Akiem Hicks interview

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2020 ... rotest-nfl

“All I will say is this: We saw it. We watched how it unfolded,” Hicks said Wednesday. “And we see that he doesn’t have a job now. This call isn’t to advocate for Kaep getting a job, but he did sacrifice his position for where he is now. His career was ended because of it, in my opinion. We signed Mike Glennon.”

Hicks seemed to blurt that last line out of frustration, but stuck by it when asked about it later by saying, “You heard that, huh? Yeah, I said that. It was a feeling.”

Hicks said it is beyond clear to him that Kaepernick’s decision to kneel during the national anthem in 2016 to protest racial inequality cost him his career. He said he identified with Kaepernick’s cause, but knew he would pay a similar price if he joined him.

“I had the same thought that 85-90 percent of the league felt at that moment: If I get down on one knee in front of this stadium, I am fired; My job, my life, my career is over; I will be blackballed,” he said. “And then, to come out on the other end and watch it actually happen to Kaepernick just tells me that my feelings were real. It was the reality, and hopefully it won’t be going forward.”
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
G08
Hall of Famer

He's not wrong.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

Whatever else you might want to say, Kaepernick certainly backed up his beliefs. He's put his money where his mouth is, and ultimately gave up his career to do what he thought was right.
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
Bad Flanders
MVP

agreed.

doesn't bother me. think we are going to see more of it whether it bothers you or not, so I guess it's time for some people to decide if it bothers them enough to stop watching. Most seem to have come back after the initial outrage last time.
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

Somehow, in the long run, I don't think we've heard the last of Kaep. That would be outside of football.

And let the record show I was the CBfans #1 proponent of signing Kaep.
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
dplank
Hall of Famer

agreed here as well, it's blatantly obvious. Hicks might be my favorite Bear. He gets targeted twice as bad for being big as well black, not something that's talked about much but played a factor in both George Floyd and Eric Garner. I'm literally Akiem Hicks measurables w/height and weight, the only difference is I'm 49 and what he has in his chest, I have in my stomach lol. And just for being big, I've been targeted multiple times. I had a cop pull a gun on me once after he asked me to step out of my car. As I towered over him (he was a tiny dude), he took a step back and said, "I have to arrest you and if you resist at all I'm going to shoot you right here". I never even raised my voice with the guy, just calmly got out of the car as he asked. I'll never forget it. The sticker on my fucking tags were expired. Shit ain't right man.....

Hicks, Kaep, any of them...should do what they think is right without fear of losing their jobs. We have the right not to watch if it bothers us so much. And Fangio is an idiot (if you saw his recent debacle)
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

love you, akiem
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

also akiem dragging mike glennon gave me a huge laugh today that i really needed.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Sign this man to a lifetime contract.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Trashing Glennon is absolutely hilarious
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Several players have kneeled right or wrong. Kaep had a little extra stank on his protest and was one of the recent first.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Taking the knee never bothered me as I understood what it was about. Apparently Drew Brees (who I still admire) still doesn't get it.

Haven't agreed with somethings Kaep has said and did recently, but he has stayed by his convictions.
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

I loath Drew Brees now. I hope he retires and is never heard from again.
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
UOK
Site Admin

So yeah, I'm locking this since it's basically a political conversation which is not a part of this forum's discourse.