Endless Trubisky/Foles Thread

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:15 pm
G08 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:27 pm

I'm of the opinion Mac Jones is perfect for Nagy's offense based on what I've read and seen about him. I prefer more athletic QBs -- I believe that is the direction the NFL is headed -- but it is what it is.

They're both 2nd round picks in my football world, but it wouldn't shock me to see the Bears pull the trigger at 20.

As @wab said, I'd prefer landing them in a trade down to the late 20s, hell even 32 if possible.
I could get excited about drafting Mac Jones. I could get excited about Winston honestly, maybe he’s grown up he has talent. Fitz too for different reasons. Brissett and Sudfeld not so much, I’ll just go with Foles if we can’t do better than that.

I bet we have to trade up to get Jones guys...
Excitement just isn't much on my radar for 2021 haha. Don't let my Brisset comment be overstated. He can hold the fort down for a year. I think it's likely through the draft we'll find a QB worth beimh excited over.
WP.1
Player of the Month

G08 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:28 pm Trubisky had 572 passing attempts in college.

Mac Jones has 556
Kyle Trask has 813

With what just happened here with Trubisky, I'd have to think that a rookie QB would be QB3 and under no circumstance play in 2021. So that means Foles and a cheapish QB2.
big difference is the time as team leader / starting QB.
- part/end of season and season National Champion
- 2 full season

compared to an one year wonder with Bowl loss 2-2 TD-INT.

Sudfeld ? the allegory of tanking.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Yea no interest in Sudfeld. And I agree I’d prefer to draft a guy and let him sit a year, but I don’t but that as any excuse for why Mitch failed here. That happened 4 years ago. What exactly would he have learned sitting behind Glennon that he didn’t learn by playing? If anything playing early should accelerate your development, if your willing to lose a lot while you ramp up the kid. I don’t buy the “you hurt his confidence “ argument one bit. If it’s that fragile you got the wrong guy.
IE
Hall of Famer

I'm kind of intrigued by idea of bringing in Minshew (and keeping Foles). Follow in the Jags' footsteps. Then tanking (intentionally or not) and getting a super-high '22 pick and coaxing a great coach out of retirement to resurrect the franchise.

We'll never hear the end of Mitch Trubisky's great potential and the love/loyalty around that until he moves on and proves what he is somewhere else, like Grossman.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Fumblebuck
MVP

dplank wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:58 am Yea no interest in Sudfeld. And I agree I’d prefer to draft a guy and let him sit a year, but I don’t but that as any excuse for why Mitch failed here. That happened 4 years ago. What exactly would he have learned sitting behind Glennon that he didn’t learn by playing? If anything playing early should accelerate your development, if your willing to lose a lot while you ramp up the kid. I don’t buy the “you hurt his confidence “ argument one bit. If it’s that fragile you got the wrong guy.
I agree. If the guy has the 'it' factor, get him in there asap. Sitting him won't hurt him, but doesn't help him as much as playing. The guys that come out now are a lot closer to ready.

Josh Allen & Kyler Murray didn't play much in college came out and started almost right away.
It doesn't seem to have hindered their development.
wab
Mod

Eh, I don't see much love or loyalty towards Mitch these days. Had he been key in winning a playoff game or two my opinion might be changed. If the Bears had cleaned house and promised to bring in someone to build an offense around what he does best (short to intermediate passing, strong run game, and getting him on the move) I could have been swayed into wanting him back.

None of those happened. It's time to move on. I wish him the best, and I hope he has success. But much like the end of the Cutler era, it's just time.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I am sort of curious what will happen to Mitch ... he in no way completely sucked ... he has the tools to be a successful NFL QB ... in my opinion, Nagy was the worst thing that happened to him and stunted his growth ... I think whoever gets him needs to give him a clean slate and a scheme that can use what he can do and not force him to be what he isn't ... in such a situation, he could shine ... don't count out the Patriots taking a chance with him

as for the Bears, they need to find Nagy a QB he actually wants and can work in Nagy's system ... problem is, Nagy has never actually defined what he wants in a QB ... maybe he has to Pace? I know Nagy pushed to get Foles, so is he going to be the guy Nagy is going to hitch his wagon to with his job on the line? guess we'll see
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Boris13c wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:36 pm I am sort of curious what will happen to Mitch ... he in no way completely sucked ... he has the tools to be a successful NFL QB ... in my opinion, Nagy was the worst thing that happened to him and stunted his growth ... I think whoever gets him needs to give him a clean slate and a scheme that can use what he can do and not force him to be what he isn't ... in such a situation, he could shine ... don't count out the Patriots taking a chance with him

as for the Bears, they need to find Nagy a QB he actually wants and can work in Nagy's system ... problem is, Nagy has never actually defined what he wants in a QB ... maybe he has to Pace? I know Nagy pushed to get Foles, so is he going to be the guy Nagy is going to hitch his wagon to with his job on the line? guess we'll see
Foles was never anything but a short term fix. I think Nagy knew he'd end up starting, but I don't think he ever intended it to be long term.

I think...In what Nagy assumed would be a perfect scenario...Mitch starts and fails, Foles comes in and keeps the boat afloat while making a playoff push, Mitch quietly goes away in the offseason, Foles becomes the bridge to a young QB and everything is right with the world.

