Trubisky Named Starter

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Per Schefter:

Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
G08
Hall of Famer

FUCK YES!!!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

G08
Hall of Famer

Ball is in Mitchell Trubisky's court, man.

Year 3 in this offense.

Put up or shut up. This is not only for your Chicago Bears career/legacy, but your NFL career as a starter as well.

docc
Head Coach

Good//now Mitch do YOUR JOB..!

I watched Foles as U of A QB here in Tucson..happy to see he had some success..however..Mitch "should" be the furture and

just get it Done Mitch...
dplank
Hall of Famer

Not surprised but not at all happy about this. Short sighted, poor decision in my opinion. Prove me wrong Mitch!

I'll also add that now i'm beyond pissed about the Foles contract. What a waste. I wonder what the free agency market for GM's looks like? I hate hate hate the "bring in Foles after Trubisky fails" argument, it basically throws our season away and we are in win now mode.
GSH
MVP

Good. Id like to think that means we all can move on now, but as a Bears fan for too long I know this is really just the start haha.

Go and son the Lions again mitch. Because if we drop week 1 i might have a self imposed internet ban for a few weeks.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I’m approximately 50% less excited about football now, trying to stay positive but I feel like our season just ended lol. Trubisky blows.
G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:32 pm I’m approximately 50% less excited about football now, trying to stay positive but I feel like our season just ended lol. Trubisky blows.
50% less, really?? Fuck man, I'm 150% excited!!

Umbali
MVP

Alrighty then! Mitch make us proud! Save Paces job so we dont have to rebuild again and start over. BEAR DOWN!
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

The Bears gets two bad defenses to start so I’m setting my expectations high and I hope all the beat reporters were wrong about the lack of progress they saw from Mitch.
xyt in the discord chats
dplank
Hall of Famer

Here’s my problem with this.

It doesn’t look like it was really a competition that Foles could win, not under these circumstances. They were going to give Mitch another shot. Fine, that alone I can live with!

But that is disconnected from our offseason FA moves!!!!! If you want to give Mitch a final go, then don’t spend 21M on a backup QB when your OL is total shite!!! Spend that money on Trent Williams or Jack Conklin and give Mitch the protection he needs to succeed!!!

I’m not pissed at Nagy, I think I’m finally done with Ryan Pace. He just doesn’t get it, your OL drives the bus for your offense.

I’ll be rooting for that proverbial light to come on for Mitch, I really hope he turns the corner. But Foles warming a bench on the sidelines doesn’t help him one bit! Trent Williams on the other hand would have helped him tremendously. This is total indecision by Pace. If he wanted a backup he could have easily done that for 1/3 the price and still nabbed Williams. Pace is a fool.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

This makes sense to me and I like it. Mitch has more athleticism, youth, and talent than Foles. He can be the future if it comes together for him. If Foles has to come off the bench, he is very good at that. If you bench Mitch to start, and Foles has to be benched, or gets hurt, you might have already lost both QBs.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i made a meme to convey my thoughts on the matter:

G08
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:34 am The Bears gets two bad defenses to start so I’m setting my expectations high and I hope all the beat reporters were wrong about the lack of progress they saw from Mitch.
This isn't true, though.

dplank
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:46 am
crueltyabc wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:34 am The Bears gets two bad defenses to start so I’m setting my expectations high and I hope all the beat reporters were wrong about the lack of progress they saw from Mitch.
This isn't true, though.
You don’t know that.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:25 am
G08 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:46 am

This isn't true, though.
You don’t know that.
We do know that though - some of the beat writers wrote about it. The question is whether or not these improvements will carry over to the game. But Hoge and Jahns both wrote that Mitch seemed to improve on the things Nagy had tasked him with getting better at.

WagonForce
MVP

I'm good with it. Nothing would make me happier than Foles only taking the field when the Bears are up by 4 scores (preferably against Green Bay).

