Question: Why so many teams passed

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

RichH55
Hall of Famer

Why do people think that so many teams passed on Fields (please keep the Race comments out of this one unless that is the only reason you think)

It is as simple as people think half the league are morons? (or something less harsh - prone to iffy decisions perhaps?) *

*Please note: Sometimes NFL Teams do pass on guys stupidly - Insert Tom Brady, Insert Aaron Rodgers, insert ....Mac Jones? So maybe it is this simple for Folks

I will post Trevor Lawrence as a different thought process

But that's Jets (they are dumb? Ok. They have the track record)
49ers (trading up and seemingly preferring both Trey and Mac to him - though this has been a good franchise), And they picked a "similar" type QB in Trey and Shanahan is decently regarded as a QB guy - This one is harder to overlook
Falcons (they still like Ryan and thought Pitts could be a generational TE, ok),
Bengals (Have Burrow - this one checks out pretty much 100%
Miami (believe in Tua - this strikes me as less than 100% if you think Fields would have been a #1 in most years )
Lions - Dumb? I mean they very very obviously are in the QB market - they did get the best Tackle by a good margin though
Panthers - Sam Darnold - this is tough
Broncos - Super, super tough - they absolutely needed/need a QB. and that might be the last thing from letting them make the LEAP
Dallas trading down (Have Dak - story checks out)
Philly - Jalen Hurts?
Giants - Daniel Brown - they did invest a high pick maybe they still believe - ok

Minn not trading up (Its not that much of a cost) - file under maybe the Bears offer was just that much better - ok

That's almost half the league that thought another QB was better/ worth more than Fields on a Rookie Contract

We are chalking this all up to NFL Teams are dumb? Maybe race? No smoking guns on the progression speed thing might be a bigger issue than we think as fans?

Sometimes it's a guy lacks Prototype measurables - even the biggest Fields detractor can't say that about him: Good arm, good accuracy (on throws we saw), good winning percentage, good size/speed (Some maybe most of these goods mean great), good stats, etc.

And there is usually a guy that overachieves (Brady's arm isn't elite nor is his speed. Brees/Wilson height, etc, etc, etc)

There doesn't seem to be an obvious analytics based argument on why he fell (Aside from worries about Progressions, mental speed, maybe work ethic (eh - I dont believe that one myself) - That I'd argue
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Trevor Lawrence point

Look I am someone who subscribes 100% to the "He's a generational guy. Period." People kind of comparing him to Mitch in scouts eyes just because they are handsome white guys - Infuriating.

So in almost every way - selling me on a team saying "Yeah we liked Trevor more than Fields - that isn't a slight on Fields " SUPER EASY

That said - For the people who are in the Trevor was 1A, but Fields was 1B camp -

Who knows more about Ohio State football - and would have had better access and information on him than almost any Coach/Front Office than.....

Urban Meyer

But Rich even if Urban had them 1A/1B - you still take 1A in that situation! Even if you think Fields is the 2nd best QB of the last 10 years - you take the guy you think is 1st -FAIR

BUT- if it was 1A/1B and you have this once in a lifetime insight into the Ohio State program

ASK yourself the following:

What do the Jets give up to go from 1 to 2 (or going further)

Take a team like the Broncos sitting at pick 9- Where Fields is still on the Board - Jacksonville calls them up says "You get one chance at this -We will deal you Lawrence for Pick 9 and a boatload - Make me the Godfather offer". (Or Carolina or the Eagles or Giants or any of the 11 (ELEVEN) teams that could have picked Fields )

If you are convinced that Fields is the goods (even still loving Trevor) - Is Trevor 2 extra 1sts+ more better than Fields?
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Fields started sliding down boards when it got out that he had epilepsy. Its not a stretch to think some teams may have dropped him due to that.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:18 pm Fields started sliding down boards when it got out that he had epilepsy. Its not a stretch to think some teams may have dropped him due to that.
You know - fair point
G08
Hall of Famer

It could be a lot of things, I'm of the opinion we got lucky for a change.

The kid ticks off "elite" in a few categories, namely arm strength and athleticism for the position.

