OJ Howard possible target in trade?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

MACKSMACK
Practice Squad

If the Bears could get him for a 5th or one of the 6ths?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bucc ... er-report/
NYer that fell in love with Sweetness destroying defenders with that legendary stiff arm @ 8 yrs old. I'll never forget those early days and now, after many many years we have some integral players that'll be the key to success in the very near future.
G08
Hall of Famer

If we make a deal for him, it's coming with a contract extension. Might be better to just let him hit FA.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I dunno.
It's possible, I guess, but unless you commit to him with an extension, he's only got 1 year left. And the Bears already made their short-term move for Graham.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I wouldn't mind the move from a financial perspective, but it just doesn't look like a good fit. He's a talented guy who's talent never seemed to translate on the field except in small spurts....no thx. We already have that at QB lol. And much like my thoughts on Mitch's prospects going forward, I tend to believe what I see more so than hoping for some miraculous career turnaround. He's had 3 years now, all just about the same statistically, odds are that's who he is. Doesn't mean he won't become a great player someday, it could and does happen, I just wouldn't bet on it if I'm the Bears - we have our TE room filled.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

The TE room isn't just filled, it's overflowing! The Bears have 10 on the roster at present, which apparently is twice the league average.

They have two expensive veterans, who have been productive in the past but come with question marks and won't be cut due to their contracts, plus a plethora of young, development prospects.

Media pundits keep talking about the Bears being in 'win now' mode and also about how TE is a position it takes time to learn in the NFL. The Bears also have limited draft capital with most of it coming on Day 3. I'm therefore surprised to see so many of those pundits touting TE as a position they expect the Bears to address in the draft.

The Bears have greater need at other positions, notably RG and DB, and the WR class is considered to be exceptionally deep so landing players at couple of those positions with their 2nd round picks would make a lot more sense. Obviously you might get lucky and land the next George Kittle with one of the late rounders, but chances are you're just going to get one more development guy to add to an already long list.
Last edited by HisRoyalSweetness on Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:05 pm The TE room isn't just filled, it's overflowing! The Bears have 10 on the roster at present, which apparently is twice the league average.

They have two expensive veterans, who have been productive in the past but come with question marks and won't be cut due to their contracts, plus a plethora of young, development prospects.

Media pundits keep talking about the Bears being in 'win now' mode and also about how TE is a position it takes time to learn in the NFL. The Bears also have limited draft capital with most of it coming on Day 3. I'm therefore surprised to see so many of those pundits touting TE as a position they expect the Bears to address in the draft.

The Bears have greater need at other positions, notably RG and DB, and the WR class is considered to be exceptionally deep so landing players at those a couple of those positions with their 2nd round picks would make a lot more sense. Obviously you might get lucky and land the next George Kittle with one of the late rounders, but chances are you're just going to get one more development guy to add to an already long list.
Sure, but other side of the coin is:
  • There's a really good chance Burton's next season is his last.
  • Graham is under contract for 2, but could well be 1 and done, too. (He's 33 and 2020 season may not happen)
  • If TEs take time to develop, then you can't wait to draft one after Burton and Graham are gone.
  • It's a pretty deep year for TE, too. I've been getting really nice prospects every single time in rounds 3-5 (obviously that requires a trade, but it's not that hard to do.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:05 pm The TE room isn't just filled, it's overflowing! The Bears have 10 on the roster at present, which apparently is twice the league average.
Yes, but overflowing with what? If the Bears have 8 undrafted guys, do you consider that a non-need just because we have numbers? As Mori said, where are we going to be in 2021 when Burton's likely gone and Graham's either gone or 39?

I'm not saying we have to go get OJ Howard. Just that to call our TE basket "overflowing" is a crazy mis-assessment. More like "helluva lotta hope".
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
dplank
Hall of Famer

DoorDash delivers Chipotle's now, so I figure Adam Shaheen is bulking up for a full on beast mode in camp. Hey, if Mitch can turn his career around so can Adam!
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:34 pm
Yes, but overflowing with what? If the Bears have 8 undrafted guys, do you consider that a non-need just because we have numbers? As Mori said, where are we going to be in 2021 when Burton's likely gone and Graham's either gone or 39?

I'm not saying we have to go get OJ Howard. Just that to call our TE basket "overflowing" is a crazy mis-assessment. More like "helluva lotta hope".
Well aside from Burton and Graham, at least two others were drafted: Saubert and (shudder) Shaheen. ;)

The overflowing comment wasn't an assessment (let alone a mis-assessment), but simply a statement of fact regarding the exceptionally high number of TEs on the roster. It wasn't related to talent.

It's not that I don't consider TE a need, more that with only two picks in the first 4 rounds I just don't see a high probability of drafting one that will help, particularly this year. Is adding a late round TE to the myriad other young TEs already on the roster really likely to make a difference? The chances of landing any contributors let alone starting-calibre players in the late rounds is very low and TEs take time to develop. The Bears might do just as well continuing to develop the ones they already have.

That doesn't mean I'd be adverse to Pace picking a TE. If that's the best player available then go for it. You're much better off ignoring positional need entirely in the late rounds. If you're in 'win now' mode though then you have to look to fill holes for the coming season In the early rounds and TE isn't as high on that list as other positions.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I think drafting a TE, depending on needs when the draft rolls around, is more likely than trading for a 1 year and done guy like Howard that will most likely require significant investment to keep long term, especially with the cap status of the team in future years. With Burton, Graham and the others drafting and developing one, that is cheap for a few years, would be a much wiser investment.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

More like NO J, am I right?
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:01 pm
Mikefive wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:34 pm Yes, but overflowing with what? If the Bears have 8 undrafted guys, do you consider that a non-need just because we have numbers? As Mori said, where are we going to be in 2021 when Burton's likely gone and Graham's either gone or 39?

