Full Homerism is setting in

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

I'm watching this shit with Deshaun Watson happening and feeling like we dodged a major bullet there. It may turn out to be nothing, and I ALWAYS wait for the facts to be fully vetted before making judgement - but it's not a good looking situation right now.

Then I look at what happened to Mitch and how the league valued his play - they didn't, like, at all. 1 yr 2.5M is laughable for an NFL QB. Chase Daniel makes 2x this. The one year thing I get, he tried to reset his career/value and try to do something next year. But the fact that his value for that one year was just 2.5M? Wow, that's a total slap in the face.

Anyhow, I'm thinking about this and it finally hits me (I know it hit many of you long ago, I'm slow to come around) that Dalton was probably the best QB we were going to get barring a highly unlikely Russ trade. And based on Mitch's league value, it seems pretty likely to me that Dalton will be a pretty significant upgrade over Mitch. We improved at the QB position.

We also retained ARob and as of right now Hicks (I just can't stress enough how important I think that is). With Desai taking over and a front 7 getting Goldman back + Nichols coming of age, I really think this defense could return to dominant form. With the afore mentioned QB improvement, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I see a 10-11 win team here. Especially if we can add a solid OT at #20. I'm not even that worried about losing Fuller, I think we'll see closer to 2018 QB pressure and that will make the whole backend look good - even EJax may return to his turnover days of yore.

Even at the height of my anger about this offseason, I always figured I'd be full on excited by time the season arrived. I'm here earlier than expected.

FWIW, I still think Pace should be fired but I've thought that for 2 years now and nothing has changed my mind. The Mitch Miss warranted it IMO. A big year in 2021 would change my mind though.
IE
Hall of Famer

My name is Eric and I am a homer as well. Is this like an AA meeting? lol

I think there are still moves planned to be made at QB, OL and other spots, with Pace having created a fair amount of flexibility for himself (a booby prize for not having signed Wilson and Williams, I guess). I think Bad Flanders nailed it. Pace thinks he's smart, and deliberately hedges and thinks it is a head fake to the league. But it IS a tell that you can figure out what he's going to do based on what he's done. He IS going to draft a QB. And he IS going to draft an OT and a CB.

Not that I object at all to those things. He hasn't done exactly what I'd prefer. But he has not trashed the franchise or painted himself into a corner as some are portraying. This could end up being a very competitive team with a stronger Oline and a QB or two who can actually beat good teams.

Now watch - just when I say I agree/believe he's predictable and predict what he's going to do... watch him go and do something like trade up for Pitts and trade Dalton or Foles for Minshew.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I think you said it yourself in the title of this thread.

Very respectfully, please snap out of it.

The cap situation is horrendous. We just signed Carrot Top at $10M causing us to lose Fuller. Our two QBs have a combined age of almost 70 probably.

I do agree that the Watson situation could be a blessing in disguise. That's still no excuse to sign Carrot Top. The answer is a young franchise QB that we can build around.

Pace's strategy has failed. Nagy has failed to develop the QB.

The safeties coach is now the DC. There's going to be a learning curve there.

I don't see a specific area of this team that makes me think we win at least one playoff game.

Now I want to be wrong. I really do. If we draft somebody like Mac Jones and it's a Godsend, few people will be happier than me. I just don't think that's going to happen.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I'm sure I'll talk myself into Dalton later on (albeit with a lowered team ceiling)
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Hopefully, with the return of Goldman and a more aggressive DC, we'll see a more attacking, ball-hawking defense generating some turnovers and getting more sacks and interception. On offense, it's simple. Develop a modern NFL one. More speed. More playmakers. At this point, they're going to have to draft some and hope they can get ahead of the rookie curve very quickly. Unfortunately, it's rare for a WR to make a significant impact his rookie season but hopefully one can do at least what Mooney accomplished his first year. Kmet stepping up his game. Graham or his replacement being a significant red zone target. Monty playing at a high level and possibly a rookie/UDFA running back also being a threat. An OL which allows the QB time to throw the ball. A QB who can read the defense and actually make the right throws. Dalton will certainly be better than Mitch at doing that.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:28 am Then I look at what happened to Mitch and how the league valued his play - they didn't, like, at all. 1 yr 2.5M is laughable for an NFL QB. Chase Daniel makes 2x this. The one year thing I get, he tried to reset his career/value and try to do something next year. But the fact that his value for that one year was just 2.5M? Wow, that's a total slap in the face.
Again: uninformed garbage.

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
dplank
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:06 pm
dplank wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:28 am Then I look at what happened to Mitch and how the league valued his play - they didn't, like, at all. 1 yr 2.5M is laughable for an NFL QB. Chase Daniel makes 2x this. The one year thing I get, he tried to reset his career/value and try to do something next year. But the fact that his value for that one year was just 2.5M? Wow, that's a total slap in the face.

