Trubisky - Kyle Fuller 2.0???

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

https://sportsmockery.com/2020/08/mitch ... 17-season/

It is rather similar how their careers have gone through their first 3 years and then the 5th year isn't picked up.

But the main reason I posted it is that it has highlights from his rookie pre-season games. I get he is playing against guys many of whom didn't make an NFL roster. But he goes through progress, he hits guys in stride, he HITS OPEN WR. (oh yeah there is a Keven White sighting about the 4 minute mark where he runs by a guy who just caught a pass and got tackled).

Where did those basic things go last year???

My take - he was clean shaven back then and now sports a tight beard. Loss the beard Mitch and your play will improve.
Richie
MVP

Fuller's situation was a lot different from Mitch. Fuller had some mysterious hip injury and never played a down in 2016. It really put him in the doghouse with the FO/staff from what I remember.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Richie wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:05 am Fuller's situation was a lot different from Mitch. Fuller had some mysterious hip injury and never played a down in 2016. It really put him in the doghouse with the FO/staff from what I remember.
Sure. Clearly the "why" behind how they performed is vastly different. But like it still confuses me how rookie Mitch appeared to read defenses, go through his progress and make more accurate throws than the guy we say last year. The "tape" in the piece makes you think he's a stud (again preseason but last year if he found a guy wide open, he very well might airmail it 10 feet over his head)>
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:05 am
Richie wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:05 am Fuller's situation was a lot different from Mitch. Fuller had some mysterious hip injury and never played a down in 2016. It really put him in the doghouse with the FO/staff from what I remember.
Sure. Clearly the "why" behind how they performed is vastly different. But like it still confuses me how rookie Mitch appeared to read defenses, go through his progress and make more accurate throws than the guy we say last year. The "tape" in the piece makes you think he's a stud (again preseason but last year if he found a guy wide open, he very well might airmail it 10 feet over his head)>
We ran a lot more then, and teams had no tape on him. Both of which probably made progressions and defensive formations easier.

A little tape showing where he struggles and a crap run game along with a leaky offensive line made them a one dimensional offense.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Too hard to compare to the positions IMO. QB is the epicenter of the team. A team is far more reliant on the QB than a CB. The QB has to be the shit. He has to have command of the O, the scheme, the huddle. Far more involved and less mistakes need to come from that position. I can't see it just clicking, complete reversal of what we have seen. Training camp doesn't really mean shit in my eyes, especially without pre season games.
wab
Mod

southdakbearfan wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:16 am

We ran a lot more then
I think you mean Trubisky ran a lot more then. In reality, I think the Bears only had an average of 3 less rushing attempts per game by RB's last season than they did in 2018. Trubisky ran around 70 times for almost 425 yards in 2018 and only like like half that last season.

That was a big, and often overlooked, part of what made Mitch successful in 2018
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

wab wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:03 am

We ran a lot more then
I think you mean Trubisky ran a lot more then. In reality, I think the Bears only had an average of 3 less rushing attempts per game by RB's last season than they did in 2018. Trubisky ran around 70 times for almost 425 yards in 2018 and only like like half that last season.

That was a big, and often overlooked, part of what made Mitch successful in 2018
Ok, we ran a lot more successfully then. Dumped off more successfully. Had TE production, etc etc.

And I was actually referring to his rookie year as the OP indicated he thought trubisky went through his reads more then.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

We ran a lot more then

Excellent point. It wasn't as much run production as it was situational success. He made a lot of his dandy scrambles on 3rd and 8 to keep drives alive.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Richie
MVP

Do you mean year #2? His rookie year was 2017 and he was pretty damn rough around the edges. Granted, no one was open and our best receivers were Dontrelle Inman and Tarik Cohen. lol. This with Inman only being with us for half of a season.

That being said, do you really remember him looking like a "legit franchise QB" throwing the ball outside of his big 3ish games in 18? Then, maybe one game in 2017 and 2019? I don't.

Following his progression - 2019 was about right to me. Which was why I could never totally hop on the Mitch wagon. I was optimistic, but always had "one foot on the platform and the other on the train" as they say. When you take away Mitch's ability to pickup 1st downs with his legs and really dare him to throw the ball downfield? He doesn't have much to offer.

I think the same result would have occurred in 2018 if he was defended that way. If you recall, he struggled in the 2nd half of that season as well. Our offensive drop-off actually started a around mid-season that year. We kept winning... but our only solid game offensively after Detroit in October was the clinching GB game in December. And that GB team was pretty poor.
Richie
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:22 pm

Ok, we ran a lot more successfully then. Dumped off more successfully. Had TE production, etc etc.

And I was actually referring to his rookie year as the OP indicated he thought trubisky went through his reads more then.
I think our YPC by RB's in 18 and 19 was almost identical.

The running numbers and averages were only better because of Mitch's rushing, as mentioned.

We didn't run more successfully. He did.

EDIT: Oh, 2017 under Fox?

Yeah, we ran like a 1990's offense that season. lol

I also don't think he necessarily looked better in his reads. He got happy feet a ton and looked terrible under duress. That Eagles game was easily the worst of his career.
G08
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:01 am https://sportsmockery.com/2020/08/mitch ... 17-season/

But the main reason I posted it is that it has highlights from his rookie pre-season games. I get he is playing against guys many of whom didn't make an NFL roster. But he goes through progress, he hits guys in stride, he HITS OPEN WR. (oh yeah there is a Keven White sighting about the 4 minute mark where he runs by a guy who just caught a pass and got tackled).

Where did those basic things go last year???
Watch his feet/footwork and balance as he goes into his throwing motion. He has regressed tremendously in that regard.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
dplank
Hall of Famer

I dunno, I don't like what I'm hearing from the snippets we are getting. The thing with Mitch is that what he seems to struggle with are more natural/native type traits, like reading/adjusting in real time and field instincts. If you watched EJax's NFLN film show with Baldinger, you'll notice how many times EJax can't even really explain why he's doing certain things, he keeps just referring to "instinct" and how he "just knew" that this or that was about to happen and so he got a quick break on it. He talks about "feel" a lot. That natural feel for the game is what drew me to Watson. Mitch is a better athlete than Watson, has a stronger arm too, and has all the personality traits of a winner - but Watson is just a baller, like Russell Wilson. You can't teach that. There's no point relitigating that, I really don't care anymore, but it's the easiest comp / way to explain why I don't think Mitch will ever realize his potential.

"Feel for the game" is exactly what Mitch lacks, and all the chalk boards in the world won't fix it IMO, everything is mechanical. I have tried to attribute some of that to "overcoaching", but I really don't give him a pass because of the lack of experience. Some guys have it, some guys don't, and if he had it it would have revealed itself long ago IMO. What makes this worse is that it tends to reveal itself moreso under live fire than during protected practices, so Mitch tends to look better than he'll actually play on Sundays. This is where no preseason games really hurts us (or any team that has a serious position battle on their hands, esp at QB).