Which WR......?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Umbali
MVP

So we know that Arob and Miller and most likely Ginn will be on the team. Which WR would you love to see turn into a stud?

I have always loved the potential of Wims, but i would LOVE to see Ridely turn into if not a beast at the very least a key part of the offense.

Who is the guy you want to see break out?

as a side note obviously this hinges on Miller breaking out and being what we drafted him to be. You can even pick him as your choice.

T/Es are a whole different topic lol
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
dplank
Hall of Famer

Yea...Miller then. He's a very, very key player for us. I think he's primed to breakout, but he's gotta stay healthy - that shoulder worries me.
IE
Hall of Famer

I love everything about Miller except for his shoulder. He is truly explosive - he makes things happen. If medical science can keep him on the field he could really break out. It wouldn't be surprising to see a healthy Miller put up 90-100 for 11-1200.

Like many I was intrigued by Wims. But he disappointed last year with his production/catch rate.

I'd really like to see Ridley and the rookie Mooney delivery some goods this year. Doesn't have to be a ton - just show you're a legit threat when you're out there occasionally. I've never been a big Ginn fan but he's a professional and I see value there if he can mentor Mooney (and Miller for that matter).

With a better commitment to the run game, the fresh set of TEs and also Cohen, there aren't a ton of extra looks to divide up between the rest of the WRs. So I see most production coming from those top two, Ridley being the backup to them, and Ginn stretching the field (occasionally Mooney).

I'm going to guess Wims doesn't make the team, after his 50% catch rate outing last year.

I'll add this: IF both Wims and Ridley make the team this year and they keep 6 WRs ... I think that means they're strongly considering not paying AR.
Last edited by IE on Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

So I'm a lot more bullish on Mitch than most. I think he will turn it on this year and I think we will have our OL fix. But outside ARob and Miller and don't think we see a ton of production. I starting putting down what I think could happen and I guess I've had a ton of Kool-Aid as of late because this is what I came up with:

ARob: 100 catches for 1200 yards and 9 TDs (he's shown IMO he's a true #1 and these aren't crazy numbers)

Miller: 70-800-8 (year 3 is a year WR tend to "come of age" let's see him do it)

Wimms and Ridely: 40-400-4 (Each of them will fall close to that with neither really taking a grasp on WR#3)

Ginn: 25-300-2 (Old man with have a few moments but that's all)

Mooney: 20-350-2 (Just gets a few player here and there but will have a couple that are huge gains)

Graham: 40-300-4 (Old man plays but nothing we go crazy over)

Kmet: 20-175-2 (They get him into the game the "blocking TE" hoping next year he grows into a bigger role)

Now those are insane number for a Chicago passing game. 3905 yards and 35 TDs before we throw in the RBs (which is where I see Patterson playing most). So we would blow way past the the 4000-40 mark.

It's preseason without any camps, OTAs or anything else to show us what's wrong, so why not live a little. :welcome:
IE
Hall of Famer

That's 355 receptions you're projecting without 29's 50 (at least) and 32's 35-40.

So ~450 total receptions means ~700 attempts by Mitch Trubisky and/or Nick Foles. If that happens I don't really see good results this season. They need more balance in the offense, not less.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I'll also vote for Mooney. It sure would be nice to see the Bears land another late round gem! Pace seems to excel in these rounds, and this kid has the speed to get deep. If Mooney surprises his rookie year and breaks out, we're in for a big year IMO.
Richie
MVP

I am higher on our top two guys than most are. I think ARob is 100% elite and that Miller has been itching to breakout. Miller sort of did in the 2nd half of last season after Gabriel went down. Both have been held back tremendously by poor QB/offensive play. I'll digress - as I've already launched into this debate recently.

Really, I'm higher on our skills players than most are. I still firmly believe that Cohen is a great weapon. Just that he's simply not going to create for himself. He needs space to run and when the filed is as congested as it was last year. Between our line play dropping off and no one respecting our passing game. He starts to look like a liability. He's a big asset in the passing game and the passing game was a total trainwreck in 2019.

