Look at the Possible Covid Helmets

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

Luke, I am your father!
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

That was my impression as well:

UOK
Site Admin

I have no idea how those won't be permanently fogged up.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

If Master Chief played for the Bears.
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

Yogi da Bear wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:45 pm That was my impression as well:

Yogi, you and I have been on the same page lately. I don't know if it's the old saying "Two great minds think a like." or if it's "for some reason,"
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

:D
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I dont really get it. The helmet actually looks cool. However I dont really see the purpose.
There are vent holes on the sides in to the front. So it makes it kinda pointless. Now I wont go into the my Rona thoughts. But realistically a colander doesn't catch much water.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:08 am I dont really get it. The helmet actually looks cool. However I dont really see the purpose.
There are vent holes on the sides in to the front. So it makes it kinda pointless. Now I wont go into the my Rona thoughts. But realistically a colander doesn't catch much water.
I agree. Unless the are going to have a self contained air source it doesn’t solve anything. Not to mention all the physical contact
IE
Hall of Famer

Those are cool. They *could* be constructed like the full face snorkeling gear that separates inhale from exhale. And they could incorporate hepa filters to contain pathogens upon exhale.

This is highly feasible. Can they test and produce a solution like this quickly enough I wonder? They could also have similar non-contact masks for meetings, etc.

This may be one of the only ways they can pull off a season - so we should all be behind it.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:47 am
mmmc_35 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:08 am I dont really get it. The helmet actually looks cool. However I dont really see the purpose.
I agree. Unless the are going to have a self contained air source it doesn’t solve anything. Not to mention all the physical contact
Or multilayer N95 or N100 filters in those vents. That's what I'd try if i were designing a plague helmet
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
dplank
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:49 am Those are cool. They *could* be constructed like the full face snorkeling gear that separates inhale from exhale. And they could incorporate hepa filters to contain pathogens upon exhale.

This is highly feasible. Can they test and produce a solution like this quickly enough I wonder? They could also have similar non-contact masks for meetings, etc.

This may be one of the only ways they can pull off a season - so we should all be behind it.
Season looks bleak right now honestly, shit is spiking all over the place again and will only get worse this Fall. FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

IE wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:49 am Those are cool. They *could* be constructed like the full face snorkeling gear that separates inhale from exhale. And they could incorporate hepa filters to contain pathogens upon exhale.
So it would probably sound a bit like this:

Cool.
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

That sounds like Vadar at nap time.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

I think this helmet looks bad-ass.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:32 pm

Season looks bleak right now honestly, shit is spiking all over the place again and will only get worse this Fall. FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK
Well, hospitalizations have not gone up drastically. So hopefully it wont have an impact.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:16 pm

Well, hospitalizations have not gone up drastically. So hopefully it wont have an impact.
I think the hospitalization will be the key number. Lots of the spike in overall numbers are due to increased testing so we are finding many people who never would have shown they had it.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:40 pm
mmmc_35 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:16 pm

I think the hospitalization will be the key number. Lots of the spike in overall numbers are due to increased testing so we are finding many people who never would have shown they had it.
Statistics dont lie but liars use statistics. The Rona has that quote embedded in its RNA.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Just picked my wife up from the hospital this morning - just a minor follow up from a prior surgery. Anyhow, nurses said they were overrun with severe Covid cases. Said it's the worst it's been since it all started and they had patients in "non-contained" areas now because they simply had too much overflow to deal with.

I live in Palm Beach, Florida. This sucks. Stay safe everyone.
UOK
Site Admin

Unless this directly relates to the uniform, please discuss pandemic-y stuff in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14185
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

That helmet may look cool. But it looks like it would be hot as hell and restrict breathing. Some guys wear Breathe Right strips to be able to take in more air. Restricting air will be really bad for players.

Healthy 20-30 somethings are at a very low risk for having Rona badly affect them. I say let the players decide what they want to do. If they don't want to take on the risk, give them the year off without pay. If they want to wear a mask or that Rona helmet, they can certainly do that. If they want to take the risk and play without any kind of mask, that's also an option. Let them decide what's important to them.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I feel like the helmets are more along the lines of the current masks they're asking us to wear. Less about filtering the intake and more about keeping down the amount of droplets coming out.
Wounded Bear
MVP

In the entire course of practices, weight rooms, pile-ups, inevitable touching of one's own face - those helmet masks won't prevent a thing. Those masks are the NFL's PR campaign to show that they are taking "necessary precautions." Ultimately meaningless precautions. Most of the players will get Covid and over 99.9% will survive because they are young and healthy.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
wulfy
MVP

These helmet designs are fake anyways.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/nfl-n ... 19-helmet/

This is a more accurate view of what the league is working on:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/05/20/ ... cal-masks/
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Wounded Bear wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:50 am In the entire course of practices, weight rooms, pile-ups, inevitable touching of one's own face - those helmet masks won't prevent a thing. Those masks are the NFL's PR campaign to show that they are taking "necessary precautions." Ultimately meaningless precautions. Most of the players will get Covid and over 99.9% will survive because they are young and healthy.
I would agree with all of that thoroughly, until the very end.

Being 300 pounds isn't good for your health.
And some of the substances players use could also be problematic for them.
https://www.healio.com/news/rheumatolog ... re-covid19
(And, of course, it glosses over the more vulnerable people they will pass it on to, including family members.)

Also, the NFL has over 2000 players, plus coaches, trainers, etc. If, hypothetically, that rough estimate was correct - half get it, 99.9% survive, .1% don't, that would still result in at least 1 death, which could be a real PR nightmare (aside from the human tragedy that the rich guys in charge don't give a shit about).

