The "Gardner Minshew" Memorial Thread of Whatever

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

HurricaneBear
Head Coach

well dplank, I think it was pretty clear to everyone else here that your bet was about the draft. If its about manhood rest assured that you won this bet.
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:30 amThis is hilarious
I find it more disappointing? TMP, come on man, you manning up? For charity?
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:40 am
I honor my bets dude. I’m solid. I’ll dig through the thread and find the charity you picked. Good game man.

I figured we were betting on Gardner to the Bears (or even somebody else) during the draft or thereafter to be their QB.

He clearly (and this depresses me) isn’t coming to the Bears. I’m all about Justin “Soldier” Fields now, but damn The Gardner as his backup would’ve been sweet.

I think you won fair and square.

Fields may be the far superior talent, but he doesn’t have a mullet or even a pair of jorts. Just sayin’. I could still see getting Fields’ jersey though.

dplank
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:02 pm

I honor my bets dude. I’m solid. I’ll dig through the thread and find the charity you picked. Good game man.

I figured we were betting on Gardner to the Bears (or even somebody else) during the draft or thereafter to be their QB.

He clearly (and this depresses me) isn’t coming to the Bears. I’m all about Justin “Soldier” Fields now, but damn The Gardner as his backup would’ve been sweet.

I think you won fair and square.

Fields may be the far superior talent, but he doesn’t have a mullet or even a pair of jorts. Just sayin’. I could still see getting Fields’ jersey though.

I appreciate you bro! Well done sir
docc
Head Coach

..Oh well...
Strawberry Fields Forever...
wab
Mod

I find it more disappointing?
I would like to place a wager with you that at some point, some player will not be traded to some team at some time.
Z Bear
MVP

Just putting this out there now....Foles contract ends in 2022, Minshew's contract ends at the same time. March 2023... the Chicago Bears will sign Minshew to back up Fields.
IE
Hall of Famer

Jesus Christ. The POINT of the entire thing was what Minshew was worth - the entire point. That's what spurred the bet - not " he has to go in the draft or you lose". He was NOT traded for a lower-round pick (or cut!... lol) JUST as much as he was not traded for a 2nd or 3rd rounder, or player. I mean seriously... how is that not just so perfectly clear?

I made it clear that I wasn't focused on the draft. But OK - people who have no stake can decide what the bet was. But my god if it is a big deal send me the venmo or paypal and I'll send the money. Who gives a shit about a few bucks that's what's hilarious.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
wab
Mod

IE wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:33 am Jesus Christ. The POINT of the entire thing was what Minshew was worth - the entire point. That's what spurred the bet - not " he has to go in the draft or you lose". He was NOT traded for a lower-round pick (or cut!... lol) JUST as much as he was not traded for a 2nd or 3rd rounder, or player. I mean seriously... how is that not just so perfectly clear?

I made it clear that I wasn't focused on the draft. But OK - people who have no stake can decide what the bet was. But my god if it is a big deal send me the venmo or paypal and I'll send the money. Who gives a shit about a few bucks that's what's hilarious.
dplank
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:33 am Jesus Christ. The POINT of the entire thing was what Minshew was worth - the entire point. That's what spurred the bet - not " he has to go in the draft or you lose". He was NOT traded for a lower-round pick (or cut!... lol) JUST as much as he was not traded for a 2nd or 3rd rounder, or player. I mean seriously... how is that not just so perfectly clear?

I made it quite clear I don't care about the $$, our bet wasn't even for money it was a friggin 6 pack FFS and TMP's was for charity so....yea, obviously it's not about a few bucks dude. :? It's just the point of it, you can't have a bet that goes on infinitely. If you wanna run it out to the start of the season that's fine with me. Anything beyond that and it's a cop out.

Respect to TMP, you're $25 is going to a good cause man. Peggy Adams saves a lot of dogs here in Florida.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Well that ended well ;-)
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

wulfy
MVP

Noooooooooo!!!!

Mississippi Mudflap is gone!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Z Bear
MVP

The Jags can't have someone with better hair than Joey...err Trevor Lawrence.
Z Bear
MVP

The Legend continues........

“I’ll say this man, in preparation for the competition, I haven’t taken a shit in weeks,” Minshew recently said during an appearance on Green Light with Chris Long (via Jamal St. Cyr of WJXT4). “Because number two isn’t an option for me. Number two is not an option.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... nique-way/
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Trevor Lawrence, Gardner Minshew still battling to be Jacksonville Jaguars' starting QB
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- One month shy of the season opener, Jacksonville Jaguars coach Urban Meyer isn't publicly ready to commit to Trevor Lawrence as his starting quarterback.

When asked whether there's still an open competition between Lawrence, this year's No. 1 pick, and Gardner Minshew to take the first snap against the Houston Texans on Sept. 12, the answer from the first-year head coach was "Yes."

That came moments after Meyer said he and his staff would determine Thursday night which player would start Saturday's preseason opener against the Cleveland Browns at TIAA Bank Field.

