MVP

Super Bowl!!!!

not
UOK
Site Admin

Yeah, I mean, sure. Whatever.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Way more than I would have spent. But I probably prefer him to Foles. Assuming they are keeping Foles, that's the type of QB room I reasonably expected. Just for more $ than I'd have liked.
wab
Mod

They better figure out the OL because Dalton took a beating last season.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:07 pm They better figure out the OL because Dalton took a beating last season.
They have a lot to figure out. A lot.

And the team shows no signs of knowing the first step. They've done everything wrong from day one of this offseason, and I expect the missteps to continue.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:07 pm They better figure out the OL because Dalton took a beating last season.
Obviously RT is a big question mark as we stand here today, but OL that didn't feature Coward kept our QBs reasonably clean last year. Some depth and a high ish draft pick and I feel reasonably okay going forward (and then building in that).

But yea, each of Dalton and Foles probably carry injury risk, so the redunacy for that alone seems... Reasonable to me. But the internet apparently disagrees with that by and large.

It's just too much money. But the Bears are also pretty officially past managing the cap like a "normal" team. So hey might as well jump with two feet, what's another 5M overpay.
Artbest
Player of the Month

Foles and Dalton. Jim Miller-Shane Matthews redux
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Someone please report back after the presser and let me know how the explain this as a good move.

As I said in another thread the only thing I can goes along the line of "Well, we have Nick and really like what he does back there. He sits back in the pocket and doesn't move much, so the O-Line knows where he is at all times. With Andy he brings that skill set to the offense. So whatever we have planned for Nick will work just as well for Andy and we won't have to change up what we do much. That was the drawback with bring Mitch back. He's just too mobile to fit into what we like to do with Nick>"
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Goodness, I just got an alert on phone from Yahoo Sports "Red Rifle is headed to the Windy City." I'm not reading that crap.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Ugh! Imean, he can read defenses better than Trubisky, and he has a lot more experience. But I don't think Dalton is the type of QB that ages like a bottle of fine wine. More like a gallon of milk. I sure hope I am proven wrong, but I don't think I will be. The only saving grace here is this;

We use our first round pick on a stud LT. Then run out: LT - Daniels - Mustipher - Whitehair - Ifedi(or someone that can anchor the RT spot). That might give us a decent enough line to protect Dalton.
GSH
MVP

Arob is going to be less than enthused by this
UOK
Site Admin

Highlights from last year. Even in those mostly uninspiring clips, he makes Trubisky and Foles look like amateurs.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

When I was hating this signing in the other thread it didn't occur to me that they'd also overpay.
xyt in the discord chats
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

What an absolutely shitty birthday present! Does he come with a gift receipt?

Are all you anti-Trubiskyites happy now?

:frustrated: :kickme: :raspberry: :thumbdown:
Last edited by Yogi da Bear on Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

Brutal, just brutal. Yes, I wanted to roll ahead with Foles, while bringing in linemen help through FA and draft, but I’d have preferred to give a rookie the backup job. Dalton adds nothing but a false sense of security.

Fuck George McCaskey and everybody else from him down.
IotaNet
MVP

So does this mean they will roll with Dalton and Foles or does this set up releasing Foles and drafting a QB in the first round? Perhaps making a play for Mac Jones?
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wiNDycityfan wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:24 pm Brutal, just brutal. Yes, I wanted to roll ahead with Foles, while bringing in linemen help through FA and draft, but I’d have preferred to give a rookie the backup job. Dalton adds nothing but a false sense of security.

Fuck George McCaskey and everybody else from him down.
A false sense of security? More like an honest sense of insecurity, particularly with both of our QBs being essentially on 1-year deals.

Welcome to the wonderful world of being an undesirable destination. I don't know how you could expect anything more. Next step... Trade up and draft the best option you can get, since that guy has no choice BUT to come here.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Dardango
Journeyman

Perfect. These dudes just added the final red nail to their career coffins.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

We probably trade Foles, but then trade a lot to move up for Mac Jones. Classic Pace overpay a FA and then draft same position.

I think ARob isn't signing. I mean you could say "he spent large chunks of games not throwing to AJ Green when he was elite but did give him some targets." and that's most persuasive argument. It's better than he had 3 quality WRs last year and a better OL and did nothing with Dallas.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
dplank
Hall of Famer

Great so now we have two Foles and no money for Trent. Worst case scenario IMO. Unless this is the first move that leads to Watson or Wilson, I want Pace walked out of the building by security.
G08
Hall of Famer

What the fuck are we doing...
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Z Bear
MVP

IF it makes ya'll feel any better Tyrod Taylor jsut signed a 1 yr $12.5M deal with Houston
Artbest
Player of the Month

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
5m
Chicago made "a very aggressive pursuit" of Seahawks QB Russell Wilson, per sources, and the Bears were told that Seattle is not trading him at this time.

The Bears were one of four teams Wilson's agent named as a place of interest. Now Chicago has an agreement with Andy Dalton.
G08
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:23 pm What an absolutely shitty birthday present! Does he come with a gift receipt?

Are all you anti-Trubiskyites happy now?

:frustrated: :kickme: :raspberry: :thumbdown:
I bet they are.

Trubisky's QBR last season (61.3) is greater than every single season of Andy Dalton's except for 2015.

What a fucking joke.
Last edited by G08 on Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:22 pm When I was hating this signing in the other thread it didn't occur to me that they'd also overpay.
Really?

Overpaying has been on the top of my mind this whole time.

Anyways from a market perspective this isn't looking like much, if at all an overpay. Tyrod Taylor just got 12.5M. Although the market does indeed seem inflated for whatever reason.

Will be interesting to see which, if any of the low end starter/high end backup types actually sign small deals. My bet now is on Mitch being the only one who might lol.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

You think it's fair to comp a Texans signing to anything?
xyt in the discord chats
IE
Hall of Famer

Pace (in early January): "Matt, we have to talk. You're not looking good."

Nagy: "But the Oline crushed the QB I liked. He beat Brady but then had no chance. And then later when the line was better my guy was hurt and then I was stuck with YOUR bum-slaying choice."

Pace: "So you're saying it's all bad luck on the Oline and Trubisky's fault?"

Nagy: "Yes - I can win if you just fix the Oline and ABT."

Pace: "So it is written..."
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Offensive line has to be the big focus. Realistically if they are starting the likes of Coward and Hambrook for stretches next season neither QB will be alive at the season finale.