Cohen is the kind of a guy who is a highlight reel sensation in a functioning offense and just useless if you stink. He's not a facilitator... but insert him into an offense like KC and he would be a star.

Similar sentiments with Montgomery. He really didn't have a shot.

Wims has shown some signs of serviceability. Not much else. I still have hopes for Ridley. I think Mooney could realistically wind-up Johnny Knox part duex. Minus the spinal injury, of course.

There's pieces here. It's not an offense void of skill talent. We just need the guy throwing the ball to be better and for the guys up front to block better.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

IE wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:02 am That's 355 receptions you're projecting without 29's 50 (at least) and 32's 35-40.

So ~450 total receptions means ~700 attempts by Mitch Trubisky and/or Nick Foles. If that happens I don't really see good results this season. They need more balance in the offense, not less.
I SAID I WAS DRINKING TOO MUCH KOOL-AID.

IT'S A CRY FOR HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I NEED THE WORLD TO RETURN TO "NORMAL" AS MY BRAIN IS TIED UP LIKE A PRETZEL. :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated:

Or it means the system comes together and Mitch is completing 75% of his passes so that's only 600 attempts.

Sorry had a few more drinks after my all cap rant. :evilgrin: :evilgrin:
dplank
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:07 pm I am higher on our top two guys than most are. I think ARob is 100% elite and that Miller has been itching to breakout. Miller sort of did in the 2nd half of last season after Gabriel went down. Both have been held back tremendously by poor QB/offensive play. I'll digress - as I've already launched into this debate recently.

Really, I'm higher on our skills players than most are. I still firmly believe that Cohen is a great weapon. Just that he's simply not going to create for himself. He needs space to run and when the filed is as congested as it was last year. Between our line play dropping off and no one respecting our passing game. He starts to look like a liability. He's a big asset in the passing game and the passing game was a total trainwreck in 2019.

Cohen is the kind of a guy who is a highlight reel sensation in a functioning offense and just useless if you stink. He's not a facilitator... but insert him into an offense like KC and he would be a star.

Similar sentiments with Montgomery. He really didn't have a shot.

Wims has shown some signs of serviceability. Not much else. I still have hopes for Ridley. I think Mooney could realistically wind-up Johnny Knox part duex. Minus the spinal injury, of course.

There's pieces here. It's not an offense void of skill talent. We just need the guy throwing the ball to be better and for the guys up front to block better.
Cohen was misused last year IMO and I'm really hoping Nagy gets it. Cohen is not a WR, he just isn't. He's too short and can't overcome that with blazing straight line speed, he's more quick than fast with excellent 'wiggle'. He can create a little space on short routes cause of his quick change of direction ability, but that's about it. Most of Cohen's big plays in his first 3 years came from out of the backfield, when there's some doubt of handoff vs pass and you can get him matched up with a LB who has no chance staying with him. But when you split him out wide and have a defensive back covering him, he doesn't win. It's too predictable and he is effectively neutered. Cohen, despite his size, is a natural RB and needs to play there.

We have plenty at WR IMO, I'd like to see fewer touches for Cohen but more out of the backfield with more disguise for greater impact/more big plays. And instead of running Cohen out there in 4 or 5 WR sets, put Cohen in the backfield on a 4 WR set (which gives a disguised run or delayed route out of the backfield a great shot at busting open), or put 4 WR's plus Graham since he's basically a big WR anyways...ARob, Miller, Mooney, Ridley, Graham.

The more I think about this, the more I'm liking the Graham signing.
IE
Hall of Famer

Hehe Ark - that was awesome. Cheers!

I agree on Cohen - that he is not a WR in the sense that he is not very versatile. The curls, the bubble screens with Cohen... hate them. Give me a frequent wheel route... or screens where 29 is actually moving.
dplank
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:10 am Hehe Ark - that was awesome. Cheers!

