Bears decline Trubisky’s fifth year option

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Prove it year for him or he’s gone.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i dont personally have any interest in relitigating the choice of mitch in the draft 4 years ago, but my biggest concern going into the season was that our staff would double down on mitch. i am glad that they are tacitly admitting the mistake.
docc
Head Coach

Yep... He does well..new contract..Franchise tag..or not...hiway..
IotaNet
MVP

RustyTrubisky wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 3:28 pm i dont personally have any interest in relitigating the choice of mitch in the draft 4 years ago, but my biggest concern going into the season was that our staff would double down on mitch. i am glad that they are tacitly admitting the mistake.
I think Pace had to do this ... his seat is getting awfully hot. He needs to unhook himself from the Trubisky pick as soon as possible to retain any measure of credibility I this town.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Right call.. Franchise/transition tag there as a fail safe if he proves all the doubters wrong. Narrow possibility of leaving a debit in the comp pick category.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Right move IMO
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Well if you didn’t think the Foles contract structure told you what the brass thinks about Mitch, this should.

Foles is the bridge. The next real bears qb is coming in the 2021 draft
xyt in the discord chats
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

Mitch Trubisky is good kid. I will be strongly rooting for him in game one. But sadly I don't think he has what it take to even be an average NFL QB. But I hope he proves me wrong.

But thankfully we will have Foles to the rescue and he will be above average for the Bears, That means, I truly believe, it 's time for:
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Thank goodness. He isn’t worth half of what they would have had to pay. Pace correcting some wrongs, which is good and unfortunate at the same time.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

The Grizzly One wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:49 pm Mitch Trubisky is good kid. I will be strongly rooting for him in game one. But sadly I don't think he has what it take to even be an average NFL QB. But I hope he proves me wrong.

But thankfully we will have Foles to the rescue and he will be above average for the Bears, That means, I truly believe, it 's time for:
I think hes average as QB league wide. Not an average starter, mind you, but average overall.

He has "middling 8 year backup career with fluky good 2028 season" written all over him IMO.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:32 pm Well if you didn’t think the Foles contract structure told you what the brass thinks about Mitch, this should.

A very real possibility. A bad outcome. But a real one.

For the record, I not only like Mitch, I think he'll prove to be a better than average starting NFL QB someday. Maybe more. I just don't know when that time will come. Mitch has always been a long term project and continues to be. It's not uncommon for QBs to take years for the NFL game to slow down for them. The problems are that being the #2 pick comes with expectations that that's not going to happen and our team isn't built to wait.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

dplank
Hall of Famer

Foles has two good years, I’m betting on a third in 2020
G08
Hall of Famer

I think if they picked it up it was $25 million, right? No way in hell you give him that money based on what he has done thus far in his career.

This truly is put up or shut up for Mitch Trubisky.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

The Cooler King wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:52 pm
He has "middling 8 year backup career with fluky good 2028 season" written all over him IMO.
Just hope that "fluky good season" isn't 2020
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 4:30 pm
RustyTrubisky wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 3:28 pm i dont personally have any interest in relitigating the choice of mitch in the draft 4 years ago, but my biggest concern going into the season was that our staff would double down on mitch. i am glad that they are tacitly admitting the mistake.
I think Pace had to do this ... his seat is getting awfully hot. He needs to unhook himself from the Trubisky pick as soon as possible to retain any measure of credibility I this town.
Agree 100%
wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

crueltyabc wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:32 pm.

Tank for Trevor!

Seriously though, we may have to suck Bengals style (which we won’t), or trade up get one of the two only gems in that class - Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields.

Which brings me back to the 2017 draft and what an epic mistake it continues to be.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I think Pace has done enough to keep his job. He's unhitched from Trubisky. He has drafted well on defense. He's good at drafting late round value. He and Nagy seem to have a good rapport. I am also tired of the revolving door at GM and Head Coach. I thing the two have good chemistry. If Mitch doesn't work out, I'm for keeping the current Bears FO as is.
spudbear
MVP

The Grizzly One wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:49 pm Mitch Trubisky is good kid. I will be strongly rooting for him in game one. But sadly I don't think he has what it take to even be an average NFL QB. But I hope he proves me wrong.

Agreed on Mitch, Griz. I got to the point where I'm tired of making excuses for him and settled that he has poor decision making skills. That gets magnified when you're under center and playing at game speed in the NFL, and Mitch does not seem to have it. Yeah, it's possible in a few years he may see the light and improve, just don't know if it will be good enough.