Maybe the history of Ohio State QBs sucking in the NFL played a role? Maybe him not being as consistently fluid in making reads played a role? I hope race didn't play a role, but you know what? If it DID, then good for us (but awful for him).

This is the most talented QB the Chicago Bears have ever had (previously was Jay Cutler), he's 22 and has been groomed to be a franchise QB since high school.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Xee
Site Admin

I wonder where the epilepsy thing came from anyway. I believe Fields only commented on it after it got out but I can't find who broke the news in the first place. Seems like a HIPAA violation to me but I'm not in the medical field so I really have no idea if that applies in this scenario.
WagonForce
MVP

I think it's a fair question to ask, especially given how cursed the Bears have been at the QB position. My mind naturally tries to work backwards from any QB move being a complete flop when it's the Bears making it. Here's a few thoughts on some specific teams.

Lions: The Stafford trade gave Detroit a lot of flexibility. With firsts coming their way in 2022 and 2023, if Goff fails they should be in position to have a high pick to begin with as well as having additional ammo to move up and take a QB in one of those years. Instead of taking a QB this year, they grab a top tackle and maybe Goff is revitalized by the change of scenery.

Denver: There was a ton of smoke about the Broncos being a possible destination for Rodgers. Given the suddenness of Schefter's announcement (which was later revealed to be naked click-bait timing rather than some critical source on draft day) it doesn't seem inconceivable that Denver would be scrambling to try and land the reigning MVP and opted for another position at #9 when the clock forced their hand.

Outside of these two, I think other teams passing on Fields can be explained by them already having invested high picks in QBs or in the case of SF, seeing something about Lance they prefer to Fields. Carolina I can't explain but I'll just chalk it up to things breaking the Bears way for a change.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

1. Jags - Lawrence - QB
2. Jets - Wilson - QB
3. SF - Lance - QB
4. Atlanta - Pitts - TE; They obviously still believe that Matt Ryan has some good years left. I wouldn't draft a TE #4 overall. They obviously made a huge mistake here. They could also be trying to do "the right thing" by Ryan and not creating a QB controversy.
5. Cincinnati - Chase - WR - They have Burrow.
6. Miami - Waddle - WR - They just got a new starting QB.
7. Detroit - Sewell - OT - Traded Stafford for Goff.
8. Carolina - Horn - CB - Traded for Sam Darnold.
9. Denver - Surtain II - CB - I believe they were connected to an Aaron Rodgers trade. You never know how close that came to fruition. Even still, you could logically see Fangio wanting a defensive player this high up in the draft.
10. Philadelphia - Smith - WR - Just got a new starting QB.

Of those 10 teams I would argue that Atlanta made the biggest mistake. Carolina was apparently content with Darnold for some reason even over Mac Jones. The rest of the teams just got new starting QBs.

This is just a situation where the dominoes fell in the right order. I think a lot, maybe even all, of those teams are going to be kicking themselves for not taking Fields. It's not like it hasn't happened before.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Xee wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:40 pm I wonder where the epilepsy thing came from anyway. I believe Fields only commented on it after it got out but I can't find who broke the news in the first place. Seems like a HIPAA violation to me but I'm not in the medical field so I really have no idea if that applies in this scenario.
I have nothing to base this on, but it wouldn't surprise me if a team picking later in the round that needed a QB to fall to them leaked this information out hoping it would cause him to slide to them.

Please note, I am NOT accusing New England and the Hoodie of doing it, but . . .
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:49 pm Why do people think that so many teams passed on Fields (please keep the Race comments out of this one unless that is the only reason you think)

It is as simple as people think half the league are morons? (or something less harsh - prone to iffy decisions perhaps?) *

*Please note: Sometimes NFL Teams do pass on guys stupidly - Insert Tom Brady, Insert Aaron Rodgers, insert ....Mac Jones? So maybe it is this simple for Folks