Let's go Mitch.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Not surprised. I think it was a given from the start unless 10 shit the bed terribly in practice. With no real pressure on him (opposing Ds in pre season) it really wasn't a competition. Hope he plays well and rewards the powers that be.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:29 am

You don’t know that.
We do know that though - some of the beat writers wrote about it. The question is whether or not these improvements will carry over to the game. But Hoge and Jahns both wrote that Mitch seemed to improve on the things Nagy had tasked him with getting better at.
Practice? You talking about practice? Lol... seriously, until we see it in live action we don’t know. That’s my point. We kept hearing how great he was last year in camp and practice, it never carries over. Foles is a prime time guy when the lights are on.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

It sounds to me DP, like you wanted to simply hand the job to Foles. If Trubs couldn't prove it to you in practice, isn't that precisely what you're saying: "Foles should have just been given the job because anything that Mitch show is simply practice and not live action...."

And I don't get what you find so hateful about Foles' contract. Right now, Foles' cap dollars for 2020 are 6.7 million. That ranks him 26th in the league. And his AAV is 8 mill, also 26th in the league. These are pretty good figures for what may very well be the best backup QB in the league. And if Foles does have to come in (hopefully not), then his incentives will still make his contract very low for a starting QB. Where's the downside?
dplank
Hall of Famer

Fair Yogi. Yes, I’d have liked them to give it to Foles and have Mitch be forced to clearly outplay him in practice to win the job. We did the opposite. There’s two factors here, the short tenure in Nagys offense and the fact that Mitch has, to this point, been a practice player that chokes on Sundays. I’d have given Foles more snaps to acclimate faster and assumed he was the starter, and only changed that course if Mitch forced it.

The contract upsets me because we claimed to be too poor to address our porous OL. It looks to me like we just handed the job to Mitch, who couldn’t clearly beat out a guy who has all of 3 weeks in Nagys offense!!! He should have beat him by a mile!! My point here is if that’s what you are gonna do then FUCKING DO IT, go all in on Mitch and address the OL problem! Now all we have is a chokester QB behind a shitty OL. If Mitch fails and we turn to Foles, it’s likely too late! Not a great plan. Pace failed.
G08
Hall of Famer

You don’t know that.
Exactly.

G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:06 pm

Practice? You talking about practice? Lol... seriously, until we see it in live action we don’t know. That’s my point. We kept hearing how great he was last year in camp and practice, it never carries over. Foles is a prime time guy when the lights are on.
The reports from camp last season were that Trubisky was pretty awful, lot of INTs and missed throws.

G08
Hall of Famer

Regarding Foles' contract... his cap hit is $6.67 milliion in 2020 and 2021. He can be cut in 2022 for $3.67 million.

That's not expensive.

dplank
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:27 pm
dplank wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:06 pm

The reports from camp last season were that Trubisky was pretty awful, lot of INTs and missed throws.
Not according to Nagy, who kept telling us he was on the verge of a breakout. All I can go by here is what I e actual seen, and what I saw last year was one of the worst QBs in the NFL, plain and simple. He was THAT bad. I’m shocked how many people don’t believe what they saw first hand.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Hoge and Jahns called the offense uninspiring and said the QB competition was close. Now we have articles like “well he did improve his mechanics”. They’ve praised Graham and the kid from Tulane. They worried about the oline. Praise has been lukewarm. So ok you’re right they didn’t say “absolutely no progress” but they never said he was good either. He beat out weak competition in a short competition where he had major advantages. I’m glad some people optimistic but it’s just optimism
xyt in the discord chats
GSH
MVP

whole thing's been pretty exhausting for us fans. I'll root for whoever is suiting up in navy and orange at the end of the day and hope for the best.

Go Bears!
Ormazd
MVP

I won't lie and say I'm excited abut this.

But, trying to stay optimistic, I'll hope competition with Foles will push Mitch and give him the extra spark he's been lacking. We will soon find out.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Dplank - you are really all over the map here.

Things to remember:
1) 2018 Mitch was actually good (Yes, alot of that was due to his legs - still good)

2). It's weird to be so down on Mitch - and then fault them for brining in viable competition (And they did - The pandemic shortening all the windows and looks isn't really on Pace/Nagy)

3) Related to 2 - There IS a viable other option - I presume (and I could be wrong) it will be a relatively short leash for Mitch

Because there is a viable other option - This isn't Chase Daniel having Nagy give him the Rudy you're 5 foot nothing, a hundred and nothing speech. This is a real option (I may disagree on who they brought in and what they paid to get Foles - cough Cam cough -). But this isn't Chase Daniel where your season is over the moment you say he's your best option

There is a legitimate debate to be had