Future QB Discussion

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Bearfanuk wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:20 pm There’s a qb issue in philly one that seems to suggest got a coach fired.

If lurie does view wentz as his QB 1 and does want one less of a headache I’m seeing dots that connect hurts to the bears with foles and a pick going the opposite way.

Wentz foles has a good relationship that ended in a bowl and it puts wentz back firmly as the starting QB no questions....no looking over your shoulder. You are our guy...or maybe I am wishing that into the universe IDK
Lurie may be wanting to salvage Wentz, but trading Hurts would be silly becuase at some point if you do finally pull the plug on Wentz in the next 1 to 2 years, Hurts would be waiting as a cheap rookie scale contract. And he can even be used in special packages as a backup.
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:27 pm
Bearfanuk wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:20 pm There’s a qb issue in philly one that seems to suggest got a coach fired.

If lurie does view wentz as his QB 1 and does want one less of a headache I’m seeing dots that connect hurts to the bears with foles and a pick going the opposite way.

Wentz foles has a good relationship that ended in a bowl and it puts wentz back firmly as the starting QB no questions....no looking over your shoulder. You are our guy...or maybe I am wishing that into the universe IDK
Lurie may be wanting to salvage Wentz, but trading Hurts would be silly becuase at some point if you do finally pull the plug on Wentz in the next 1 to 2 years, Hurts would be waiting as a cheap rookie scale contract. And he can even be used in special packages as a backup.
You are more then right.
However ,
This time last week if I’d suggested Philly canned D.P people would have said no chance...but here we are. Crazy things seem to happen with that franchise 😂

Aikman claims it’s because he wanted hurts while ownership wanted wentz...

FWIW I totally agree with you however it does seem keeping both together is a possible meltdown situation for fans etc Foles has history.its the only reason why It’s an idea tbh
Have a great day
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Hurts 77 of 148 (52%); 7.2 YPA; 6 TD/4 INT; 354 Rushing Yds/5.6 YPA. Might be worth trading a 4th but Philly isn't going to take that. Would still have to draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Hurts is like having Mitch play QB, except he is worse at throwing the football than Mitch.
docc
Head Coach

Nope..just sideways..no improvement..
cblaz11
MVP

Couple things...

You can’t win in the NFL without the QB and Pace missed on that. Outside of QB, I think we have a very strong roster.

Mitch is gone....He’ll be a backup somewhere else next year

I expect them to make a move for a vet to a team drafting a QB. They could use Foles as part of that deal as a bridge for the other team. Also, Foles could opt out can’t he?

Cap space can be found very easily. Cut Skrine, Graham, Fuller restructure, along with other moves...Pace has structured these short term deals with outs.

I tag Arob and trade him for draft capital.

Let’s all relax a bit....we’re a QB, a few players, and a good DC away from a 10 win team.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Cblaz you’d have to extend Fuller not restructure. He’s in the last year of his deal.

For cap room you could add Massie to cut list and restructure Goldman, Jackson and maybe Mack.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I wanted us to draft Hurts last year, I like him. But the whole point behind that thought was basically: if we're built to win with defense, then deploy a run first offense with a running style college QB to compliment your defense. I thought he'd make a great backup for Mitch and probably would take the job from him in Year 2. But he is basically a lot like Mitch in terms of his skill set - Hurts is a better athlete by a smidge and Trubisky has a better arm by a smidge. Like Docc said, this is a sideways move, not an improvement.

If we're gonna go "full Nagy", then we need a better/different QB. Dak Prescott would do it. Deshawn Watson would do it. In the draft I like Mac Jones and Trask both in the range we're picking. And a vet like Matt Ryan would get it done. I don't want to count on this as our #1 plan, but I'm not convinced Foles can't do it if he has a solid OL in front of him. You have to get a QB that can process the ENTIRE FIELD and get the ball out of his hands quickly. The Mitch's and Hurts of the world are not going to work here.
IE
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:45 pm Hurts is like having Mitch play QB, except he is worse at throwing the football than Mitch.
Mitch and Hurts are "similar" QBs. I don't agree with this comment about throwing the ball at all - but there isn't data or samples on Hurts to back up my opinion.

Mitch is highly inaccurate outside of 15 yards, and struggles with touch and anticipation in hitting a moving target. His completion percentage comes from throwing so many extremely short passes. That has actually been a problem with the Bear offense - and we don't want to give Mitch too much credit for what is in effect a hindrance to the team. The assumption has to be most QBs would hit those passes, and just don't get as many opportunities. Then outside of 15 yards, Mitch is pretty good at throwing to a spot (e.g. sideline, pylon, etc) but that is only one dimension of accuracy, and - at least to me - we can't call it a "dime" when you're throwing to a spot. Maybe that's just me. Anyway, needing to throw to specific spots is a weakness, when DCs seem to be able to take away specific plays and they also can see through your attempts to fool them (ahem, Nagy).

Even if Hurts was exactly like Mitch in throwing the ball, he's a bigger threat running the ball, better on the move as a thrower, has better vision and is far more of a natural football player. Hurts has a demonstrated history of rising
to challenges (Mitch shrinks from them). The same sort of thing (questioning his arm) was said about him when he lost the job to Tua (who is amazingly accurate). Then Hurts went on to demonstrate good accuracy in his last season. That *should* return, as the NFL game slows for him as we always hope. I thought last year and continue to believe that the Bears made a big mistake in not grabbing Hurts in the 2nd round.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
cblaz11
MVP

I’m not sold on Hurts....I’m shocked people are. I’d rather have Kmet and Johnson...

I’d kill for Matt Stafford and theres some restructuring that the Lions might do to trade him. That said, they would never trade him to the Bears. He’s only 32..

I’d prefer Wentz over Ryan...
G08
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:47 am I’m not sold on Hurts....I’m shocked people are. I’d rather have Kmet and Johnson...

I’d kill for Matt Stafford and theres some restructuring that the Lions might do to trade him. That said, they would never trade him to the Bears. He’s only 32..

I'm not interested in Hurts at this time either.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
IE
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:47 am I’m not sold on Hurts....I’m shocked people are. I’d rather have Kmet and Johnson...

I don't think picking up Hurts now helps. (LOL) I think that would be a rebuilding thing now. Last year I thought he'd be an excellent backup to Mitch for a couple of years, if the system was friendly. That ship sailed.

Living in Detroit area, I love Stafford. Same division highly unlikely. But picking him up would be a win now statement that I can get behind.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

I’m not entirely sold on hurts either However ,

Hurts does have a year advanced over QB’s the bears may be picking at 20... huge plus in this league and has shown flashes of something at times.

If you are telling me it’s hurts over foles I’ll take it.

He also and more importantly only carries a cap hit of under 2million.

I’m simply trying to take a step back and look at the qb picture.

We have cap concerns with our best WR walking out the door. an o line that’s ‘ok’ for a mobile QB but still not stout enough for a foles type pocket passer...TE is still not solved. So I’m thinking well, what are our incredibly limited options

This only one that has legs for for me over an Andy dalton type was this but only because of foles philly special connection

And it’s off season debate we need some fat to chew over
Have a great day
circlecitybear
Practice Squad

Like this thread, lots of ideas about the next QB. I hope Pace doesn't over pay or trade a lot of draft choices again for a QB to try and save his job. We really need to build through the draft. A vet that doesn't break us would be fine. After watching Jones Monday made me look twice at drafting him. But as others have pointed out, what a team around him. I do believe New England will draft him if he is there. They might go after Trubisky also, they need bodies. Anybody have an opinion on Payten Ramsey? Watched a few Northwestern games and he has some good talent. Not a big arm but sees the field and his leadership qualities are good. He did try to do to much and had some bad turnovers in big games. Take a chance on the 2nd day picks?
Middleguard
MVP

