2020 Draft: What would you have done

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

RichH55
Hall of Famer

You don't get to interview the players and your job precluded you from watching 100 hours of tape a week - BUT you do get the hindsight of knowing which players were picked where

SO - what would you have done this year (I always find this an interesting exercise)

Rules:
1 - You can pick anyone who went in that Pick or Later - But if you pass a guy (or trade down) you can NOT grab that player later

Ex. You think in your heart of hearts that Kmet would have been there later and trade down/pass on him at 43 - He's now dead to you - you can NOT pick him anywhere other than #43

2. You can only do things that happened - Mainly for trade downs and ups - You can pay more/give better value but you can't do anything else

Ex. You Have pick #43
#42 goes for 50/99 - you CANNOT have that trade since 42 is better than 43
BUT
say #44 went for 50/122 - you CAN do that with #43 for the EXACT same package since 43 is better than 44

So What Would You Have Done 2020 Draft???
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Oy. I'll have to see what trades happened. Is there a clean list of them all somewhere?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Xee
Site Admin

wab
Mod

Seems like a weird exercise. I can't assume a trade would even be possible because saying "I would have traded #43 to X team for picks Y and Z" assumes that the other team would be a willing trade partner. So all I can do is look at the Bears picks that were made, and see who went after to determine if there is a player I would have preferred other than who the Bears picked. So having said that, here's what I would have done:

43 - Cole Kmet
I would have made this pick. Although Chase Claypool gets serious consideration

50 - Ezra Cleveland
Cleveland went 8 picks later to the Vikings. I love Jaylon Johnson but IMO a future starting OT made more sense than another corner.

155 - Quez Watkins
Full disclosure, I'd never even heard of Mooney leading up to the draft...so this isn't so much a commentary on him being picked later by the Bears as much as it is Watkins being one of the guys I hope the Bears would draft. Watkins went at 200 in the next round.

163 - Trevis Gipson
I'm making the assumption that he would have lasted 8 more picks. I thought he was one of the better 2nd tier edge rushing prospects in the draft - like low 2nd early 3rd. I liked him Better than Curtis Weaver who went next at 164.

173 - Evan Weaver
Depth at ILB concerns me and Weaver was a guy I spent a lot of time looking at. He went at 202 in the next round.

226 - Alex Taylor
High upside potential bookend for Cleveland who I took in R1. Taylor went undrafted.

227 - Reggie Corbin
This last pick is tough, because the Bears arguably needed depth at DT, OG, RB, and QB. I'll take a flyer on the local kid...who also went undrafted.

Yes - I completely passed on QB and DL just like the Bears did. I also passed on a corner in favor of depth at ILB.

But based on how the actual draft went... these are the picks that I personally would have made.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

WAB - you CAN assume it if it happened

If the 44th Pick was dealt - you can assume they'd have dealt the same exact thing for Pick #43 - That's fair

But Appreciate the picks WAB!
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I probably would have went Delpit at 43 and hoped Kmet would be there at 50. But if Kmet was their guy, I'm fine with the pick. Not sure he would have slid any further. Also, CB was a need and the value we got at 50 was awesome.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Have little issue with the two 2nd rounders, and both Gipson and Mooney were on my My Guys [tm] list going into the draft.

In place of Vildor (163) I would have taken either Prince Tega Wanogho or Hakeem Adeniji. I was higher on Wanogho, so let's go with him.

In the 7th, I'm okay with gambling on the athleticism of Hambright. I read in several places that Ben DiNucci was the other QB the Bears allegedly wanted after James Morgan; still, while I may not necessarily agree with it, I do get the reason they ultimately shied away from drafting a QB. With that in mind, I'd have taken a flyer on Nebraska NT Darrion Daniels.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I do this every year. I have kept track for a while. I try to pick while the pick is made, however sometimes it's a touch after the fact.

43 Jaylon Johnson CB Utah
- Bears took him the next pick. I guess injury concerns dropped him but he is legit as fuck. Cover corner who can press and play off. Loose hips good athleticism and great instincts.

50 Josh Jones OT Houston
-physically put together guy, whom played well at senior bowl. Needs to refine technique. Played at a lower level. But dude has a super high ceiling. I think he has skillset for 4 positions.

155 Trevis Gipson DE Tulsa
-Really like this pick but wasn't on my radar. I think the Bears have a plan here. Violent hands and still filling out. Dont know what weight they want him to play at or position. I think situational pass rusher and Mack's back up. Might be able to bulk up and be a rotational 5T.

163 Jake Fromm QB Georga
-Bears didnt take a QB. I couldn't pass Fromm up in the 5th.

173 Donovan Peoples-Jones WR Michigan
-Complete skillset played with bad QB. Either he is prime to play above drafted position or the scouts know more then I do. Positions of strength in the draft allow for talent to slide.

226 JR Reed S Georga
-Went undrafted. Does everything well but nothing great. Plays smart in good position and a willing tackler. How did he fo undrafted?

227 Bryce Huff Edge Memphis
-athletic edge rusher, might not be as long as you want but has a the suddenness to make plays. At worst great special teams guy.

UDFA Hunter Bryant TE Washington
UDFA Alex Taylor OT South Dakota State
UDFA Michael Warren II RB Cincinnati
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Well, I would have loved to trade down from 43 or 50 but based on the constraints of the rules, don't think I really have any good deals to make based on things that actually happened. I am going to forgo the two 6ths for 5th swap though. I'll keep the Gipson trade up though.

43-Ezra Cleveland, OT, Boise State
50-Jaylon Johnson
155-Trevis Gipson (probably a bit earlier than I would have popped, but knowing this is the opportunity I keep the pick/trade as I did like him coming in)
163-Darnell Mooney (was not on my radar before but I liked this pick now, just bumping it up to Vildors slot)
196-Antoine Brooks Jr, S, Marylamd
200- Evan Weaver, ILB, Cal
226-Javon Leake, RB, Maryland
233-Anthony Gordon, QB, Washington St

Tough to not address a TE, but I guess the way the draft fell it was probably either that or OT. Certainly a Y TE is a bigger immediate need. Could have gone with a U TE at a few spots and opted not to. So I could be swayed to keep Kmet at 43, thus keeping my board very similar to the real thing (in which case I would likely still try to find a spot for a OL somewhere, probably in place of Leake)
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I’ll do two scenarios in case you disagree with my trade back:

43-Grant Delpit S
50-Ezra Cleveland OT
155-Bryce Hall CB
163-John Hightower WR

Or better yet, if I can do the Seahawks-Browns trade but give them 43 instead of 48 and get 59 and 101

50-Jaylon Johnson CB
59-Jeremy Chinn S
101-Ben Bartch OG
155-Trevis Gipson EDGE
163-John Hightower WR
xyt in the discord chats
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:02 pm I’ll do two scenarios in case you disagree with my trade back:

43-Grant Delpit S
50-Ezra Cleveland OT
155-Bryce Hall CB
163-John Hightower WR

Or better yet, if I can do the Seahawks-Browns trade but give them 43 instead of 48 and get 59 and 101

50-Jaylon Johnson CB
59-Jeremy Chinn S
101-Ben Bartch OG
155-Trevis Gipson EDGE
163-John Hightower WR
That trade would be allowed in the rules outlined and I looked at it, but it's pretty light from a traditional trade value chart standpoint. And as it were with my re-draft of Cleveland I'd have missed him by one pick.

As it were though at 101 I might take John Simpson, G, Clemson over Bartch, who I might have even contemplated in Rd2. But in the real world of no hindsight I'd never want to risk that compensation not knowing a guy I really like is there at 101.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Edited thanks to Cooler King:

I'll play. Going through this, I understand why Pace didn't trade down--teams simply weren't getting the worth in a trade down. But I'll play, trying to stay true to my Picnic Basket as much as possible:

43--Trade for 59 and 101 (Seahawks at 48)

With 50 and 59, I can now take two of three players from my Picnic Basket, including my first pick Denzel Mims.

50--Logan Wilson, ILB, Wyoming.

Sorry, didn't opt for my first pick as my next pick is simply too perfect for the Bears.

59--Antonio Gibson, RB/WR, Memphis.

My absolute favorite player in the draft. Perfect fit for Bears and can take over Cohen next year.

Alternative: I could trade this pick for 69 and 148 (Panthers at 64). If I did that, I'd take Gibson at 50 (I like him that much. With 69, I'd take Josh Jones and with 148 I'd take Trevis Gibson so we don't lose next year's fourth.

101--Trade for 125 and 129 and 2021 6th (Patriots at this spot). Could have taken Trautman here, but he's just too Shaheenish for me.

125--Trade for 136, 248, 250 (Texans at 126)

129--L'Jarius Sneed, S, Louisiana Tech. 7th rounder from my Picnic Basket.

136--Ben Bredeson, OG, Michigan. Second pick in my Picnic Basket and my favorite OG this year.

155--Trevis Gipson, OLB, Tulsa. I make the same trade as Pace. Like this guy.

163--Kindle Vildor, CB, Georgia Southern. This is the Bears' choice at CB, and we'll need one since I didn't Johnson.

173--Don't make the trade up for Mooney.

196--Antoine Brooks, S, Maryland. A more experienced safety with tougher competition than Sneed.

200--Quez Watkins, WR, Sothern Mississippi. Replacement for Mooney.

226--Lachavious Simmons, OL, Tennessee State. I really like this kid. More than Arlington I think.

233--Stephen Sullivan, TE, LSU. And Rich breaks open a bottle of Dom Perignon.

248--Jared Pinkney, TE, Vanderbuilt. Stayed away from Hunter Bryant as the rest of the NFL seems to have concerns with his knees and he went undrafted. Pinkney is bigger, faster, and stronger anyway.

