Derek Carr/Marcus Mariota?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

RichH55
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:57 pm
Burl wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:25 pm Carr, Im good with taking him on.

Mariota? Heck no. If you didn't like Trubisky, you're looking at basically the same guy, except he's proven even further that he's not starter quality.

The Titans brought in Tannehill (also similar in style to Mariota and Mitch) as Mariota's backup. Since replacing Mariota in the same system, he has absolutely excelled where Mariota continued to languish. If I'm the Titans, I look real closely at Mitch this offseason as a high quality backup.
Kellen Mond coming out of A&M like Tannehill is much more experienced . Tannehill was a converted WR, didn’t have near as many reps.
We can just cut D. Haskins for free and save the draft pick
Umbali
MVP

IE wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:00 pm
Moriarty wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:30 am

Send pics. I'll tell you if she's a 6 or not.

:evilgrin:
My wife? She's an epic badass, on any scale. MVP in any league.

Works two jobs, does all the housework and home renovations (other than the basement or garage - that's me), star shortstop, hockey forward, builds furniture as a hobby, travel planner and adventure lover. She'd kill Terminators if they existed. As a side job, takes care of 4 kids and 4 animals. On top of all that every guy I meet asks how did YOU get so lucky? I kid you not. Not bad for 51! :)

46491951_10157156008159415_5176976518571622400_o.jpg
lmao sounds like your a lazy fuck and she should leave you the first chance she gets
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Umbali
MVP

When peeps have a cow about giving up 2 first round picks for someone like Carr , the first thing I think of is " so you wouldnt give up White and Floyd for Carr?"

the assumption always is that the 1st round pick is a hit rather than a miss.

This year say we did that, the cost would be basically be Carr ( our 1st round pick ) and then some random dude next year that may or may not be a good player.

What % of 1st round players pan out in the nfl?
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:37 pm
Grizzled wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:57 pm

Kellen Mond coming out of A&M like Tannehill is much more experienced . Tannehill was a converted WR, didn’t have near as many reps.
We can just cut D. Haskins for free and save the draft pick
With the Bears draft position this year, they're not getting the cream of the crop. Got to try and hit with someone.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
docc
Head Coach

Darnold...? That's a current rumor..
Hoog
Player of the Month

Really liked Darnold in college and thought he was going to be big hit in the NFL but so far, not so much at all. His decision making rivals Trubisky and might actually be a tad worse. His completion percentage and TD/INT is awful as well. He is somewhat mobile and definitely has the arm strength to be successful in this league but he might actually be a step back from Mitch right now. Of course, in saying this, he did play for a pretty bad NYJ team. The potential is there to turn things around but that is NOT the kind of guy we need right now. Maybe if you could bring in Fitz and him it would work but not him as the starter alone.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I think the reporting on Carr not being super available means I have to reassess how I think he's valued pick wise - Got to figure at least a 1st as part of it

Though not going to call 4000 yards rare air - because that's foolish
RichH55
Hall of Famer

DArnold I could talk myself into

I think we might have missed on Wentz
IE
Hall of Famer

Umbali wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:42 pm
IE wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:00 pm

My wife? She's an epic badass, on any scale. MVP in any league.

Works two jobs, does all the housework and home renovations (other than the basement or garage - that's me), star shortstop, hockey forward, builds furniture as a hobby, travel planner and adventure lover. She'd kill Terminators if they existed. As a side job, takes care of 4 kids and 4 animals. On top of all that every guy I meet asks how did YOU get so lucky? I kid you not. Not bad for 51! :)

46491951_10157156008159415_5176976518571622400_o.jpg
lmao sounds like your a lazy fuck and she should leave you the first chance she gets
Sounds like someone is projecting.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Hoog wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:48 am Really liked Darnold in college and thought he was going to be big hit in the NFL but so far, not so much at all. His decision making rivals Trubisky and might actually be a tad worse. His completion percentage and TD/INT is awful as well. He is somewhat mobile and definitely has the arm strength to be successful in this league but he might actually be a step back from Mitch right now. Of course, in saying this, he did play for a pretty bad NYJ team. The potential is there to turn things around but that is NOT the kind of guy we need right now. Maybe if you could bring in Fitz and him it would work but not him as the starter alone.
Honest question, what did you see of Darnold in college that made you think he was going to be a big hit? I watched him alot in college and knew he would be the next 1st round bust QB out of USC. Had "the look" and went to a big school so got overvalued while what he did in college was did not live up to the hype. Only QB that year the "experts" projected as a first I hated more than Darnold was Rosen.

If Darnold is the Bears QB next season it will make next year a hell of alot easier to skip because we will be competing for the #1 pick
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

edep12 posted this in the Wentz thread:
edep12 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:47 pm -We give Vegas 2 firsts
-We get Carr
-Vegas gives our 2 firsts and 2 of their own for Watson

Everyone’s happy!
The top FA QB is... Mitch Trubisky. A draft-pick is an unknown and the Bears haven't got the draft capital to have a shot at one of the better prospects. With Stafford, Goff and now Wentz already changing teams the pool of possible trade QBs has diminished. Those that are left have little track record of success.

As unlikely as it may be. I'm beginning to think edep12's scenario is about the only one that could lead to Pace landing a decent starting QB for next season.

It's a scenario that actually benefits all three teams involved:

The Raiders upgrade to a franchise-calibre QB effectively for their own two first round picks. (If they throw in Mariotta too then they clear another $10m off their salary cap along with Carr's $40m over the next two seasons to cover Watson's salary for the next two years.)

The Texans, a 4-12 team with a new HC and needing to rebuild, get 4 first round picks in the next two seasons, including two in the top 20 this year when they don't currently pick until R3. (If they take Mariotta on then they have a bridge QB at a modest price.)

The Bears get a starting-calibre QB with two years left on his contract. If he works out then he can be extended. If he doesn't and the Bears move on from Pace and Nagy then he can be traded or even released at next to no cost by the new regime if they don't want him.
IE
Hall of Famer

Did you all see this? Apparently Mariota doesn't cost $10MM if he starts some large % of the season... he escalates to over $20MM.

https://www.nfl.com/news/marcus-mariota ... nificantly
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

IE wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:50 pm Did you all see this? Apparently Mariota doesn't cost $10MM if he starts some large % of the season... he escalates to over $20MM.

https://www.nfl.com/news/marcus-mariota ... nificantly
I just read that and I was thinking someone had posted the incentives in this thread but I couldn't find them when I looked back through.

That to me is the key - what triggers the incentives?

I thought I saw somewhere (????) he got $1million if voted to the pro bowl, $1 million if he was the starter and won the Super Bowl and things like. So if they are tied more to performance than just starts, it still might not be a bad idea since those will fall to the '22 cap and we should have more room to do things. If he earns $5 million of the bonus through playoff and Super Bowl wins, it doesn't bother me.

With it lowering hie trade value, what are the chance a team could ask permission to talk to him and rework the contract to a 2 year deal based on the trade? Could add a few dummy years to help spread out the signing bonus as well. The team getting him would be willing to give up a late round pick so that they don't have to worry about him signing somewhere else.

I still think we will be rolling with Foles and a rookie, but I think he is the one guy we might be able to trade for. Still drafting a guy outside the first round though I'd think.
Z Bear
MVP

Mariotta is back in play, da Raiders just asked him to take a huge pay cut. He could be released outright if he does not agree to it.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... p-pay-cut/
wulfy
MVP

I would have preferred Mariota over The Rifle.
wab
Mod

Eh, pretty sure that ship has sailed.
IE
Hall of Famer

How about Dalton to back up Mariota though? Dalton and 2 firsts for carr.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Can Dalton be asked to take a pay cut before the Ink is even dry on his contract?
IE
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:01 pm Can Dalton be asked to take a pay cut before the Ink is even dry on his contract?
You just can't call it that. You can call it an "extension". But regardless, if Raiders like Mariota even nearly as much as Carr, getting Dalton at 10MM to back him for a year at 1/3 the cost of Carr plus 2 firsts is a damned good deal.

Plus, Bears would have the Best QB they've ever had.

Win:Win
UOK
Site Admin

Burl
Crafty Veteran

I really just don't understand how anyone could rationally want Mariota here after just watching Mitch. They're the same guy.

Mariota languished for years in TN, while blessed with a fantastic OL and the best RB in the game. The moment he was replaced by Tannehill they became an instant contender. Tannehill is a guy with a similar skillset, but apparently has the mental makeup to execute in real time. At last with Mitch, he had the excuse of a not-so-great OL and a questionable OC. But Tannehill proved without a doubt that Mariota was the problem in TN.
IE
Hall of Famer

If you look at the attempts, they really didn't start running Henry heavily until after that QB swap. As a matter of fact for his first 3 seasons he averaged under 15 carries a game. Why? Who knows.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... nrDe00.htm#

And although Mariota did have one game with an 80 rating that last year with the Titans, the rest were over 90 and two of six starts he threw for 3 TDs. That gets you deified on the Bears. I'm not saying he's great. But I wouldn't compare Mariota to Mitch.

Mariota has played well and beaten a good number of good teams... he's beaten Baker, Brady, Rodgers, Luck, Dak, Watson, Ryan, Wilson, Brees (lots of playoff teams)... and even Minshew (lol). Only 8 of his 47 (17%) wins have come with a rating of under 80... his team rarely won in spite of him. Almost 45% of Mitch's wins he delivered a rating under 80.... almost half of his "wins" the team won in spite of him. They're not even close.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I want Mariota so badly.
IE
Hall of Famer

LOL you and my sister
RichH55
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:25 pm LOL you and my sister
In fairness to your Sister - He does seem like a way better guy than QB