Justin Fields at rookie camp

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I know how many of you guys feel about coach's presser, but I thought I'd post this for everyone.

I like this kid. He's well spoken and has the "humble confidence" about him. I've not hidden my total dislike of Ohio State, but man, I really really like this guy. Most likely because he first went to real school in the best conference.

I think he has what it takes to succeed. I had a similar feeling about Trubisky but didn't have that feeling until after we drafted him and think I talked myself into thinking he would be great because he was then a Bear and we needed him to be great.

I started feeling real good about Fields BEFORE we drafted him and was hoping that somehow, someway we could pull off drafting him and not cripple the team by moving up too far and paying too much.

I simply get more excited about this team this year every day!!!!!!!!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

In the YouTube on the Bears channel, Fields says something to the effect of if you’re not here to be a starter then you don’t belong here.

I’m in love. FINALLY someone bringing a culture of winning and the expectations required to achieve it.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:05 pm In the YouTube on the Bears channel, Fields says something to the effect of if you’re not here to be a starter then you don’t belong here.

I’m in love. FINALLY someone bringing a culture of winning and the expectations required to achieve it.
Abso-freaking-lutely!!!!!

But at the same time he talks about how coaches and player must trust each other and if Nagy says he needs to sit, he's fine with it. That's what I was referring to with his humble confidence. He knows he can do it, but understands he still needs to listen to those around him.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:17 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:05 pm In the YouTube on the Bears channel, Fields says something to the effect of if you’re not here to be a starter then you don’t belong here.

Abso-freaking-lutely!!!!!

But at the same time he talks about how coaches and player must trust each other and if Nagy says he needs to sit, he's fine with it. That's what I was referring to with his humble confidence. He knows he can do it, but understands he still needs to listen to those around him.

Ark - the god lord willing lets hope he takes it one day at a time
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Fields is a great kid. We’re lucky and blessed to have him. I can’t remember the last player we’ve had whom I’ve wanted to see succeed since this guy. I root for all our players, but you know what I’m sayin.

Like you said, he’s smart enough to know where he is in the process.

Wait and see, but in time we are going to be saying Thank You Lord for John DeFilippo.
Xee
Site Admin

Fields seems like the type of guy who's never going to say a lot. I really enjoyed the one with Jenkins though.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Jenkins and Fields would make a good buddy cop movie.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Jenkins asking if Chicago had any skyscrapers because he's never seen one cracked me up.
GSH
MVP

usually when players give that kind of juice to the press, its because you feel like its an expected script.

nah, this kid means it.

i dont know what to do with my hands to be honest.
UOK
Site Admin

UOK
Site Admin

At one point Friday, Nagy noticed Fields pull a receiver aside and correct him on the intricacies of a certain route. Nagy was impressed to see that on Day 1.

“He seemed super calm,” Nagy said. “A lot of times in these camps, things seem a thousand miles per hour, and it didn’t seem that way [for Fields], from where I was. The ball did not touch the ground very much in the reps that he had passing the football, so that part was good.”

https://www.shawlocal.com/bears/2021/05 ... in-fields/
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

He’s the anti-Cutler in attitude.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
grendel2000
Journeyman

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:07 pm Jenkins asking if Chicago had any skyscrapers because he's never seen one cracked me up.
I laughed my ass off at that. I mean, did they pick the kid up in the back of a box van with no windows? Could he not SEE Chicago between the airport and Hallas Hall???!!!
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Jenkins will be the Bears best Quote guy on the OL since - checks notes -

Gabe Carimi

What could go wrong?
dplank
Hall of Famer

I believe there are things you can learn from the presser. Not anything based on what exactly they say, more in how they say it and how they present themselves.

You can get a feel for their general intelligence and confidence. I was ROASTED on the old board for noting in Mitch’s first presser that he had kind of a dumb look on his face, and didn’t appear confident. He had, and still has, “dumb eyes”. No reactions, just masking everything and he came off as slow and scripted - not genuine. I always believed he lacked confidence. Nagy being up his ass every two seconds didn’t help IMO. Anyways, everyone said I was wrong to make the observation but facts are facts, it did turn out to be correct. I’d never base a full assessment on something so flimsy, as the straw mans will surely claim any minute now, but I firmly believe you can get some sense of a persons mental makeup (intelligence and confidence) from these things. If you’ve ever worked in sales, you’ll get it.

So with Fields I get a TOTALLY different vibe. He’s confident with the press, genuine, not searching for Bull Durham platitudes just being himself. He exudes confidence, real confidence. He’s also sharp, you can see he’s already kinda bored with the dumb questions. The way he answers them you just get the sense he’s already “been there done that”.