You mean the team that just signed him is saying nice things about him? Shocking!

The market spoke. Loudly. Including the team that knew him best, ours.
wulfy
MVP

I’d still offer two firsts for Watson fwiw.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

dplank do you have a split personality. This is quite a turnaround and in approx. a week?

Not feeling this team at the moment, they may not come until 4-5 games in. Not seeing a bona fide playoff team, one that doesn't back in, with this group.

The Dalton thing was really a non-issue with me, just glad the team was not mortgaged for Wilson.

I do believe we will see much better decision making from Dalton and he is an improvement over #10.

This team is really just avg, at best.
wab
Mod

This is an emotional roller coaster
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Until the Bears have adequate weapons on offense and three starting-quality CBs, I can't join in the fun. This looks like a 6 to 8 win team right now assuming a decent draft
xyt in the discord chats
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

First 17-0 regular season team ever. Let's go!!
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

I follow what Otis said about our likely outcome being average - I can live with that if it gets rid of Nagly.

If he can learn from his mistakes and actually become a more competitive General Manager, maybe next month Pace can do a better job with his second shot at drafting a franchise quarterback??........and maybe he can do a better job of hiring a head coach at the end of this season???

To me, it seems reasonable that both outcomes could take place. So hell yes I do see some light piercing the darkness.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

You know, I've been in Mitch's corner since we drafted him. Wanted him back. But man oh man, players don't take less to be a backup in Buffalo. lol They just don't.
Umbali
MVP

I think you all are all over thinking this.

Lets be honest.

We are all Bears fans.

For years!

We expect disappointment but something makes us come back.

So just come on and do it. You dont need all these well thought out posts of outrage.

Take a sip.

mmmm its good huh?

Cmon....take another one!

Omg it just hit....its gonna work out!

Bears win the SB!!
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:01 pm

You know, I've been in Mitch's corner since we drafted him. Wanted him back. But man oh man, players don't take less to be a backup in Buffalo. lol They just don't.
Yeah the GM had some local guys criticizing him on the radio and he basically came out and said that there were a bunch of other teams that wanted Mitch and he was able to get him at a great price. Nothing more than patting himself on the back.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:49 pm

Yeah the GM had some local guys criticizing him on the radio and he basically came out and said that there were a bunch of other teams that wanted Mitch and he was able to get him at a great price. Nothing more than patting himself on the back.
I'm here too.

He didn't go back home to Cleveland. He didn't go to Carolina where he played college ball. He went to Buffalo NY to be a backup. Willingly. For 1 third of what he made last season.

His market is excrement.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Is our offense better than last year's? Red Rifle marginally. OL essentially the same. WRs essentially the same. Of course, we could certainly draft some pieces to improve things. But draft picks are uncertain. Was Anthony Miller a R2 improvement? We'll see what happens.

Is our defense worse than last year's? Add Goldman and lose Fuller and likely Hicks. SS and one of the ILB spots are up in the air. To answer no to this question, you have to assume that Hicks stays and Desai is a wunderkind defensive mastermind who restores the Vic Fangio attack to mitigate the loss of a pro bowl CB with an uncertain draft pick. The realist in me thinks the D is taking a noteworthy step backward.

My crystal ball says sub-500 in 2021.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:33 pm Is our offense better than last year's? Red Rifle marginally. OL essentially the same. WRs essentially the same. Of course, we could certainly draft some pieces to improve things. But draft picks are uncertain. Was Anthony Miller a R2 improvement? We'll see what happens.

Is our defense worse than last year's? Add Goldman and lose Fuller and likely Hicks. SS and one of the ILB spots are up in the air. To answer no to this question, you have to assume that Hicks stays and Desai is a wunderkind defensive mastermind who restores the Vic Fangio attack to mitigate the loss of a pro bowl CB with an uncertain draft pick. The realist in me thinks the D is taking a noteworthy step backward.

My crystal ball says sub-500 in 2021.
Hicks is most likely back, so I'd book that unless it changes. And Pagano = Mel Tucker, so I don't think it's a stretch AT ALL to think the scheme side will be better with Desai. Add Goldman, which is HUGE. Nichols/Roquan grew into stud players last year. Lose Fuller. I think we could return to a dominant unit.

Offense is basically the same, with a small upgrade at QB. But the OL played MUCH better late in the season as Mustipher was a find. Draft an OT and I could see how that unit will be better than the 2020 unit. WR same. RB not same man, we get Cohen back! TE will be better as well, Kmet emerged late and will be a very good player for us next season.

