Happy Draft Week!

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

IE
Hall of Famer

How much is the draft going to dominate your week prior to Thursday? And once the draft starts, are you glued to the event through all the rounds?

For me there's a little lull once we're this close, unless there is a big trade or something to pay attention to pre-draft. But then Thursday will feel like a playoff game day. I'll be glued to the TV all Thursday and Friday night. Saturday I'll probably be trying to get a little work done at my desk here at home while watching.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

While it’s hard to be excited during the first couple of rounds given Pace’s penchant for failure early on in the draft I’m still excited.

If the top 10 picks go by with 5 QBs taken and we haven’t traded up I’ll be excited knowing that at least one highly rated OL prospect is dropping.

The problem is that will Pace do that? I see them being dumb enough to take QB6 at 20 or something else dumb like WR or CB.

I’m not sure what the thought process is where Pace wants these offensive weapons but then the QB has no time to throw.

The OL is such a disaster that the first and second round picks should be OL. But that just won’t happen and I’ll be upset.

Now if we wind up with my idea for the 666 trade for Minshew I won’t care who we take in the draft. I’ll be too busy going to Fanatics to buy my jersey.

I will be watching the first round and the second.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I usually watch the first round then try to tune in just for our picks for the next 2 rounds. Then I’ll scan this board for picks/reactions to the lower round guys since I won’t know who the hell they are anyways.
IE
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:05 am I usually watch the first round then try to tune in just for our picks for the next 2 rounds. Then I’ll scan this board for picks/reactions to the lower round guys since I won’t know who the hell they are anyways.
On the lower round picks it is almost always "who"? And then I look them up and look at the scouting and tape for each one, and it is kind of like opening presents at Christmas when you have no idea what you're getting. "Oh... OK... yeah that's cool - thanks!" But then there also a few that I would kind of want to be "returned". lol
wulfy
MVP

Me:
IE
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:54 am Me:
Exactly!
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

The draft is this week?
wab
Mod

My wife surprised me with a fishing trip in the middle of nowhere west Texas with a couple of friends...and I leave Thursday afternoon.

I love and appreciate that she did this. But...

I don't really fish.
It's the weekend of the draft.
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:09 am My wife surprised me with a fishing trip in the middle of nowhere west Texas with a couple of friends...and I leave Thursday afternoon.

I don't really fish.
Wow... that's aggressively not passive. lol

I'm fortunate mine has a bridal shower on Sunday and will be busy with a couple of other ladies/girls prepping for that. All I have to do is finish mulching. I'll probably knock that out on Saturday AM and then tune in at noon for Pace's 5 day 3 picks.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Draft weekend can be far, far more debilitating than watching a terrible game.

I've glued myself to TV/Internet for the entire weekend of 10-15 hours before and come away utterly furious and astounded that the people doing this could have multi-million dollar jobs.

I learned my lesson and just can't devote that much energy to it anymore.

But I'll leave a tracker on, pop in to check on it every so often, and settle in for a little bit before each Bear pick, figure out what I think would be a good idea, then be disappointed at what someone else thought was a good idea.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

IE wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:37 am
wab wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:09 am My wife surprised me with a fishing trip in the middle of nowhere west Texas with a couple of friends...and I leave Thursday afternoon.

I don't really fish.
Wow... that's aggressively not passive. lol

I'm fortunate mine has a bridal shower on Sunday and will be busy with a couple of other ladies/girls prepping for that. All I have to do is finish mulching. I'll probably knock that out on Saturday AM and then tune in at noon for Pace's 5 day 3 picks.
My lovely bride knows me better than that. LOL

I'm a total draft nerd, and I don't hide it. So this weekend she has her own thing to do, and will graciously check in on me throughout the evenings/Saturday.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

The closer it gets, the stronger my desire for that elusive QB.

I think the right thing to do is to trade down and collect extra picks (OL, QB, OL, WR), but God knows I’d lose my mind (in a good way) if somehow we figure out a way to get Justin Fields without depleting the team beyond recognition.

Looking forward to a season with Andy Dalton is the most depressing feeling. But I can live with the prospect of having Davis Mills or Kyle Trask waiting in the wings.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wiNDycityfan wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:49 am The closer it gets, the stronger my desire for that elusive QB.

I think the right thing to do is to trade down and collect extra picks (OL, QB, OL, WR), but God knows I’d lose my mind (in a good way) if somehow we figure out a way to get Justin Fields without depleting the team beyond recognition.

Looking forward to a season with Andy Dalton is the most depressing feeling. But I can live with the prospect of having Davis Mills or Kyle Trask waiting in the wings.
Yeah, the only thing to look forward to in a season like this is young players developing.