Anyhow, teeny little piece of eval here, but I am an early believer. Gut feeling that needs to be thoroughly vetted, but my immediate gut feel on Mitch was “this is too big for him” and with Fields it’s “He’s got this”
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

dplank wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:16 am I believe there are things you can learn from the presser. Not anything based on what exactly they say, more in how they say it and how they present themselves.

You can get a feel for their general intelligence and confidence. I was ROASTED on the old board for noting in Mitch’s first presser that he had kind of a dumb look on his face, and didn’t appear confident. He had, and still has, “dumb eyes”. No reactions, just masking everything and he came off as slow and scripted - not genuine. I always believed he lacked confidence. Nagy being up his ass every two seconds didn’t help IMO. Anyways, everyone said I was wrong to make the observation but facts are facts, it did turn out to be correct. I’d never base a full assessment on something so flimsy, as the straw mans will surely claim any minute now, but I firmly believe you can get some sense of a persons mental makeup (intelligence and confidence) from these things. If you’ve ever worked in sales, you’ll get it.

So with Fields I get a TOTALLY different vibe. He’s confident with the press, genuine, not searching for Bull Durham platitudes just being himself. He exudes confidence, real confidence. He’s also sharp, you can see he’s already kinda bored with the dumb questions. The way he answers them you just get the sense he’s already “been there done that”.

Anyhow, teeny little piece of eval here, but I am an early believer. Gut feeling that needs to be thoroughly vetted, but my immediate gut feel on Mitch was “this is too big for him” and with Fields it’s “He’s got this”
Yeah, he definitely gives off some “alpha” vibes I never saw from Trubisky. Just in that 10 second clip above you can see it.

“Bear down, baby!”

Love it.
grendel2000
Journeyman

dplank wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:16 am I believe there are things you can learn from the presser. Not anything based on what exactly they say, more in how they say it and how they present themselves.

I had a very similar conversation last night explaining how I always read Trubisky's body language and facial expressions as sort of a not very bright puppy. Likeable? Absolutely. Stone cold / LEADER? Never in a million years. He just seemed to be doing the things he thought you were supposed to do to ACT the part as opposed to actually BEING it. That said, I pretty much kept it to myself and always crossed my fingers for the guy.

Fields seems a very different animal. I found one part of his QB1 appearance back in his HS days very revealing: He made some comment about how his dad had taught him at a young age to always be aware of what you are projecting to those around you through your body language and demeanor. Once I saw that it all clicked for me. I struggle just a bit in a weird way with his always on "stone cold" demeanor at this point in his career. I mean, part of me WANTS to see at least a tiny bit of giddiness at being a NFL QB for one of the league's founding franchises, ya know? But when I frame his demeanor in light of that comment he made I totally get it - he's taking care of business and I have to respect that.

Even so, the few moments when he broke through his "stone cold" face and smiled / laughed in his interview were a refreshing glimpse of his humanity. My personal opinion is that he could afford to show a bit more of this human side of himself. Still, no complaints!

I'm excited about this kid!
dplank
Hall of Famer

grendel2000 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:05 pm Likeable? Absolutely. Stone cold / LEADER? Never in a million years. He just seemed to be doing the things he thought you were supposed to do to ACT the part as opposed to actually BEING it.
Well put, same feeling here.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Dplank, I saw the exact same thing in Trubisky. He always had a look in his eye that he just wasn't quite sure why he was there, and that he was afraid everyone was going to realize he was way in over his head. Sort of scared/lack of confidence look. A reporter would ask him a question and he looked afraid that he was going to give the wrong answer, and he wasn't confident that he had the right one.

Justin Fields success at Ohio State is going to pay off in a big way once he sees the field.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:35 pm He’s the anti-Cutler in attitude.
Well that's boring. Will he ever even be the star of an E! reality series?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Roasted with reason

Why don't you watch 20 press conferecnes - God Lord Willing take it one at a time - and then look at all their Eyes

It's a foolhardy exercise

If you are watching Pressers trying to learn - I feel for you - It's a Fools Errand

Government Employees - Kremlinogists as it were - Trained to detect Soviet intentions - Actually were terrible a that job.

Job interviewers are notoriously bad at gleaning meaningful information about job applicants in face to face interviews

Who didn't think Gabe Carimi said the right things?

Did Kyle Long's pressers get worse or did his ankle?
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:07 pm Jenkins asking if Chicago had any skyscrapers because he's never seen one cracked me up.

:?
Was he joking?
Or has he never seen a MNF or SNF game involving the Bears?

(If so, he's a lucky man)
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

dplank
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:13 pm Roasted with reason

Why don't you watch 20 press conferecnes - God Lord Willing take it one at a time - and then look at all their Eyes

It's a foolhardy exercise

If you are watching Pressers trying to learn - I feel for you - It's a Fools Errand

Government Employees - Kremlinogists as it were - Trained to detect Soviet intentions - Actually were terrible a that job.