I think Pace should draft a QB that is clearly not ready for the NFL, but has big upside (if such exists in his mind) and won't waste draft picks. Sit him to watch whatever bum QBs the Bears until Nagy actually gets fired. If the new HC likes him, great. If not, let him backup, or peddle him.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Middleguard wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:12 pm I think Pace should draft a QB that is clearly not ready for the NFL, but has big upside (if such exists in his mind) and won't waste draft picks. Sit him to watch whatever bum QBs the Bears until Nagy actually gets fired. If the new HC likes him, great. If not, let him backup, or peddle him.
I dont see how this happens. I agree it's a course of action. But how does it benefit Pace? He and Nagy are tied now and the floor is lava. An 8-8 season they are toast. They are in survival mode and need to win now.

Unless I'm looking at this wrong, I see them throwing every option they have at Win Now.
malk
Head Coach

I've made my "don't pay a QB unless they're a GOAT argument again over here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14887&start=150#p252993

So we should either sign Trubisky or one of the other QBs who've shown promise to a multi year deal that costs as little as feasible, top backup money or a bit more ($10-12m per year max) or draft one.

I really don't agree we've got cap issues for multiple years. As has been said, if we're relatively hard nosed and cut Hicks (would love to restructure but it doesn't happen), Graham, Massie and Skrine we're back up to $25m in space for 2021 and $109m in 2022. We could also go further and trade Foles (with a low pick if necessary but admittedly that won't happen) and cut Leno on the basis of him not being around when we're next competitive in 2022 onwards, with a high pick replacing him. Those with Quinn getting the chop in 2022 puts us at nearly $130 million and in the last year of Mack's deal so essentially we're at a clean slate at that point. Fuller, Smith and Robinson would need extending if we're not going scorched earth but there's room there for that.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

malk wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:16 pm I've made my "don't pay a QB unless they're a GOAT argument again over here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14887&start=150#p252993

So we should either sign Trubisky or one of the other QBs who've shown promise to a multi year deal that costs as little as feasible, top backup money or a bit more ($10-12m per year max) or draft one.

I really don't agree we've got cap issues for multiple years. As has been said, if we're relatively hard nosed and cut Hicks (would love to restructure but it doesn't happen), Graham, Massie and Skrine we're back up to $25m in space for 2021 and $109m in 2022. We could also go further and trade Foles (with a low pick if necessary but admittedly that won't happen) and cut Leno on the basis of him not being around when we're next competitive in 2022 onwards, with a high pick replacing him. Those with Quinn getting the chop in 2022 puts us at nearly $130 million and in the last year of Mack's deal so essentially we're at a clean slate at that point. Fuller, Smith and Robinson would need extending if we're not going scorched earth but there's room there for that.
Fwiw, 25M is not a substantial amount of space when you don't have a lot of guys under contract which the Bears won't. 660k minimum cap hold for every open roster spot. So that 25M gets eaten up quickly just filling the roster spots with minimum. But yea as they sit here today things open up in 2022, assumimg the cap doesn't contract. And they'll have easy options to get out of a few deals. That said to do anything substantial in 2021, they'll need to punt some cap away to 2022.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I can see Pace making a move up, especially if Fields or Wilson slide. He'd get a legitimate prospect at QB and could angle that into a couple more years to develop the kid.

I hate trading up, bit I would be very pleased to get Fields and let him ride the pine for a year behind Foles.
WP.1
Player of the Month

yes trade but unfortunately Wilson gone.

Fields with about 10th pick.

- 1st + 3rd and 2022 1st
or
- 1st + 2nd and 2022 3rd
or
- 1st + 5th + Daniels (or similar/player not on rookie contract)
dplank
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:33 pm I can see Pace making a move up, especially if Fields or Wilson slide. He'd get a legitimate prospect at QB and could angle that into a couple more years to develop the kid.

I hate trading up, bit I would be very pleased to get Fields and let him ride the pine for a year behind Foles.
If you trade up for Fields, you start him day 1 IMO. That would go for any QB taken high like that. I could see staying put and taking Mac Jones or Trask in 1st or 2nd and letting them marinate for a year, but even then if Foles sucks (which seems likely) then I wouldn't hesitate putting them in and getting them up to speed.

