Let's look at our OL competition

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Yeah G, but that was just one game. There were others. I explicitly remember one safety that was caused because Garza was steamrolled.

Let me clarify on Garza though. I really respect him a lot. Playing OL in the NFL on only one knee is simply amazing. He actually was really good moving forward. His problem was moving laterally in a pull. He only had one knee to stabilize him, the other was all brace. Caught mid pull, he would regularly get blown up. That's not a good thing from any offensive lineman but particularly from your RG, who's supposed to be like the power forward of your OL. And these often happened at most inopportune times.

We brought in Garza after he failed two physicals--one with the Packers and one with the Ravens. My problem isn't with his performance as an individual--he did what he could, and it really is amazing what he accomplished on one leg. My problem is that they never deigned to bring a prospect to groom for him. It's simply not good when you have an offensive guard who can be taken out by a DB as he's pulling. It's not good to rely on a guard with only one knee without trying to groom somebody to replace him.

Rich's stance has always been that it's no big deal if a defensive back takes out an offensive lineman if that DB doesn't make the tackle, that it's as good as a block. My take has always been that that's a load of crap. If a DB takes out an offensive lineman and doesn't make the tackle, he still either clogs up the hole with a mass of bodies or he forces the DB deeper and wider letting the pursuit get there. Aside from it just being a horrible visual with your offensive lineman being punked by a DB, it also has very real on field ramifications to the success of a play even if that DB doesn't make the actual tackle.

When Rich notice in that clip that well of course an offensive lineman should be able to wipe out a DB with one hand, I thought that Rich had finally realized the truth. But apparently I was wrong. Apparently, Rich still feels that's entirely okay if your offensive lineman is getting blown up by DBs so long as that DB doesn't make the tackle. :roll:

And I'll leave it at that.
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

RichH55 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:44 pm Matt Ware for me - If I'm going to cast stones I need to remember the house I live in

Love the drapes...

2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
wab
Mod

I thought Brian Brohm was going to be the best QB in the NFL within 2 years and I thought the other guy taken way before him was going to be too fragile to last in the NFL. Well, ol Matt Ryan is still ticking and Brohm is selling insurance some where probably.

So none of us really know WTF we are talking about.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Context matters - Everyone always wants to see Pancake blocks as if they are the only effective block

The DB in Spriggs (non DL at the very least) either didn't time it right or just got caught up in the trash and was trying to essentially restart on another route to the QB (where Spriggs got him with one arm) - There is nothing particulary sensational about that.

Even Garza would have stopped him there (any OL would have stopped him as he had no speed/power and didn't have a Pass Rushing move handy)

Yogi was against the Garza signing from Day 1 (due to the lack of ACL) and would question that Garza would have any longevity or effectiveness.

Both of which are monster whiffs. This was a very solid Guard for most of a Decade.

But on Garza you can get a sense of the Yogi fatwa on him "And these often happened at most inopportune times."

Untrue. Pure and simple.

Though I like the notion now that the lack of an ACL was somehow a Clutch thing - Like Garza could get push when it didn't matter but the ACL was such a head case that it couldn't handle pressure???

"It's not good to rely on a guard with only one knee without trying to groom somebody to replace him."

They got a Decade out of him. Though in fairness - I think the last two years were iffy (34 and 35). That's still 8 years.

You don't groom replacements for 8 years. 8 years is more than 2 average careers. It's Double the normal Rookie contract.

That's the type of stupidity that he is going to double and triple down on (when Matt Barkley didn't go to the 4th Round after Yogi would approvingly quote people saying he was the Best QB in the Pac 10 despite Andrew Luck playing at the same time - And then the whole Matt Barkley not being good in the Pros)

Well - that wasn't because Yogi was wrong - of course not! Shredded shoulder! Marriotta excuse to come (Yogi: He's gonna change the game! )
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:45 pm I thought Brian Brohm was going to be the best QB in the NFL within 2 years and I thought the other guy taken way before him was going to be too fragile to last in the NFL. Well, ol Matt Ryan is still ticking and Brohm is selling insurance some where probably.

So none of us really know WTF we are talking about.
I have plenty of misses too, man. We all do, if we're honest.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

I thought Cedric Benson was truly going to be a beast...

I guess to one degree, he was, but... sigh.

RIP
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.