What North lacks in style, it makes up for in competitivenes

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Pagan
MVP

What North lacks in style, it makes up for in competitiveness

Surprising Kyle Orton has thrived as Chicago's starting quarterback this season, helping the Bears to first place in a weak NFC North.

We take a journey through the tightly contested NFC North, which has been mediocre at best halfway through the NFL season.

By MARK CRAIG, Star Tribune
Last update: November 7, 2008 - 8:51 AM

A year ago, the Packers were 7-1 en route to finishing 13-3 and winning the NFC North by five games.

Only the AFC East, which had the 16-0 Patriots, provided a more lopsided margin of victory.

This year is a different story.

"Right now," said Packers receiver Donald Driver, "this division is pretty crazy."

The surprising Bears, 7-9 last season, lead the North with a 5-3 record. The Packers and Vikings are a game back at 4-4, while the Lions are 0-8.

"If you go based on the standings, I would say it is up for grabs," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. "But I'm just worried about getting to 5-4. I don't start looking at wins and losses really until we get to December. That's when I think it is so important, and one game could decide the direction of a football team."

The Packers take a five-game winning streak against the Vikings into Sunday's game at the Metrodome. With the Bears (3-0) and Packers (2-0) unbeaten in the division, the Vikings can ill afford a loss that would drop them to 1-3 in the division and 0-2 against the Packers.

"What the Packers have done to us in the past definitely is motivation," Vikings receiver Bobby Wade said. "We aren't planning on losing this game."

The Vikings also have the hardest remaining schedule among the top three teams in the division. Their remaining opponents are a combined 35-30, including five teams with a winning record. The Bears' remaining opponents are 32-32, while the Packers' are 30-34.

The Bears' season could hinge on the health of Kyle Orton, one of the division's biggest surprises, if not the MVP. Despite reports that he could miss up to a month because of a sprained ankle, Orton has not ruled himself out of Sunday's game against the visiting Titans (8-0).

Driver was asked if Orton's injury means the winner of Sunday's Packers-Vikings game becomes the favorite to win the division. At 33, Driver has been around long enough not to nibble on that bait.
Beardude
Practice Squad

Hope the vikes & packers game ends in a tie.

I hate em both !