Bears sign Ted Ginn Jr.

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wulfy
MVP

Interesting move ....

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -ted-ginn/

With the signing of two guys who are legit return men (Trevor Davis and Ginn) is Cordalle Patterson in jeopardy of not making this team? Also, they've added some legit speed in both Davis (4.42), Ginn (4.28 back in the day) and Mooney (4.38). Ridley and Wims are also on notice.

PS: Go Buckeyes!
Richie
MVP

Ginn is only a punt returner, no? So, that's not Patterson and I don't think Cohen would lose his duties there. I honestly don't think either should. They're both elite in that respect.

Also, there were jokes last year about how many return men we had on the roster heading into camp. I think Pace just looks for guys who bring multiple facets to the table when filling in rosters.

I would probably bet against Ginn to make the final roster. I think here's to push the younger guys. Possibly mentor them a bit.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Per pro football reference he hasn't returned regularly since 2016.

2017 - 19 PR and 5 KR
2018/19 - 1 KR each season
Last edited by The Cooler King on Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G08
Hall of Famer

Meh, see if he's got any gas left in the tank
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Z Bear
MVP

He brings a respected speed element to the offense until Mooney can prove himself. I like it!
UOK
Site Admin

Basically there to push Wims and Ridley for a roster spot.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:32 pm Basically there to push Wims and Ridley for a roster spot.
Most likely. They could keep 7 WR if they view CPatt primarily as a special teamer. Or if they just fully commit to CPatt being a backup RB.

Read from a Saints fan on another board that Ginn has really lost a step and apparently they could have used the WR depth so their lack of interest might tell you something
Richie
MVP

The Cooler King wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:22 pm Per pro football reference he last returned regularly since 2016.

2017 - 19 PR and 5 KR
2018/19 - 1 KR each season
Having 2 kick returns in two seasons is considered a "regular" kick returner to you? And a threat to our reigning All-Pro kick return man, Cordarelle Patterson?
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Looking at the WR group...
Robinson.... Lock starter. Working on contract extension.
Miller... 2018 R2 pick. Virtual lock starter, but may be better out of the slot. On and off shoulder issues.
Wims... 2018 R7 pick. 6'5". Seems like he belongs, but only 22 career catches.
Patterson... Big and fast. Very good KR guy who can also play some RB.
Ridley... 2019 R4 pick. Possession guy. 6 catches in last 4 games.
Mooney... 2020 R5 pick. 4.38 speed.
Ginn... Age 35. 4.28 15 years ago.

No way the Bears keep all 7 guys. 5 also seems unlikely. As suggested by UOK, Ginn could be there to raise the floor. You could make a case for any of the guys outside of Robinson, Miller or Patterson (who I think has some guaranteed $$$ in this, his contract year) to be the odd man out.

Wims--who I really have liked--does disappear a lot. He needs to take a significant step forward in year 3. Has size you can't teach.
Ridley started contributing a bit late in 2019. Arrow pointing up, but lack of size/speed may limit his upside.
Mooney... Rookie mid-rounder with questionable hands could be a tough call, since he wouldn't last on the practice squad.
Ginn... Has easily more experience than the others. But how much has he slowed down? Likely the most expensive.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Z Bear wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:29 pm He brings a respected speed element to the offense until Mooney can prove himself. I like it!
That's my feeling. Sounds like they said Mooney had a pretty decent route tree already but I'm sure it's a mentor/established downfield guy in interim if he sticks.

Definitely a bust before that outlier 1st go round with Carolina. Then a bust after. Then respectable. But he's 35 too.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Mikefive wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:54 pm Looking at the WR group...
Robinson.... Lock starter. Working on contract extension.
Miller... 2018 R2 pick. Virtual lock starter, but may be better out of the slot. On and off shoulder issues.
Wims... 2018 R7 pick. 6'5". Seems like he belongs, but only 22 career catches.
Patterson... Big and fast. Very good KR guy who can also play some RB.
Ridley... 2019 R4 pick. Possession guy. 6 catches in last 4 games.
Mooney... 2020 R5 pick. 4.38 speed.
Ginn... Age 35. 4.28 15 years ago.

No way the Bears keep all 7 guys. 5 also seems unlikely. As suggested by UOK, Ginn could be there to raise the floor. You could make a case for any of the guys outside of Robinson, Miller or Patterson (who I think has some guaranteed $$$ in this, his contract year) to be the odd man out.

