Tebow signs 1yr deal w/Jags as a TE

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I've always like Tebow - didn't think he was much of a QB but always like the guy and wanted him to change positions and try to succeed.

He says he coming back as a TE. I guess he just loved the number 15 so much he wasn't willing to make the change before. But with the new rule change regarding TEs being able to wear 15, I guess he decide he could try a come back.

Don't think he makes it out of training camp but Myers loves the guy, so who knows. if he can make it close maybe they give him a shot. :evilgrin:
IE
Hall of Famer

Didn't he already have a shot as HBack?
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
dplank
Hall of Famer

His fame has already granted him more opportunities than other equally deserving athletes, so for that reason - fuck him. :flick:
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

just one of the absolute weirdest sports careers ever. why did he get so many god damn chances at multiple sports even though he's not good at anything? people just like him i guess.
docc
Head Coach

He kneels very well...
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

dplank wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:44 pm His fame has already granted him more opportunities than other equally deserving athletes, so for that reason - fuck him. :flick:
Shouldn’t you be mad at Jacksonville?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

He might be the greatest College QB of all time

Its also why using College stats is largely dumb
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

It's working, peeps are talking about Tebow and Jax. The focus is off of Lawrence and predominantly on a guy that a majority of sports fans hate (don't know why) who will at best be a backup if he even makes the team.

Meyer and Tebow are close, why not give the guy a shot, nothing to lose. I do believe Tebow is a helluva an athlete and due to his determination and skill can probably MAKE the team. Anything more than that, I am not sure how he will do.

He makes the team, the jersey sales will go thru the roof.
wulfy
MVP

RichH55 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:58 pm Its also why using College stats is largely dumb
But, but ... but isn't that the argument you were using to compare Haskins and Fields in the Delirium thread?
wab
Mod

I'm not sure why everyone hates Tebow. He was never a great NFL player, and this is little more than a publicity stunt... but I've never understood the personal animosity people have towards the guy.

Except on December 11th 2011. I hated him that day.
wulfy
MVP

I wouldn't say everyone hates him .... I would say he's a very polarizing figure. There are as many who love the guy as there are those who hate him. Almost cult-ish in the adoration.
Z Bear
MVP

Tebow went to high school at Nease, which is in south Jacksonville. He currently lives 3 doors down from Urban Myer in Glen Kernan, so I think this is just a meet your neighbor kind of thing.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Will this guy ever go away? Yes I hate Tebow
wab
Mod

HurricaneBear wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:30 am How is this Bears related.
The forums have been consolidated. There's no longer a Bears specific forum.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

HurricaneBear wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:30 am Will this guy ever go away? Yes I hate Tebow
Why the hate? I understand the "I don't think he's any good" stance people take but I never understood the hate people have for him.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:20 am I'm not sure why everyone hates Tebow. He was never a great NFL player, and this is little more than a publicity stunt... but I've never understood the personal animosity people have towards the guy.

Just watched that game a few weeks back. That is about as frustrating a game as a Bears fan can watch.

I also do not understand the hate for Tebow. He has never played for the Bears, never made a bone headed play for the Bears, so he is just a guy to me.
Xee
Site Admin

It's just weird. Hiring a 33 year-old who has been out of the NFL for 6 years to compete at a position he hasn't played since high school, 18 years ago?

I have to agree with @wab, the only thing that makes any kind of sense is that the Jaguars are just doing this to get their name in the press a bit more.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:25 am I wouldn't say everyone hates him .... I would say he's a very polarizing figure. There are as many who love the guy as there are those who hate him. Almost cult-ish in the adoration.
And that answers most of the original question, too.

A lot of people are annoyed by the unjustified circus and adoration that follows him everywhere.

