Bears D

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

I figured with 5 months of anti-Pagano rants under my belt that it was appropriate to acknowledge that, as of this moment, I'm thinking that I was wrong. I reserve the right to change my tune if we revert to soft defense, but....

This defense is playing really well and playing DISRUPTIVE football right now. The first few weeks I was not impressed AT ALL. We were giving away yards like candy, teams were dominating TOP, and even though PPG were kept low it all felt artificially achieved to me. There were no impact plays, poor 3rd down stop %, and far too little pressure on the QB. Holding teams to FG's was surely a positive, but at the expense of losing control over the flow of the game and putting our offense in shitty spots repeatedly.

Well here we are 6 weeks in to the season, and this defense is starting to resemble the defense I had hoped for! Quinn is playing much more and despite not having stats, his impact is being felt as Mack has been unleashed on opposing QB's. Our coverage is OUTSTANDING, led by Fuller, EJax, Jaylon, and Roquan. Gipson has been Johnny on the spot and DHC is making key plays when called upon. We are consistently creating pressure with 4 rushers, an absolute key IMO. We are getting sacks and creating turnovers now, which is what I've been waiting for. Our run defense is still pretty poor, but I can't hang that on Pagano with Goldman being out - he's just a huge loss to our rush defense that we're not going to overcome. We're going to have to run blitz on early downs to create passing downs where we excel.

This team has a chance to make some noise if we can correct our OL issues. We're far better off with Foles out there, it's just a totally different feel to this team with him. I think everyone's confidence, defense included, is affected positively by Foles presence.
wab
Mod

It was cool to see what this defense can be when playing with a lead. Night and Day.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:43 am I figured with 5 months of anti-Pagano rants under my belt that it was appropriate to acknowledge that, as of this moment, I'm thinking that I was wrong.
dplank
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:46 pm
dplank wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:43 am I figured with 5 months of anti-Pagano rants under my belt that it was appropriate to acknowledge that, as of this moment, I'm thinking that I was wrong.
You obviously don't know me or you'd know this is normal. I believe what I believe until I'm shown it's wrong, then I have no problem changing as new information clarifies / corrects. I dream of a day when everyone behaves the same way in all parts of our lives, not just meaningless sports dribble!
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:48 pm

You obviously don't know me or you'd know this is normal. I believe what I believe until I'm shown it's wrong, then I have no problem changing as new information clarifies / corrects. I dream of a day when everyone behaves the same way in all parts of our lives, not just meaningless sports dribble!
FWIW I now believe you were right that, even though we all knew they wouldn't do it, the Bears should have acquired Trent Williams.
G08
Hall of Famer

:lol:

Imagine how much better we'd be doing as well if the refs didn't keep ass fucking us. Eddie Jackson has been robbed TWICE now of pick sixes... as Harry Cary would say "there should be an investigation!"

Also, Kyle Fuller, please do not stop this aggressive style of play. LOVE seeing that kid bring the lumber.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:01 pm

FWIW I now believe you were right that, even though we all knew they wouldn't do it, the Bears should have acquired Trent Williams.
Appreciate that!

Wounded Bear
MVP

dplank wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:43 am I figured with 5 months of anti-Pagano rants under my belt that it was appropriate to acknowledge that, as of this moment, I'm thinking that I was wrong. I reserve the right to change my tune if we revert to soft defense, but....

This defense is playing really well and playing DISRUPTIVE football right now. The first few weeks I was not impressed AT ALL. We were giving away yards like candy, teams were dominating TOP, and even though PPG were kept low it all felt artificially achieved to me. There were no impact plays, poor 3rd down stop %, and far too little pressure on the QB. Holding teams to FG's was surely a positive, but at the expense of losing control over the flow of the game and putting our offense in shitty spots repeatedly.

Well here we are 6 weeks in to the season, and this defense is starting to resemble the defense I had hoped for! Quinn is playing much more and despite not having stats, his impact is being felt as Mack has been unleashed on opposing QB's. Our coverage is OUTSTANDING, led by Fuller, EJax, Jaylon, and Roquan. Gipson has been Johnny on the spot and DHC is making key plays when called upon. We are consistently creating pressure with 4 rushers, an absolute key IMO. We are getting sacks and creating turnovers now, which is what I've been waiting for. Our run defense is still pretty poor, but I can't hang that on Pagano with Goldman being out - he's just a huge loss to our rush defense that we're not going to overcome. We're going to have to run blitz on early downs to create passing downs where we excel.

This team has a chance to make some noise if we can correct our OL issues. We're far better off with Foles out there, it's just a totally different feel to this team with him. I think everyone's confidence, defense included, is affected positively by Foles presence.

I have been right with you in my complaints about the defense, but I will be dammed if the last two weeks of defensive play hasn’t changed my mind. Pagano has really stepped up and has them playing lights out right now.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Just joshing you dplank. ;)

I always have respect for people who are open to changing their minds.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Dan Hampton recently criticized Robert Quinn, but he’s obviously not watching the games. I great pass rusher impacts more than the stat sheet. He’s getting really nice pressures. Plus much like in 2018, there aren’t a lot of 5-step/7-step drops in our opponents game plans. That was more than evident on Sunday against the Panthers.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

alexwilkins wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:20 pm Dan Hampton recently criticized Robert Quinn, but he’s obviously not watching the games. I great pass rusher impacts more than the stat sheet. He’s getting really nice pressures. Plus much like in 2018, there aren’t a lot of 5-step/7-step drops in our opponents game plans. That was more than evident on Sunday against the Panthers.
Good post

and good thread Dplank
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

According to The Football Database, the Bears defense has been one of the most penalized in the NFL. Their eight defensive pass interference penalties rank third in the league, while they’re tied for second in the league with three roughing the passers, and tied for fifth with three unnecessary roughness calls.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears ... hris-simms
Given the dubious nature of quite a few of those calls, these stats are a clear indication the officials have been giving the Bears defense a particularly hard time compared to other teams.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

dplank wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:43 am ... "This defense is playing really well and playing DISRUPTIVE football right now. The first few weeks I was not impressed AT ALL. We were giving away yards like candy, teams were dominating TOP, and even though PPG were kept low it all felt artificially achieved to me. There were no impact plays, poor 3rd down stop %, and far too little pressure on the QB. Holding teams to FG's was surely a positive, but at the expense of losing control over the flow of the game and putting our offense in shitty spots repeatedly.

This team has a chance to make some noise if we can correct our OL issues. We're far better off with Foles out there, it's just a totally different feel to this team with him. I think everyone's confidence, defense included, is affected positively by Foles presence."
I agree, the first few games had me concerned too. Just did not seem to get enough push overall.

They are really catching fire and hoping we continue to bring it like we have been lately.

I saw Baldy's Breakdown earlier this week and it had me pumped!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRKDTiOed3s
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

bearsoldier wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:48 am I saw Baldy's Breakdown earlier this week and it had me pumped!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRKDTiOed3s
Yeah I can't wait for DeAndre Houston-Carter or his brother Deandro Carter-Houston make another game sealing play! :D
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Yeah I can't wait for DeAndre Houston-Carter or his brother Deandro Carter-Houston make another game sealing play! :D
Baldy sure has his own a way with words, phrases and players names... Lol Reminds me of Madden... BOOM! POW!
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka