Excited Delirium Over Fields

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Are any of you guys still on a high over getting Soldier Fields?

Like yesterday I'm eating dinner watching fishing, news, and video game speed run YouTubes and I'm staring at the TV thinking holy fucking shit Fields dropped to 11 and we drafted him. These dumbasses were drafting corners and he just kept falling. How does that happen? I mean it's happened before, but still.

This is so stupid right? I mean like the dude hasn't played a down for us yet.

He's EASILY the best pure QB prospect we've ever had. By like a fucking galaxy sized distance.

The problem I'm having is that I've gone full meatball. Never go full meatball. The jersey is already on it's way. It won't be here until July FFS.

The Sorcerer (that's me) is just getting such a huge positive vibe about this. Almost like when the Cubs got Kris Bryant. It ended 40 years of shitty 3Bs and I don't even give a damn about the Cubs.

And then now the Packers are imploding. Is Soldier Fields tapped into a higher power in the universe where just his mere presence make his enemies his bitch? LOL J/K, but maybe that's true.

I don't know guys. I'm just pumped.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Giddy.
Still.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
dplank
Hall of Famer

I wrote extensively about how I didn’t want a trade up to 4 to take QB4 or to 8 to take QB5. I kept hearing 3 firsts plus more and wanted nothing to do with it. I wanted Teven Jenkins.

But then Fields fell. And we got who I think is QB2, and might be QB1, in this draft for MUCH less. Then we got Jenkins in Rd 2 and I about shit myself. I don’t think the universal praise would be there had we not also gotten Jenkins as the “build the lines” crew, myself included, would know we can’t win if we can’t block anyone.

The stars aligned and Pace was bold - kudos to him. My excitement hasn’t slowed down one bit. I wear my Bears shit everywhere and people keep hollering out “Fields!” it’s hilarious. A lot of Bears fans in South Florida!
UOK
Site Admin

I'm excited, sure, but only maybe a 7/10. There's a lot of offseason left, and I'm still not entirely sold on Nagy's coaching and the overall talent of the roster, especially in regards to how competitive and healthy they'll be. Fields could see some game action, but I don't want to ruin him because he comes in during a bad circumstance, gets hurt, or throws a lot of picks and the city immediately turns on him.

There's a lot of bleak avenues that could be taken, especially if the Bears are trending down, which I believe they still are (only marginally, but still). This is very, very much a prove it season for a ton of people not named Justin Fields, and I hope they don't risk destroying his momentum and talent just to go 8-8.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I'm still high over it. His potential is so great. I was living in Seattle back when they drafted Wilson in Round 3. They had just signed FA Matt Flynn (former Packer) for a big contract in the offseason. But Pete Carroll offered open competition in training camp, Wilson won the job, and the rest is history. Not saying the same will happen here but I wouldn't be surprised if Fields doesn't win the job if given the chance. Hopefully whatever happens, Nagy has learned to tailor his offense to his players and not vice-versa.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
wulfy
MVP

I'm still in disbelief to be honest. He was the guy who I REALLY REALLLY wanted, but expected to see in a different team's uniform.

This doesn't happen to us .... we're not allowed to have nice things.

Now, there is a part of me that terrified that we're going to break him.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Still on the high as well. Crazy its only been a week.

Guys, we have NEVER had a prospect like this. Never. Like I'm waiting for someone to pinch me and wake me up from the dream.

God I really hope he doesn't bust LOL.
G08
Hall of Famer

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

I'm excited, but I'm trying not to have expectations.
G08
Hall of Famer

This kid has been groomed to be a franchise QB since he was a kid (watch QB1 season 2 if you can). He's the most physically talented QB I have ever seen on the Bears (arm talent + athleticism).

I've started digging into ass his collegiate games, he is an exceptional talent, I can't wait to see him in our gear because I still can't believe it.

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:05 am I'm excited, sure, but only maybe a 7/10. There's a lot of offseason left, and I'm still not entirely sold on Nagy's coaching and the overall talent of the roster, especially in regards to how competitive and healthy they'll be. Fields could see some game action, but I don't want to ruin him because he comes in during a bad circumstance, gets hurt, or throws a lot of picks and the city immediately turns on him.