49ers (trading up and seemingly preferring both Trey and Mac to him - though this has been a good franchise), And they picked a "similar" type QB in Trey and Shanahan is decently regarded as a QB guy - This one is harder to overlook
Falcons (they still like Ryan and thought Pitts could be a generational TE, ok),
Miami (believe in Tua - this strikes me as less than 100% if you think Fields would have been a #1 in most years )
Lions - Dumb? I mean they very very obviously are in the QB market - they did get the best Tackle by a good margin though
Broncos - Super, super tough - they absolutely needed/need a QB. and that might be the last thing from letting them make the LEAP
Philly - Jalen Hurts?
Giants - Daniel Brown - they did invest a high pick maybe they still believe - ok

Minn not trading up (Its not that much of a cost) - file under maybe the Bears offer was just that much better - ok

That's almost half the league that thought another QB was better/ worth more than Fields on a Rookie Contract

We are chalking this all up to NFL Teams are dumb? Maybe race? No smoking guns on the progression speed thing might be a bigger issue than we think as fans?

Sometimes it's a guy lacks Prototype measurables - even the biggest Fields detractor can't say that about him: Good arm, good accuracy (on throws we saw), good winning percentage, good size/speed (Some maybe most of these goods mean great), good stats, etc.

And there is usually a guy that overachieves (Brady's arm isn't elite nor is his speed. Brees/Wilson height, etc, etc, etc)

There doesn't seem to be an obvious analytics based argument on why he fell (Aside from worries about Progressions, mental speed, maybe work ethic (eh - I dont believe that one myself) - That I'd argue
I'd break it down like this

Jags - Thought Lawrence was the better QB. Some people like coke, other people like Pepsi (I call the later group foolish).

Jets - Same thing, they just fell in love with the season Wilson put up. Glad he did have that season. I think he might be ok but I think the chance of him being a bust are higher than him being all-pro. I can at least see this argument even though I think they got it wrong.

49ers - first team to pass that I think completely missed the boat. I think Lance is Tebow part 2. He simply isn't an NFL QB. This move will haunt them.

Atlanta - I think they fell in love with Pitts so much they talked themselves into passing on Fields. Perhaps they are doing a psuedo-tank and like many of the QBs in next years class.

Bungles - Normally I'd say, it's just what they do, but they have QB and got him a weapon. Hard to argue that one.

Miami - they spent a top 5 pick on Tua and can't give up in one year. Their mistake was last year when they took Tua.

Lions - gambling that Goff is what people though he was coming out of college. Plus they solved a big problem on their OL.

Panthers - likely thought they wouldn't have a shot at Fields, Wilson or Lawrence so spent draft capital on Darrold and painted themselves into a corner that they had to try and make that move work.

Broncos - no freaking idea. Fangio thinks that defense still wins championships regardless of who is under center????? Just don't get it.

Dallas - have Dak and got more picks.

Philly. I again think it's a team that convinced themselves they had a viable option at QB and wanted to help him out. Got a good player but in 5 years they will be pissed.

G-Men - riding out the Jones train. and think our `1st next year could be very early and if he doesn't pan out can use our pick and their pick to move up to land who they want (although I think their pick alone will let them do that)>
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Stupid premise. Why did nine teams pass on Mahomes? It seems like there were many more teams that needed QBs then:

1 1 1 Myles Garrett Browns DE Texas A&M (before Mayfield)
2 2 Mitchell Trubisky Bears QB North Carolina (oops)
3 3 Solomon Thomas 49ers DE Stanford (Garapolo)
4 4 Leonard Fournette Jaguars RB Louisiana State (Foles?)
5 5 Corey Davis Titans WR Western Michigan (Tannehill, Mariota)
6 6 Jamal Adams Jets DB Louisiana State (Even before Darnold)
7 7 Mike Williams Chargers WR Clemson (before Herbert)
8 8 Christian McCaffrey Panthers RB Stanford (Bridgewater? Really?)
9 9 John Ross Bengals WR Washington (Because they had Dalton before Burrow?)
10 10 Patrick Mahomes Chiefs QB Texas Tech (Traded with Bills before they had Josh Allen)

Even better yet, why did the whole fucking league pass on Tom Brady Five TIMES!

