Kwiatowski article - short

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Yeah. Still think they should have kept him over Trevathan.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:12 am Yeah. Still think they should have kept him over Trevathan.
Ditto
G08
Hall of Famer

I had concerns with his speed/lateral agility to cover in today's NFL... kid has proven me wrong. I thought he was just a down-hill thumper.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
WagonForce
MVP

For me, between Danny T and Kwit, the decision was a 'tie' and it should have gone to the younger player. Glad to see Kwit doing well with the Raiders.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:12 am Yeah. Still think they should have kept him over Trevathan.
This.
docc
Head Coach

Always wanted him on Bears... Younger..good motor..
thunderspirit
Head Coach

WagonForce wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:02 pm For me, between Danny T and Kwit, the decision was a 'tie' and it should have gone to the younger player. Glad to see Kwit doing well with the Raiders.
Cosigned.

I'm pretty sure their viewpoint was that they weren't sure they could trust Smith calling the defensive plays. It was a poorly-conceived calculated risk.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

After the successful half year audition of Kwit, it was a real head scratcher to see them let him walk and then hand out that kind of money to DT.
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

I would have preferred KPL over both of them to be honest. Oh, and why we're at it resign Floyd and stay away from Quinn. Ah, hindsight!
cblaz11
MVP

I remember hearing from Jahns that Kwiatkowski wasn’t willing to accept the money that he eventually signed for so the Bears had to move on to plan b before they lost both.

I believe DT is much better then he showed last year and I’m hoping we see that in 2021.
IE
Hall of Famer

I thought Kwit was a no-brainer. And even KPL. But if I had to chose it was Kwit because he is an old school overachiever and has the fire and the passion. lol Just kidding - he seems really smart and has great anticipation and is just a playmaker.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
wab
Mod

cblaz11 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:38 am I remember hearing from Jahns that Kwiatkowski wasn’t willing to accept the money that he eventually signed for so the Bears had to move on to plan b before they lost both.

I believe DT is much better then he showed last year and I’m hoping we see that in 2021.
That's the story I recall on Kwit. So they let him go and got the comp pick.

I thought they would pick KPL over wither DT or Kwit honestly.
malk
Head Coach

We need to get much better at resigning our own draft picks, fair enough on any given player thinking they can get more elsewhere and then not doing but at the point a pattern starts to emerge...
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

malk wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:56 pm We need to get much better at resigning our own draft picks, fair enough on any given player thinking they can get more elsewhere and then not doing but at the point a pattern starts to emerge...
Hopefully we get better at not drafting as many turds first. :evilgrin:
Z Bear
MVP

The Bears have signed plenty of their picks long term. Tarik Cohen, Cody Whitehair, Eddie Goldman, Eddie Jackson and Pat O'Donnell on the current team. Kyle Fuller, Kyle Long, Tilman, Briggs, Urlacher, etc. The Bears just need to get better at drafting players early that deserve the second big contract, that is where they are failing.
WP.1
Player of the Month

all season less playing time. now last game vs. Chiefs Kwit inactive.
Wounded Bear
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:14 am After the successful half year audition of Kwit, it was a real head scratcher to see them let him walk and then hand out that kind of money to DT.
That was part of Ryan Pace’s geriatric movement at the time. Danny Trevathan, Robert Quinn, and Jimmy Graham…

He’s a regular George/Bruce Allen kind of douche.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
IE
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:14 am After the successful half year audition of Kwit, it was a real head scratcher to see them let him walk and then hand out that kind of money to DT.
This ^. By the time they wrote the check, Kwit had shown he was a complete linebacker who had a nose for being in the right place, and a playmaker. It was obvious the kid could play. Keeping already-declining Danny was a headscratcher for me. Of course they actually were deluded enough to think that they were in "win now" position with Foles there if Mitch didn't pan out. I really think that was the crux of the decision.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

WP.1 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:00 pm all season less playing time. now last game vs. Chiefs Kwit inactive.
Disappointing to see. I still would rather have kept him than Trevathan given his age and injury history. Maybe it's just a glitch in his career because he's been a very solid performer prior to this year.

Jordan Howard had a horrendous year last year after signing with Miami and wound up back on the Eagles where he played in a couple of games. He started this year on their practice squad but was elevated to the active roster in Week 8 and has put up the following numbers:

12 carries, 57 yards, 4.8ypc, 2 TD
17 carries, 71 yards, 4.2ypc , 1 TD
12 carries, 83 yards, 6.9ypc

3 Game Totals:
41 carries, 211 yards, 5.1ypc, 3 TD

Maybe Kwiatkoski just needs to be with a different team.
spudbear
MVP

The Kaiser wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:33 am I would have preferred KPL over both of them to be honest. Oh, and why we're at it resign Floyd and stay away from Quinn. Ah, hindsight!
I was on the KPL bandwagon too. He made a splash for the WTF's last year but they didn't keep him. He's in Houston now and has only appeared in a handful of games. IIRC at the time he was viewed as "just a guy" and the Bears had a couple of those on the roster at ILB already.

In hindsight keeping Kwit would have been the best move. Danny T has not been reliable and continues to miss more plays than he makes. Unfortunately the Bears have not had any other young talent in the pipeline to develop, hence the pickup of Ogletree and Jones. Iggy was supposed to be the guy to eventually pair with Roquan but he seems to be a professional ST'er.

I can see Pace picking another ILB project.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
dplank
Hall of Famer

Kwit got overpaid, Pace was right to let him go and that has played out to Pace's favor. Danny also got overpaid tho, so that counts against.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:10 pm Kwit got overpaid, Pace was right to let him go and that has played out to Pace's favor. Danny also got overpaid tho, so that counts against.
I would take kwit and his contract over the albatross contract of Danny t’s 7 days a week.

Kwit is injured again though.
malk
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:06 pm
WP.1 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:00 pm all season less playing time. now last game vs. Chiefs Kwit inactive.
Disappointing to see. I still would rather have kept him than Trevathan given his age and injury history. Maybe it's just a glitch in his career because he's been a very solid performer prior to this year.

Jordan Howard had a horrendous year last year after signing with Miami and wound up back on the Eagles where he played in a couple of games. He started this year on their practice squad but was elevated to the active roster in Week 8 and has put up the following numbers:

12 carries, 57 yards, 4.8ypc, 2 TD
17 carries, 71 yards, 4.2ypc , 1 TD
12 carries, 83 yards, 6.9ypc

3 Game Totals:
41 carries, 211 yards, 5.1ypc, 3 TD

Maybe Kwiatkoski just needs to be with a different team.
Yep. System fit and being given the opportunities is a massive part of NFL success. How many high draft picks have gotten better by the end of their rookie deal in a way that lower picks and journeymen just never get an opportunity to.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Burl
Crafty Veteran

Kind of like how Leaonord Floyd has more sacks than Mack this year and last, not to mention Quinn.