There's a lot of bleak avenues that could be taken, especially if the Bears are trending down, which I believe they still are (only marginally, but still). This is very, very much a prove it season for a ton of people not named Justin Fields, and I hope they don't risk destroying his momentum and talent just to go 8-8.

I'm with you on this ... fortunately, the Bears have the luxury of not having to force Fields onto the field ... Dalton could, and should, be a nice bridge to the time when it is the rookie's turn

I don't agree with those who continue to say Fields needs to start immediately ... "you don't draft a guy in the first round to let him sit" is the argument and it is a shortsighted one, especially when it involves the QB

in a perfect world, the Bears have a successful 2021 with 10 wins (or more), Fields maybe gets a series here and there along the way, and then takes over in 2022 for a decade of success ... granted, the Bears rarely live in a perfect world, but they have an excellent situation in which to teach and guide their new prize rather than simply throw him to the wolves, so I hope they are smart enough to do this properly
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Boris13c wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:05 am
UOK wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:05 am I'm excited, sure, but only maybe a 7/10. There's a lot of offseason left, and I'm still not entirely sold on Nagy's coaching and the overall talent of the roster, especially in regards to how competitive and healthy they'll be. Fields could see some game action, but I don't want to ruin him because he comes in during a bad circumstance, gets hurt, or throws a lot of picks and the city immediately turns on him.

I'm with you on this ... fortunately, the Bears have the luxury of not having to force Fields onto the field ... Dalton could, and should, be a nice bridge to the time when it is the rookie's turn

I don't agree with those who continue to say Fields needs to start immediately ... "you don't draft a guy in the first round to let him sit" is the argument and it is a shortsighted one, especially when it involves the QB

in a perfect world, the Bears have a successful 2021 with 10 wins (or more), Fields maybe gets a series here and there along the way, and then takes over in 2022 for a decade of success ... granted, the Bears rarely live in a perfect world, but they have an excellent situation in which to teach and guide their new prize rather than simply throw him to the wolves, so I hope they are smart enough to do this properly
Yeah, given that the Bears don't have a R1 pick next year, it would really behoove them to win 10 or more games and make the playoffs (which I think they are capable of).
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:05 am in a perfect world, the Bears have a successful 2021 with 10 wins (or more), Fields maybe gets a series here and there along the way, and then takes over in 2022 for a decade of success ... granted, the Bears rarely live in a perfect world, but they have an excellent situation in which to teach and guide their new prize rather than simply throw him to the wolves, so I hope they are smart enough to do this properly
I couldnt disagree more. He will take over and have TWO decades of success since QBs can play til they are 40 :D
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Why would I have to wait a year in a perfect world. In a perfect world he is already the GOAT on day 1 and I get my marshmallow now.
IE
Hall of Famer

That was always the calculus for me: Getting QB 2/1b at even the fourth pick? Gotta do it. A bit later... like 6 or 7? A strong move. Pace started making trade offers at 8, is my understanding. Probably because he felt the Lions wouldn't go QB so why the extra spend. But evidently he DID make trade offers to Denver, Carolina, Philly and New York and thank heavens NY bit on the extra 1st rounder next year.

QB 2/1b at 11. AND knowing that at least the Vikes and probably the Patriots were also at the same time angling to move up (I'm guessing the Pats felt they had to get in front of the Vikes in the same way the Bears clearly needed to).

Anyway - I'm definitely in the excited delirium stage. Not just delirious... but excited delirious, which is an advanced stage like turning it to 11. We Bear fans like it at 11 these days.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

We deserve it. A few more years of garbage squad football and my 15 year old might opt to root for another team like Arizona. Let's not let that happen.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I guess I am old and crotchety. I more in a mode of, "I will believe it when I see it." I like Fields, watch some Big 10 football. Just too many years of disappointment to get excited anymore. I love the Bears and football, but have seen too much shit football the past 50 years.

When he starts kicking ass, then I will get excited. Until then, I will wait and hope this team can turn it around.
Xee
Site Admin

I have a really low bar given the performance of the majority of our QBs over the past 20 years so I'm just excited when I see a QB that can throw an accurate deep ball and not constantly throw off his back foot. Anything beyond that will just be gravy.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

I think Nagy is going to fuck things up again.
G08
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:33 am I guess I am old and crotchety. I more in a mode of, "I will believe it when I see it." I like Fields, watch some Big 10 football. Just too many years of disappointment to get excited anymore. I love the Bears and football, but have seen too much shit football the past 50 years.