Well aside from Burton and Graham, at least two others were drafted: Saubert and (shudder) Shaheen. ;)

The overflowing comment wasn't an assessment (let alone a mis-assessment), but simply a statement of fact regarding the exceptionally high number of TEs on the roster. It wasn't related to talent.

It's not that I don't consider TE a need, more that with only two picks in the first 4 rounds I just don't see a high probability of drafting one that will help, particularly this year. Is adding a late round TE to the myriad other young TEs already on the roster really likely to make a difference? The chances of landing any contributors let alone starting-calibre players in the late rounds is very low and TEs take time to develop. The Bears might do just as well continuing to develop the ones they already have.

That doesn't mean I'd be adverse to Pace picking a TE. If that's the best player available then go for it. You're much better off ignoring positional need entirely in the late rounds. If you're in 'win now' mode though then you have to look to fill holes for the coming season In the early rounds and TE isn't as high on that list as other positions.
I guess I saw that "!" next to overflowing and overreacted. You and I seem to be on a similar page. Although with Burton gone now, there's really more pressure now to bring in more of a sure thing.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Well, the burton release may change this a bit.
Richie
MVP

dplank wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:09 am I wouldn't mind the move from a financial perspective, but it just doesn't look like a good fit. He's a talented guy who's talent never seemed to translate on the field except in small spurts....no thx. We already have that at QB lol. And much like my thoughts on Mitch's prospects going forward, I tend to believe what I see more so than hoping for some miraculous career turnaround. He's had 3 years now, all just about the same statistically, odds are that's who he is. Doesn't mean he won't become a great player someday, it could and does happen, I just wouldn't bet on it if I'm the Bears - we have our TE room filled.
You realize that Howard's numbers came in half of a season in 18, right? He was pacing to have a gigantic season.

Then, they bring in Arians who simply does not utilize the TE much.

The kid has stud potential, IMO. We have the cap space to get this done. I would not be opposed to it. Graham/Howard/Harris suddenly becomes a helluva TE room.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Yea ok, I already feel differently now that Burton’s gone. And I didn’t know that was half a season either. Graham + Howard would be a nice tandem.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I'm not always a believer in the Offense killed guy X or Y

But with Arians and TEs - I do believe it
wab
Mod

But the Bears don't really have anything to trade.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:51 am But the Bears don't really have anything to trade.
Maybe it's more akin to the Thomas Jones style of deal?

Would you trade down from #50 and a 6th to #76, #139 and OJ?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/new ... aft-moves/
(* IF others have a more preferred Draft Pick Value chart - I am ALL ears - Thanks)
Trade Value
#50 - 105 Points
#226 - 2 points

#76. 55 Points
#139 12 Points
So OJ Worth - About 40 Points. Which is around Pick 89 in terms of Value
wab
Mod

RichH55 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:00 am
wab wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:51 am But the Bears don't really have anything to trade.

(* IF others have a more preferred Draft Pick Value chart - I am ALL ears - Thanks)
Trade Value
#50 - 105 Points
#226 - 2 points

#76. 55 Points
#139 12 Points
I would do that. But I don't know if the Bucs would - unless they've come way down on their previously reported price.

Would you give up Cohen in a straight swap? He's the only player I can think of that would have value to the Bucs right now. Maybe Massie given the Arians connection...but I don't know the cap implications.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I wouldn't trade Cohen for Howard. He's one of my favorite players and he's extremely valuable to our offense. Howard could be a nice addition w/upside potential, but it would create a huge hole if we lost Cohen.

Graham, Harris, Holtz, Shaheen/Braunecker is serviceable, and if not enough I'd rather draft a guy than lose Cohen.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Yeah - Don't think I'd deal Cohen considering what we are trying to do (and at this stage - Graham's money is a sunk cost now)
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:14 pm I'll put this here:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/288 ... m=referral
It's a done deal. Gronk is coming out of retirement for Brady and the Bucs. If I were Howard, I would want the hell out of there. I just went from the #1 TE to afterthought.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

RichH55 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:00 am

Trade Value
#50 - 105 Points
#226 - 2 points

#76. 55 Points
#139 12 Points
That's funny as I was just thinking something along a trade down with the player being the main differential in pick swap today. I could see something if they were looking at Swift as the new RB1.

I'd definitely be open to it as I have always been a big fan of Howard.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:48 pm
RichH55 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:14 pm I'll put this here:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/288 ... m=referral
It's a done deal. Gronk is coming out of retirement for Brady and the Bucs. If I were Howard, I would want the hell out of there. I just went from the #1 TE to afterthought.
What's that I was hearing about Arians NOT using his TEs? lol
spudbear
MVP

It'll be Tom Terrific using his TE and not necessarily Arians. If anything the Bucs should keep Howard around as insurance as he's a sunk cost and they don't know how much Gronk can play. He's been out a year and IIRC he had some injury problems the last season or two he did play. The year off could help him but he's not getting any younger so it takes longer to recover from a game and injuries.

Who knows, Gronk could groom Howard to take a step up.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
wab
Mod

spudbear wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:15 am It'll be Tom Terrific using his TE and not necessarily Arians. If anything the Bucs should keep Howard around as insurance as he's a sunk cost and they don't know how much Gronk can play. He's been out a year and IIRC he had some injury problems the last season or two he did play. The year off could help him but he's not getting any younger so it takes longer to recover from a game and injuries.

Who knows, Gronk could groom Howard to take a step up.
This is a good point. Brady's favorite weapons are his TE's. Brady and Gronk might actually be the best thing for Howard.