Question: Why so many teams passed

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

IE
Hall of Famer

If we can't legitimately defend the reasons why something happened, it is safe to assume that it happened for no good reason. Meaning it happened for bad reasons.

The absence of a clear good reason is certainly not evidence that there must be a reason and we "just don't know". It is absent because there is none - there is no good reason. So we don't sit and wonder and wait for a good explanation that doesn't exist - we identify the bad reasons (the mistakes).

If some want to stop at wondering about the mysteries of life & not seek truth, then sure - we'll see them ignore or spin any attempt to move them off of their personal comfort with false mystery... waiting for their good reason that never comes. Because they kind of NEED there to be a good reason to justify their own beliefs.

And that is the entire point of this thread - looking for good reasons that don't exist but someone desperately WANTS to exist.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

Grizzled wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:49 pm Denver and Carolina surprise me the most, Atlanta and Detroit next. Atlanta, of course, has Matt Ryan and seems to expect him to last for several more years. The Lions just got Goff in a trade and have multiple 1st the next few years so I guess they figure they can snag a QB next year or the year after if Goff doesn't work out. Who in their right minds, though, would bet the bank on Drew Lock/Bridgewater and on Darnold?
Carolina passing on Fields didn't surprise me but Den did? The Panthers just went all in one Darnold so it would make sense to invest in the horse they already have whose still on his rookie contract, instead of one who they would have to invest in as well. Darnold may still be a quality QB who was in a no win situation.

Now The Broncos passing on Agent One for Bridgewater and Lock may be thw "D'oh" moment of the draft IF they don't land Rodgers. In that case hail yeah get stud corner to slow down Mahomes and Herbert so Rodgers doesn't have to match them in a shoot out twice a year.

And going slightly off topic I can see why the Jets and 49ers picked their guys over Justin too...scheme fit. Both of those clubs run the Shanahan branch of West Coast Offense. That variation requires a smaller shifty and quicker QB who run as often (think RG3 in his rookie year). Wilson and Lance fit that bill. Fields is to big and is closer to a pocket passer than the aforementioned. His style of play is closer to Russell Wilson and Patrick Mahomes, the latter of which Kyle Shanahan stated was not a fit for his offense. JF is better suited for the Andy Reid branch of the WCO which Nagy hails from, and why he coveted Fields.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I do not care one iota why other teams passed on Fields because the Bears directly benefitted ... I am still shocked Pace pulled off that deal, but am extremely happy how the draft day events turned out

and if the other teams passing on puts a chip on the shoulder of Fields, that can be a wonderful bit of additional motivation
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Xee
Site Admin

Boris13c wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:31 pm I do not care one iota why other teams passed on Fields because the Bears directly benefitted ... I am still shocked Pace pulled off that deal, but am extremely happy how the draft day events turned out
Same here, I'm just glad we have him. If he goes on to be a franchise quarterback for us, I'll leave it to the football historians to do the research and just read the book when it comes out. haha
docc
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:31 pm I do not care one iota why other teams passed on Fields because the Bears directly benefitted ... I am still shocked Pace pulled off that deal, but am extremely happy how the draft day events turned out

and if the other teams passing on puts a chip on the shoulder of Fields, that can be a wonderful bit of additional motivation
Absofukinlutly !!!
otis
Pro Bowler

Something I hadn't thought of until now is elway. He retired this January. So did his top scout. So you have a new gm, New scout, rumors of Erin wanting out and old crotchety nice fangio not wanting another rookie qb to deal with. On the "Give him teddy and a defense and he will win" train. If elway had held on one more year he would have got his qb. I do believe the bears had divine intervention.