One thing I got from Nagy's Presser

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Eriebear
Journeyman

He said , "Don't forget , It's like Andy is like a rookie , coming into a new system " . Interesting . Hope Fields is the better Rookie picking it up . They both now have had time w/ the Playbook , Just start Fields , we know know Dalton can't take us anywhere . Fields has plenty of "Mental Toughness " , look at his career . So tired of hearing about "NFL Speed , Adjustments to the Pros , and "Being in the Spotlight " . If Fields has any problems w/ that , I doubt it . The rest is just smarts , and he has plenty !
dplank
Hall of Famer

Eriebear wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:43 pm He said , "Don't forget , It's like Andy is like a rookie , coming into a new system " . Interesting . Hope Fields is the better Rookie picking it up . They both now have had time w/ the Playbook , Just start Fields , we know know Dalton can't take us anywhere . Fields has plenty of "Mental Toughness " , look at his career . So tired of hearing about "NFL Speed , Adjustments to the Pros , and "Being in the Spotlight " . If Fields has any problems w/ that , I doubt it . The rest is just smarts , and he has plenty !
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Eriebear wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:43 pm He said , "Don't forget , It's like Andy is like a rookie , coming into a new system " . Interesting . Hope Fields is the better Rookie picking it up . They both now have had time w/ the Playbook , Just start Fields , we know know Dalton can't take us anywhere . Fields has plenty of "Mental Toughness " , look at his career . So tired of hearing about "NFL Speed , Adjustments to the Pros , and "Being in the Spotlight " . If Fields has any problems w/ that , I doubt it . The rest is just smarts , and he has plenty !
I think you should have listened a little more closely because he said that in the context of needing to give Dalton the snaps with the 1’s.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Dalton was absolute dog crap in Dallas.
I don’t see him keeping the starting job long if he does “win” it
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:18 pm Dalton was absolute dog crap in Dallas.
Dallas’ defense was the major problem. And I think he played okay after he recovered from his COVID layoff.

He’s just not a guy that can carry a bad team. And with losing Fuller a first time defensive coordinator and the re-tooling of the line I’m not sure how good they’ll be next year.

But if it is a disaster I’m fine with letting Dalton take the hits, so Fields doesn’t start “seeing ghosts.”
IE
Hall of Famer

The film from Dallas had some here changing their minds and considering Dalton a promising stopgap. So did he play ok and show some stuff (him, not the team)? Or was he bad?

Fields isn't going to see ghosts. It isn't his style.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

This is an obvious point, which we saw last year with Foles, who ironically enough is best prepared to start and play well immediately in 2021. He may be the least talented guy in our QB room, but he knows the system and his teammates better than either Dalton or Fields. That they are going to start Dalton (by all indications) instead of Foles does give Fields the opportunity to start earlier.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:18 pm Dalton was absolute dog crap in Dallas.
Getting COVID and being put into concussion protocol will do that.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I'm open to either guy starting Week 1 really, whoever gives us the best chance to win. I just think our QB situation is so much better than last year it's hard to go wrong here. Fields/Dalton >>>>>>> Trubisky/Foles. I really do like Dalton, always have, he's a solid yet unspectacular player who has very strong leadership and limits mistakes, plus has all the experience you could ask for including playoff experience. Strong arm, good deep ball, and still athletic enough to do some damage with his legs. So if he's out there Week 1, I expect good things - at least as good as can be expected against that stacked Rams D. Note there: I wonder if Raheem Morris is able to keep up that high standard? Staley's gone. Maybe we're catching the Rams at the right time, Week 1 with a new QB and new DC. Damn I wish we were playing them THIS Sunday.
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

I think Dalton will start week 1 like Nagy said. But Matty Boy never said he would remain the starter for the entire year. Andy should definitely start against The Rams and their mauling defense. If you want any chance to win that game you put a veteran in and you don't want your rookie QB's first ever start or game to be against that defense (Aaron Donald in particular). And AD deserves a revenge game against his old team in week 2 against The Bengals.

If things are going well then the coaching staff can stick to Fields sitting and learning and no one can complain. If things falter then Matt has the ace up his sleeve to bring in Fields and say "he's learning so we have to give him time to grow." Fans and pundits can tolerate the offenses ups and downs, then.

If Fields gets the start and struggles you can't pull him to bring in Dalton. Theres no anticipation for that. And once Justin gets the nod he can't be pulled no matter how bad it gets. Puting him in and out of games is the sure fire way to stunt his progress. As long as he gets to play some time this season there's no real reason to rush him in games, early in the season and doing so takes away MN's lone trump card. If the seasons awash.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I think there is a real advantage to almost any QB sitting from the first part of his Rookie Year

Andy Dalton is not a world beater and not the long term answer - he might be a solid bridge QB though and let us have the advantage of letting the Rookie sit and learn

I suspect the plan is similar to the Maholmes experience (Obviously others said this first - but I cosign)