:rofl: Twitter is a weird place.

Too funny.
WP.1
Player of the Month

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i legit laughed out loud at this:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... ibilities/

“It’s been one of those quiet offseasons you dream about,” Rodgers said with no hint of irony, “where you can kind of just go through your process on your own, quietly, and that’s all you can ask for as an older player in the league and someone who’s been around for a long time and just enjoys that time to yourself, just relax, to not be bothered, to not have any obligations or anything going on. You know, I think that’s what this offseason has been about. It’s been about really enjoying my time and spending it where I want to spend it not feeling like I have to go anywhere. but still be an NFL player at the same time. It’s been great.”

he's such a messy bitch, i love him now.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Because I love to hear Pack fans whine and bitch, I have been listening to sportstalk radio station out of Milwaukee off and on the past few weeks. I can tell you this is getting more play nationally than locally. The past few days, in the morning, there has been little talk about it. On ESPN's Get UP, it is a thing every effing morning. When you don't have anything new to say, don't cover the shit. But, it is ESPN and they run shit into the ground.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Packers have done Rodgers basically zero favors over his entire career in terms of roster construction.

And they still won a Super Bowl with him.

When you have a truly great QB - you might still win a Super Bowl even with - but you won't win multiple (Good for us)

Something to remember when people throw for 4500 Yards next year but win 3 games and aren't even top 15 in Scoring. THat's NOT elite.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

A possibility which Rodgers would have to pull the trigger on quickly:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/aaron-rodg ... 04968.html

I don't know if an opt-out year for this purpose would count as a service year on the contract.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:14 am A possibility which Rodgers would have to pull the trigger on quickly:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/aaron-rodg ... 04968.html

I don't know if an opt-out year for this purpose would count as a service year on the contract.
That would be epic.
Xee
Site Admin

If that's true this makes things more interesting.

He can opt out which will freeze his contract and ensure he doesn't lose that $18 mill but next year he will be back at square one since the dead money hit to trade him (over $30 mill I think) will still be there. So this move wouldn't make it any easier for the Packers to trade him.

At the most, I think it gives him some leverage to not play this year and really not be the financially worse off for it but the Packers would be screwed. On the flip side, that's one year of not playing football for a guy who will be 38 going into the 2022 season.

Before this I had no doubt that the Packers would call his bluff but now this might cause them to re-think that.
IE
Hall of Famer

I wonder if Rodgers is losing some of his competitiveness... some of the "chip" he's had since his draft experience. Looking back at that loss where he sort of lost the game by forcing passes instead of just running the ball into the end zone ... maybe that was a tell.

He's got a fortune and a future in broadcasting and his young movie star. Maybe he will milk it and draw it out. Packer fans will hate him for a while. But not forever and regardless I'm pretty sure he doesn't care too much about that. He could probably "retire" next year and then after two years off come back and have someone pay him $100MM for two years to get them over the top. It isn't like he is going to be "out" a bunch of money in the big picture.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Looks like an opt-out year does not count as a service year in terms of fulfilling the contract.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Captain Kirk said it best....

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Packer fans have to be shitting themselves this off-season.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:14 pm Packer fans have to be shitting themselves this off-season.

lol
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i think technically it'd be crazy if we did know what the future holds.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

I think the packers hopes for Rodgers are about like a snowball in hell. I believe that deep inside he doesn't give a rip about those fans or that team and I can't say as I blame him very much for that.

The soft side of me recognizes that the poor f***er didn't get to choose his pro team in the first place - the chips fall where they may and he has made the most of it. That said, to be perfectly clear, my bottom line is f**k Rodgers along with that entire cheesy organization and each and every one of their s***head fans.

Personally, I hope he plays a couple more years - wherever he ends up I do look forward to beating him in a big game, with no BS excuses about a crappy play call from the bench, and regardless of any help he gets from the zebras. That would be a decent outcome of all this sniveling, driveling drama, in my most humble opinion.

Then let him limp into TV stardom.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Rodgers has signed contracts to stay in GB since his rookie year. Any player can get out from a team they don’t want to play for after their rookie deal is up, even if they get tagged once or even twice. He could have left GB years ago but chose to resign there.

I think he’s just an ego maniac and is clashing with some new front office folks that aren’t worshiping the ground he walks on - and had the nerve to succession plan.

Screw him and screw the Packers.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Looks like we're going to find out by tomorrow if Rodgers is going to opt out for the year and save himself $20M over retiring. Or he can just play. But it sure seems like Friday is the deadline to find out.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:26 pm Screw him and screw the Packers.
OH I RECEIVED THAT ONE!

Artbest
Player of the Month

Reports are that Devonte Adams is signing a huge extension with Green Bay - guessing he doesn't do that unless Rodgers indicated that, at the very least, he's playing in 2021.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Artbest wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:14 am Reports are that Devonte Adams is signing a huge extension with Green Bay - guessing he doesn't do that unless Rodgers indicated that, at the very least, he's playing in 2021.
Not necessarily. If he gets his dough, then he gets paid with or without Rodgers. Further, what makes Adams look better? Being a star with Rodgers throwing the ball or Love throwing it? In the first case, arguably the greatness is largely due to Rodgers. But if he does it with the inexperienced Love chucking it, the HOF talk begins.

I'm not saying you're definitely wrong. I don't know. But your conclusion isn't nearly as certain as you're making it out to be.

Welcome to the board! :-)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

dplank
Hall of Famer

He’s playing, because Bears
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

It is all about $$ when you have not hit the huge payday. GB can probably pay Adams more than anyone. If they pony up the $$, he will be like "Aaron who?"
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Artbest wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:14 am Reports are that Devonte Adams is signing a huge extension with Green Bay - guessing he doesn't do that unless Rodgers indicated that, at the very least, he's playing in 2021.
It's who's throwing him the ball that matters.

We're gonna stick it so far up Green Bay's ass this year they'll be shining our shoes with their teeth.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Friday's silence is a pretty strong indication (to me anyway) that Rodgers will be showing up for TC in Green Bay. :thumbdown:

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Vegas line on Pack victories has fallen to 9 with all of the uncertainty. The sentiments are shifting to him playing in 2021, he doesn't want to give up a year of mega-dollars.
dplank
Hall of Famer

If I didn’t hate the Packers so much I’d be all in on the over
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:27 pm If I didn’t hate the Packers so much I’d be all in on the over
The over would be tempting, I think Rodgers will return. I had to check several betting sites. They're not listing the Packers for a win total, must be too much confusion.
WagonForce
MVP

I think Rodgers will play. My suspicion is he has (legit) grievances with Packers leadership and is enjoying putting the screws to them but the real driver here is that he just doesn't want to participate in offseason activities. The situation with management has given him an excuse to do what he already wanted to do, which is relax and enjoy some time off. He's made comments in the past about how, for veteran players, the additional healing time that comes from less offseason work is more valuable than the benefits of going through it. This way he can be 'selfish' and a lot of the scrutiny is directed at the team instead of at him.

The parallel with Favre here is interesting to me. Near the end of his career, it was clear he wanted to play but didn't want all the extra work and resulting wear and tear on his body. He was confident he could get results on Sundays but was less and less willing to work through the grind. He would dance around retirement, avoid as much of the offseason activities as possible, then 'want to play again'.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

I hope you guys are right so we can kick his ass two or three times this year while he's still in packerville.