Nagy

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

I don’t know why but I have a lot of confidence in him. I really want him to be a great one, the Bears need a break already. His career is at an early inflection point, he moves to the top of the league if we have a big year IMO, and would be on the hot seat if we suck. A lot of pressure on him right now and I think he’s handling it great.
DevilsProspect
Pro Bowler

Nagy is a likable person, plus he seems to have a pretty good football mind. He seems to have motivation skills.

However, I think he needs to learn not to be so stubborn and “creative “ with his play calling. Maybe stubborn is the wrong word, maybe he needs it. I remember that one game last year when he abandoned the run in a close game. He ran it something like 6 times the entire game. I can see if your team is down several scores you pull back on runs because you need some big plays. But if I recall the Bears were only down but one score or so. I was thinking the whole time, just keep running it and maybe run a play action.

Also, I can’t even remember which game... But I recall it being 3rd and 1, he puts Patterson in to run up the gut! I know hindsight is 20/20. However even before the failed attempt, I was already loosing it thinking why isn’t Montgomery taking this? Montgomery is good at one major thing, fighting for that extra yard.

Anyway, I like Nagy. I just feel he needs to stop being so cute with plays and get a little more traditional. Once they can handle the basics, then add that sexy play here and there.

Obviously we know very little to what they know, it’s just the eye test from an armchair QB. Lol

Hope he can get this team moving in the right direction this year.
AC 46Blitz
IE
Hall of Famer

I really like Nagy in terms of his leadership and team building. It is a big deal for a young coach to not lose his team when things are going south. It is a testament to Nagy that his players stand in solidarity behind him.

I think we're all naturally impatient and want to see Nagy's best right now. But he's super young and still learning. He's made a number of mistakes, and we know he is capable of learning from his mistakes because we've seen him make changes even within a season or from game to game.

Instead of hanging on to some unfortunate play calls (or probably better described as play outcomes), I'm personally staying optimistic about what we're going to see going forward. I think there is evidence that the GM and coaches are highly aware of the team's shortcomings from last year, assessed the root causes and opportunities, and made the best moves they could to prepare for this year.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
G08
Hall of Famer

I love him as a leader of men, and I don't think he's the type to let his ego get the best of him when it comes to staffing/scheme.

I'm really curious to see how different the offense is going to be this season.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Umbali
MVP

I agree with the sentiment that he is a great leader and has done a great job with the culture of the team. I also agree that he gets too cute sometimes but again he is a young coach and all coaches have growing pains. I see enuf good in him to want to be patient. The teams that are always changing coaches are also always rebuilding and never turn into winners. Trust in the process and hopefully the good we have seen happen can become the norm.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

If Nagy got a little too big for his britches, I think 2019 slapped the humble back into him. At least I hope it did.