Have some hope man!

G08
Hall of Famer

I look at how much Josh Allen has developed under their coaching staff and think it's a terrific fit.

To each his own, I guess.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
malk
Head Coach

Losing Fuller is going to hurt but as people have said, getting Goldman back means there's no reason not to expect us to be similar on that end.

On offence, the line should be better based on the improvement towards the end of the year and Daniels being back. So if Robinson is around then I fail to see how there will be a massive regression there and the better line play means I could easily see a decent improvement.

Plus Pace normally gets something from the draft...

So why not 10-6.

Of course we're doing bugger all in the playoffs and in 2022 we'll have holes all over the roster so none of this is trending towards winning a Super Bowl but as far as an individual season goes we'll could well be a decent team.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Burl
Crafty Veteran

I'm seeing a very mediocre squad heading into 2021. I predict 6-10.

The defense is a year older and lost its best DB. Pagano's gone, but there no evidence the new guy will be an upgrade. I hope he is, but I wouldn't bet on it.

On offense, we're pretty mediocre across the board.
Mediocre QB, Mediocre llne, a couple good but not elite skill players in Robinson and Monty, but otherwise meh. Not a gamebreaking player on the roster.
Maybe Mooney and Kmet develop?

Basically unless we catch lighting in a bottle with some rookie, it's a pretty underwhelming roster.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I'm not excited about this team yet. If they knock it out of the park in the draft, I could get excited (Slight trade down in the 1st and still land Jenkins, get another OL, WR and CB that could all start day 1).

But as much as I dislike the Dalton signing, it is likely the best we could have hoped for this off season. None of the trades for QB was realistic. Our cap situation is crap, so I'll accept what they have done thus far.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I think the team suffered from not having conditioning during mini camps last year. Lots of the defensive guys looked slow including Travethan and Hicks. Even though they're professionals, some guys just don't get as motivated to work out. Others might have been caught with Gyms closed that they normally rely on to work out in.

I'm hoping with things trending towards opening up a bit more that we'll see guys look ready and in shape.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:28 pm I think the team suffered from not having conditioning during mini camps last year. Lots of the defensive guys looked slow including Travethan and Hicks. Even though they're professionals, some guys just don't get as motivated to work out. Others might have been caught with Gyms closed that they normally rely on to work out in.

I'm hoping with things trending towards opening up a bit more that we'll see guys look ready and in shape.
And part of what hurt Nick Foles was the lack of minicamp time, which will probably happen again, this time to the other new guy at QB.

What I think is going to be interesting is how the team responds to the "Rex" effect we're going to see this year. You remember that, right? When the fans were so down on Grossman that at some point, they'd boo every incomplete pass. How is the team and the coaching staff going to react to that when it happens?

This year is going to be ugly.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:28 pm I think the team suffered from not having conditioning during mini camps last year. Lots of the defensive guys looked slow including Travethan and Hicks. Even though they're professionals, some guys just don't get as motivated to work out. Others might have been caught with Gyms closed that they normally rely on to work out in.

Time is undefeated

Roquan wasn't ummmmm living the Monks life and he looked fine
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:08 pm

Time is undefeated

Roquan wasn't ummmmm living the Monks life and he looked fine
Time is a factor, sure. When I was in college, I could put down 3-4 cases of beer a week, but I also put the time in the gym to be 240lbs of muscle. Now if I drink 6 beers a week and I'm sporting a solid gut.

My point was that some of these guys aren't putting in the work in the off season. There will always be guys who relied on conditioning in mini camps instead of working out on their own.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I just don't see enough improvement to predict more than 8-9 or 9-8 at best. Will this realistically be enough to cause a full scale housecleaning? Depressingly, I doubt it.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Wounded Bear
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:55 am
The cap situation is horrendous. We just signed Carrot Top at $10M causing us to lose Fuller. Our two QBs have a combined age of almost 70 probably.

I do agree that the Watson situation could be a blessing in disguise. That's still no excuse to sign Carrot Top. The answer is a young franchise QB that we can build around.

Pace's strategy has failed. Nagy has failed to develop the QB.

The safeties coach is now the DC. There's going to be a learning curve there.

I don't see a specific area of this team that makes me think we win at least one playoff game.
Precisely.

And if Pace does land Russell Wilson, that deal will be an albatross much like the Khalil Mack trade.

The only way we legitimately rebound is by leaning heavily on the draft. Gigantic deals for any position will kill this team in the long term.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

After going 62-17 from 84-87 and only having one Super Bowl, my homerism died off after that. If those great teams couldn't win an SB, it seemed like what team could? None since, so it is like what is there be a homer about? No team has given me the feeling since those teams.