Job interviewers are notoriously bad at gleaning meaningful information about job applicants in face to face interviews

Who didn't think Gabe Carimi said the right things?

Did Kyle Long's pressers get worse or did his ankle?
Predictable. Can't you find somewhere else to troll and insult people? The internet is a big place, I hear Twitter is made for this style of behavior.

Meanwhile, the rest of us can see the difference when a Forest Gump speaks vs when an Elon Musk speaks. Even if they read from the same teleprompter and say the exact same words.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

In 2011, the Seahawks signed Matt Flynn, former Pack QB, to a substantial (for the time) FA contract to replace Matt Hasselback. They then drafted Russell Wilson in the 3rd round and opened uip the QB competition in training camp. Wilson won the job. Will the Bears' training camp offer Fields this opportunity?
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:22 am In 2011, the Seahawks signed Matt Flynn, former Pack QB, to a substantial (for the time) FA contract to replace Matt Hasselback. They then drafted Russell Wilson in the 3rd round and opened uip the QB competition in training camp. Wilson won the job. Will the Bears' training camp offer Fields this opportunity?
I THINK that Soldier Fields takes over as soon as Nagy thinks he's ready. Fields will not be staring into a Surface tablet for the duration of this season.

I believe this for a few reasons:

1) We have something like the 3rd hardest schedule based on strength of opponent. Now I know that can be misleading, but it's what we have to go off of for what our schedule looks like. Dalton is going to go out there and shit the bed thus intensifying the pressure for change.

2) Nagy cannot have a 4-13 season with Andy Dalton at the helm and expect to keep his job.

3) The fans. If Dalton is anything other than Galactus Devourer Of Worlds, people will be screaming for it.

4) Fields himself. The guy can ball. He's a legitimate gold standard QB prospect who is easily the best QB prospect we have ever had. He's going to be outperforming Andy Dalton by the end of training camp. If we have a team where the best guy plays, then to be fair to Fields, he's going to be playing sooner rather than later.

I still can't fucking believe the kid fell to #11 and we took him. Who were these idiots drafting TEs and CBs and before him? Who cares? I'll take it.
wulfy
MVP

Be still my heart …
9A1D7142-B995-4BCF-B469-60C419D863C5.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

While rich's tone could maybe be cleaned up a bit, i do agree with the sentiment... when you want to read something into what someone is saying, you're gonna read what you want into what someone is saying.

There was a time when Mitch was praised for his more quiet humility. To be honest, if Fields ends up flaming out, I am 100% sure people are going to go back to these low-key press events and course correct to "HE NEVER HAD DA FIRE AND DA PASSION."
dplank
Hall of Famer

Rusty, This is the straw man I was talking about, although I don't think you are doing it on purpose so I'll clarify. My comment has almost zero to do with what actual words are being said - they are largely irrelevant. I'm not trying to read into what they are saying, that's not my point AT ALL. It's how the person presents themselves in various situations that you can glean some information from. How quickly do they answer, how confidently, how do they interact in a media setting. Here's the easiest way to make my point:

Imagine Forest Gump giving a Ted Talk from a teleprompter, then Elon Musk stepping up to the mic and giving the exact same Ted Talk from the exact same teleprompter. The words are identical in both cases, so the words are 100% irrelevant in this case. And yet, you will notice a huge difference between the two, right? You can derive some insight into the person's intelligence level even though they are saying the exact same words, that's what I'm talking about here. There's a number of clues given off in these settings. Ever had to "read the room" in a meeting and understand where things are going even though they may not be being said out loud? Maybe you catch a subtle head shake, or arms crossed, or people checking their phones cause they've "checked out", etc etc. No words were said but you know you're losing the room. Or how poker players can derive information about another player from certain tendencies, body language, etc? This is the type of thing I'm talking about. And it's obviously not foolproof, it's just one initial impression - initial impressions can be wrong but I'm a gut feel guy and I trust my intuition until facts prove me wrong, then I won't cling to it.

Fields comes off as genuinely confident. Mitch did not. Fields comes off as quick witted, sharp, even a little aloof. Mitch came off as, well, Forest Gump. But again, it's just one thing. Brett Favre is an absolute moron but a great QB, there's a lot of factors and I'm not presenting this as anything more than the one thing I spotted. As much as negative posters will try to contort my point in to something more than intended, just so as to paint it as stupid.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i just wrote a long thing about your hypothetical situation comparing the mannerisms of a mentally handicapped man and a slick talking conman, and it sounded really insulting so I deleted it and am just gonna say, I respectfully disagree.