Cutting out OTAs

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

So it appears the Bears won't have their first round of OTAs - https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/news/bears ... on-program.

This seems like an odd move to me. I get that they are still on a voluntary basis, but wouldn't the team want to give players every chance to be together and get the system done - I understand the COVID issue but what about the players that have been vaccinated or just go over things via Zoom or similar method. Our top 2 QBs haven't taken a snap in this system with this terminology so if it was me making the call, I'd want to give them the chance to learn it more.

A move like this favors the Pukers and Vikings as their key players have, for the most part, been working together.

I will say this could be an advantage to Fields. Dalton has to learn Nagy's offense as well and not getting these reps now, could have them be closer when training camp opens and give Fields a better shot at taking the top spot.
Hero
Player of the Month

It was the players that didn't want to show up.

As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to rage on throughout the world, members of the Bears roster have come to make a conscientious decision. On Thursday afternoon, Chicago players announced they will remain virtual for voluntary workouts set to begin next Monday, in a statement released through the NFL Player’s Association. They join the Broncos, Seahawks, Buccaneers, Patriots, and Lions in making the move.

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2021/ ... l-nfl-2021
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I get the players voted that way, but the team eliminated one week. Why not have it and at least do it virtual?

Just seems like we are missing out on time that could be critical for all the guys who haven't been in the system.
Middleguard
MVP

The Bears have apparently, as a team, voted to mail it in this year.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Dolphins are in attendance after the coach negotiated with them to reduce activities and make it more learning focused. Players have more leverage now.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i cant wait til the bears lose their opener and it's because there was one less week of OTA's in May.
dplank
Hall of Famer

The one thing I find funny is how the players complain that their bosses want to “control them year round “. And I’m thinking, you mean like every other employer / job everywhere? I say this and I’m almost always on the players side...
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

They voted is funny as shit to me. I vote to not go to work too. A long the lines of Dplank. Generally I'm all for players trying to get there money and mitigate risk. I also think coaches need to take into advisement players thoughts. But they voted? Ha. Nagy gonna Nagy.
WP.1
Player of the Month

Its not a Bears thing. All teams cut offseason work.
Colts new QB also.
They will continue OTA 2 weeks (1 week only limited training) and players free time in June, July.

Bears will have still 10 days complete offseason training (OTAs and Veteran minicamp).
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

nah, smart football fans know that somehow it's always matt nagy's fault.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I wish we could have voted on skipping two-a-days back in high school.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:45 pm The one thing I find funny is how the players complain that their bosses want to “control them year round “. And I’m thinking, you mean like every other employer / job everywhere? I say this and I’m almost always on the players side...
Counter point:

Most Accountants don't get CTE or blow out their Achilles filing your 1040
Z Bear
MVP

Most accountants don't average $3.5M a year in salary.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:26 am nah, smart football fans know that somehow it's always matt nagy's fault.
Quote me next time. Nagy having the players vote is hilarious.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:42 pm Nagy having the players vote is hilarious.
I hate to discourage kicking Nagy, but I'm not seeing anything where he suggested they vote or could have stopped them voting.

These workouts are contractually negotiated as voluntary. Period.
Players got together and consensus is they didn't want to do it.
No one can make them.

A few other teams have done the same.
(And, frankly, after the Ja'Wuan James fiasco, I'm surprised every team in the league hasn't drafted a Fuck You manifesto to send to the league, along with a photo of their asses.)
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:42 pm
RustinFields wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:26 am nah, smart football fans know that somehow it's always matt nagy's fault.
Oh come on, I wasn't talking about you. I said smart football fans.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:21 pm
mmmc_35 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:42 pm

Oh come on, I wasn't talking about you. I said smart football fans.
Laugh. Good one.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:18 pm
mmmc_35 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:42 pm Nagy having the players vote is hilarious.
I hate to discourage kicking Nagy, but I'm not seeing anything where he suggested they vote or could have stopped them voting.

No one can make them.
True. Nagy has been saying for a bit that he was scaling everything back well before this. Ideally a leader would say something like "talking with the players and staff we will be (fill in the blank)." But I may have jumped slightly before I looked. I still think its hilarious.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:05 pm
Moriarty wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:18 pm

No one can make them.
True. Nagy has been saying for a bit that he was scaling everything back well before this. Ideally a leader would say something like "talking with the players and staff we will be (fill in the blank)." But I may have jumped slightly before I looked. I still think its hilarious.
I just dont get what you find hilarious to be honest, but i'm not very alpha so explain it to me.

A month and a half ago the NFLPA was urging all players to skip OTA's. We know this to be fact:
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... ason-work/

Bear's players announced that along with atleast 15 other teams they'd be skipping voluntary work:
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -15-teams/

This was over a month ago.

So Nagy, in an attempt to get players to show up AT ALL, compromised with shortening the OTA's. The players agreed. It's win/win, players save face and Bear's dont lose out on even more valuable teaching time.

And because some writer used the phrase "voted" this is hilarious how? I'm legit confused.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Its hilarious because I dont want to work either. Its dumb. You are on a bad team with lots of new pieces. I have no idea how much this means to the overall implimentation of anything. But it certainly doesn't help especially youthful players. Its cutting off your nose in spite of your face.
WP.1
Player of the Month

The San Francisco 49ers’ offseason program is finished. Head coach Kyle Shanahan on Wednesday told reporters the team won’t hold another practice prior to training camp (two OTAs and their three-day mandatory minicamp).
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Probably wishes he did this a couple of weeks ago....