Wims--who I really have liked--does disappear a lot. He needs to take a significant step forward in year 3. Has size you can't teach.
Ridley started contributing a bit late in 2019. Arrow pointing up, but lack of size/speed may limit his upside.
Mooney... Rookie mid-rounder with questionable hands could be a tough call, since he wouldn't last on the practice squad.
Ginn... Has easily more experience than the others. But how much has he slowed down? Likely the most expensive.
I like Wims too, but this is year 3 so think he has the most pressure should Ginn do anything or show he has anything.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:54 pm Wims... 2018 R7 pick. 6'5". Seems like he belongs, but only 22 career catches.

Last time I checked, Wims is 6'2". He's 220lbs, and I like his size too. But he's not 6'5".
wulfy
MVP

Mikefive wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:54 pm Ridley started contributing a bit late in 2019. Arrow pointing up, but lack of size/speed may limit his upside.
Was looking back at some of his combine numbers and really surprised how bad they were:
4.58/40 with Three-cone (7.22) and vertical jump (30.5")

His claim to fame is his route running - but his inability to play Teams probably is going to be a struggle for him to be on the active game day roster as a 4th WR. Josh Bellamy got a lot of snaps at WR in the offense, not because he was a good WR, but because he was game day active every week..
makaur
Pro Bowler

Richie wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:18 pm Ginn is only a punt returner, no? So, that's not Patterson and I don't think Cohen would lose his duties there. I honestly don't think either should. They're both elite in that respect.
To be perfectly honest, the first thing I thought about the Ginn Jr. signing is that he's being brought in specifically to return kicks/punts.

Why? I'm thinking they have some plans for Cohen in the offense, but need him to be fresh.

Sure, most punts are fair caught or kicked out of bounds (or touchbacks) but if there is a return, I'd almost rather the old guy who can still run take the beating for that one play compared to the younger guy who has a greater role in the offense.

If that's the thinking then I kind of like this signing!
Xee
Site Admin

Wow, this guy's still around? I remember there was a lot of talk when he was drafted that he went as early as he did because Hester lit up the league the year before so the Dolphins were trying to replicate that by picking Ginn before a QB.

I've always got a soft spot for older players who can still hang with the college kids so I'll be rooting for him.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I love this signing. Ginn has been declining but was still effective as a WR3 in the Saints offense. He actually had 2 receptions for 48 yards in their rout of the Bears last year. He’s probably the third best WR on the Bears right now
xyt in the discord chats
dplank
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:52 pm I love this signing. Ginn has been declining but was still effective as a WR3 in the Saints offense. He actually had 2 receptions for 48 yards in their rout of the Bears last year. He’s probably the third best WR on the Bears right now
Agree...I like Ginn better than Gabriel, and we need the speed out there. A late round rookie as our only real deep threat is scary, this is a good move. If the drafted kid pans out, then great, Ginn doesn't make the team. But if he doesn't, we have a proven option, and he can still run. Saw him live last year, stupid fast out there still...
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:04 pm
crueltyabc wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:52 pm I love this signing. Ginn has been declining but was still effective as a WR3 in the Saints offense. He actually had 2 receptions for 48 yards in their rout of the Bears last year. He’s probably the third best WR on the Bears right now
Agree...I like Ginn better than Gabriel, and we need the speed out there. A late round rookie as our only real deep threat is scary, this is a good move. If the drafted kid pans out, then great, Ginn doesn't make the team. But if he doesn't, we have a proven option, and he can still run. Saw him live last year, stupid fast out there still...
Apparently so, he had 30 catches for 421 yards and 14 YPC last year. That was his fifth highest YPC in his 14 years. You don't get that kind of average if you don't still have the wheels.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Between Thomas getting auto targeted for 150, and Brees going down a few games last year, it might look like Ginn lost a step on paper, but he’s still got it. I bet he starts with Robinson and Miller.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

2017 Ginn is an unquestioned starter for this team
We'll see how far he's dropped off. One mostly missed season and one down year since then isn't very clear.

If I had to bet right now, I'd bet that he makes the Opening Day roster, if there is a 2020 season.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Hoog
Player of the Month

Ok at first blush, I liked the signing due to the speed but in looking at it he is only a 53% catch rate guy, which sucks. And for you guys who like Wimms, which I am not, he's horrible at a 50% catch rate. That means every ball thrown to these guys is a coin flip.

