I foolishly just tried rewatching Week 15 loss to GB

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

Didn't make it all the way to the end of the 1st quarter and had to turn it off...

1. Our OL was putrid. Just beyond bad. And GB was playing nickle/dime against us, but we couldn't run the ball at all. And it wasn't Cohen or Monty, they just had NOWHERE to go. An absolute embarrasment up front. Coward/Lucas right side was abysmal, and Daniels started the game very poorly.

2. Nagy clearly didn't trust Mitch. All he let him do was throw screens and short outs.

3. The refs are so in the bag for GB, nothing new here. But I got to see that ridiculous punt returner interference call against Patterson - what a joke. A short punt, the guy never calls for a fair catch, he catches the ball and gets popped by Corderelle and fumbles, we recover. Should be a big play for us, but no. Interference is called and GB gets the ball at our 35 and proceeds to score a TD. Dean Blandino does the review of the play and says the refs flat missed the call. Announcers just go along and say "tough break for Chicago", then proceed to lick Erin's anus.

4. Did I mention our OL? Next drive Nagy tries to commit to the run....whoops. Monty is tackled twice in the backfield, once we barely got the handoff. Coward is AWFUL. Just ugly football. We punt, I turn it off.

Ugh. I'm not thinking Ifedi is going to fix that particular problem. OL remains our biggest problem.
Richie
MVP

1. Our OL was putrid. Just beyond bad. And GB was playing nickle/dime against us, but we couldn't run the ball at all. And it wasn't Cohen or Monty, they just had NOWHERE to go. An absolute embarrasment up front. Coward/Lucas right side was abysmal, and Daniels started the game very poorly.
It was never either of our RB's fault. Our run blocking and scheme was putrid all year. No doubt. That's why I laugh at the notion that trading Howard was a mistake. He actually didn't fair any better the year prior.
2. Nagy clearly didn't trust Mitch. All he let him do was throw screens and short outs.
Hmm. I watched this game too, Game Pass is free right now. I thought it was just another typical Mitch 2019 game. He threw short a lot... but not by design. Mitch struggles to see the field, he reacts late constantly and checked the ball down a ton where he could have taken shots for big chunk plays.
3. The refs are so in the bag for GB, nothing new here. But I got to see that ridiculous punt returner interference call against Patterson - what a joke. A short punt, the guy never calls for a fair catch, he catches the ball and gets popped by Corderelle and fumbles, we recover. Should be a big play for us, but no. Interference is called and GB gets the ball at our 35 and proceeds to score a TD. Dean Blandino does the review of the play and says the refs flat missed the call. Announcers just go along and say "tough break for Chicago", then proceed to lick Erin's anus.
The Patterson call was inexcusable and swung the entire game. A potential 14 point swing, seeing as GB went down and scored a TD. That was scoreless game where each team was exchanging punts and then WE MADE the first big play of the game. Instead, they get 15 yards out of it. When it should have been OUR BALL in GB territory taking control of the momentum first.
IE
Hall of Famer

That CPatt call was one of the worst of the season, IMO. Even after replay they still got it so wrong. CPatt is a truly great STer.

IIRC I thought Mitch showed a bit later in that game. He was trying to "will the team to win" a bit, and made some plays. Maybe I was trying too hard to see it. But I thought he did a few things. But after that it kind of fully went away for me.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
dplank
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:02 am That CPatt call was one of the worst of the season, IMO. Even after replay they still got it so wrong. CPatt is a truly great STer.

IIRC I thought Mitch showed a bit later in that game. He was trying to "will the team to win" a bit, and made some plays. Maybe I was trying too hard to see it. But I thought he did a few things. But after that it kind of fully went away for me.
Yea that's how I remember it too IE. That's actually why I chose that game to watch even though I knew we lost and it would be kinda hard. But I wanted to see if Mitch really did as well as I had remembered, IIRC he really showed some guts that day and many folks walked away from that game thinking "well, we lost, but we have our QB". So I just wanted to watch that again. Maybe I'll try again today lol...wife is in the hospital so I have nothing to do.
Richie
MVP

IE wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:02 am That CPatt call was one of the worst of the season, IMO. Even after replay they still got it so wrong.
There was no replay. It's not a reviewable play.

If there had been - we would have won it and been awarded possession. Instead, we just had to sit there and take it.
spudbear
MVP

DP - prayers for a speedy recovery for your wife and that she'll be back soon in your strong arms. I'm guessing they are not allowing you to visit her.
I remember that stupid idiotic putrid interference call, and felt like the game was lost after that. At the time we still had a sliver of playoffs hope, but that game followed by the Mahomes spanking doomed the Bears.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
dplank
Hall of Famer

spudbear wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:00 am DP - prayers for a speedy recovery for your wife and that she'll be back soon in your strong arms. I'm guessing they are not allowing you to visit her.
I remember that stupid idiotic putrid interference call, and felt like the game was lost after that. At the time we still had a sliver of playoffs hope, but that game followed by the Mahomes spanking doomed the Bears.
Thx she's home and fine now, rough patch had gallbladder removed.

The sequence after that call was brutal. They get the ball, our D is playing great, then Hicks reinjures his elbow, GB converts a 4th and 8, and get in for the TD. Nary a word about the blown call that started it all, just praise for Erin and the pack. Gawd I hate them.
IE
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:54 am
IE wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:02 am That CPatt call was one of the worst of the season, IMO. Even after replay they still got it so wrong.
There was no replay. It's not a reviewable play.

If there had been - we would have won it and been awarded possession. Instead, we just had to sit there and take it.
that's right!
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
dplank
Hall of Famer

ok, I got through the rest of the game last night...put it on the condensed game so it flew by.

And as I remembered, Mitch showed a lot of guts in that game. He routinely stepped up in the pocket under pressure and found ARob and Miller. Miller had a monster game! We were way down, 21-3, and Mitch was key to bringing us back. We got jobbed on another play too, 3rd and 6 from the 10 or so yard line, Mitch hits CPatterson tight on the sideline for a first and goal at the 2, but he's called OOB. Replay showed it VERY close, but he looked in. Nagy had already lost a challenge and didn't challenge it, and we settled for 3. Anyhow, Mitch got us back to 21-13, and we had the ball with plenty of time in the 4th.

BUT...........Mitch taketh away. He threw a pick on that possession that essentially sealed the game. Our D played great and stopped them and we got the ball back again, but with time running short Mitch was unable to do anything - he kinda shit the bed there at the end. We managed to get it back AGAIN with almost no time left, and we almost got in the end zone on a trick play which ended at like the 5 yard line, game over.
spudbear
MVP

That game ending was a further gut-punch kick in the teeth too. Hope they return the favor this season.
I also had my gall bladder removed in February. So far so good in not having any aftereffects as far as not being able to eat any particular foods. Hopefully Mrs. DP will be the same.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:02 pm
spudbear wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:00 am DP - prayers for a speedy recovery for your wife and that she'll be back soon in your strong arms. I'm guessing they are not allowing you to visit her.
Thx she's home and fine now, rough patch had gallbladder removed.

The sequence after that call was brutal. They get the ball, our D is playing great, then Hicks reinjures his elbow, GB converts a 4th and 8, and get in for the TD. Nary a word about the blown call that started it all, just praise for Erin and the pack. Gawd I hate them.
Godspeed Dplank there