It almost worked, but inconsistent playcalling, an atrocious offensive line, and yet another Foles injury kind of screwed the pooch.
wab
Mod

As far as what happens to Mitch... he probably goes to somewhere like Pittsburgh or Indianapolis to compete with a rookie or Seattle, Baltimore, Dallas, or San Fran as a backup.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:58 am Yea no interest in Sudfeld. And I agree I’d prefer to draft a guy and let him sit a year, but I don’t but that as any excuse for why Mitch failed here. That happened 4 years ago. What exactly would he have learned sitting behind Glennon that he didn’t learn by playing? If anything playing early should accelerate your development, if your willing to lose a lot while you ramp up the kid. I don’t buy the “you hurt his confidence “ argument one bit. If it’s that fragile you got the wrong guy.
I definitely have never bought the confidence angle. Totally agree, if you're concerned about ruining confidence you have the wrong guy. 100%

I think to the extent you sit a guy it's becuase you want to hammer in any mechanical or mental changes again and again and again that is done with more precision in a training environment. Like shooting a FT you want to drive home so much repition that it's second nature. Now a guy can overcome it with natural ability, but maybe you expedite the corrections by hyperfocusing on them first in controlled settings (although every guy is obviously different)
Burl
Crafty Veteran

Just for the record, I've seen multiple posts stating or relaying the general idea that confidence should just be some unwavering, internal superpower that can never be shaken or disturbed. That's just not the way human beings work. Any athlete can lose confidence if things go bad enough. It can manifest itself in a number of ways. Cutler for instance, maybe never lost confidence in his ability to laser balls right to some DBs outstretched arms, but he lost confidence in his coaches, his WRs, his line, etc. This contributed to his poor play.
Dardango
Journeyman

There was clearly a formula for Nagy to win with Mitch (which was after all the basis on which he took the job), but he decided to bet that all on Foles this year and got pantsed. Finally, committing to the run (after two years of his pass-happy crap) and allowing #10 to improvise a bit more, they started to win. The sweet, sweet irony in all of this, is that despite all of the crap he's gotten (much of it well-deserved) it was Mitch who saved Nagy and Pace's asses, and who may ultimately have the last laugh in this story.
WP.1
Player of the Month

still week later

man, what a bad game from QB.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Dardango wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:19 pm There was clearly a formula for Nagy to win with Mitch (which was after all the basis on which he took the job), but he decided to bet that all on Foles this year and got pantsed. Finally, committing to the run (after two years of his pass-happy crap) and allowing #10 to improvise a bit more, they started to win. The sweet, sweet irony in all of this, is that despite all of the crap he's gotten (much of it well-deserved) it was Mitch who saved Nagy and Pace's asses, and who may ultimately have the last laugh in this story.
I’m pretty confident we could have hung 30 on the Lions and Texans even with Bray starting at QB for us. I don’t think we learned much other than how bad they were at defense.
G08
Hall of Famer

I am thinking he didn't dive or sacrifice his body to get a first down on that 4th and short because he didn't want to risk injury. "Business decision". If that's the case, I'm not happy about it but I suppose I get it after how this season transpired for him.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:22 am I am thinking he didn't dive or sacrifice his body to get a first down on that 4th and short because he didn't want to risk injury. "Business decision". If that's the case, I'm not happy about it but I suppose I get it after how this season transpired for him.
I think the same.

But man, watching Henne sell out on that 3rd and long made that Trubisky play sting even more.
Z Bear
MVP

But that horrible Henne INT looked a lot like Mitch!
UOK
Site Admin

Z Bear wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:00 pm But that horrible Henne INT looked a lot like Mitch!
He had a Mitch-esque game. Great throw, horrid end zone pick, bigtime run.
G08
Hall of Famer

I couldn't stop laughing. Then crying.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
dplank
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:08 pm Image

I couldn't stop laughing. Then crying.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
IE
Hall of Famer

OMG is that Wims? LOL
DevilsProspect
Pro Bowler

Boris13c wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:36 pm I am sort of curious what will happen to Mitch ... he in no way completely sucked ... he has the tools to be a successful NFL QB ... in my opinion, Nagy was the worst thing that happened to him and stunted his growth ... I think whoever gets him needs to give him a clean slate and a scheme that can use what he can do and not force him to be what he isn't ... in such a situation, he could shine ... don't count out the Patriots taking a chance with him

I could see Mitch going to Washington.
AC 46Blitz
wab
Mod

DevilsProspect wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:05 pm

I think Stafford ends up in Washington. I think Mitch ends up in Miami, San Francisco, or Indianapolis - with Dallas an outside shot if they lose Dak.
wab
Mod

Actually the more I think about it, the more I think Mitch ends up in Atlanta backing up Ryan.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:42 pm Actually the more I think about it, the more I think Mitch ends up in Atlanta backing up Ryan.
He's perfect for the scheme and there are multiple coaches there that have been around him in the past.

DevilsProspect
Pro Bowler

wab wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:53 am
DevilsProspect wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:05 pm

I think Stafford ends up in Washington. I think Mitch ends up in Miami, San Francisco, or Indianapolis - with Dallas an outside shot if they lose Dak.
Bears sign Dak,

Mitch signs with Cowboys.

Works for me!

Lol
AC 46Blitz
IE
Hall of Famer

I'd like to see Mitch start for the Cowboys.
DevilsProspect
Pro Bowler

IE wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:08 am I'd like to see Mitch start for the Cowboys.
Come to think about it, Mitch and Romo kinda look alike. Sort of...
AC 46Blitz
otis
Pro Bowler

You guys ready to pay dak 35 mil a year? I think he still is a jag. And now a injured jag. Id rather take my lumps for another year with foles or anyone and try for a good rookie cheap
DevilsProspect
Pro Bowler

otis wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:03 pm You guys ready to pay dak 35 mil a year? I think he still is a jag. And now a injured jag. Id rather take my lumps for another year with foles or anyone and try for a good rookie cheap
I would rather pay Dak 35m a year, then Watson 35m a year and give up multiple picks to get him.

Honestly, I would rather Nagy gone and do a complete rebuild but that’s not happening. So if they want to compete and not give up valuable picks, you just pay Dak.
AC 46Blitz