But whatever QB they land probably shouldn't play in 2021 and probably won't, as they will likely be in the playoff hunt all season long. So you can't even see anything going on there.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:43 am Draft weekend can be far, far more debilitating than watching a terrible game.

I've glued myself to TV/Internet for the entire weekend of 10-15 hours before and come away utterly furious and astounded that the people doing this could have multi-million dollar jobs.

I learned my lesson and just can't devote that much energy to it anymore.

But I'll leave a tracker on, pop in to check on it every so often, and settle in for a little bit before each Bear pick, figure out what I think would be a good idea, then be disappointed at what someone else thought was a good idea.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

This sounds exactly like me
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I'm fired up about it, and I've been listening to a million podcasts about it. I started to explain to my wife that round 1 is thursday night and she cut me off because her feelings were hurt that I thought she wouldn't know about something so important. :) I'm planning to watch as much as I can
xyt in the discord chats
docc
Head Coach

Agita Thursday...
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I will be glad when it is over. The hype and lead up seem to be far more exciting that the actual draft itself. More anxious hoping Pace doesn't outthink himself. Thurs night is father in law night, so we usually watch baseball (yawn) for him. I will make sure I turn over for the Bears pick (even Pace does not trade out of it).
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I will watch it all Thursday. Sadly it's my anniversary weekend, so Friday and Saturday are out for me. I may have a bit of bladder problem during Friday's dinner and may have to run to the bathroom several times to check the draft tracker. :rofl: :rofl:
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Since it's moved to being Thurs-Sat, it's been tougher for me to watch the whole thing. I used to when it was just Saturday and Sunday. Some of it's been work and travel in the past and some of it is just other obligations (Kentucky Derby Party). Still excited though I know I'm going to be somehow disappointed.

Agree with wiNDycityfan that with how the talent matches so many holes it'd be great to trade down a bit, but yeah if Fields dropped I'd be all over that. The group after the top 5, I've gone back and forth on all of them so don't know who I want and where I think it would be good value anymore.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Perfect.

For me, it's an entire draft feast fest. Used to be two, now it's three days.

This year, I'm doing Italian Prime Rib Thursday on my Green Mountain Grill with my special Horseradish Cream sauce.

Friday will be Italian Beef Sandwiches. I make these a special way with a v-cut in the top of a complete bun with my horseradish cream spread inside. I then use 1 ladle of Au Jus into the bun followed by the thinly sliced heated leftover roast beef with another ladle of Au Jus on top, followed by italian Hot Giardiniera mixed with sautéed onions and peppers, and then the lid.

Haven't decided on Saturday's menu yet.

The draft is a perfect vehicle for a feast fest. It gives me plenty of time to cook between picks where I can just listen to the draft as it goes. Of course towards the end of each day, I start getting a bit bleary eyed. lol
MoFugger
Head Coach

I don't really fish.
Learn to love to fish. The pics will still be there when you get back.
docc
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:04 pm
Perfect.

This year, I'm doing Italian Prime Rib Thursday on my Green Mountain Grill with my special Horseradish Cream sauce.

Friday will be Italian Beef Sandwiches. I make these a special way with a v-cut in the top of a complete bun with my horseradish cream spread inside. I then use 1 ladle of Au Jus into the bun followed by the thinly sliced heated leftover roast beef with another ladle of Au Jus on top, followed by italian Hot Giardiniera mixed with sautéed onions and peppers, and then the lid.

The draft is a perfect vehicle for a feast fest. It gives me plenty of time to cook between picks where I can just listen to the draft as it goes. Of course towards the end of each day, I start getting a bit bleary eyed. lol
Pasian..
A che ora è la cena ?

I got some travel time I think..
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I've watched the draft with more or less the same group of guys since 1997, and my buddy's house every year.
3 of us have been there every year, with 2 others missing a few years each.
Routine is roughly the same every year...we con the one guy into entering our mocks in the excel for the draft contest (similar to UOK's only you get 3 for correct spot, 2 for being 1 away and 1 for being 2 away).
We get a sheet and 50 wings for thursday, go to breakfast friday morning, eat leftovers for lunch, get subs/burgers for dinner while watching day 2.
We also have some kind of sporting ps4 tourney going all weekend on TV #2. At times that can be as entertaining as the draft coverage
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Here's my Thursday...
Wake up an hour earlier than usual, so that I can take my wife to her brother's house 80 minutes away. Help my brother in law move heavy stuff into his moving truck. Kiss my wife goodbye as she gets in moving truck to help her brother move 1000 miles away. (She won't return for 2 weeks.) Drive back home and start work an hour earlier than usual (10:30am). Get off the prearranged hour earlier than usual at 7pm and contact my son to see how his divorce mediation went. If his ex agrees to the likely recommendation to make him the custodial (unlikely), I'll be watching the draft at my Packer fan son's home with my grandkids. Otherwise, I'll be arriving at our traditional bar we go to for dinner and the draft at 7:20ish.