Sometimes the league is just stupid.
Artbest
Player of the Month

Lynch and Shannahan passing on Mahomes can’t be discounted - nor can the fact that they’ve produced but one winning season in the last 4.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:39 pmSometimes the league is just stupid.
I'd say "risk-averse" and/or "misevaluating" rather than stupid, but the larger point is, it happens all the time because they're prospects, not sure things; and sometimes those prospects develop, and sometimes they don't.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Oh let me add: How about Dan Marino, Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Warren Moon, hell Kurt Warner was undrafted wasn't he. I think Unitas a free agent too. How many others?

Yeah, sometimes the reason is because the league managers are just stupid.
rtd
Practice Squad

Its a good question Rich but the real answers will probably never be known. AB , Marshall Plan, Yogi and you give great reasons. It shows how many can explain away a terrible choice. And they did it. As for Fields ,right place right time. Pace did it right this time. As for me I don't care how many teams passed on him, Talent wise and potenial he is off the charts. Head and shoulders over any QB I have seen in a bears uniform since I started watching da bears with dad the second year of Butkis and Sayers. Thats a long time fellas. Bobby Frickin Douglas SMFH.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:48 pm
Xee wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:40 pm I wonder where the epilepsy thing came from anyway. I believe Fields only commented on it after it got out but I can't find who broke the news in the first place. Seems like a HIPAA violation to me but I'm not in the medical field so I really have no idea if that applies in this scenario.
I have nothing to base this on, but it wouldn't surprise me if a team picking later in the round that needed a QB to fall to them leaked this information out hoping it would cause him to slide to them.

Please note, I am NOT accusing New England and the Hoodie of doing it, but . . .
Things like that happen every year - could be - Won't discount it
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 8:08 pm Oh let me add: How about Dan Marino, Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Warren Moon, hell Kurt Warner was undrafted wasn't he. I think Unitas a free agent too. How many others?

Yeah, sometimes the reason is because the league managers are just stupid.
Pundits were also saying this when Jimmy Clausen fell....

It's still a lot of teams passing on him - There is an Occam's Razor argument to be had
RichH55
Hall of Famer

rtd wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 8:21 pm Its a good question Rich but the real answers will probably never be known. AB , Marshall Plan, Yogi and you give great reasons. It shows how many can explain away a terrible choice. And they did it. As for Fields ,right place right time. Pace did it right this time. As for me I don't care how many teams passed on him, Talent wise and potenial he is off the charts. Head and shoulders over any QB I have seen in a bears uniform since I started watching da bears with dad the second year of Butkis and Sayers. Thats a long time fellas. Bobby Frickin Douglas SMFH.
Fair

I wonder how many QBs that would be true for this year - Sadly the answer is probably higher than one would like to be true(*)

(*) Not because the QBs in this class are bad - more so because the Bears history has set the bar so low
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Artbest wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:30 pm Lynch and Shannahan passing on Mahomes can’t be discounted - nor can the fact that they’ve produced but one winning season in the last 4.
I mean they did make the Super Bowl in 2019 - and a good chunk of the issue has been more so Jimmy G's injuries not his play - but Fair enough

They had at least 3 QB over Fields though (probably 4 but I am just guessing on the BYU kid)
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:39 pm Stupid premise. Why did nine teams pass on Mahomes? It seems like there were many more teams that needed QBs then:

1 1 1 Myles Garrett Browns DE Texas A&M (before Mayfield)
2 2 Mitchell Trubisky Bears QB North Carolina (oops)
3 3 Solomon Thomas 49ers DE Stanford (Garapolo)
4 4 Leonard Fournette Jaguars RB Louisiana State (Foles?)
5 5 Corey Davis Titans WR Western Michigan (Tannehill, Mariota)
6 6 Jamal Adams Jets DB Louisiana State (Even before Darnold)
7 7 Mike Williams Chargers WR Clemson (before Herbert)
8 8 Christian McCaffrey Panthers RB Stanford (Bridgewater? Really?)
9 9 John Ross Bengals WR Washington (Because they had Dalton before Burrow?)
10 10 Patrick Mahomes Chiefs QB Texas Tech (Traded with Bills before they had Josh Allen)

Even better yet, why did the whole fucking league pass on Tom Brady Five TIMES!