Since you brought it up and I ain't got nothing better to do:

I'm the funky QB and my name is Nick Foles,
I can run hot and I can run cold.
Got a SB MVP on the table,
Another one with the Bears if I'm able,
So I'm here to make it a double,
and we'll repeat the Super Bowl Shuffle.

and now for Trubisky:

Mitchy the kid is how I started,
After 4 years I'm about departed.
Franchise QB and team leader?
I don't know, uh ... um, whatever.
What else can I do for you,
to stay on the Bears shufflin' crew?
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
dplank
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:21 am I think Pace has done enough to keep his job. He's unhitched from Trubisky. He has drafted well on defense. He's good at drafting late round value. He and Nagy seem to have a good rapport. I am also tired of the revolving door at GM and Head Coach. I thing the two have good chemistry. If Mitch doesn't work out, I'm for keeping the current Bears FO as is.
Totally agree
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Obvious move. Bears have said it would be an open competition. If they had signed Trubisky's fifth year option, they would have put a giant "LIE" to that declaration.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Yogi is only guaranteed for injury - so I dont think picking it up would have meant all that much in the grand scheme

But not picking it up - that does send a message IMHO
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I think that picking it up would have told Foles that this wasn't really an open and fair competition, that they want Trubs as the Bear QB next season. Also, I wonder now that we haven't picked up the option, if some other team signs him for enough next season, does that count in the compensatory pick calculation? Probably so, huh?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:46 pm I think that picking it up would have told Foles that this wasn't really an open and fair competition, that they want Trubs as the Bear QB next season. Also, I wonder now that we haven't picked up the option, if some other team signs him for enough next season, does that count in the compensatory pick calculation? Probably so, huh?
It will count for compensatory purposes - Yes.

The option - at least under the old CBA (MItch's year is the last year of that - I THINK) - is SUPER team friendly

If there is a 50-50 chance that Mitch is going to be your Starter then there is an argument to give it - It's just hedging bets - Hence why I didn't think giving it to him would have actually meant much

* I DO have a question on it - It is revocable (ONLY guaranteed for Injury by 2021) - But can you revoke it at ANY time?

I.E. If you pick up the option and Foles just wins the job outright - Could you revoke it Week 1
Or is there language that you have to wait til the 2021 League year?
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:47 pm
Yogi da Bear wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:46 pm I think that picking it up would have told Foles that this wasn't really an open and fair competition, that they want Trubs as the Bear QB next season. Also, I wonder now that we haven't picked up the option, if some other team signs him for enough next season, does that count in the compensatory pick calculation? Probably so, huh?
It will count for compensatory purposes - Yes.

The option - at least under the old CBA (MItch's year is the last year of that - I THINK) - is SUPER team friendly

If there is a 50-50 chance that Mitch is going to be your Starter then there is an argument to give it - It's just hedging bets - Hence why I didn't think giving it to him would have actually meant much

* I DO have a question on it - It is revocable (ONLY guaranteed for Injury by 2021) - But can you revoke it at ANY time?

I.E. If you pick up the option and Foles just wins the job outright - Could you revoke it Week 1
Or is there language that you have to wait til the 2021 League year?
The answer is you aren't revoking it. Once the option is excercized, that's it. The option is done.

What you can do is terminate the players contract (in other words, cut them). And I presume as long as they pass a physical, the guaranteed portion is null and void. But that player is a FA.

Also note that this rule is changing I think for the 2018 class, where it will then be guaranteed fully, not just for injury. Just for future reference.
Richie
MVP

Over this off-season, Pace has shown some willingness to admit mistakes and attempt to right some wrongs.

For that, he deserves credit.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I can't remember who said it or I'd link the clip, but thought it was funny as hell....some NFLN former player was bitching about QB's and how at every other position competition was expected but QB's were treated with kid gloves.
wab
Mod

Right move. But I hope Mitch breaks out and makes it look like a mistake.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:19 am Right move. But I hope Mitch breaks out and makes it look like a mistake.
Ryan Pace hopes that WAY more than you, me and everyone here.

If the light doesn't come on for 10, we're very very likely drafting our new QB somewhere in the bottom half of R1 in 2021 (or spending even more draft capital to move up).

G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:19 am Right move. But I hope Mitch breaks out and makes it look like a mistake.
Agreed. While I think this truly will be an open competition, I do strongly believe that a "tie" will go to Trubisky. Management will want to exhaust giving him every opportunity to succeed, but it's on him to take advantage of that.

If he does "win" the competition, I still think he'll have a short leash to start the season. If he comes out and stinks for the first 3-4 games, I can see him being benched and his career in Chicago being over (save for some sort of injury to Foles).

What has me really curious is how our offense is going to be deployed. Is Nagy going to stick to QB-centric, put everything on the QB's plate and throw the ball 60 percent of the time? Or is he going to focus on running the ball and taking shots off play-action? How much will we be in 12 personnel? That's going to be fascinating to watch develop.

But yeah, I'm with you @wab, I hope the kid has a tremendous season. It is the best possible result for this franchise.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"