carries and Cohen gets 8-10, with 4-5 receptions OUT OF THE BACKFIELD WHERE HES SUPER DANGEROUS.

That said, we need to draft a RB clearly. Patterson/Nall is not adequate depth if Monty goes down for any real period of time. Good news, There’s plenty out there. I love both Maryland RBs, those guys are explosive players.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:11 am I think you have it completely wrong on Cohen. Cohen is a RB, he needs MORE plays out of the backfield and less lined up as a WR. Most of his big plays came from the RB position, where he’s a dual threat. At WR, he’s EXTREMELY limited by his size. Nagy just needs a better run attack, plowing Cohen up the middle isn’t a good plan. Ideally Monty gets 20 carries and Cohen gets 8-10, with 4-5 receptions OUT OF THE BACKFIELD WHERE HES SUPER DANGEROUS.

That said, we need to draft a RB clearly. Patterson/Nall is not adequate depth if Monty goes down for any real period of time. Good news, There’s plenty out there. I love both Maryland RBs, those guys are explosive players.

Good post -and for Cohen motioning him into WR (when that is going to be his role) is just going to be more effective - Should almost be like RPO in Cohen's allignment

If Defense does X - then motion out
IE
Hall of Famer

OK I'll give you that Tarik may be worthy of more carries than I suggested, if they're calls that play to his skill set. I certainly don't like HOW he was used as a WR either. Those bubble screens are so frustrating. "Oh look - Nagy is trying to get 29 in space", thinks every viewer...

Anyway.. pull it up a level, and it just makes me nervous to have him as the #2 RB. I'd really really rather have a more traditional RB out there, and use Tarik creatively in that framework.

I see this team as being very ready to win now, and to me - just my opinion - RB is now the weakest depth. I'm not saying Nall can't step up. We just haven't seen it. So what if 32 gets dinged?
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!