Sometimes the league is just stupid.

Maholmes was a big wild card in fairness - The kind of wild card people are generally arguing that Fields is not
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:03 pm
RichH55 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:49 pm Why do people think that so many teams passed on Fields (please keep the Race comments out of this one unless that is the only reason you think)

Philly - Jalen Hurts?

Jags - Thought Lawrence was the better QB. Some people like coke, other people like Pepsi (I call the later group foolish).

Jets - Same thing, they just fell in love with the season Wilson put up. Glad he did have that season. I think he might be ok but I think the chance of him being a bust are higher than him being all-pro. I can at least see this argument even though I think they got it wrong.

49ers - first team to pass that I think completely missed the boat. I think Lance is Tebow part 2. He simply isn't an NFL QB. This move will haunt them.

Atlanta - I think they fell in love with Pitts so much they talked themselves into passing on Fields. Perhaps they are doing a psuedo-tank and like many of the QBs in next years class.

Bungles - Normally I'd say, it's just what they do, but they have QB and got him a weapon. Hard to argue that one.

Miami - they spent a top 5 pick on Tua and can't give up in one year. Their mistake was last year when they took Tua.

Lions - gambling that Goff is what people though he was coming out of college. Plus they solved a big problem on their OL.

Panthers - likely thought they wouldn't have a shot at Fields, Wilson or Lawrence so spent draft capital on Darrold and painted themselves into a corner that they had to try and make that move work.

Broncos - no freaking idea. Fangio thinks that defense still wins championships regardless of who is under center????? Just don't get it.

Philly. I again think it's a team that convinced themselves they had a viable option at QB and wanted to help him out. Got a good player but in 5 years they will be pissed.

G-Men - riding out the Jones train. and think our `1st next year could be very early and if he doesn't pan out can use our pick and their pick to move up to land who they want (although I think their pick alone will let them do that)>

Ark - no concern by the number of things that had to happen to make this true though?

I know we as fans have the power of the Press Conference and teams don't - but in theory these all are Professional Talent Evaluators paid a hefty sum -

And I believe both Spielmans also have good ties with tOSU

I believe you do civil law (correct me if Im wrong) - but if a prosecutor brought in a case with this many coincidences I think you might find reasonable doubt
RichH55
Hall of Famer

When the Cardinals fell in love with Kyler Murray - they moved on for a Top 10 pick from the year before

Not one of the 11 teams fell in love with Fields (who I think beats Murray in every measurable?)

I will say maybe the lack of face to face hurt?
WP.1
Player of the Month

Jaguars - surest thing you can get
Jets - probable College best ever QB season
Falcons - QB NFL MVP contract left highly paid not 1 but 2 years
still stupid not to get your local hero QB
Lions - Lions
Panthers - betting on own new rookie QB for 2 season ($11.8/year)
Broncos - aspiration for QB 3x NFL MVP
Eagles - inexplicable but is same GM and his chosen savior rookie QB
stupid
Giants - Dave Gettleman in 8 years first ever trade down (if that not shows confidence in your rookie QB)

49ers - stupid stupid stupid
and is mention few and very quiet about they paid 2x first 1x third.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Brady wasn't that highly rated coming out of college, no suprise he wasn't taken in a high round. Mahomes - too many Air Raid QBs have failed, it's hard to believe hype about one coming out of college. Rodgers - there were a fair number of NFL teams with mediocre QBs and one should have taken him before the Pack. Fields may have been dinged because OSU isn't a top QB school. His efforts might have been downplayed because OSU had a strong defense and running game also. Finally, NFL teams nitpick potential draft picks, especially QBs. The pressure on having a franchise QB has ramped up and teams are reticent about picking the wrong one now.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:13 am Brady wasn't that highly rated coming out of college, no suprise he wasn't taken in a high round. Mahomes - too many Air Raid QBs have failed, it's hard to believe hype about one coming out of college. Rodgers - there were a fair number of NFL teams with mediocre QBs and one should have taken him before the Pack. Fields may have been dinged because OSU isn't a top QB school. His efforts might have been downplayed because OSU had a strong defense and running game also. Finally, NFL teams nitpick potential draft picks, especially QBs. The pressure on having a franchise QB has ramped up and teams are reticent about picking the wrong one now.
Yep - I know why the others fell (Brady specifically I mean he was splitting time in College and none of the measureables besides Height)