When he starts kicking ass, then I will get excited. Until then, I will wait and hope this team can turn it around.
I hear what you're saying, man. While I'm cautiously optimistic, this will be the first time I will not purchase (nor ask for as a gift) a jersey of our starting / franchise QB. Something has to change, I'm willing to do my part dammit :lol:

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Still giddy, he’s the QB I wanted is to get above all the others.
The rest of the draft didn’t really matter but could not have gone better. We got Jenkins and Fields??

I think Ryan Pace and his team have pulled it off and recruited some great individuals. Now it’s up to Nagy and his team to build us a great team.

They’ll need time, but there are no excuses for Nagy and coaches now, they have to deliver over the next 2 seasons.

What I think is GREAT is the fact that Fields and Jenkins are real tough badasses and they’re p155ed. Fields is p155ed he dropped to 11 after outshining Trevor Lawrence and Jenkins is p155ed he missed the first round.

I wouldn’t want to face Jenkins when he’s in a bad mood. He is going to cause some pain this season.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I'm beyond giddy.

As far as moving forward, in a perfect world, Fields is able to learn the playbook, grasp the offense and win the starting job in training camp. He then goes on to be the first Chicago QB to tops 4000 yards passing in a season (even if it takes him 17 games) and plays to a Hall of Fame career over the next 15+ years as our QB.

That said, I don't want him put out there until he shows he deserves to be. For some strange reason I trust Nagy on that point. They will go in with Dalton as QB1 until Fields shows it should be him. If that's week 1 awesome. If it's not okay. I just don't want him on the field until it's time. If it's not out of training camp, I hope they work him in with set packages every week.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Nagy was on Colin Cowherds show the other day and said something to the effect of "The worst thing we can do is put him out there before he's ready."

This is the greatest gift I've seen the football Gods give to the Bears. Now Nagy just needs to not fuck this up
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I find myself watching his highlights videos over and over. He’s very talented.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:07 am We deserve it. A few more years of garbage squad football and my 15 year old might opt to root for another team like Arizona. Let's not let that happen.
That happened to me. My son got to watch Favre kick our butts twice a year and wears a Rodgers jersey around these days. Gotta love the Wannstedt era. :frustrated:

I'm cautiously optimistic on the outside, but have mixed feelings on the inside. When I watch tape of Fields, I still can't believe we got him. I'm over the moon that way. But at the same time, I'm concerned that Nagy will try to make him do the Nagy system instead of adapting the system to leverage Fields' strengths. I'm also concerned about throwing Jenkins in at LT. That move just doesn't make sense to me. The defense fading is also a worry of mine. I hope Nagy can figure this stuff out the right way.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Mikefive wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:16 pm
AZ_Bearfan wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:07 am We deserve it. A few more years of garbage squad football and my 15 year old might opt to root for another team like Arizona. Let's not let that happen.
That happened to me. My son got to watch Favre kick our butts twice a year and wears a Rodgers jersey around these days. Gotta love the Wannstedt era. :frustrated:
My condolences.

My wife and her entire family are die-hard Packer fans. I don't know how long he can resist the dark side. Justin Fields is my only hope.
docc
Head Coach

As an Illini Alum and old B Ball player,,I hate Ohio.. I rooted against him EVERY game..every play..

HOWEVER,,it was impossible not to see the talent and heart and moxie Fields has..
I never expected us to get near him..and when we did..
I was yelling and dancing around like the idiot I am !

My kids grew up after Bears SB but are Bears fans..
Amazing what an extension cord with one cut off end will do....
docc
Head Coach

I have it on "secret intelligence" that Fields..Jenkins and select players are being locked in a cold War era bunker until AFTER the Chinese debris is safely on the ground in Green Bay..
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

docc wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:55 pm I have it on "secret intelligence" that Fields..Jenkins and select players are being locked in a cold War era bunker until AFTER the Chinese debris is safely on the ground in Green Bay..
Wouldn't it be amazing if the Chinese debris crashed right on the 50 yard line at Lambeau and detonated that place?

It would turn the Packers into an even bigger sympathetic figure than they are now, but it would be worth it.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I loved this article and the video, which pretty much sums it up:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bears-draf ... 58457.html
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.