Lawrence and Minshew have been alternating days with the first team during training camp, with the rookie working with the first team Thursday. After an off-day, Minshew will get first-team reps Saturday.

wonder how much pressure is on Meyer to go with Lawrence after all the pre-draft hype? or how open the open competition really is? will be an interesting side story to watch play out
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
dplank
Hall of Famer

Yea, if they are trying to trade Minshew, these are the exact things they'd be leaking to the press to try and increase his value.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:26 pm The Legend continues........

“I’ll say this man, in preparation for the competition, I haven’t taken a shit in weeks,” Minshew recently said during an appearance on Green Light with Chris Long (via Jamal St. Cyr of WJXT4). “Because number two isn’t an option for me. Number two is not an option.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... nique-way/
That man is a glorious force of nature.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Minshew traded to the Eagles for a conditional 6th round pick to be the Eagles 3rd string QB. Nick Mullens released by Eagles. Its on NFL Network now
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I just heard the horrible news.

Oh God what might have been with a QB room consisting of a silky smooth handsome vegan black man like Soldier Fields coupled with an eccentric quasi-hillbilly free spirit like Minshew.

It would’ve been a pairing on the level of Mel Gibson and Danny Glover.

Sadly we will never know and we are the worse for it.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

$10 Minshew ends up starting before the season is complete.
IE
Hall of Famer

Well Plank, now I lost. I'm surprised they didn't go through this season waiting on more desperation. But you were right.

What's the direction? Booze or charity? Lol
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Dalton cost the Bears a R5 comp pick to sign and 10.5M
Minshew was had for less than a R5 and 2 years locked in at under 1M

I know which one I would have rather had.
I understand it's possible that the Jags weren't willing to trade until closer to the draft - but if not, not a good move by Pace, in my book.

(And I really doubt the Jags were being difficult about retaining him, given what the trade says about how much they value him.)
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:49 am Oh God what might have been with a QB room consisting of a silky smooth handsome vegan black man like Soldier Fields coupled with an eccentric quasi-hillbilly free spirit like Minshew.

well, when you put it that way, it IS damn sad Minshew did not become a Bear
George Carlin
IE
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:49 am I just heard the horrible news.

Oh God what might have been with a QB room consisting of a silky smooth handsome vegan black man like Soldier Fields coupled with an eccentric quasi-hillbilly free spirit like Minshew.

I share your disappointment. But there is hope. We might be able to redirect our ambiguously ghey fanboy attention to Jesper. He has the name, the flow, the style and the big Ivy brain to not give a fuck.
Screenshot_20210828-223410_Instagram.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dplank
Hall of Famer

And so endeth this debate. His value was a conditional 6th, seems right.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:39 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:49 am I just heard the horrible news.

I share your disappointment. But there is hope. We might be able to redirect our ambiguously ghey fanboy attention to Jesper. He has the name, the flow, the style and the big Ivy brain to not give a fuck.

Screenshot_20210828-223410_Instagram.jpg
Very nice! Loving the pool swan.

To quote The Empire Strikes Back:

Obi-Wan: That boy is our last hope.

Yoda: No, there is another.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:57 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:49 am Oh God what might have been with a QB room consisting of a silky smooth handsome vegan black man like Soldier Fields coupled with an eccentric quasi-hillbilly free spirit like Minshew.

Just imagine it....

It's Film Day.

In walks Fields with his lunch. Very macro-nutrient balanced vegan meal. Some tofu. Glass of soy milk. Dressed appropriately.

Minshew is already there. The mullet is present and accounted for. Of course he's wearing his own homemade jorts. Either a Mack Truck or Lynard Skynard t-shirt with holes in it. Last night's ribs for lunch. Wash it down with some moonshine that he's branded Minshine made from a still behind the building that Nagy doesn't know about.

Talking about how they're going to beat the Packers on Sunday.

Dammit it would've been beautiful.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

only reason minshew is there before fields is because that's where he woke up. hope the film room has good ventilation.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:03 am
Boris13c wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:57 pm

Just imagine it....

It's Film Day.

In walks Fields with his lunch. Very macro-nutrient balanced vegan meal. Some tofu. Glass of soy milk. Dressed appropriately.

Minshew is already there. The mullet is present and accounted for. Of course he's wearing his own homemade jorts. Either a Mack Truck or Lynard Skynard t-shirt with holes in it. Last night's ribs for lunch. Wash it down with some moonshine that he's branded Minshine made from a still behind the building that Nagy doesn't know about.

Talking about how they're going to beat the Packers on Sunday.

Dammit it would've been beautiful.
RustinFields wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:42 am only reason minshew is there before fields is because that's where he woke up. hope the film room has good ventilation.

:rofl: :toast: :thumbsup: :clap:
George Carlin
dplank
Hall of Famer

Well, putting a pin in this thing...

I just want to acknowledge both IE and TMP for being good sports and paying up for a mano y mano wager - and sending a few bucks to an animal rescue! Thank you both!!