Another question I would ask is: if there's sporadic outbreaks and a team has 20 guys sidelined for a game - is that going to be an enjoyable viewing experience, watching a severely shorthanded team get thrashed?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

The ugly TRUTH Moriarty. I still think either an effective vaccine or an immunity test that is true will save the season. Not inspiring, but we have to live in reality and right now it's ugly.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Moriarty wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:25 am
Wounded Bear wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:50 am In the entire course of practices, weight rooms, pile-ups, inevitable touching of one's own face - those helmet masks won't prevent a thing. Those masks are the NFL's PR campaign to show that they are taking "necessary precautions." Ultimately meaningless precautions. Most of the players will get Covid and over 99.9% will survive because they are young and healthy.

(And, of course, it glosses over the more vulnerable people they will pass it on to, including family members.)

Also, the NFL has over 2000 players, plus coaches, trainers, etc. If, hypothetically, that rough estimate was correct - half get it, 99.9% survive, .1% don't, that would still result in at least 1 death, which could be a real PR nightmare (aside from the human tragedy that the rich guys in charge don't give a shit about).

Another question I would ask is: if there's sporadic outbreaks and a team has 20 guys sidelined for a game - is that going to be an enjoyable viewing experience, watching a severely shorthanded team get thrashed?
Some very good points about spreading it to family members and coaches who may not be in peak condition. Fuck the NFL PR nightmare, I wouldn't even begin to know what to say to a player or coach who lost a loved-one for a game you play with a ball.

I think we need to ask the real question here. What if there isn't a vaccine for this virus? They have been working on a SARS vaccine (which Covid is in that family) for the last 10 years. Why do we think they will come up with one now? Or why do we think they will come up with one ten years from now? Not to mention that viruses are constantly mutating to survive.

I'm not saying "hey fuck it, just play the game. I'm bored." Disband the NFL for all I care, I'll be fine. But I think we're fools to think that since we all really want or really need a vaccine that one will all of a sudden materialize.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Richie
MVP

There's really not more cases. There's more testing. Hospitalizations have stayed within the same ball park for a little while.
Richie
MVP

Wounded Bear wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:19 am
Moriarty wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:25 am

Some very good points about spreading it to family members and coaches who may not be in peak condition. Fuck the NFL PR nightmare, I wouldn't even begin to know what to say to a player or coach who lost a loved-one for a game you play with a ball.

I think we need to ask the real question here. What if there isn't a vaccine for this virus? They have been working on a SARS vaccine (which Covid is in that family) for the last 10 years. Why do we think they will come up with one now? Or why do we think they will come up with one ten years from now? Not to mention that viruses are constantly mutating to survive.

I'm not saying "hey fuck it, just play the game. I'm bored." Disband the NFL for all I care, I'll be fine. But I think we're fools to think that since we all really want or really need a vaccine that one will all of a sudden materialize.
These questions can be answered with very basic use of the google machine.

SARS is a horrible comparison to COVID-19. Invention is born out of necessity. The SARS outbreak was contained in July 2003. Since 2004, there have not been any known cases of SARS reported anywhere in the world. We don't need a vaccine.

SARS was first reported in Asia in February 2003. The illness spread to 29 countries, where 8,096 people got SARS and 774 of them died. It was contained 5 months later. It was never even a blimp on the radar relative to COVID-19.

Not only have there already been trials for the COVID-19 vaccine. There's been positive data to report back from them.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/early-tri ... d=71564008

While the manufacturer has not given a specific release date, Dormitzer assured ABC News Pfizer is "currently on track" to meet the goal of producing 100 million doses by the end of the year and another 1.2 billion doses in 2021.

"The goal that we've set is to distribute millions of vaccine doses in 2020 and executing on that, of course, means everything has to go well,"
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:36 am Not only have there already been trials for the COVID-19 vaccine. There's been positive data to report back from them.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/early-tri ... d=71564008

While the manufacturer has not given a specific release date, Dormitzer assured ABC News Pfizer is "currently on track" to meet the goal of producing 100 million doses by the end of the year and another 1.2 billion doses in 2021.

"The goal that we've set is to distribute millions of vaccine doses in 2020 and executing on that, of course, means everything has to go well,"
Speaking in broader terms, there's some encouraging developments on the vaccine front. Maybe that goes well, maybe not.

However, staying on topic and speaking purely in terms of a hypothetical 2020 NFL season, there's very little reason to think a vaccine would be a factor.

The timelines given in the article are:
  • Oxford's vaccine is reportedly the farthest along as it is currently in phase 3 of trials and has enlisted over 10,000 volunteers. The early results found the trial to be safe and effective in emergency doses and could be ready for development by October
  • Pfizer is "currently on track" to meet the goal of producing 100 million doses by the end of the year and another 1.2 billion doses in 2021 (which I suspect means "100M/month, starting in December")
  • If the trials are a success, Moderna said it hopes to have doses ready by early 2021
And those are all the super-rosy best-case scenarios: "executing on that, of course, means everything has to go well", as he says in the article.
For example, the Oxford is in Phase 3 and typically 30-40% of drugs that reach that stage still fail to get final approval. (The odds might go up somewhat, in that funding based failures shouldn't happen in this situation. But the odds also get worse in that other drugs haven't been rushed through 1 & 2, either.)

If the best case played out and the NFL could get it's hands on a vaccine Nov 1, would they wait that long, and what kind of season would that look like?
I don't see them doing that at all. Normally, teams report in 3 weeks, not 4 months.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.