Fields - Has every measurable though

And this is kind of the opposite of the "It just takes 1 team" thing (see Raiders and Leatherwood) - this is multiple teams passing

It would be alot easier if I just needed to believe "The Jets are dumb" (Easy enough sale for me) v. "The Jags, Jets, 49ers, Dolphins, Eagles, Giants, Falcons, Lions, and Panthers are Dumb."
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:01 am
Yep - I know why the others fell (Brady specifically I mean he was splitting time in College and none of the measureables besides Height)

Fields - Has every measurable though

And this is kind of the opposite of the "It just takes 1 team" thing (see Raiders and Leatherwood) - this is multiple teams passing

It would be alot easier if I just needed to believe "The Jets are dumb" (Easy enough sale for me) v. "The Jags, Jets, 49ers, Dolphins, Eagles, Giants, Falcons, Lions, and Panthers are Dumb."
Agreed.

When lots of people do something important, dramatic, surprising you have to question.

I can't see any good reason either, though, outside of maybe the epilepsy, where we don't have all the information.
If there's not any additional known concerning info there, though, I have to call that an acceptable risk for 11th, potential elite QB, QB starved team, and all the other top ones off the board.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:29 am
RichH55 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:01 am It would be alot easier if I just needed to believe "The Jets are dumb" (Easy enough sale for me) v. "The Jags, Jets, 49ers, Dolphins, Eagles, Giants, Falcons, Lions, and Panthers are Dumb."
Agreed.

When lots of people do something important, dramatic, surprising you have to question.
I'm not suggesting to not ask the question. It's a legitimate one, not unlike the Tunsil debate in another thread (though, in that case, it's easy to see why teams passed).

At the same time, in 2017 the same Jags, Jets, 49ers, Jags, and Panthers passed on both Watson and Mahomes (as well as the Bears, Titans, Chargers, and Saints in Mahomes' case); in 2018 every other team in Round 1 passed on Lamar Jackson; and in 2020 four non-Joe Burrow teams passed on Justin Herbert.

NFL teams miss. It's possible that the Bears missed on Fields, but it's no less possible that the teams who drafted ahead of them did instead. We've got ample evidence of both happening.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 8:38 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:03 pm

Ark - no concern by the number of things that had to happen to make this true though?

I know we as fans have the power of the Press Conference and teams don't - but in theory these all are Professional Talent Evaluators paid a hefty sum -

And I believe both Spielmans also have good ties with tOSU

I believe you do civil law (correct me if Im wrong) - but if a prosecutor brought in a case with this many coincidences I think you might find reasonable doubt
I'm not following the question???? To me the only team that I think can't justify what they did with a strait face is the Broncos. I can't understand their move at all. Every other pick, I can at least see the "why" behind what they did even if I don't think it was a smart move.
wulfy
MVP

I think you guys are over-complicating this: God Loves The Beloved Bear and Wants Us To Be Happy

/thread
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

HurricaneBear wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:18 pm Fields started sliding down boards when it got out that he had epilepsy. Its not a stretch to think some teams may have dropped him due to that.
I must confess that this was a real concern of mine at first, but my kid said something that greatly relieved that. As I mentioned before, I fought somebody in a Tae Kwan Do tournament in the early nineties who had epilepsy. I hit him with a spinning back kick and he went down and went in to a Fit. I thought I killed him. I mentioned this to my kid as well expressing my concerns.

He replied, "They've probably come a long way with medications in that time." I thought in my best Homer Simpson voice, "Doh!" The fact that there isn't any reported incident of him going into an episode even though he's played football through college must mean that either medications have improved greatly since the nineties (probably true) or that he has a very mild case of epilepsy (apparently also true). I'm not worried about it. He's been hit pretty hard with absolutely no apparent affects.