250--AJ Green, CB, Oklahoma State. I still really like Green even though he wasn't drafted.

And I presume I still get the Yale as a UDFA. I really like that kid.
Last edited by Yogi da Bear on Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

All those extra picks and you didn't even use them all. Smh.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:24 pm All those extra picks and you didn't even use them all. Smh.
Fuck! My bad. I'm going to edit now.

Did I get them all with the edit CK? I think I did, but it gets fucking confusing when you trade down that much. lol
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the Sullivan pick Yogi - I'm doing that too
wab
Mod

mmmc_35 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:13 am I do this every year. I have kept track for a while. I try to pick while the pick is made, however sometimes it's a touch after the fact.

43 Jaylon Johnson CB Utah
- Bears took him the next pick. I guess injury concerns dropped him but he is legit as fuck. Cover corner who can press and play off. Loose hips good athleticism and great instincts.

50 Josh Jones OT Houston
-physically put together guy, whom played well at senior bowl. Needs to refine technique. Played at a lower level. But dude has a super high ceiling. I think he has skillset for 4 positions.

155 Trevis Gipson DE Tulsa
-Really like this pick but wasn't on my radar. I think the Bears have a plan here. Violent hands and still filling out. Dont know what weight they want him to play at or position. I think situational pass rusher and Mack's back up. Might be able to bulk up and be a rotational 5T.

163 Jake Fromm QB Georga
-Bears didnt take a QB. I couldn't pass Fromm up in the 5th.

173 Donovan Peoples-Jones WR Michigan
-Complete skillset played with bad QB. Either he is prime to play above drafted position or the scouts know more then I do. Positions of strength in the draft allow for talent to slide.

226 JR Reed S Georga
-Went undrafted. Does everything well but nothing great. Plays smart in good position and a willing tackler. How did he fo undrafted?

227 Bryce Huff Edge Memphis
-athletic edge rusher, might not be as long as you want but has a the suddenness to make plays. At worst great special teams guy.

UDFA Hunter Bryant TE Washington
UDFA Alex Taylor OT South Dakota State
UDFA Michael Warren II RB Cincinnati
I could've gotten down with this, other than the lack of a 2nd starting level TE.
IE
Hall of Famer

Mid-way through the 5th round I absolutely would have picked my jaw up off the floor and grabbed Fromm instead of Vindor. The rest can ride.

I really wanted Jalen Hurts at 50. OK fine JayJ is going to be good. But so is Hurts. Here's my new pet theory: Mitch is given the starting job because, well - we all think he will basically. Then he performs OK enough to hold onto it, and the team is winning most of it's games in the first half of the season. Then Wentz gets injured again in game 9-10 and the Eagles who are also flying high trade Hurts straight-up for one Nick Foles who looks terrific in training camp but miserable sitting idle on the sidelines. Bears get Hurts for a 4th rounder. Eagles get Foles AGAIN for another run.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

If that happened, Pace would absolutely rape the Eagles in exchange for Foles. If you want Hurts, fine, but you better also demand a second! Foles would be their season.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

43) WR KJ Hamler
50) CB Jaylon Johnson

155) OLB Curtis Weaver
163) WR Isaih Coulter
196) SS Josh Metallus
200) RB Eno Benjamin
226) ILB Joe Bachie
233) TE Hunter Bryant

No additional trades, kept 1/2 of Pace's trades

Some things went really well - WR, OLB, ILB, RB
But OL still gets nothing and TE doesn't do as well (although Bryant's slide is puzzling and I still think he's a credible player). OL was empty by R5 - you had to trade to handle that.

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:16 am Here's a link, @Moriarty

https://www.prosportstransactions.com/f ... s/2020.htm
Thanks @Xee

Trades are tough, in that there's certainly more trades available than the ones that happened. For example, team X may have been offering A, B, and C to trade up to 40-45...but none of the teams in that range were interested, but I would have been. We'll never know what options were on the table. (Pace indicated they had trade options at 50 that they declined).

The only consummated trade that makes any sense at the top is 43 : 59, 101 which is pretty favorable to the latter. Giving 43 (instead of 48, in reality), I'd want their 4th (133) in that deal, too. Would they have included that or risked waiting (pick 48) to give less? Who knows?

With just (43 : 59, 101) :

50) CB Jaylon Johnson
t59) WR Denzel Mims
t101) TE Albert Okwuegbunam

155) OLB Curtis Weaver
163) WR Isaih Coulter
196) SS Josh Metallus
200) RB Eno Benjamin
226) ILB Joe Bachie
233) TE Hunter Bryant

With a fairer, but obviously hypothetical and breaking the thread rules (43, 196 : 59, 101, 133):

50) CB Jaylon Johnson
t59) WR Denzel Mims
t101) TE Albert Okwuegbunam
t133) C Tyler Biadasz

155) OLB Curtis Weaver
163) WR Isaih Coulter
200) RB Eno Benjamin
226) ILB Joe Bachie
233) TE Hunter Bryant