You learn by doing moreso than watching. As for the 'confidence' thing, I'll just let Johnny Lawrence say it:

wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

Absent mortgaging the future of this franchise (in moves for Deshaun Watson or Dak Prescott I wouldn’t wish upon us), this is the path I’d prefer we follow when it comes to our most glaring needs:

1. Fix and lock up the line: Either draft Leatherwood, Darrisaw or Slater at 20th, or trade down and still grab Eichenberg or Trey Smith.
2. Use the next (higher?) pick to get your QB. The group of Lawrence, Fields, Wilson, Lance and Jones (no more Alabama QBs please) should be gone by then, but Trask should be available and the guy for this franchise. Otherwise, so should Newman, Purdy (if he declares), or Mond.
3. Let Nick Foles have another crack. The Falcons and Colts games were exhibit 1 to 100 about his abilities. You have to give this guy at least 3 seconds to make a throw. He can still do it, but he needs pass protection and running game protection.
malk
Head Coach

Just looking at the QBs from the now completed divisional rounds. 3x HoF QBs, 4x QBs on rookie deals and Jared Goff. Plus even Goff is in the 1st year of his non rookie deal which I've previously suggested is the last opportunity before cap realities kick in. NB the Rams are $22m over the cap going into 2021, I wonder what's going to give?
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
G08
Hall of Famer

malk wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:37 pm Just looking at the QBs from the now completed divisional rounds. 3x HoF QBs, 4x QBs on rookie deals and Jared Goff. Plus even Goff is in the 1st year of his non rookie deal which I've previously suggested is the last opportunity before cap realities kick in. NB the Rams are $22m over the cap going into 2021, I wonder what's going to give?
You can always move money around, the Saints have been doing it for eons.
cblaz11
MVP

Man, it’s early and I really just started watching film a week ago....but I’m quickly becoming a Mac Jones fan.

Thoughts on him at 20?
G08
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:57 pm Man, it’s early and I really just started watching film a week ago....but I’m quickly becoming a Mac Jones fan.

Thoughts on him at 20?
I think he's a day 2 prospect but QBs always get elevated.

I prefer athletic QBs but this kid might be what Nagy is looking for to run his offense.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

given how Pace's love-fest for Trubisky went, I don't want him to be allowed to trade up again for the next QB love of his life

I want the Bears to draft a QB, but not reach for one ... Pace said some time ago drafting a QB every year seems like the smart way to go, and since saying that, never drafted another one after Mitch ... which means, by his own words, he isn't very smart ... I would like him to correct that

draft one, sign another undrafted free agent and then peruse what is available in free agency that won't require mortgaging the entire franchise to fill one position and have that threesome with Foles fight like dogs for the spot
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

G08 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:49 pm
cblaz11 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:57 pm Man, it’s early and I really just started watching film a week ago....but I’m quickly becoming a Mac Jones fan.

Thoughts on him at 20?
I think he's a day 2 prospect but QBs always get elevated.

I prefer athletic QBs but this kid might be what Nagy is looking for to run his offense.
I beg your pardon?! Not a chance he’s a day two prospect. Right now he’s projects as high as 14 to the Patriots, and certainly shouldn’t be available to us at 20.

I don’t love Alabama QBs, but having said that, I’d cut my left testicle if we picked him somehow someway. I prefer Trask though.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:40 pm
malk wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:37 pm Just looking at the QBs from the now completed divisional rounds. 3x HoF QBs, 4x QBs on rookie deals and Jared Goff. Plus even Goff is in the 1st year of his non rookie deal which I've previously suggested is the last opportunity before cap realities kick in. NB the Rams are $22m over the cap going into 2021, I wonder what's going to give?
The Saints are getting annihilated by the cap in 2021 and would have even without the COVID dip.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
G08
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:54 pm
G08 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:40 pm

The Saints are getting annihilated by the cap in 2021 and would have even without the COVID dip.
Watch what they do.