Honestly, I've mostly fought off the urge to be a draftnik, which I was for 20 years. Whoever they pick, I'll hope for the best and see what happens when fall approaches.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

docc wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:02 pm
Yogi da Bear wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:04 pm

Perfect.

Pasian..
A che ora è la cena ?

I got some travel time I think..
I'm a pretty good cook and my daughter's real good. Yes, she particpates. And yes, all my kids are back at home now with Covid (who says good things don't come from a quaratine lol). And it's a Feast Fest. Something is being served all day. Don't know yet what my daughter plans on making.

I'm sure we'll have a soup going (usually do) and get some wings together or something like that.
Mikefive wrote: Here's my Thursday...
Wake up an hour earlier than usual, so that I can take my wife to her brother's house 80 minutes away. Help my brother in law move heavy stuff into his moving truck. Kiss my wife goodbye as she gets in moving truck to help her brother move 1000 miles away. (She won't return for 2 weeks.) Drive back home and start work an hour earlier than usual (10:30am). Get off the prearranged hour earlier than usual at 7pm and contact my son to see how his divorce mediation went. If his ex agrees to the likely recommendation to make him the custodial (unlikely), I'll be watching the draft at my Packer fan son's home with my grandkids. Otherwise, I'll be arriving at our traditional bar we go to for dinner and the draft at 7:20ish.

Honestly, I've mostly fought off the urge to be a draftnik, which I was for 20 years. Whoever they pick, I'll hope for the best and see what happens when fall approaches.
Well, I can understand why she would contest custody. lol

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
IE
Hall of Famer

Man, that Italian beef sounds GREAT!! I should bust out something like that out. Used to watch the draft with a couple of buddies in the '90s but it's gone virtual for a long time now - mostly just a long group chat text with people bitching. LOL

Yeah we have 3 of the 6 20-somethings living with us because of Covid, for the last year. If it wasn't for that, it would just be Annie and I and the 4 (other) animals. I like having people around. I get annoyed when the kids are inconsiderate sometimes (leave messes and expect their mother to clean up). But it is more fun having them around than not. It will be very quiet next year.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I'm something of a cook myself. I do all kinds of things across the spectrum of food. Mainly stove top and in the oven. I do have a grill, but it's too much of a chore for me.

If you guys are ever looking for a chili or jambalaya recipe let me know. I've also become an expert at sourcing and cooking bacon.

My meatloaf is also fantastic. But yes I do higher end things. Easter was surf and turf. Prime rib happens every now and then. Steaks. All that stuff. On the weekends I cook at least one really nice dinner for the family. During the week that's obviously a no-go.

I do desserts too. My pumpkin pie rules.
IE
Hall of Famer

I think it is more of a hassle to cook inside, TMP. I use my grill 4-5 days a week. I'm pretty good with steaks and chops, but my grilled salmon and bbq chicken always have people saying "man - this is better than I've had in any restaurant".

I'm doing Weight Watchers again because I gained 30 in the last year and a half. I had been good for over 2 years, and had lost 40+. I blame covid. And a refrigerator full of beer in the garage when I'm grilling. OK - and also ice cream and all the danged desserts the wife has been making for the kids here during Covid. It's insane. Anyway.... mostly I'm grilling chicken and fish and veggies, and making a ton so I have good healthy leftovers for lunch all week.

Weight watchers really works for me. I just get back into bad habits during football season because I really like pizza, wings & beer - lots of beer... north central Illinois-class beer consumption, which can be astonishing to casual observers.

For the draft Thursday I think I'll go with the 2 in thick pork chops with grilled onions and some red skin potatoes I make similar to the ones Bob Chinn's used to serve, if you've ever had those. I'll do it in honor of my Dad, who used to love to make & eat that meal. He was a true cynic on all my teams (Bears, Illini, Cubs) and hated to cheer for teams that couldn't get their shit together. He would have LOVED Patrick Mahomes. He was an engineer and just liked when people figured out how to do things right. So when Pace's move comes up I can have a chuckle in my Dad's honor.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Hey TMP, PM me those Chili and Jumbalaya recipes!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Living away from Chicago now for 40+ years, the Internet and tv are great for actually gettings Bears' draft info, the pickings were lean when I depended on the local newspapers, especially for any write up on who the team actually took. Yeah, information overload can be a problem but most of the self-professed draft "experts" aren't working with much more info than the guy on the street and even the good ones really don't have an inside line to what teams are thinking. We laugh about GMs holding their cards close to their chest but it's the truth. I don't think most if any of the GMs would tell their mommas ahead of time who they were going to draft. I'll watch the first, keep an ear on the 2nd and 3rd, check periodically for rounds 4 to 7.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.