A secondary reason is that he's somewhat more in your face with his religion than your average athlete.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Yahoo Sports - Tebow top article. MSN Sports - first Jag article is about Tebow. Takes pressure off of Lawrence and Meyer. People fixated on Tebow, he will be the story through OTAs, camp and probably longer.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Surprised that the Texans missed on him!
xyt in the discord chats
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:46 am

A secondary reason is that he's somewhat more in your face with his religion than your average athlete.
And anyone who thinks it's complete bullshit when people scream STICK TO SPORTS at black athletes talking about social issues while Tebow gets that free pass knows exactly what'sup.
wab
Mod

RustinFields wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:07 pm
Moriarty wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:46 am

And anyone who thinks it's complete bullshit when people scream STICK TO SPORTS at black athletes talking about social issues while Tebow gets that free pass knows exactly what'sup.
Ok. But what about the people who think it's fine for both to do both?
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:16 am Yahoo Sports - Tebow top article. MSN Sports - first Jag article is about Tebow. Takes pressure off of Lawrence and Meyer. People fixated on Tebow, he will be the story through OTAs, camp and probably longer.

I don't hate Tebow, but I do hate Meyer (never had a job he couldn't quit ... and I think his "health reasons" excuses are just bullshit)

if signing Tebow as a distraction really was Meyer's motivation to sign him, then he is much smarter and craftier than I thought ... Tebow will earn his check even if he rarely gets on the field, though I am sure there will be some special Tebow packages to ensure attention remains with him
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

wulfy wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:25 am I wouldn't say everyone hates him .... I would say he's a very polarizing figure. There are as many who love the guy as there are those who hate him. Almost cult-ish in the adoration.
Wait a second. Has anyone every seen him and Donald Trump at the same time??? :evilgrin:
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Maybe Wulfy can check me on this, but I was of the impression that the Jags are severely starved for a fan base. Tebow is a local hero with a HUGE Jacksonville following. So it makes sense. He's also a load to bring down running the ball. Or at least he used to be.
wulfy
MVP

Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:57 pm Maybe Wulfy can check me on this, but I was of the impression that the Jags are severely starved for a fan base. Tebow is a local hero with a HUGE Jacksonville following. So it makes sense. He's also a load to bring down running the ball. Or at least he used to be.
That's still accurate, YdB. It's been quite a while since I've lived there, but Jacksonville is a college sports town vs a pro sports town. Also, not a lot of corporations are HQed in Jacksonville (it's the land of Regional Offices and Call Centers) - so they struggle getting some of that big dollar corporate money on suites, sponorships, etc. It's one of the reasons why they play two home games a year in the UK. (The other being that Shad Khan also owns a Premier League team: Fulham FC).
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:12 pm
RustinFields wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:07 pm

Ok. But what about the people who think it's fine for both to do both?
What about em?
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Otis Day wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:30 am It's working, peeps are talking about Tebow and Jax. The focus is off of Lawrence and predominantly on a guy that a majority of sports fans hate (don't know why) who will at best be a backup if he even makes the team.

Meyer and Tebow are close, why not give the guy a shot, nothing to lose. I do believe Tebow is a helluva an athlete and due to his determination and skill can probably MAKE the team. Anything more than that, I am not sure how he will do.

He makes the team, the jersey sales will go thru the roof.
People upset are being stupid. I can recall the Bears bringing in basketball players with no experience or only one season of football into training camp over the years.

Every team has experiment project type players they bring into camp.
docc
Head Coach

..it's Geebus will..
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:06 am
wab wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:20 am I'm not sure why everyone hates Tebow. He was never a great NFL player, and this is little more than a publicity stunt... but I've never understood the personal animosity people have towards the guy.

Just watched that game a few weeks back. That is about as frustrating a game as a Bears fan can watch.

I also do not understand the hate for Tebow. He has never played for the Bears, never made a bone headed play for the Bears, so he is just a guy to me.
People hate Tebow because he's religious and that makes them uncomfortable. Almost as if they'd rather the guy cheat on his wife, do drugs, and spend all his money on strippers.

I love the guy and wish this planet had more people like him. There's nothing wrong with him being religious and he does a lot to help people.

That being said, obviously his career as a QB didn't work out. Although that playoff game he won against the Steelers in OT with an 80 yard TD was fucking amazing.