I agree on Cohen - that he is not a WR in the sense that he is not very versatile. The curls, the bubble screens with Cohen... hate them. Give me a frequent wheel route... or screens where 29 is actually moving.
Cohen is such a threat on screens...he's patient with them and once his blockers ID their man he accelerates fast and the D is in all sorts of trouble. We really sucked at blocking screens last year (or maybe it was in disguising them, not sure). Gotta get better at that, if teams are gonna T off on our QB that's a big way you make them pay.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I'm hope both Cohen and Patterson are used better by Nagy. Both can be difference makers but I think both require the coaches to scheme it up correctly for them. Cohen, as stated, doesn't have a WR's body so you have to design things to get him the ball in space and let him do what he does. Patterson has always been hard for me to understand. He has great size and great speed. In fact he may be one of the best size to speed ratio guys in the NFL. But he's never been able to just go lineup wide and be productive. The Pats did a lot of good things with him (I think he got like 75 touches with a ton of those having him lined up in the backfield). Hopefully, the coaches look at that tape and bring some of it here. Getting the running game will be key to the passing game opening up of course, but at that same time if we can get them involved in the passing on shorter passes that also should help the WRs as they go deep.
Umbali
MVP

Based on what I read today about how our TE's performed, it would be really nice to see that open up other things for our smaller guys with speed. Having that TE threat is huge for the rest of the O
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
IE
Hall of Famer

I think with CPatt the issue is he just isn't a WR, outside of being fast and having a great body (lol). I think he probably struggles with footwork the nuances of WR skill. He can stretch the field *a little* but not really that much.

Where he's really valuable is once he has the football in his hands, and the opposition is in front of him. That's why he's so effective on kickoffs. Once he has the ball in his hands he becomes surprisingly elusive, sees the field & makes good decisions, in addition to being a freaking freight train that smaller men think twice about stepping in front of. He's a slightly smaller version of Derek Henry. There is a reason he has a career rushing average over 5 ypc (I think close to 6!) on a fairly substantial number of rushes for a "WR". And conventional rushes - not end arounds. I hope they deploy CPatt as a frequent running back on the regular. It's what he is, mostly. Besides being a ST God.
IE
Hall of Famer

Agreed on the TEs. Jimmy Graham is just a big WR. It is encouraging to hear what we're hearing about him. But it IS training camp... so grain of salt.

I want to see my boy Jesper out there. Dang no preseason... guess that isn't going to happen much! :)
IE
Hall of Famer

HOLY CRAP - I just saw CPatt moving to RB on the Bears' site! That's AWESOME!
wab
Mod

I've thought for a long time that Patterson is a much better fit at RB. I mean even back to Tenessee. I just think every team he's been on has had a relatively established RB, so teams had to get him on the field somehow, and WR/KR was the best way to do it.

I think the Bears could have a really effective 3 headed attack at RB with these guys.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

wab wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:11 am I've thought for a long time that Patterson is a much better fit at RB. I mean even back to Tenessee. I just think every team he's been on has had a relatively established RB, so teams had to get him on the field somehow, and WR/KR was the best way to do it.

I think the Bears could have a really effective 3 headed attack at RB with these guys.
I agree. When he lines up in the backfield, good things happen.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:24 am HOLY CRAP - I just saw CPatt moving to RB on the Bears' site! That's AWESOME!
Sort of? Probably?
https://www.chicagobears.com/news/patte ... w-position

It think they'll still use him in a variety of ways, but the HB work may go up.
During the first two days of padded practices in training camp, the Bears coaching staff has experimented with Patterson in a new role, one in which he mostly plays running back.

"I think it'll be our job as coaches to make sure that however we decide to use Cordarrelle that we think is best," said coach Matt Nagy, "we'll go ahead and do that, but there's different ways throughout his career that he's had success."

The team roster still lists Patterson as a wide receiver, and Patterson still wears number 84. However, the eighth-year pro has spent the week taking handoffs from quarterbacks Mitchell Trubisky and Nick Foles and running drills with the team's running backs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_ ... ent_system
I guess he doesn't have to change numbers, regardless of their plans for him. So 84 may or may not mean anything.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

Yeah, Hester kept 23 when he moved to WR. Ty Montgomery moved from WR to RB and kept 88.

It's a weird OCD pet peeve of mine when they keep the same number after a position switch. IDK why it bothers me.