Let's look at our OL competition

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

Here's who we have as of now...we typically keep 8.

Likely starters (and roster locks): LT - Charles Leno Jr, LG - James Daniels, C - Cody Whitehair, RG - Germain Ifedi, RT - Bobby Massie

Need 3 backups from this list: Alex Bars, Dino Boyd, Rashad Coward, Arlington Hambright (R), Corey Levin, Sam Mustifer, Lachavious Simmons (R), Jason Spriggs

I'd say Spriggs, Coward, and Bars are most likely. Unless one of the rookies really pops then Bars might end up on the PS again. Spriggs is the swing T, and Coward/Bars have position flexibility.

This is not an awe inspiring group, but it's what we got.
IE
Hall of Famer

The Oline is suspect. I do think they'll play better this year. Maybe not as well as we'd like - but better.

The defense is so damn good that I expect 2018-era short fields that will hide the oline. And some MUCH better TE and QB play that will also be a more legit threat the defense has to actually care about & hide the oline a bit.

I think Spriggs, Coward and Bars. With the 7th rounders PS. So year I do think they were less like picks and more like just securing them for the PS.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Re: Spriggs, he needs to stay healthy first.
UOK
Site Admin

dplank wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:34 am Here's who we have as of now...we typically keep 8.

Likely starters (and roster locks): LT - Charles Leno Jr, LG - James Daniels, C - Cody Whitehair, RG - Germain Ifedi, RT - Bobby Massie

Need 3 backups from this list: Alex Bars, Dino Boyd, Rashad Coward, Arlington Hambright (R), Corey Levin, Sam Mustifer, Lachavious Simmons (R), Jason Spriggs

I'd say Spriggs, Coward, and Bars are most likely. Unless one of the rookies really pops then Bars might end up on the PS again. Spriggs is the swing T, and Coward/Bars have position flexibility.

This is not an awe inspiring group, but it's what we got.
I know there's rumors that the coaches don't like Bars, but he's probably better than most of the rest of the crop. It could be one of those weird situations like Matt Slauson where he got traded during his peak because he didn't fit the offense. To me, who gives a fuck? If a guy can win at the point of attack and either give your passer that split second more to survive or give the runner another inch of daylight, you lock him up.

Again, this falls on Nagy in particular for being too stubborn that it's all about the system, and without the right talent, the system fails, but talent in the NFL is finite. If the Bears see talent in a guy like Bars, scheme be fucked - play him.

Edit: I'm rooting for Spriggs to prove something to himself after the failure in Green Bay. Would be nice to get our version of Marc Columbo, but the other way around.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:34 am This is not an awe inspiring group, but it's what we got.
No, it is not.

Spriggs, Bars, Coward would be my bet for backups.
A lot of other outcomes are possible - but I'm not sure if I like any of the candidates enough to really care...
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

I'm going with Spriggs, Coward, and Levin. Spriggs and Coward have both OG and OT experience and Levin has OG/C experience.

I would prefer Bars over Coward but for whatever reason, the team seems to prefer Coward.

The two rookies end up on the PS.
IE
Hall of Famer

Do we know what it is about Bars they don't like? I'm assuming it means the new OL coaches. Would love to hear.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Watching Dieter Eiselen on his highlight tape hitting defenseless players already laying on the ground and out of the play gives me some hope for this group. I can see Daniels, Whitehair and Ifedi as a pretty solid interior group. I'm more concerned about our tackles, which is pretty consistent for any fan of any team. Those guys don't grow on trees. But nothing in FA or the draft has made me feel better about the tackle situation short of Spriggs getting his mojo back.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:44 am Do we know what it is about Bars they don't like? I'm assuming it means the new OL coaches. Would love to hear.
Why do we think they don't like him? They paid him a active roster salary to keep him from bolting to the Pat's last season. Then pulled him up once injuries mounted. That doesn't sound like a guy they don't like.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:24 pm Watching Dieter Eiselen on his highlight tape hitting defenseless players already laying on the ground and out of the play gives me some hope for this group. I can see Daniels, Whitehair and Ifedi as a pretty solid interior group. I'm more concerned about our tackles, which is pretty consistent for any fan of any team. Those guys don't grow on trees. But nothing in FA or the draft has made me feel better about the tackle situation short of Spriggs getting his mojo back.
I never count out the Ivy Leaguers when it comes to NFL OL positions. The G position in the NFL is so complex, that players who are able to process more information faster, have a better chance of digesting the nuances of playing the position.

