Status of practices; how tall can a TE be; other stuff

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

So I'm just going to throw several unrelated topics into this thread rather than bog down the front screen with several topics.

First of can anyone confirm the status of Bear practices going forward. Seem like I heard that Saturday was the last practice the media could attend and today was the last day in pads. If that correct, it's going to be a long 10 days with little media coverage and likely nothing new that can occur to help settle the QB position.

Speaking of the QB race, it seems like the past few day I run across a new piece by some expert saying that Mitch looking in good is a red herring. They argue it's the same old song and once the lights come on at game speed he will fall apart. I think that's a crap take. While Allen Iverson correctly pointed out "we in here talking about practice. I mean, listen, we're talking about practice" and Mitch could fold when it's all on the line. All reports last year was he was awful in practice last year constantly throwing picks (Nagy tried to sugar coat it). So this year hearing he is doing good is great news.

I haven't heard much about Mack, Jr. Anyone have anything? Bueller? Bueller? I hate when we move guys from spot to spot, but I think he may be better suited moving to one of the inside spots as he doesn't seem to have the size he needs to hold the edge. I would pointy out that I had flags on Aaron Donald coming out as I thought he was too short to dominate in the middle of a DL (so take my thoughts with a grain of salt) (but note I don't have a maximum height for a TE - inside joke for the CBFans refugees).

Speaking of the refugees, anyone seen Apple? I miss our librarian. He would have been all our Fournett.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

1) We're going to need you to do some recon

2) I don't remember practice reports being particularly harsh last year. I won't swear to it, but my recollection is the Bears said endlessly rosy stuff and there were only whispers of "Eh, not really" out there if you looked.

3) Yeah, I'm really dubious about Lite being able to handle 34 OLB, too.
Despite their ridiculous numbers for him on the official site (6'1 240 - who the fuck are you guys trying to kid?), he was 5107 234 at his pro day and people have Internet to look these things up.
It's not unprecedented
https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/n ... ion-101916
but I think ILB seems a little better fit. Maybe WLB in a 43 would be even better.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
UOK
Site Admin

Only thing I've read about Mack's little brother is there's no sure way he'll make the roster. Thinks he should qualify based on special teams experience.
Hero
Player of the Month

Here is some L. Mack stuff.

[video][/video]

[video][/video]
G08
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:16 pm So I'm just going to throw several unrelated topics into this thread rather than bog down the front screen with several topics.

First of can anyone confirm the status of Bear practices going forward. Seem like I heard that Saturday was the last practice the media could attend and today was the last day in pads. If that correct, it's going to be a long 10 days with little media coverage and likely nothing new that can occur to help settle the QB position.

Speaking of the QB race, it seems like the past few day I run across a new piece by some expert saying that Mitch looking in good is a red herring. They argue it's the same old song and once the lights come on at game speed he will fall apart. I think that's a crap take. While Allen Iverson correctly pointed out "we in here talking about practice. I mean, listen, we're talking about practice" and Mitch could fold when it's all on the line. All reports last year was he was awful in practice last year constantly throwing picks (Nagy tried to sugar coat it). So this year hearing he is doing good is great news.

I haven't heard much about Mack, Jr. Anyone have anything? Bueller? Bueller? I hate when we move guys from spot to spot, but I think he may be better suited moving to one of the inside spots as he doesn't seem to have the size he needs to hold the edge. I would pointy out that I had flags on Aaron Donald coming out as I thought he was too short to dominate in the middle of a DL (so take my thoughts with a grain of salt) (but note I don't have a maximum height for a TE - inside joke for the CBFans refugees).

Speaking of the refugees, anyone seen Apple? I miss our librarian. He would have been all our Fournett.
I think tomorrow (Thursday) is a light practice, Nagy calls it a 10-10-10. I belive the players are then off Friday and Saturday at which point they will return on Sunday.

Nagy said he's going to throttle back and with his offensive coaches watch every single rep of the QBs in camp and determine who is going to be their starter.

It is going to be a slow and painful 10 days:

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

IE
Hall of Famer

God, I love that Animal House.... lol ... "you fucked up - you trusted us!" (one of my favorite all-time movie lines)

I think the max height for a receiving TE is 6'8" (Harold Carmichael) with the height of a blocking TE a bit lower for obvious reasons. :)

I think Ladarius makes the PS with no question for only one reason. And I'm fine with that.

IIRC the talk from camp last year was that Mitch was going to light it up - that there WERE errors in TC but that was Nagy pushing him and not reflective. And now I'm back to my favorite quote....
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:20 pm
I think Ladarius makes the PS with no question for only one reason. And I'm fine with that.
I'd be surprised if they did that purely for kissass reasons.
Casey Urlacher and Luke Butkus got camp invites, but no roster or ps gifts.

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:51 am
IE wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:20 pm
I agree with that, but I think he still makes it. Tom Thayer reported he has looked good in camp
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:55 pm
Moriarty wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:51 am

I agree with that, but I think he still makes it. Tom Thayer reported he has looked good in camp
Yeah, legit earning it is something else. That could very well happen - we've gotten to see absolutely nothing of what he can and can't do and the PS is big this year. It's just giving it to him without him deserving it that would surprise me. (Theoretically speaking. Practically speaking, of course, we'd never know for sure what their rationale was and it might be tough to even have a good suspicion, with no tape to watch.)