Dan Patrick: Tom Brady was nearly a Bear

The latest Bears news and talk

Moderators: wab, RING4CHI, Pagan

UOK
Site Admin

Dan Patrick: Tom Brady was nearly a Bear

Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:36 pm

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2020/09/ ... offseason/

“The final list that Brady was looking at, the Chargers, the Bears, and the Buccaneers. I was told this yesterday. I said ‘wait a minute, the Bears?’ [Source] said yes. Brady was considering the Bears, the Chargers were a long shot because of the west coast…the fact that he was considering the Bears, Chicago at least – because he wanted to be [close] in proximity to New York where his son is…but ended up taking Tampa Bay.”

"None of us are in the board room, locker room, or on the sideline, so in a way, we don't know shit."
- Otis Day

Read UOK's Summary of the Average Angry Bears Fan
Umbali
Assistant Coach

Re: Dan Patrick: Tom Brady was nearly a Bear

Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:42 pm

Seems like an extreme long shot. We have the D in place but so did the Patriots. We have 1 main WR but so did the Patriots. Our O- line was leaky and our run game sucked. At that time no viable TE on the roster. Cant even see why he would have an interest.
Via UOK
Ive got a lot of anger to ration out over the next 4-5 months, and I'm sure as hell not going to dump it out recklessly here in freakin' August.
Moriarty
MVP

Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:35 pm

Dang.

We missed out on an Open Competition between Mitch and Brady.

:wink:
:taunt:
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
HisRoyalSweetness
Crafty Veteran

Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:42 pm

Umbali wrote:
Seems like an extreme long shot. We have the D in place but so did the Patriots. We have 1 main WR but so did the Patriots. Our O- line was leaky and our run game sucked. At that time no viable TE on the roster. Cant even see why he would have an interest.
Oh I don't know. The most successful QB in NFL history joining the team with the worst QB record in NFL history might have had a certain appeal, especially when they have a championship-calibre defense in place. Can you imagine how much it would have added to his legend if he'd won a Super Bowl with the QB and championship-starved Bears?
Wounded Bear
Assistant Coach

Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:40 pm

Moriarty wrote:
Dang.

Yeah, no shit. Pace probably told him that he would have to beat out Mitch. Brady dodged a bullet since we did little to beef up our offensive line.
Umbali
Assistant Coach

Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:07 pm

HisRoyalSweetness wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:42 pm
Umbali wrote:
Oh I don't know. The most successful QB in NFL history joining the team with the worst QB record in NFL history might have had a certain appeal, especially when they have a championship-calibre defense in place. Can you imagine how much it would have added to his legend if he'd won a Super Bowl with the QB and championship-starved Bears?
Maybe but the overriding desire to win a SB without being linked to Belichick , surely played into going somewhere with good weather, no state income taxes...closer to Brazil, and GREAT WRs and oh yah not a shabby defense. Just dont even see the reality of him actually wanting to come here.
Via UOK
Ive got a lot of anger to ration out over the next 4-5 months, and I'm sure as hell not going to dump it out recklessly here in freakin' August.
Ormazd
MVP

Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:15 am

Wounded Bear wrote:
Moriarty wrote:
Dang.

Yeah, no shit. Pace probably told him that he would have to beat out Mitch. Brady dodged a bullet since we did little to beef up our offensive line.
Sorry for going slightly off topic, but I'm sure we have a few Illinois basketball fans here and this reminds me of a sad story. The hapless Bruce Weber was recruiting Derrick Rose, and told him he would have to compete with Chester Frazier for playing time.
Rose went to Memphis and the rest is history.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:25 am

Crazy to think about.

Seriously though, I am as interested to see how this Brady thing works out in Tampa. I mean time eventually has to catch up with him.
The Cooler King
Assistant Coach

Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:32 am

southdakbearfan wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:25 am
Crazy to think about.

Seriously though, I am as interested to see how this Brady thing works out in Tampa. I mean time eventually has to catch up with him.
Yea, I'm not too bummed we missed out. I think this year time really catches up with him. Some signs had already started.

Plus fuck Brady and everything Pat's culture.
Fka "BillGeorge61" @CBFans.net
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:02 am

Ormazd wrote:
Wounded Bear wrote:

Sorry for going slightly off topic, but I'm sure we have a few Illinois basketball fans here and this reminds me of a sad story. The hapless Bruce Weber was recruiting Derrick Rose, and told him he would have to compete with Chester Frazier for playing time.
I doubt that Rose had what it took to actually qualify for the U of I and he probably couldn't find anyone to take the ACT/SAT test for him in IL.
reggieg87
Rookie

Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:49 am

It is crazy that Brady pushed Tampa to predicted 3rd in NFC!

https://www.sportsbetting3.com/nfl/nfl-betting#futures

Of course Gronk helped, and now Fournette, but are they really going to be pushing for the Super Bowl?

Clowney would have been an interesting addition to the D! Antonio Brown for 2nd half of the season maybe?
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:21 pm

Ormazd wrote:
Wounded Bear wrote:

Playing time isn't what took Rose to Memphis.
*^*Team Trey Lance*^*

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
spudbear
Practice Squad

Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:46 pm

I'm imagining Fat Patricia game planning for Tom Terrific in the season opener. Heh. Could have made an interesting matchup that the media would have played up.
Agreed that GOAT Tom is not what he used to be, has a fork sticking out his back and just vapors left in the tank. Arians better get a better running attack to help poor old Tom. Gronk is out of it and there's a reason Fournette was on the open market.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Richie
MVP

Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:07 pm

Wounded Bear wrote:
Moriarty wrote:
Dang.

I mean, our line has played pretty good two games in.
Year 3 Starting (updated yearly)

Brees (11-4): 65.5% (7th) 7.9 Y/A (7th) 27 TD (7th) 6.8 TD% (4th) 7 INT 1.8 INT% (3rd) 104 Rating (3rd)

Trubisky (8-7): 63.2% (18th) 6.1 Y/A (32nd) 17 TD (27th) 3.3 TD% (30th) 10 INT 1.9 INT% (15th) 83 Rating (28th)

Return to “Halas Hall”