Watching his tape. He's slow as shit, but he's got a serious nasty side to him. Like evil. I like it. He's built like a tank.
IE
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:26 pm
IE wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:44 am Do we know what it is about Bars they don't like? I'm assuming it means the new OL coaches. Would love to hear.
Why do we think they don't like him? They paid him a active roster salary to keep him from bolting to the Pat's last season. Then pulled him up once injuries mounted. That doesn't sound like a guy they don't like.
I was basically asking for more information from UOK, who mentioned there was talk about this. He was kind of Harry's guy - so maybe there are just assumptions out there that the new guys won't like him. But I don't see why -or it isn't obvious to me.
UOK
Site Admin

IE wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:23 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:26 pm

I was basically asking for more information from UOK, who mentioned there was talk about this. He was kind of Harry's guy - so maybe there are just assumptions out there that the new guys won't like him. But I don't see why -or it isn't obvious to me.
I don't have a concrete source, I just recall that coming up on the radio whenever Bars was matched by the Bears when the Pats tried to sign him. It could be total bullshit.

I like Bars' potential, and they played him at tackle in the preseason last year. Could be they try him there again this year as well.
Middleguard
MVP

Bars was also listed as a tackle in his few regular season appearances, but I never once noticed him in a game, so can't say that's where he played.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Middleguard wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:40 pm Bars was also listed as a tackle in his few regular season appearances, but I never once noticed him in a game, so can't say that's where he played.
He got 12 whole snaps according to Pro football reference. You didn't even notice where he played?!
IE
Hall of Famer

I think it is because that's the position he played on ST?

I thought he looked pretty good in PS in fairly extensive play. Granted, against backups mostly. But playing multiple positions and having been out of action for a while. He looked in-charge against backups, like he was "above them"... IMO.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

They didn't like Bars so much they actually let him play ffs. He's a fringe OL prospect, maybe.
Z Bear
MVP

Iredi is a mild improvement over what we trotted out at RG last year and Castillo is a different coach. We are hoping that turns this group into a well oiled machine that plows holes in the run game.

That does not give me the warm and tinglies.
G08
Hall of Famer

Castillo prides himself on finding athletic players, either former busts or UDFAs, and coaching technique and aggression into them. Assuming we have training camp / some method of working players, he's going to rep the shit out of these dudes and the cream will rise to the top.

There is potential for issues because he's very particular in his technique and if you don't buy in it could ruin everything. Just takes one guy so it bears mention and should be important to monitor.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I think the plan always seemed to be get better from within - it's not all the implausible IMHO
wab
Mod

I like Bars, but I think he's a better OT than OG. At ND they moved him inside during his graduate season to help cover for the loss of Nelson, and also because they wanted to get Hainsey and Eichenberg looks at OT.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I think Bars is a Guard

The Notre Dame thing makes little sense otherwise - you don't move an NFL OT inside to Guard in College that late unless he's really a Guard
BR0D1E86
MVP

The Cooler King wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:19 pm
Middleguard wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:40 pm Bars was also listed as a tackle in his few regular season appearances, but I never once noticed him in a game, so can't say that's where he played.
He got 12 whole snaps according to Pro football reference. You didn't even notice where he played?!
If I remember right, and I probably don't, I think 100% of his snaps were as a 6th lineman in huge sets, and he was on the end.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:10 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:19 pm

If I remember right, and I probably don't, I think 100% of his snaps were as a 6th lineman in huge sets, and he was on the end.
You're right. I went back and found ten of the twelve snaps (IIRC, it's searchable but not worth it) and remember him getting blown up a couple times. It was not good tape, and made me seriously doubt Bars.
xyt in the discord chats
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I've said this in another thread, but I think it bears repeating here--I'm not convinced that Massie will be the starter. He's really not built for this offense. They want those quicker type offensive lineman who can move laterally and seal. Massie is more of a straight ahead guy. Renegotiating him to such a large contract last year was stupid. I still think that that has a lot to do with HH's firing, as I think HH convinced them to do it. If Massie loses the starting gig, he'll probably still make the team as the cap hit will be quite expensive, and Massie would still be a valuable backup. But if Spriggs has it together, I can see him beating Bobby out. If Spriggs is recovered, he's much faster and moves laterally much better. Hell, he ran a sub 5 40 coming out.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Really wish they’d try Massie at G
thunderspirit
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:40 pm Really wish they’d try Massie at G
In his 102 NFL starts and his 29 college starts, he has played guard zero times. There's zero evidence he can shift inside to guard after a career at tackle.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:18 pm
In his 102 NFL starts and his 29 college starts, he has played guard zero times. There's zero evidence he can shift inside to guard after a career at tackle.
More importantly, theres no reason to based on the current roster construct. That idea was always based on if the Bears signed a top T like Conklin and putting Massie into a G competition.
wab
Mod

I can all but guarantee that, barring injury, Massie is the starting RT for 2020.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Yes, absolutely. Was just a fleeting thought, not seriously suggesting they do it this year...he's our RT. I just think he could be good there because he's such a powerful guy and it would limit his struggles with quick edge rushers.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I would tend to agree if they have someone else at Tackle (not sure they do)

And they should do it early if they are doing it.

Tackle to Guard happens all the time