If Ginn is used sparingly, I'm alright with it but lets look for a replacement for Wims.
GSH
MVP

Hope he and Wims make the roster, if only so we can say we have Ginn & Juice
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

GSH wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:23 am Hope he and Wims make the roster, if only so we can say we have Ginn & Juice
It's a hard G sound isn't it? :(
wulfy
MVP

Hoog wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:19 am Ok at first blush, I liked the signing due to the speed but in looking at it he is only a 53% catch rate guy, which sucks. And for you guys who like Wimms, which I am not, he's horrible at a 50% catch rate. That means every ball thrown to these guys is a coin flip.

If Ginn is used sparingly, I'm alright with it but lets look for a replacement for Wims.
While 50% is low, guys with bigger YPC numbers historically have lower catch rates as they tend to get targeted deep more often.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:02 pm
Mikefive wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:54 pm Wims... 2018 R7 pick. 6'5". Seems like he belongs, but only 22 career catches.

Last time I checked, Wims is 6'2". He's 220lbs, and I like his size too. But he's not 6'5".
Clearly I was wrong at 6'5". His wikipedia page says he measured 6'2 7/8" at the combine. I'll try to remember 6'3" going forward. But as you said, he's still a big dude.

That page also said he had 6 starts last year with 18 total receptions. Woof. He needs to pick it up in TC. He is on his R7 rookie contract with 2 years left. Might be a guy you could trade for another team's draft pick that isn't working out so well.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

I just don't think this is anything other than a vet being brought in to camp for a tryout. He's not very good anymore.

I think Miller, Robinson, Ridley, C-Pat, and Mooney are the locks. Ginn, Wims (who I want to like, but just never puts it all together), Trevor Davis, Reggie Davis, Ives, and Alex Wesley are all pretty much fighting for one spot.

I suppose if they are considering Patterson a RB then Trevor Davis and Wims have a shot.

I just don't think much of Ginn these days.
Richie
MVP

makaur wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:33 pm
Richie wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:18 pm Ginn is only a punt returner, no? So, that's not Patterson and I don't think Cohen would lose his duties there. I honestly don't think either should. They're both elite in that respect.
To be perfectly honest, the first thing I thought about the Ginn Jr. signing is that he's being brought in specifically to return kicks/punts.

Why? I'm thinking they have some plans for Cohen in the offense, but need him to be fresh.

Sure, most punts are fair caught or kicked out of bounds (or touchbacks) but if there is a return, I'd almost rather the old guy who can still run take the beating for that one play compared to the younger guy who has a greater role in the offense.

If that's the thinking then I kind of like this signing!
Ginn hasn't returned a punt since 17, though and hasn't been a regular punt returner since before that. He's 35. Not exactly burner speed anymore.

Regardless, Cohen has always had a sizeable role in the offense. He can return punts and take on a couple extra touches through that per game (he had 33 the past two years - two per game, roughly). He's not Antonio Brown or another elite DB/WR who had to set aside return duties. He's a pass catching back who plays half the snaps. Not valuable enough to lose an all-pro punt returner.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:57 am I just don't think this is anything other than a vet being brought in to camp for a tryout. He's not very good anymore.

I think Miller, Robinson, Ridley, C-Pat, and Mooney are the locks. Ginn, Wims (who I want to like, but just never puts it all together), Trevor Davis, Reggie Davis, Ives, and Alex Wesley are all pretty much fighting for one spot.

I suppose if they are considering Patterson a RB then Trevor Davis and Wims have a shot.

I just don't think much of Ginn these days.
Agree. I've never been a Ginn fan. I think he was signed to push some of the younger players. I doubt he makes the roster.
spudbear
MVP

My first thought was Pace bringing in someone for the Gabriel role. With Foles in the backfield you have a QB that can complete the +20 yard passes. Until Cohen is used more like Tyreke Hill the Bears do not have a WR to take the deep route. Maybe Miller? The rookie is unproven and as complicated as the Nagy offense is I doubt he sees much time on the field until at least halfway through the season.

Ginn has been on 5 teams, where he spends three seasons (except for ARI) and leaves: MIA, SFO, CAR, NO. With the problems the Saints have at WR depth I'm a little surprised he left the bayou.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

spudbear wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:43 am
Ginn has been on 5 teams, where he spends three seasons (except for ARI) and leaves: MIA, SFO, CAR, NO. With the problems the Saints have at WR depth I'm a little surprised he left the bayou.
Do we actually know he left on his terms and not theirs?