Ongoing "Bears should sign this guy who just got cut" thread

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

Figure a lot of this is coming...I'll start with two to consider.

Matt Gay - Surprise cut from Tampa, thought he did pretty good last year. He has a much bigger leg than Eddie or Cairo, I'd take him in a heart beat.

Adrian Peterson - Cut from Washington. This might be a better option than Fournette or Kamara were for us, since he's clearly a backup player who could shine in short stretches if called upon. Would be a nice depth piece. Very low cost, 1 year and gone type deal - just the sort of thing we should be looking for.
Iguana
Practice Squad

I'd take a look at AP
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Gay was a guy i was high on coming out of college - not a 5ht round pick high, but I did like him.

He missed a 30ish yarder to pull a defeat from the jaws of victory vs. the G-Men and nose dived at the end of the year (something missing 6 of 8 FGs down the stretch). That said I like him more as an insurance policy vs. Cairo. So I say bring him in and at least try to stick him on the PS.

AP is an interesting look. If the reports out of DC are correct he was let go more so to see what the young guys had vs what he had done in camp. But I simply think we aren't making a move at RB. Not saying that's a good call, I think we need to with Montgomery being hurt, I just don't think we will.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

AP is not now nor has he ever been a receiving back. Not a good thing in Nagy's offense.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

After what AP did to his kid, I don't want him anywhere near this team.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:32 pm AP is not now nor has he ever been a receiving back. Not a good thing in Nagy's offense.
He may not be a good fit for the system but if we need a guy for 2 games until Montgomery comes back? Maybe????

I think you have to take a look at a first ballot HOFer. Doesn’t mean you bring him in but if he plays a position of need, which I think RB is with the injury, you take a look.
Johnny Bollocks
Journeyman

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:51 pm After what AP did to his kid, I don't want him anywhere near this team.
Yep, that's where I'm at with him too.
WP.1
Player of the Month

Mike Glennon available :D

Jaguars backup unknown Jake Luton from Oregon State
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Johnny Bollocks wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:42 am
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:51 pm After what AP did to his kid, I don't want him anywhere near this team.

He's not good anymore

Would you feel the same if this was 2012 AP? Just curious
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I'd take Robert Windsor - DL

Evan Weaver probably worth a look as well
Johnny Bollocks
Journeyman

RichH55 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:19 pm
Johnny Bollocks wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:42 am

He's not good anymore

I suspect so, yes.

A few years back, my favourite soccer team was bought by a man that was on Amnesty International's most wanted list of human rights abusers. He owned them for about 18 months; for the whole of that time I refused to give the team a penny of my money, from buying the team kit to going to matches (up to that point I used to go to every other home game). I was miserable, but I don't regret a second of it.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Johnny Bollocks wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:02 pm

He's not good anymore

I suspect so, yes.

A few years back, my favourite soccer team was bought by a man that was on Amnesty International's most wanted list of human rights abusers. He owned them for about 18 months; for the whole of that time I refused to give the team a penny of my money, from buying the team kit to going to matches (up to that point I used to go to every other home game). I was miserable, but I don't regret a second of it.

Very fair (especially as to the Soccer) - I am not sure that AP deserved that level of vitriol (guessing Amnesty didn't have him in their sights)

I can be of two minds on it - I definitely have guys I'd never want here

But if you have a guy like Joe Mixon (for example) it can be fun as a fan for THIS reason:

Say you have a guy like Peanut Tillman - About as classy a human as you are going to get - Well you know what playing football does to the body and the Brain long term - So I feel guilty about that

With a Mixon? Keep feeding him the ball - I do not care about CTE there at all
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Johnny Bollocks wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:02 pm

He's not good anymore

I suspect so, yes.

:applaud:
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Well done JB. I would have done the same with the Bears had we signed Mike Vick. There’s probably a few more but he’s the one that comes immediately to mind. As for ownership, there’s a guy I’d drop the Bears for if he owned the team but no politics so just gonna leave it there.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

For every fan, I expect there's a line in the sand somewhere. Sometimes it's not as clearly delineated as one might like, however.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked: